What is this fire pet?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: What is this fire pet?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I've now used this pet for two days.. and it's.. not growing on me :(

I really like my Shale Spider better. It feels like a pet, even if it IS a bunch of rocks glued together at the joints.

So I won't feel bad about releasing my little fire beasty when it finally turns into a regular raptor. (I already have a raptor model I love.. it matches my non-combat pet AND my mount)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

Sukurachi wrote:I've now used this pet for two days.. and it's.. not growing on me :(

I really like my Shale Spider better. It feels like a pet, even if it IS a bunch of rocks glued together at the joints.

So I won't feel bad about releasing my little fire beasty when it finally turns into a regular raptor. (I already have a raptor model I love.. it matches my non-combat pet AND my mount)
Yeah, same here. He doesn't really have any animations to really make me want to love him. I just think its cute to imagine it as Calcifer. When I do have him out I always get comments... but in the end its just a glitch and wasn't intended to be a pet. It also doesn't make much roleplay sense for Serenith to have tamed fire. And I love my shale spider too! Who cares if its a bunch of rocks! ;)

And to remember him before he returns to a raptor (A raptor that I will end up releasing):
Attachments
serenith and cal.png
serenith and cal.png (795.72 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Last edited by Serenith on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Serenith wrote: Yeah, same here. He doesn't really have any animations to really make you want to love him. I just think its cute to imagine it as Calcifer. When I do have him out I always get comments... but in the end its just a glitch and wasn't intended to be a pet. It doesn't make much roleplay sense for Serenith to have it either. And I love my shale spider too! Who cares if its a bunch of rocks! ;)
Yup, same here. My own Calcifer is cute in his own way, and definitely fun to play around with for a bit, but even if they stayed permanent I wouldn't keep him, he's just...not a pet in any shape or form.

Though I've never liked Shale Spiders either. The minipet's cute, but I can't associate with them as a pet since they're just...rocks. I dunno. I don't have a problem with them being tameable, they're just a bit too...not-petlike for my tastes. x)
Last edited by Vephriel on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

as i was happy to tame one of these flame puddles, like some have said for me there is just no click. He has been in the stables pretty much since i got him.. he will ned up being released either which way.
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Feath3r
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Feath3r »

My little patch of fire has managed to grip his non-existent claws into my heart. I think it was because I grabbed him on my RP Hunter and he shoved himself right into his story. So I'm going to miss him if they take them from us.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

He's cool but I don't love him.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

Vephriel wrote:
Serenith wrote: Yeah, same here. He doesn't really have any animations to really make you want to love him. I just think its cute to imagine it as Calcifer. When I do have him out I always get comments... but in the end its just a glitch and wasn't intended to be a pet. It doesn't make much roleplay sense for Serenith to have it either. And I love my shale spider too! Who cares if its a bunch of rocks! ;)
Yup, same here. My own Calcifer is cute in his own way, and definitely fun to play around with for a bit, but even if they stayed permanent I wouldn't keep him, he's just...not a pet in any shape or form.

Though I've never liked Shale Spiders either. The minipet's cute, but I can't associate with them as a pet since they're just...rocks. I dunno. I don't have a problem with them being tameable, they're just a bit too...not-petlike for my tastes. x)

Yuni is my draenei's shale spider. I don't know if I could get one for Sere. It works for Neyaari though. They make cute noises, hehe.

And as for Cal. I ran around with him a few times in dungeons, he just doesn't have any personality for me to be proud of him. No animations, no real sounds... just nothing to get truly attached to for me. I as considering taking him to an RP story night and he could be the never ending campfire. But he will probably be fixed or gotten rid of before then. When i think about it, I will probably release him the next time I log on Sere :?

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Jessibelle wrote:He's cool but I don't love him.
Ahhh... I have a hard time not bonding to pets. I dubbed my flame the spawn of my flaming boar (Emboar), who is a celebrity in our tavern. SO it's the soul of a baby piglet as a bouncing flame glob, and totally unmanageable.

I'm trying really hard not to get attached though, because I did.. so hard to my worgen... I never thought Bliz would take away a pet or change it's look, as it had no precedent. Tore me up inside to log on to a plain white wolf and have to deal with the showdown on the forums during.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Dialga wrote:
Ahhh... I have a hard time not bonding to pets. I dubbed my flame the spawn of my flaming boar (Emboar), who is a celebrity in our tavern. SO it's the soul of a baby piglet as a bouncing flame glob, and totally unmanageable.

I'm trying really hard not to get attached though, because I did.. so hard to my worgen... I never thought Bliz would take away a pet or change it's look, as it had no precedent. Tore me up inside to log on to a plain white wolf and have to deal with the showdown on the forums during.
But he's just a ball of flame. He's not a real pet. The worgens of vanilla were more animal than just some pile of flames on the ground.

LisaaraPokefarm

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Jessibelle wrote:But he's just a ball of flame. He's not a real pet. The worgens of vanilla were more animal than just some pile of flames on the ground.
Ok, I'm no mod, but can you please quit with the negativity already? ^^' We all know it won't last, we all know it's just a patch of fire, and we all know you personally do not like this bug, but some of us really enjoy it nevertheless.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Golden wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:But he's just a ball of flame. He's not a real pet. The worgens of vanilla were more animal than just some pile of flames on the ground.
Ok, I'm no mod, but can you please quit with the negativity already? ^^' We all know it won't last, we all know it's just a patch of fire, and we all know you personally do not like this bug, but some of us really enjoy it nevertheless.
I think you misread that post entirely, Golden. Had nothing to do with my personal opinion on the thing and I'd also like to point out I NEVER said I didn't like it. Not once. I just didn't like we're practically advertising people to go tame it despite it's an obvious exploit that gives us an advantage in pvp(least those that are clickers). That makes us look bad to the devs, IMHO. It's like encouraging a little kid to say the f-word even though it's bad.

Now aside from that, the flames are cool. I have one of my very own. I'll even post screenshots to prove it. If I disliked the pet, I wouldn't have bothered to tame it. The comment you seem to have misread was in reply to someone else, saying they're bonding with it like the worgen. I'm merely stating the fact the worgen had more animations and visual effects than a pile of flames did. Now I do recommend you read my previous comment too. I was stating I don't love my flame. I'm not bonding with it like I do my other pets for the very same reasons others BEFORE me have stated. I just didn't elaborate cause all the reasons were already stated previously so...if you're gonna tell me to stop being negative, you should tell everyone else the same thing that said they don't love their flames too. Gotta be fair. :)
Attachments
BW FTW
BW FTW
WoWScrnShot_082111_012300.jpg (255.48 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Flame pet in Winterspring
Flame pet in Winterspring
WoWScrnShot_082111_012257.jpg (253.27 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Here's me when I tamed the flame
Here's me when I tamed the flame
WoWScrnShot_082011_182612.jpg (237.89 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

LisaaraPokefarm

Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

while i fully understand why this "pet" will not stay, i quite enjoy my little Amber.
Yes it doesnt have anny animations or sounds to help you bond with it, but for me it doesnt really matter.
all same model beasts have the same animations and sounds anyway, and i mainly play with music or some anime or movie running so i dont really notice much to sound in the game so i mostly bond with the look and not the sound.

But of course its all up to personal taste. And i will enjoy my Amber while i have it.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Of course. :) While I prefer my other pets, I still bring out Ragefire from time to time. Speaking of, I should bring him into a dungeon for lulz. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Nah, I was just getting an overall negative vibe from you for the whole duration of the topic - could be I was just reading too much into it though, it's been a bad day. Sorry to have taken it on you.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Golden wrote:Nah, I was just getting an overall negative vibe from you for the whole duration of the topic - could be I was just reading too much into it though, it's been a bad day. Sorry to have taken it on you.
Aw it's okay, Golden. :hug: I'm not mad atcha. My post probably wasn't as clear as it should've been. I hope your day gets better.

LisaaraPokefarm

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I might have to pick up one of the raptors/tallstriders on my hunter. Not fire or ragey, just plain ol' raptor. I think they're feeling a little underappreciated at the moment. :P

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Anj
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Anj »

You nailed it :)
Remember, this is no sprint. The true test of a hunter tests his endurance over the course of a long expedition.
Huntard
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Unread post by Huntard »

I love him. ;[
Congafury
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Congafury »

Golden wrote:Nah, I was just getting an overall negative vibe from you for the whole duration of the topic - could be I was just reading too much into it though, it's been a bad day. Sorry to have taken it on you.

I have to agree with Golden here, since I got the same impression. Too many negative posts about that pet on the last pages. I personally love my Calcifer. But what I read here sounds more like attempts to soothe ourselves over the fact that this pet will be fixed.
Don't panic!
Paciphae
Realm: Khadgar

Unread post by Paciphae »

As far as getting attached to it, I will say this: After I tamed mine, I had to cross water to turn in the quest that provides the seeds, and I looked hard for a way to not have to walk through the water for fear of putting it out - although I know that's not really possible. It is cute in it's own way, sort of like a pet rock. I expect it to turn into a raptor, but I'll miss it when it does.