Calculus is going to kill me

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Calculus is going to kill me

Unread post by Zangor »

okay so its my senior year in high school and i have AP calculus in my first period class.
for the life of me i barely remember any of the math i had learned in the last few years....i forgot how to factor and whenever i look at the problems im assigned for homework i find that they dont seem to match up with the notes the teacher gives in class. it doesnt help that when i try to learn off of a textbook or internet page that the examples arent broken down into every little detail. it would help so much if they showed their math and where they had to apply factoring or other simple processes. i dont want to fail the class but i feel so lost in the topic....and its still the review period from algebra-pre calculus stuff.

anyone else having or have had a problem like mine? i need help and i dont have much time during school or after(i have a bus to catch) to seek help from a tutor or get everything i may have missed from the days lesson from my teacher. if anyone can help me out please do.
Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Calculus is going to kill me

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Algebra for Dummies and Calculus for Dummies are fantastic books btw. I'm in Calculus too.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

I have some math things aswell.. I just don't understand it, and I need straight A's this year to get where I want. I mean, how am I supposed to understand what number 101 really is? or 1100 or 10110 or blargh. I don't need any of this, apart from percentages, which I can do on my phone either way. I wish I could take some other course.. if I could trade math thingies for english, I'd be happy, because then I'd have one less grade to worry about.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Samskeyti
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel EU

Unread post by Samskeyti »

Sadly I can't help with Calculus much, as I am definitely not a math person, but I can help with languages (I'm fluent in both french and german) if anyone needs some advice with those.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I can help with calculus, statistics, geometry, etc. Just give me a pm.
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

Miyon, what do you want to do with your life though? Cause I always thought something similar "Why do I need advanced math, I just want to _____" ... but.. It's used EVERYWHERE. Stats is pretty much the basis of ANYTHING science related, and then stats uses calculus... As well as other stuff. And then as for animation/computers... that's mostly all geometry, or other maths as well. Event construction workers, etc... That's not to say I like math.. I hate math :( But it's not until leaving highschool, really, that you ACTUALLY see how integral it is to EVERYTHING.

Oh, and then there's stuff like chem, and bio.. where there's both math math.. and compound/symbol math, and... Yeah.. it's really hard to get AWAY from math, heh.

I lucked out with my university Calc class. It was taught by a phd student, and she was AWESOME. She actually used a Shrek reference to teach us about... (figures.. goes to show how much I hate math...) taking.. umm.. It's when you like.. reverse functions or whatever to solve them... like if you had (3x^2)^4x. They don't allow calculators for the "entry" maths at my university.. but keep all the numbers simple and easy to work with.
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

CrystalKitten wrote:Miyon, what do you want to do with your life though? Cause I always thought something similar "Why do I need advanced math, I just want to _____" ... but.. It's used EVERYWHERE. Stats is pretty much the basis of ANYTHING science related, and then stats uses calculus... As well as other stuff. And then as for animation/computers... that's mostly all geometry, or other maths as well. Event construction workers, etc... That's not to say I like math.. I hate math :( But it's not until leaving highschool, really, that you ACTUALLY see how integral it is to EVERYTHING.

Oh, and then there's stuff like chem, and bio.. where there's both math math.. and compound/symbol math, and... Yeah.. it's really hard to get AWAY from math, heh.

I lucked out with my university Calc class. It was taught by a phd student, and she was AWESOME. She actually used a Shrek reference to teach us about... (figures.. goes to show how much I hate math...) taking.. umm.. It's when you like.. reverse functions or whatever to solve them... like if you had (3x^2)^4x. They don't allow calculators for the "entry" maths at my university.. but keep all the numbers simple and easy to work with.
It looks exactly like that, and I just can't understand it. I sat over an hour with only one of those today for homework, and in the end I couldn't do it. As for the first question, math isn't actually relevant to the path I want to take, which is law studies. And this is apparently basic kindergarden math. Which makes me even more upset. I want math I can understand, and that I could actually see a use for. Even the teacher cannot explain what I need this for, other than what they call "generell studiekompetanse", which is basically what you need to get into university and the likes. I have math, history, norwegian, biology, gymnastics and some.. I don't remember the name, it's about nature and all that anyway. All those subjects apart from math/calculus I can be able to get at least B's in, even though I need at least 3 A's.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

Nahale, it TOTALLY wasn't :P Though, I did see it after typing it.

And Miyon, if someone else can't help out, I'll see if I can dig out my class notes. I really was VERY happy with that teacher (don't wanna say prof, as she didn't have her phd yet). I REALLY don't consider myself a math person, but I did REALLY well in that class. She gave us LOTS of little memory clues, and laid things out in a REALLY easy to remember way. I'll see what I can do later.. probably after my baking/dinner.

Also.. depending what field of law you go into, you could still need math. Or at the very least, being able to understand the reasoning behind statistics and all that I could see being very useful in certain situations.
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
bigbadwolfx
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Stormscale US

Unread post by bigbadwolfx »