Ghostcrawler Told Me Why We Can't Have Hydras!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Ghostcrawler Told Me Why We Can't Have Hydras!

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

How can they hate hydras... but stick us with monkeys. Seriously? That model is -hideous-. It's made up of stickboxes and the face is a nightmare. They're -worse- than silkworms. I think the monkey model is an embarrassment to the game, ESPECIALLY given how terrible it looks and the fact it only came out last expac.

Guh.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

Yeah, this doens't really make sense to me. In terms of looks, hydras don't look worse than basilisks and caterpillars. In terms of animation, they aren't worse than e.g. hyenas or the still relatively new monkeys, not to mention that fen striders don't have a swimming animation at all (they walk under water which looks rediculous). In terms of sound, boss silithids still screech and thud all over the place. So really, I can see that the hydra model isn't perfect, but I honestly don't understand in what way it's worse than the pets we already have, including new ones. Just doesn't compute.

Lok'tar ogar!

Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

Nachtwulf wrote:How can they hate hydras... but stick us with monkeys. Seriously? That model is -hideous-. It's made up of stickboxes and the face is a nightmare. They're -worse- than silkworms. I think the monkey model is an embarrassment to the game, ESPECIALLY given how terrible it looks and the fact it only came out last expac.

Guh.
I totally agree. I refuse to tame that abomination of a primate. Hell, vanilla gorillas look better. :lol:
Wut?
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Wain wrote:To be fair, I can see what they're getting at. They waddle like old ducks that need a hip replaced. Sped up when they're chasing a mount, it looks downright comical.
I can't agree more! I have the ghost hydra and while most animations are okay, the waddle does look ridiculous, and the constant head bickering animation with gargleling sound plays WAY too often. They really need to remake the animations of the model. I do suspect that they also want to keep them for a future expansion, probably the one where we will go fight Azshara, as that would seem a good place to use lots of hydras.

As for the monkey, to me it seems like they just threw the model on the gorilla skeleton and called it a day, and that just made it a mess.
ImageImage
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

All they have to do is work on the model which is what I am hoping they are doing. I mean if you look at the old boxy tigers compared to the new tigers it looks almost comical. And the basilisks.. I wish they tweaked those large whiskers that fan out, its the same whiskers the poor old world lions have. Monkeys are pretty yah.. wierd looking. hyenas have been broken for awhile now. When you look at all the old world stuff compared to the new world stuff yah huge difference. it almost doesnt even look like the same game lol.

if anything all they could do is just shut up a few animations. I think the waddling is pretty hilarious. And maybe only one head attacks but maybe its the angry head and the other two are lazy/passive.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Considering that box cats and coyotes with claws so big they look like hooves are tameable, considering bats with saber fangs and holes in their wings that look so little like bats that when I first started playing I couldn't identify them as bats, if they will let us tame bloated bags of pixels that look like they should be a very small minipet at most......yeah, that's a really weak answer. IMO hydras are much better done than alot of the tameable beasts we already have.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

There are models that I hate and refuse to ever have.

Old World Cats-waaaaaaay too boxy for me, to me they are like the old Sega gensis version while the new cats are from a x360 game. Acceptable for when and where they were in the hisotry of the game, but so out dated compared to where we are now.

Monkeys-gah, just don't even get me started. I detest the monkeys in the game and never use them. They run sideways! Their butts swings up almost to their shoulder and then they move their front legs. I cannot understand how people bond with those things.

Silkworms-sorry-I cannot for the life of me understand why the decided to keep them tameable. They look like something out of a cartoon compared to the pandarens and the local fauna. I tamed one in beta and while it is hilarious-it really does not seem to fit.

I would hope that they fix some of the old world models before they start adding more pets to the game. We already have 39 pet families, let them fix what they have before they go adding even more, I'd say. I do want a hydra, but I can understand the reasoning of them being outdated and awkwardly animated from the ones I've seen. There is so much going on in this expansion, I can see and appreciate why hydras are not a major focus right now.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

I made a little something to cheer you guys up. Enjoy! :lol:

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

XD LOL!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I don't know why, but that guy cracks me the hell up.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

/startrant
This sounds like the biggest bullshit excuse I've ever heard. I've seen the tamed ghost hydras. Seen them run etc. Yes they could use added animations but the once they currently have aren't "broken" or wrong.
Blizzard has had since LK came out to update the old boxy models yet they haven't. They're even sticking models that are, what, four plus years old into MoP!!! Ridiculous.
I do think it's a dislike /hate.
I call it pure and simple laziness. They had no qualms about creating brand new tiger models and such but couldn't spend their muli-millions and amazing resources to truly update or replace vanilla models with current ones. I've always said I rather have updated models then new tamables.
The hydras have ALWAYS looked amazing for their age!

