It's So Hideous-- Wait

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wark
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring-US

It's So Hideous-- Wait

Unread post by Wark »

I have always had a problem with carrion birds. Not that I dislike them-- far from it! Vultures are one of my favorite real-life birds, and I've always wanted to extend that favoritism to their in-game counterpart. But even though I've been staring at them since my first baby druid crawled out of the Mulgore starting area, they've never clicked with me. At best if I stare at one long enough I'll manage an "oh, I suppose that looks ok." Actually using one as a pet in-game for any appreciable length of time has eluded me.

Back in 4.0.6 I greeted the arrival of a unique skin for Zaricotl with a general lack of enthusiasm. I always thought Zaricotl was an awesome mob back in vanilla (my enjoyment was probably improved somewhat by being good at NOT getting my lowbies eaten by him) and new skins are an unceasing source of joy, but... it's only a carrion bird. And I was pretty fond of the old red color, and all the screenshots of the new skin looked hideous to me. I was happy for people who wanted it and got it, but I had no interest for myself.

And then the other day I was keeping my friend company on voicechat as he marched off to the Badlands to hunt for Steamwheedle Cartel rep. As I clicked around the internet he punched some rams, stole some ogre rods, and then said "hey, you should come tame Zaricotl!"
  • Cons: "do I even want one?"
  • Pros: "oh please, that thing must have a five hour respawn timer, not like I'm depriving anyone if I later decide I don't want it."
So I logged in, was helpfully teleported on top of an angry vulture, and tamed it to the running commentary of my friend.

I planned on shoving it into my stable as fast as I could and logging out, but I stood there thanking my friend for the freebie tame and watching it flap out of the corner of my eye. So I signed up to do a Coren Direbrew (because it's one squishy boss, nobody there is going to care what pet I bring) and when I finished that I stood around in the Badlands staring at this bird. I swear I tamed the same wrinkly-faced, scrawny-necked, mangy-looking bird all those other happy hunters did, but the flapping white fluffball with the serial killer eyes beside me didn't feel remotely similar.

It's been a few days now, and the only time I've bothered putting my floofball away was for a few time-sensitive trollroics runs. The rest of it? This guy. All the way. Especially for Argent Tournament dailies-- something about a vulture strikes me as appropriate for dealing with the land of zombies and snow drifts.

Now I just need to come up with a name. :mrgreen:
Attachments
oh-hi.jpg
oh-hi.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
spectatin.jpg
spectatin.jpg (133.38 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
fluffballpoof-doctored.gif
fluffballpoof-doctored.gif (78.97 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: It's So Hideous-- Wait

Unread post by Lupis »

Hehe, Zaricotl has such a fantastic skin. I can't explain why, really, as I hate bright yellow. Maybe it's the fact that his white feathers make him look incredibly soft…

Always awesome to find a new favorite in a completely unexpected place. ^.^

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

name him: Deatheye

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Wow he looks fantastic with your hunter and I love the story for him. :D

As for a name: Bugger
Why? Because you spent so long avoiding this pet until your friend buggered you to come tame him, and then Zari proceeded to bugger his way into your heart and everyday hunter life. :P

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Dexter?
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I actually think he looks really good with you! I love carrion birds myself, so naturally I approve of this tame. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Jelani
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Jelani »

LOL I named mine Bates...bird seriously looks insane..and I love him XD

He looks awesome with your hunter!

YAY! Flight Rising! Rawr!

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Heck, I think he goes well with your hunter's black fur.

He does kind of look a bit angry/crazy. Kind of makes me think of finding yourself at some party or event, sitting next to a guy who rants and mumbles angrily. You're not sure whether he's talking to you or to himself, but you're kinda scared to just get up and leave because you don't know what he'll do.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

He looks like a Walter to me, I keep thinking of Jeff Dunhams crazy old man puppet.. Who this bird reminds me of... So so much :lol:

Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

He rocks I got one & named em Beaky from looney-toons, it so fits, grats.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []