Void Storage

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Void Storage

Unread post by Mania »

Disclaimer: This is day one of what looks to be a long PTR cycle! So don't take my comments too seriously.

Disclaimer #2: The PTR notes specifically say that "The costs associated with this service are not yet final."

So I'm a little disappointed with Void Storage so far. It's a tad expensive - not so much the 1000 gold to unlock the feature (although that does strike me as a little unnecessary) as the 100 gold for each item put in or taken out. However, as the PTR patch notes say at this point, the costs are not yet final.

What disappoints me, though, is three restrictions:

1) Only items that can be soulbound can be void stored. So those basic shirts I made because one day I might want to wear them? Gotta stay in the bank.

2) Stackable items can't be void stored. This makes sense from a technical angle - in order to keep void storage from killing their servers they are storing only the item ID and absolutely nothing else. But it means that I can't void store those annoying Red and Blue Fuels from the Mountain Dew thing. Or worse, the 50 Sandbox Tigers I refuse to use up.

3) Unique items can't be void stored. Again, this makes technical sense. But it also means that fully half of my damned tabards won't go in the void. Worse, I'm going to have to keep track of which tabards are where somehow.

Now I suspect that a lot of tabards - and possibly other items - are going to have the Unique tag removed. The reputation tabards probably don't need them, for example - I suspect that they are mostly unique just to save you from accidentally buying two of them. But I'd rather accidentally buy two than not be able to void store them.

Other than that, I am quite enjoying more bank space!
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Void Storage

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I truely don't care how much it costs if it means I can free up bank space! Not like golds hard to get nowadays!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm hesitant on Void Storage myself, as I'm almost constantly using the gear and outfits I have. I'd go broke if I was always depositing and withdrawing items, so I might just use it for the few keepsake items I have and keep my bank and bags overflowing with clothes. >_>;
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I am very happy to get a bunch of holiday stuff that I just can't part with (yes, I am a hoarder) out of the bank. I'm just disappointed about the tabards. And my stockpile of 3 Thrallmar Marks. :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

half my bags I have are full of random Teir gear I have from guild raids I'm just happy I can put them somewhere soonish lol

I think talbards should get there own slot like mounts/mini pets do.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm kinda miffed at the prices...100g? Really? We should only pay like 2000g to unlock it then not pay anything at all.

i hope they fix it soon.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Well, *not* including actual armor I was able to clear 44 items out of my bank and into Void Storage. (I'm holding the old armor until after I try our transmog.)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Mania wrote:Well, *not* including actual armor I was able to clear 44 items out of my bank and into Void Storage. (I'm holding the old armor until after I try our transmog.)
Guess its a start.

LisaaraPokefarm

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I think a 50g deposit fee would be more reasonable.

And charging for withdrawal will only cause problems. If that causes a steeper deposit fee, so be it.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

GormanGhaste wrote:I think a 50g deposit fee would be more reasonable.

And charging for withdrawal will only cause problems. If that causes a steeper deposit fee, so be it.
Yeah I could live with that.

LisaaraPokefarm

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Blue posters have already said that the prices on transmogging and void storage are not yet set: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2005 ... id-storage

So don't panic yet. I doubt 1000k tplus 100g per will stand once it goes live.

And I noticed the restriction on Unique items. It's absolutely killing me. Not just tabards, but many holiday items are also Unique. I was hoping this would be a way to store all those, but at this point it won't work for me and I'll still have to throw things away. :(
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

That's interesting about the unique tag on items, I think I have a few tabards with that too as well as a few odds and ends, I'll have to have a look.

But I simply can't wait for this one either. I know that it's going to cost me every time I put things in and out, but I think I'll just try and control myself as much as possible. I am pretty much down to about 5-6 slots free on my main that are free-ish, everything else is soulbound, and I still want more slots for a few other bits for transmoggin :?
Yes I know I'm a horder, but it really is only of the bestest things, promise! :D

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I agree that those restrictions are a bit disappointing. With each rule you mentioned I would think of more things that'd have to stay in the bank. Still, it's early days. Hopefully they can add special case checks for things like tabards and shirts and whatever else.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Don't forget, Mania, that you can't store 'silly items' and white items. So even if that holiday outfit is soulbound? It might not count. :( This bummed me out; I was planning to pimp out my banker with Void Storage.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Kurasu wrote:Don't forget, Mania, that you can't store 'silly items' and white items. So even if that holiday outfit is soulbound? It might not count. :( This bummed me out; I was planning to pimp out my banker with Void Storage.
Actually, I believe the silly and white restrictions are just for transmogrification, not void storage. Soulbound is required for both.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

GormanGhaste wrote:
Kurasu wrote:Don't forget, Mania, that you can't store 'silly items' and white items. So even if that holiday outfit is soulbound? It might not count. :( This bummed me out; I was planning to pimp out my banker with Void Storage.
Actually, I believe the silly and white restrictions are just for transmogrification, not void storage. Soulbound is required for both.
Aha! I thought you could only Void Storage what you can Transmog with. That's good, then. :D
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Aeliel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Aeliel »

Kurasu wrote:Don't forget, Mania, that you can't store 'silly items' and white items.
Since when? I know you can't use them as a transmogrification source, but not that you can't stick them into void storage.

I'd go check myself but the character copy for EU is yea verily buggered -- so I couldn't copy over my main (who has the over-full bank and I was looking forward to seeing what I could stick into storage), but had to make a premade.
-=[ Dreams of Iso'rath ]=-
-=[ Image ]=-
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

I agree with all that you mention. I blew a total of 5900g just putting away my druids old armor. Nothing else. Being a horder myself, it is nice to have, but I admit I like having my toys out at times.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Lylirra wrote:I just recently got back from a meeting with Ghostcrawler and have an update to share regarding the prices for Void Storage. Instead of charging 1000g to unlock a Void Storage vault and 100g to deposit and withdraw items, we're looking at only requiring the following amounts for each transaction:

Unlock - 100g
Deposit - 25g
Withdrawal - Free

We agree with the suggestions we've seen that placing a higher fee on withdrawals would create a stronger deterrent for using Void Storage as a secondary bank. That said, we don't want players to find themselves in a situation where they are unable to retrieve an item simply because they don't have the gold. This is why we're leaning towards a more expensive deposit (to differentiate Void Storage from a normal bank) and allowing all withdrawals to be free. Please keep in mind that these prices may not hit the PTR and are, of course, subject to change before the release of 4.3.
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2015 ... us-charges
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

AdamSavage wrote:
Lylirra wrote:I just recently got back from a meeting with Ghostcrawler and have an update to share regarding the prices for Void Storage. Instead of charging 1000g to unlock a Void Storage vault and 100g to deposit and withdraw items, we're looking at only requiring the following amounts for each transaction:

Unlock - 100g
Deposit - 25g
Withdrawal - Free

We agree with the suggestions we've seen that placing a higher fee on withdrawals would create a stronger deterrent for using Void Storage as a secondary bank. That said, we don't want players to find themselves in a situation where they are unable to retrieve an item simply because they don't have the gold. This is why we're leaning towards a more expensive deposit (to differentiate Void Storage from a normal bank) and allowing all withdrawals to be free. Please keep in mind that these prices may not hit the PTR and are, of course, subject to change before the release of 4.3.
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2015 ... us-charges
I support this. Nice job, Blizz. :)

LisaaraPokefarm