Blizzard at this point is just being f-----g lazy at this point. Lets leave old content back in the stone age, not fix it and create amazing new patches.

Lame ass excuse GC. Lame ass excuse.
/endrant
:twisted: Giordana

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

zedxrgal wrote:/startrant
This sounds like the biggest bullshit excuse I've ever heard. I've seen the tamed ghost hydras. Seen them run etc. Yes they could use added animations but the once they currently have aren't "broken" or wrong.
Blizzard has had since LK came out to update the old boxy models yet they haven't. They're even sticking models that are, what, four plus years old into MoP!!! Ridiculous.
I do think it's a dislike /hate.
I call it pure and simple laziness. They had no qualms about creating brand new tiger models and such but couldn't spend their muli-millions and amazing resources to truly update or replace vanilla models with current ones. I've always said I rather have updated models then new tamables.
The hydras have ALWAYS looked amazing for their age!

Blizzard at this point is just being f-----g lazy at this point. Lets leave old content back in the stone age, not fix it and create amazing new patches.

Lame ass excuse GC. Lame ass excuse.
/endrant
:twisted: Giordana
You must be careful about wishing certain pets get replaced with new models. I was furious when Rak'Shiri was changed, and I know many love their pets now, and not the new models (I'm looking at sir crap-model King Floof). It's one thing to have old boxy models updated to have higher resolutions and poly-counts, but it's entirely different to ask for the replacement of the entire model with the newest version. I think that the new Pandarian tigers are great, but wouldn't want my Shango to end up as one of them.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I dunno. I think people assumed we got hydras when they made a family and got their hopes up too high. Nothing Blizz ever does or say is a promise to any class. They are fickle. They can and will change their minds as they please. Sure, it does seem a bit of a silly reason, but maybe that's the simplest way to put it. There could be any number of reasons that they may not have liked hydras, and I bet no matter what reason they put, someone would find a way to sit and gripe about it. Either way, perhaps they'll fix whatever they don't like about hydras and let them in. Maybe they'll change their mind in some new patch.

Also agreeing with Gimlion said. Some of us are fond of our old boxy pets, thanks.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Azunara wrote:I dunno. I think people assumed we got hydras when they made a family and got their hopes up too high. Nothing Blizz ever does or say is a promise to any class. They are fickle. They can and will change their minds as they please. Sure, it does seem a bit of a silly reason, but maybe that's the simplest way to put it. There could be any number of reasons that they may not have liked hydras, and I bet no matter what reason they put, someone would find a way to sit and gripe about it. Either way, perhaps they'll fix whatever they don't like about hydras and let them in. Maybe they'll change their mind in some new patch.

Also agreeing with Gimlion said. Some of us are fond of our old boxy pets, thanks.
This. They started spreading around Clefthoof skins once, and it was whispered that they might become tamable. But they didn't. No harm done. We didn't get a pet but we weren't robbed of anything.

It just feels like people are starting to feel like they were already given Hydras, and now *not* getting them is like they're being taken away. No… We never got Hydras. We got a glitch. That's it.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

I have the ghost hydra, and even I'm pissed at this.

Just because I've had the hydra ever since the start of Wotlk, I don't want to be some sort of special snowflake. It annoys me enough that I get spammed from non-hunters every time it's out, to the point I made a macro for it.

The model is perfectly fine. Sure, the moving animations need fixing. But other than that, it's an amazing pet. Timeaus is his name, and I've used him from time to time. Tanking old raid when he was a croc, and then raiding as a pure hydra.

Bottom line is, Blizzard needs to get their shit together. On the forums, the members in charge of forum and community management have gotten off their asses and have given people the "Oh, we listen and we discuss what we hear what our community tells us." bullshit. Only because they've lost about, oh, I don't know 2-3 million players?

