plz tell me if you think this is messed up or if its just me

Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Re: plz tell me if you think this is messed up or if its jus

Unread post by Lotusii »

Given that this situation is pretty impossible because of threat, I don't think it matters much. I also don't think a different coloured dragon would help all that much. Maybe a little if the people are nice, but it's not going to stop anyone who is a jerk and does it for the lulz. I think hunters SHOULD get them since they don't drop anything, but unless blizz makes it so that only hunters can do anything with them and once it's being tamed no one can take it from you (since hunters are guilty of being mean to other hunters just as much as any other class) rare spawn kill griefing can and always will happen.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

I also don't think a different coloured dragon would help all that much.
\

It wouldn't help with the people who already grief on purpose. However, for those who DON'T follow the forums, or community (I myself drift in and out) they might not even know that they are griefing. The tips during loading screens specifically say that monsters with a silver dragon portrait drop better than average loot. So in theory.. blizzard is helping to ensure that the new hunter rares are also killed by those who don't follow patch notes or the community (again, not everyone does) in order to hopefully obtain some gear upgrades.. or at least something DEable, or that will sell on the auction house. Saying "well, most cata beast rares are meant for hunters now, they should have learned" is a bit much... as not everyone gets cata as soon as it comes out... And people join, and rejoin wow all the time. Someone who's been away for a few years and thinks "Hey, my friend (non-hunter) was talking about patch 4.2... and I really like the sound of the new daily hub... Maybe I'll try again" ... 3 days later, after gaining access and exploring... "Oh hey look! a rare! silver dragon = loot!"

Or.. maybe some people think "Oh look, that hunter is having trouble killing that rare" (not everyone knows anything at ALL about other classes, especially newer players, and it's pretty evident if you casually browse the forums for laughs) "Maybe I should help them!".

So no.. it wouldn't help with one population of griefers, but it could help with others. And it really probably would be a VERY quick change... I can't see it taking more than a couple days of dev time (and that's being generous).
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Bringing up that tip, you'd have to add, "But X color doesn't drop any loot" because if I were new and saw different colored dragon, I'd be all, "Oh hey, what does this drop?"

I think Blizz won't come out and say, "Look, guys. These are hunter only. We're going to make it so you can't touch them. Ever." ever because sure, it makes hunters really happy. But not only will griefers be upset, but there will be a storm of, "Oh look! Blizz is catering to hunters and they don't love me and this isn't fair and they're playing the fave game and D:"

Hell, I think Blizz definitely favors hunters, it's pretty clear from this patch they love 'em quite a bit. But I doubt they'll do something that really keeps rares hunter only, if only because the other 9 classes will lose it.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Im at a toss up on this one because not all rares are for hunters BUT Blizz implied within their own patch notes that these were.. And furthermore they drop nothing so as to why someone would want to kill a rare that gives them no achievement and no drop I'm not sure. Its a waste of time and while these arent strictly restricted to hunters as I said before it was implied that taming is why these pets were put in game and to be honest thats exactly why they were. But on the flip side stealing from anyone is never cool and the original poster just sounds like a troll.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Just give all these pets a title beneath their name--forget Smouldering Darkness.

We need

Deth'Tilac
<Hunter Weapon>

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Bringing up that tip, you'd have to add, "But X color doesn't drop any loot" because if I were new and saw different colored dragon, I'd be all, "Oh hey, what does this drop?"
This is pretty much EXACTLY what I was thinking of. Change the tip to something like "... silver dragon... blah blah... Green dragons, however, indicate a beast intended for hunter tames. All you'll get from killing them is a shed tear." or something like that. They could even add in one of those tips windows when you first select something marked with a green (or hunter.. I say green cause that's our class colour, heh) dragon portait, which gives a similar tip, just because the tips displayed are randomized.

I do agree that something shouldn't be put in to make it so that they can't be interacted with by anyone but hunters... or that they shouldn't be touchable during a tame... (Taming should at least tap them though, so that even if it dies.. the griefer gets nothing, and you can at least take the tear and vendor it for your time spent). I mean... It's an MMO... The reason you play an MMO rather than solo games is for the human interaction. Sure, sometimes that interaction sucks, but so does life. Just remember it's just a game, and you'll have more than one shot at your tame.. Just go back when it's less busy!

I mean.. we need to keep in mind that only the hardcore campers should even be trying to tame in molten front right now anyways... That zone is sooo busy I'm surprised anyone has managed it, to be honest. Even quest monsters are almost impossible to get/find/kill, and my fps drops by over 20% just from everyone that's around.

