Idea: Making Pet Taming Challenges Momentous!

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Re: Idea: Making Pet Taming Challenges Momentous!

Unread post by Rikaku »

Worba wrote:
SgtMakkie wrote:Just because x pet doesn't have y ability won't make or break a raid, especially because you can bring y buff with a different pet and it'll do just as much damage (remember they've all been normalised). I'd go so far as to say if the current system isn't anything for you then there are deeper issue's this won't fix.

Regardless of it being meaningless to you as a raiding hunter, for which I can understand being one myself, it should not encourage asking for more that is relevant. Remember the whole buff pet idea was directly aimed at us, giving us raiders the ability to directly help and influence how raids are built. This is a huge step forward and helps hunters get an important spot in some raids (where a specific buff might be missing - common one, Demo shout, if no warrior present).

I'm sorry, maybe I'm prejudiced, but this just comes over as being greedy when we already have so much. While RL traits are obviously easy to find back in pets, that doesn't mean a ferocious snapping turtle should suddenly become a tenacious cunning pet?

Appreciate the toys you have, rather than constantly ask for more.
Sorry, not with you here. I don't think any class could ever reach a point where it would be impossible to think of any improvements; if you want to say this should be a lower priority item, fine. It would make hunter pets cooler (e.g. take something cool and make it cooler still), but it's certainly not a game breaker - I'd rather see the "pet summons with 5% HP and dies if it gets hit before HP is auto-adjusted to 100%" bug fixed before they look at something like this, but that's no reason to dismiss what is in my view an interesting suggestion.
Had to highlight my favorite part.

I'm gonna be as nice as I can, but I have to ask, what is it that makes some suggestions not greedy (suggestions for new families to tame rarely gets called greedy) and others are greedy (like this suggestion)? I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't see any part of this suggestion being greedy. None of the posters or idea suggestions are even that bad or outside of the realm of possibility. Now, I will agree that sometimes, the suggestions are written in such a manner that they do come off as "greedy", or they are just something that doesn't even solve a problem.

But this one does.

A lot of what Blizzard has done is aimed at the "equality" of pets. This isn't supposed to be "just devilsaur, wolves and cats" anymore, you should be free to bring what you want to your raid to help build it.

But in my experience as a raiding hunter, it RARELY even affects my raiding. Maybe we won't have Heroism... or the druid crit buff, but that's about it. The rest of those pets never see the light of day. Which, I mean is fine, if my raid has all its major buffs and abilities handy, then I genuinely don't care what pets do what, but the issue is, sometimes, my guild does lack Gift of the Wild. But they wouldn't ask me to bring a Shale Spider despite me being BM because the dps difference between a Tenacity pet and a Ferocity pet is noticeable. Now, if I could change that spider to ferocity... problem solved :D

Sorry, I just had to get that out, I just don't really see what's wrong with a suggestion. I for one am quite happy with what I have now, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't suggest an overall improvement to the class.

To Acherontia:
What I was thinking for the pvp-buff specific part of the idea, was making the "talent spec" buff slightly larger than the other pets' buffs. Kinda like how when you apply your own debuff to the boss, and it shows up as a slightly larger debuff then the other ones on him? Kinda like that.

I mean I think it'd be fine to have a readily identifiable pet spec, cause you'd still have to figure out the hunter's before they begin to pelt you with arrows.

And on the topic of RL animal debate:

I have to admit, I find it really funny people are debating "RL animals" logic into a WoW debate. I'm sorry, but I've always found such subjects humorous. I mean, c'mon. It's a chaotic fantasy world, RL shouldn't affect how *fantasy* works, that's why its fantasy. I mean cmon moths are ferocity in Azeroth? Obviously no one told them their real life counterpart is anything but (unless you're a coat in a closet XD).

If we were going to bring logic into it:
How come our turtles can charge?
How can an undead bird fly with bandages wrapped all around its wings?
How can the hydra "charge"? It has two bulky legs.

I mean, I could go on, but I think I don't have too.

Now, I'm not saying 'YOU HAVE TO LIKE THIS IDEA", if you don't like the suggestion, Hey that's cool. it's totally fine too. Its a forum for the exchange of thoughts.

But... can we dislike the suggestion without bringing reality into a fantasy game? Otherwise I don't see why we don't apply reality to everything then. It seems weird to apply reality only when its "appropriate to a particular thought". But that may just be me.

Ok I've rambled on. I'll just sit back now.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Yeah, I personally don't really see the RL animal thing, but in case anyone misunderstood what I personally meant--the majority of WoW (specifically the WoW creatures, models etc) herbivores (OR NON-PREDATORY, whatever) animals just don't seem like they'd fit the Ferocity theme very much, and likewise some of the predators don't seem like they'd do very well as Tenacity, and so forth.

Plus other random, specific matchups mentioned, like Tenacity Moths, Ferocity Turtles etc :lol:

I think people just mean that a thematic mismatch is a point against the idea, overall.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Honestly if you take dash out of it, I don't see what's so odd about a ferocity turtle... and factoring in body class, moths wouldn't have access to tenacity...
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Indeed, that's why I think the "body type" idea is pretty cool!
KutiePi

Unread post by KutiePi »

Honestly with the current changes to raid buffs a lot of my pets have been seeing some show time in raids/heroics and the like.

With the agi and crit buffs covered I can bring out my other ferocity pets depending on which debuffs are needed. In certain phases where I need to regen focus asap ie: Shades in ZG or parasites in BWL my cunning pets make a debut. Or if we need a mini tank (I can't count the times my pet has tanked bosses with the help of amazing healers) My little turtle pokes his head out still sleepy.

Dps is important but the differences in the talent trees isn't so big that you still can't use which ever pets you want, you just have to find the right place for them. =)
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Acherontia wrote:Yeah, I personally don't really see the RL animal thing, but in case anyone misunderstood what I personally meant--the majority of WoW (specifically the WoW creatures, models etc) herbivores (OR NON-PREDATORY, whatever) animals just don't seem like they'd fit the Ferocity theme very much, and likewise some of the predators don't seem like they'd do very well as Tenacity, and so forth.

Plus other random, specific matchups mentioned, like Tenacity Moths, Ferocity Turtles etc :lol:

I think people just mean that a thematic mismatch is a point against the idea, overall.

but theres always the odd ones, then theres ones that make more sense like a ferocity slithid, a ferocity ravager, a cunning cat. some dont make sense and while i would love for all options i think the closest we'll ever get is the body type idea. and a tenacity moth wouldnt be too far gone, its a pet its supposed to tank for the hunter, giving it the ability not to be crit wouldnt be so strange. just rename thunder stomp something like windburst.

signature thanks to Kurieno