How further must the playerbase numbers fall before Blizzard wakes up? SC2 and Diablo can't survive on their own. Yet after being so popular and so well-known for so long they've just gotten cocky like some teenage girl that discovered the wonderful toys she has developed.

People then wonder why companies like Riot have become so successful. It isn't the game per say, it's listening to the players. Even if the LoL community is known to be the worst, they have evolved into being one of the most famous MOBA games in the world.

Wake up Blizzard. Your gold-tub is fading away.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

PorrasouxRex wrote:I have the ghost hydra, and even I'm pissed at this.

Just because I've had the hydra ever since the start of Wotlk, I don't want to be some sort of special snowflake. It annoys me enough that I get spammed from non-hunters every time it's out, to the point I made a macro for it.

The model is perfectly fine. Sure, the moving animations need fixing. But other than that, it's an amazing pet. Timeaus is his name, and I've used him from time to time. Tanking old raid when he was a croc, and then raiding as a pure hydra.

Bottom line is, Blizzard needs to get their shit together. On the forums, the members in charge of forum and community management have gotten off their asses and have given people the "Oh, we listen and we discuss what we hear what our community tells us." bullshit. Only because they've lost about, oh, I don't know 2-3 million players?

How further must the playerbase numbers fall before Blizzard wakes up? SC2 and Diablo can't survive on their own. Yet after being so popular and so well-known for so long they've just gotten cocky like some teenage girl that discovered the wonderful toys she has developed.

People then wonder why companies like Riot have become so successful. It isn't the game per say, it's listening to the players. Even if the LoL community is known to be the worst, they have evolved into being one of the most famous MOBA games in the world.

Blizzard has been listening to the players. A LOT. Have you seen the new rares? Those are *exactly* what so many people on this very forum wanted. More self-healing- players wanted that too. Blizzard isn't ignoring the player base, it's listening to it more than ever. Honestly, I wonder if it's listening *too much*, but that's for another time.

One pet family isn't "not listening to the players". It's "Being able to make a decision on something that was never decided on anyway". We are in no way, shape or form, obligated to get these pets.

Sorry if I'm coming off very rude, it's late.'

Editing to add- I don't think GC's excuse was a very good one. But I don't think they really… need to be forced to have an excuse. They can make some decisions on their own. >.<

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

PorrasouxRex wrote:I have the ghost hydra, and even I'm pissed at this.
----->Insert rest of post here<-----

I have the ghost hydra too, but if you want /RANT this is not the thread for it....

that thread is this way. ----> http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13423

By all means, share your option, positive or negative, but I don't want to have to read all that personal ranting in this thread. In response to your opinion, here is mine.

It's their game, if they say the model is not fine, that's their prerogative (and you said the moving animation needs fixing, so it's not fine in your opinion also?) The running animation is kinda borked, and looks like and awkward, hyper accelerated duck waddle imo. They are excessively noisy still, to the point that my fellow raiders have mentioned it annoys them. Yes, I know, each to their own, but it's still effecting other players none the less. As much as Hydras would make perfect, wonderful pets for numerous reasons, it does not mean we have some deserved right to them.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post, it's just Bad Manner's and like I mentioned for you prior, you should now know where the rant thread is now. Thankyou.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

+1 to SB for using Bad Manner in a post.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

While lots of people have a strong opinion on this topic, and it is very frustrating when you feel like you're being teased with something you really want but can't have, a couple of posts here are getting borderline with decency.

Remember that Blizzard aren't just a faceless company, They are real people and they take pride in, and want people to like the game. But more importantly there are Blizzard representatives that read this board. Even if they are anonymous, you are expected to treat them with the same courtesy that you treat everyone else. Personal insults like "f...ing lazy" are not on. And using one issue as a springboard to tear into everything you hate about the game isn't against the rules, but it really does (as Spiritbinder said) probably belong in the rant thread. If nothing else it doesn't come across as coherent.

Don't get me wrong, being critical of the game is encouraged. It shouldn't all be love and roses. But there are ways to do it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Yeah, like... the CRZ is driving me froot loops (Hi, bug where I can't talk to quest givers. AWESOME) but I try to contain my rantage.

Honestly, Hydras are cool but do we really need a third +crit buff pet? I can understand the frustration, though.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!