But yeah.. griefing sucks, but it's not going anywhere. As much as we'd like it to, even if blizzard put mechanics in.. the griefers will always find a way around it. Or they'll move on to grief other people, in other ways. The best way is to develop a personal defense against them.
My Dragon Cave
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

If these mobs are killing hunters so effortlessly unless they do something special to tame them, why wouldn't people want to kill them? They're a challenge. Now, doing it now isn't the best idea because every hunter on the planet is frothing at the mouth about Skarr or Sparklypants or whoever else came out this patch, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Are they put there to be killed - no. Can they be, and do non-hunters(or even hunters!) have every right to kill them - technically, yes.

I have my counterargument to the green dragon posted somewhere...
Let's look at it this way: in the 'rare killer' section we have basically three types of people. People who kill rares knowingly to upset hunters. People who kill rares knowingly under different situations(no hunter available, self defense, etc.). And people who kill rares without knowing any better. Now lets take this different portrait idea and put it into play: people who kill rares for shits and giggles are going to keep killing rares for shits and giggles. People who kill in self-defense and in the absence of a hunter are going to keep doing so. People who don't know any better are going to see a strange colored icon and...well, probably kill the mob anyway. It's just a color. It doesn't say anything to anyone unless you know already that it means 'HOLY CRAP HUNTER PET'.
/shrug

While I can see it helping somewhat, I don't really think it's the momentous change everyone is hoping for. :(

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Unread post by Lotusii »

Nubhorns wrote:I have my counterargument to the green dragon posted somewhere...
Let's look at it this way: in the 'rare killer' section we have basically three types of people. People who kill rares knowingly to upset hunters. People who kill rares knowingly under different situations(no hunter available, self defense, etc.). And people who kill rares without knowing any better. Now lets take this different portrait idea and put it into play: people who kill rares for shits and giggles are going to keep killing rares for shits and giggles. People who kill in self-defense and in the absence of a hunter are going to keep doing so. People who don't know any better are going to see a strange colored icon and...well, probably kill the mob anyway. It's just a color. It doesn't say anything to anyone unless you know already that it means 'HOLY CRAP HUNTER PET'.
/shrug

While I can see it helping somewhat, I don't really think it's the momentous change everyone is hoping for. :(
This is what I was trying to express with my "I don't think this is going to do much" comment. A lot of people don't read patch notes, are not active in the community, look at the tips and or are just jerks. I could be wrong, it's entirely possible but I really don't think it will do much.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Well, that's pretty much the thought I had when reading the idea and suggesting adding in the tips/tutorials for it. Even if it does a little, it's better than nothing. And I honestly can't really get behind all the other suggestions.. while creative.. I just can't see them happening. Other than the idea that the tear should be made absolute trash and worth nothing, heh.

In reality I don't think there ever WILL be a momentous change... Blizzard can't make the game just for us hunters... They aren't likely to go and make .. what do we have now.. 15-20 (or at least getting close, if not over) rare pets which are designed for hunters... They aren't going to go and then make 15-20 new phased areas, and find a way to phase instantly (as of right now, there's almost always SOMETHING which will cause you to have to reload graphics/visual items, or so you don't see the actual change... an explosion with a screen covering smoke column, a scouting mission to take you out of view distance... a "go see _____ first" type quest.. etc, if not an outright loading screen, I don't know if I've ever seen much, if anything phase right before my eyes), either that.. or us hunter will have to face a loading screen every time we stumble across a rare pet we find and wanna tame... Not only would that be a lot of work on their end (because face it.. does anyone even KNOW what goes into creating a separate phase? or how much work it takes?), but then they'd have to do that EVERY time they wanted to add in a new hunter-centric pet with a unique skin and/or model... Which would probably mean far less of them for us in the future, if any.

Probably the only thing that would be "feasible" would be to just make all hunter-centric pets like ghostcrawler. Next to impossible to kill in the first place. In which case they need to get rid of other mechanics, like making them agressive, etc.

All the other suggestions, while creative, and good ideas in theory, would still probably take a LOT of development time. Development time that would not only make something JUST for hunters, but take AWAY something (a challenging kill) from every other class in the game... There would then be people complaining, and that would either not stop for a long long tie, if ever, or demand that blizzard then goes and makes unique content for each class which is unaccessible to any other class. Which, while cool, blizz seems to have done away with for good, back when they decided they didn't want any of the unique class quests for abilities/armor. It would also mean that any actual content patches would probably have to be put off for a long while while the dev team worked out what to DO for each class. And since "our thing" is already done.. that means us hunters would have nothing for a long time.. and then we'd start complaining.. and the circle goes round and round.

Honestly, we should just be happy that blizz took the time to make these for us at all (sure.. some aren't entirely unique.. but they're still there, and people are STILL all "OMG MUST HAS!"). Blizz should put something in to educate the people who unknowingly grief, because as I said.. that loadings creen tip is totally misleading once you hit cata zones... but other than that, just gotta learn to take a deep breath, and wait for zones to die down.. That's what I'm doing before I even TRY (especially after seeing a good half dozen people at LEAST waiting by the floating rocks, and that was just in my view distance).
My Dragon Cave
ServÅntos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by ServÅntos »

and another forum topic that made me fall out of my seat laughing

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743728437

EDIT: i honestly wish this was the first topic i posted

Signature made by Veph
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Wellhow about something like new tameable rares you need to do something to get agro at all, or put them in places that only hunters would seek out. Like make them green unless you have an item or have to do something thatll make thim go after you.. something hunter only.

And for those people who like rare challenges why not add instead new rares that are humanoids/dragonkin/elemental etc and make them hard to kill but drop extremely good loot so it'll be worth actually killing it, instead of dying 5+ times to a rare to get 25g. Cause yah.. thats worth the repair bills. I saw two people kill Anthriss, took them 5 times, I then said "grats, now who gets the 25g to try and pay off that massive repair bill you just took". Most of these rares, except kirix and heck solix to are even easier to kill then it is to tame. Skarr/karkin there only massive damage is used when you hit tame beast.

I think blizzard should put "all tameable rares drop no good loot, but other rares drop great loot" in one of those loading screens. That way its in your face and people know it. And only skarr/karkin/kirix would be any actual threat to kill. But kirix really has such a small agro that I was able to almost run into him no problem, skarr/karkin there are rocks to go around. Anthriss doesnt move, solix is in his lava, skitter to and deth is behind the spire. So when people say well I didnt want it to kill me so I killed it first is just stupid, you basically have to walk right into them to agro them.

And this way rare killers can kill things that are worth it and have that thrill and rare hunters can have their pet, there thrill of finding and a taming challenge.

Its win-win.

edited: for actually making sense typing while waiting on the phone.. lol I make less sense then usual

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I think blizzard should put "all tameable rares drop no good loot, but other rares drop great loot"
This is untrue though. Examples being Jadefang, and ALL pre-cata rare beasts. Also, non-hunters won't exactly know what would be considered "tameable" or not.

As to your first suggestion, that falls in with all the others though. It would require mechanics etc that would have to be specifically coded.. in which case.. read my above post.

I do agree it would be nice, of course. But that kind of stuff would take quite a bit of development. As I said.. we're lucky we got the devtime for the challenge tame systems and mechanics themselves...I think this is one of those instances of "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"... Yes, it's bad right now, and everyone is complaining.. but the patch has been out for a week... In a few months, those areas will be FAR less busy, and as none of the tames are NECESSARY.. we can just wait if we don't wanna risk being griefed.. either that.. or keep complaining.. and have blizz think we're ungrateful and decide not to do stuff like this again cause why put in the dev time when people are just gonna moan about how "unfair" it is? I mean, they gave us a barbershop to test out putting devtime into more cosmetic features... And then they apparently consider it a "failure" so they've put other similar ones on the backburner.. if they're even being considered at all anymore.

I do agree that they should put in some like.. rare/world boss type things more though. Give people more solo challenges WITHOUT having to resort to trying to hunter pets.
My Dragon Cave
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Ijomi »

Acherontia wrote:Just give all these pets a title beneath their name--forget Smouldering Darkness.

We need

Deth'Tilac
<Hunter Weapon>

Acherontia

<Won My Internet>

:lol:

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

This posted on the Bnet forums said it best.
I agree with the masses, thats a hunter pet, you shouldn't have been killing it, drops nothing worth while, it isn't an acheivement to kill, leave it alone. You want to be a hero? When you see it /who for hunters in the area and let them know it's up. I have personally paid 400G tips to two people who spotted a rare spawn and whispered me about it while I was on my hunter close by. MOST hunters will tip you for letting them know, If I'm in the area and someone spots that spider, I'd lay down 1K gold for help taming it and multiple thank yous, if the hunter was in your faction, they should pony up some tip gold for that pet, I sure would have.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

It drops a grey item expressing its desire to be tamed. Few classes have the ability to kill them, not sure how another class would combat Kirix, for example. The patch was very clear to discuss their vulnerability to taming, and how difficult it would be; "Will you be the first to TAME Deth'tilac?" TAME. Not KILL.

Sure, you have the right to kill it. But Blizzard was very very obviously discouraging it. It started with the tears. Now the challenges and the tears. They are slowly progressing towards something like making mobs green to all classes, save the hunter, to which the pet would be yellow/red.

So, I agree that they can kill what they want. But A] surely they would have been better rewarded from a grateful hunter than a dead spider with 25g vendor trash (though the story does seem pretty bogus), and B] at this point, killing Cata tameanle rares at 85 outside of Jadefang is nearly a type of greifing, as killing a rare now offers a buttload of xp. But to be 85 and killing, say, Maddex? Killing Sambas? Killing Skarr? What are you gaining but "lol da hunturr kant haz nao"? Let me redirect you to the thread where that one poster had 5 or 6 rares killed from under her in a very very short time period. Read that and try to say "Well, it's rare and if they want to that's ansolutely cool!" Noah is obviously reading the stress that comes from losing rares to people who react-- silver dragon = kill.

AdamSavage's quote says it very well.

Acher does indeed the internets, as well. That needs to be mentioned.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sasrei »

Yeah.. was kinda of distracted on the phone while typing that but lets see.. all lvl 85 beasts drop nothing but the tear except jadefang. It would be nice if they did add a tag. Or maybe like the buffs, that say exactly on them like for instance solix, "to fast to tame" why not add "stray: wants to find a home" or maybe something like

Skitterflame <Hunter trap>
Anthriss <Hunters web>

Or heck could make it so when a rare gets low health it emotes something like
"Anthriss shudders scared of dying and never finding a home"
Deth tilac "Deth'tilac is weakened she just wants to find a home with a hunter now"
Solix: "Solix is so tired, he just wants a hunter to cuddle up to"
"Kirix skitters about, he just wanted a home"
"karkin looks up at you with beady eyes, scared to die. He just wanted a home"
"Skarr trembles, his eyes turn into pussnboots eyes. He just wants a lap to cuddle"
"Magria mews, wanting so hard to finally find a home"
"Ankha desperately cries out for a hunter to come and give her a home"
"Ban'thanlos screeches in a mighty voice. His heart drops as all he wanted was a home"

And the tear can be changed "Crystaline tear of the stray" This rare just wanted a home. He just wanted a family. Why did you kill old yellow?!"

haha just joking of course but still.. id think it be neat. Or you can make all rares at low low health one shot people. Call it "Rare slap": you cant touch this! Again joking but that be hilarious. I personally laugh soo hard when I see people die to them.

Oh and no a tame is not NECESSARY its something a person would like. Alot of hunters really like a skin or the challenge and really want the rare. Alot of hunters get close to particulair pets, we use them, yes they may have the same skills as any other spider but its what fits your hunter. How many hunters do you know that use something just for a buff? Most camp because they want that rare, heck I have 4 spirit beasts, none are specced different but each one holds a different part of me that I enjoy. And how many times do you tame something like a cat but it doesnt fit well so you have to release it until you find something that clicks. Its not being ungrateful to blizzard for making these rares for us, but you seriously cant blame someone whos been camping for 14 hours straight just to have tom,dick and harry come and kill it while they are taming it and not be upset. Magria is no different then any other spirit beast stat wise, dps wise, but I enjoy having her out more then say my loque right now. And I really just hate when people think its the same stats why do you camp for something that you already have or can get a regular spider or spirit beast anywhere? Not that your suggesting it at all but thats what was said on the forum with that pally.. Cause they arent the same, not to us, you'll see people accidently release a rare but when they retame it it doesnt feel the same. Many get a GM to restore the old pet. Its really.. something else.

Hunters are all about pets, its not "ooh its shiny snowflake, must tame now" not to me atleast, its hey I really like the skin and I like the diversity of using differnt spiders for pvp, or spirit beasts. We have 25 stables slots for a reason and still its not enough :lol:

I think we have had more trouble with other hunters this patch then people actually straight up killing them. Ive only had a few jerks, a rogue really, who killed Anthriss, but all the other times it was hunters and the mentality of "if I cant have it, you cant" or "you dont deserve that rare" and the popular "my rare wont be unique anymore if you tame it to!". Theres also tame wars that start. If you see someone there taming, be polite and let them tame. If they die then you can try, but dont interrupt during a tame.

Hunters are called pokeman.. gotta catch em all. But you never know what'll work until you tame it. And when do we get to do it? Can't go up to a guy and start saying "tame stud". That just gets you sent to the fun house.

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Never said that the hunter pets weren't special. Just that the main reason all this griefing issue is coming up, is because ALL of the new content for this patch, aside from the raid stuff, is clustered heavily around the rares. This makes the areas HIGHLY populated, meaning that even if say.. 1/1million players are hard core griefers, you're FAR more likely to run into one while trying to get the new challenge tames just by pure luck.

Example.. I really want Skarr. I had a cat that my mom put down last year. I didn't get to say good bye. I was told via my sister sending me an e-mail saying "We put her down. Can you send any photos you have?" ... This was a cat I had raised from a few weeks old, she was VERY sick when she was found in the middle of the street, so much so my mom wouldn't LET my dad take her to the vet/shelter for fear she'd just be put down. I came home from lunch for the rest of the year to bottle feed her and clean the crust off her eyes (they were actually glued shut with discharge)... And then she was put down.. without me being told, or given the chance to say goodbye... She was a black kitty.. I want Skarr, and I want to name her after my poor kitty so in a way, she can live on forever.

I want skarr for her because it just.. It's alittle more mystical than the other black cats. Like she was given a second chance in a form where she can't feel pain anymore... (she died from REALLY badly progressed cancer.. apparently filled with small tumors)...

So yes.. it's very important to me that I get Skarr, and not just some other black cat... And I will.. One day. After the molten front dies down a little, so that I don't also associate memories of getting griefed when ever I pull out my little Suki... That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying "it's just a rare colour, who cares". I'm saying that you can choose. You can choose to "MUST HAS NAO", OR you can choose to have a more pleasent taming challenge experience with less probability of getting griefed :) Unfortuantely, with the wow community, you can't USUALLY have both, especially with pretty much the entire lvl 85 population of a server being thrown into a box and being told to go have fun, heh.

I still think it would be awesome if blizz furthered their mechanics to make them less griefable.. but.. It's blizzard.. I'm not gonna hope for something like that until it actually happens.. Because honestly, something like that would make a LOT of people cry favouritism. Better to learn to work with what you're given, than to keep asking for more... and more... and more... which can end up in nothing.
My Dragon Cave
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

CrystalKitten wrote:I want skarr for her because it just.. It's alittle more mystical than the other black cats. Like she was given a second chance in a form where she can't feel pain anymore... (she died from REALLY badly progressed cancer.. apparently filled with small tumors)...
Touching story :hug: , I happen to play on Llane too Crystal. I'm horde though. If you'd like I'd be more than happy to check once in a while for you when you're online.

I forgot who came up with it but I still like the idea of Rare hunter pets getting a Green Dragon mark around them (instead of silver). A little change like that might go a far way.
Last edited by Royi on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Azunara wrote:Let's say this situation actually did and could happen.

Okay. Okay, okay, okay. Let me get this straight. PLEASE.

So when a hunter is trying to tame it, and someone walks up and kills it, it's a horrible thing.

But when a player is trying to kill it, and a hunter walks up and tame it, it's sweet justice.

I don't get it! A rare may not drop a single thing, not one object, but it is still free to be kileld by all. If I sit there and see Skarr, I could kill it if no one is around. Why not, right? I found it, it is mine to do what I want with it. As long as I'm not stealing it from someone, then it's okay. But that would be griefing, stealing a rare someone is trying to kill to tame, or killing a rare that is being tamed.
You know what Azu? If it was a rare I wanted, and I saw someone trying to kill it... and I thought I could grab aggro and tame it (meaning it would probably have to be a non-4.2 rare for my ever-more-tortured hypothetical to even possibly work)? I'd do it.

Then I'd say /sorry and /trade them 25g for the crystalline tear they lost out on, and be on my merry way.

(Excepting ofc if it was Jadefang - I wouldn't mess with that since there is actually a reason for a non-hunter to kill it)
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sasrei »

:hug: Not saying that you meant it that way at all crystal and I really hope you get Skarr! Try early in the morning, hopefully there will be less people. Right now its scary with skarr/karkin. Ive never seen so many hunters at one spot since a petopian party. The spiders I happened to just run across, Ban'thalos I camped for and missed once. Banny is meaningful to me because I was the one who found him first on the ptr and the cats well I have always loved gondria skin but shes to.. purple for me, so Magria and ankha fit great! And uhh.. I raid alot, showing up to raid naked does not bode well :lol: and skarr was renamed after my first madexx I really liked but sadly had to release, and karkin will be the same.. a crab I really liked.
I was on the ptr for so long it just.. feels a bit wierd to not have them for some strange reason :lol: Same thing with switching hunters back and forth, Ill miss having certain pets with me and I havent a clue as to why.

And I agree with Worba.