Page 1 of 2
Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 pm
by Syleye
In the spirit of (atleast here's) holiday time I was just curious what everyone's favorite holiday food, or drink is?
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm
by Niabi
I'm a sucker for Peppermint Bark Candies and Pumpkin Pie.
Speaking of which, I just bought myself some Ghiradelli Hot Chocolate Mix in both Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate flavors! I just warm some milk on the stove, add whichever mix I choose, allow to cool and serve in a mug, top it off with some marshmallows I lightly toast with a butane torch, and serve with a few pieces of peppermint bark or cookies (if available) on the side ... pure heaven!
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 pm
by cowmuflage
I would say my Grandmas Pavlova as she would always make it for Xmas but sadly ever since she started to show the signs of Alzheimer's she stopped making it. I have made it in the past and so has my mum but it's just not the same.
Anyway enough of the downer talk. Um Brandy snaps I've always loved them.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm
by GormanGhaste
soy nog

Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 pm
by Bulletdance
cranberry sauce. Mmmm.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:00 pm
by SpiritBinder
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm
by Moonlost
Christmas pudding, naturally with hot custard to go alongside. Even better when it's Grandma making it, as she still throws in a few old threepence and sixpence into the mixture. The annual Christmas-pudding-coin-coin hunt is one of the highlights of the day, and it's something that's been done in my household for two generations now. So, I guess my fondness for the good old pudding isn't so much how it tastes (although Grandma does make a pretty mean Christmas Pudding XD ), but more the nostalgia tied up into it all.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 pm
by Rubywashere
Meat Pie.
Iv'e always enjoyed meat pie over all the other foods
I think its because my mémé makes the best meat pie
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:19 pm
by Bonita
Pumpkin Pie. Love it! We always have it only this time of year.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:26 pm
by Azunara
I really, really love Starbucks' Peppermint Mocha they always do around this time of year. I spend every year looking forward to this nonsense and it always makes me so happy when it comes back around. It's the best when the baristas remember the chocolate shavings. (Sometimes they forget it and it makes me a bit sad).
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 pm
by Sesamee
I make a rice dressing with sausage, apples, onions, celery, mushrooms, sage, and thyme. So good!! I know bread crumb dressing is more traditional but being from HI we use rice in everything, lol. Traditional or not this is always a hit every year with everyone.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 pm
by Syleye
The respones here have been great, I love to see not only the foods but the memories tied to them. Don't think I will try soy nog, for soem bizarre reason I am allergic to soy. But Sesamee the rice dressing sounds great. Also Azunara I love the peppermint mocha too. Only time during the year i will go to starbucks lol. I guess I should add mine, my step-dads key lime pie, so good.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:57 pm
by Makoes
Rum and Eggnogg, and Gravey with stuffing and yorkshire pudding, seriously, I can live of of that!!
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 pm
by cowmuflage
Makoes wrote:Rum and Eggnogg, and Gravey with stuffing and yorkshire pudding, seriously, I can live of of that!!
Yorkshire puddings are awesome. Can't have a good old classic beef roast with out them!
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:05 am
by Wain
Moonlost wrote:Christmas pudding, naturally with hot custard to go alongside. Even better when it's Grandma making it, as she still throws in a few old threepence and sixpence into the mixture. The annual Christmas-pudding-coin-coin hunt is one of the highlights of the day, and it's something that's been done in my household for two generations now. So, I guess my fondness for the good old pudding isn't so much how it tastes (although Grandma does make a pretty mean Christmas Pudding XD ), but more the nostalgia tied up into it all.
How awesome

This is my response too. My grandmother has been making the Christmas pudding, complete with threepences and sixpences, my entire life and it's the one thing I really associate with Christmas dinner. The pudding is boiled several times for days. She's 93 now, but is still making it this year

Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:38 am
by Rhyela
I love green bean casserole. I've had it the "traditional" way, and it's not as good as my grandmother's. She altered the recipe slightly somehow so that it's much creamier. And then, instead of tossing those crispy onion crumbles on top, she puts giant freakin' onion rings. It's the bomb.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 am
by Danielfboone
Absolutely the meat of the turkey legs and wings. After that it's the gravy and stuffing. My mom makes the best stuffing with sausage meat in it. I don't like cornbread and can not stand oysters in any shape or form. I also can not stand cloves and won't eat anything with even a hint of the flavor. For beverages, Apple Cider and real thick egg nog, none of that soy crap for me.
We never had any special candies or desserts but there are three kinds of pie that I don't like and one is pumpkin. The other two are mince and lemon meringue. Cherry, blueberry (or a mix of the two), and Apple are my favorites. As a kid I would never eat cranberry sauce but now I like it. I have to admit that I've never even heard of Christmas pudding but I hate fruitcake. Does anybody really like it?
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 am
by Neilaren
Two things:
1) My pumpkin bread with cinnamon sugar glaze that I make for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas.
2) For a general colder-weather treat, some of my english tea times are replaced with a combination of Tang powder mix and Lemon Ice Sugar Tea powder mix, some cinnamon and crushed cloves. Less sophisticated than actual citrus tea, but I've had it as a staple winter drink alongside hot cocoa since I was a child, so... I still have lots of fun making it. x3 My boyfriend also seems to enjoy it iced, but I've only ever had it hot.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:02 am
by Mozag
For me, holiday food is always centered around Christmas.
1. Three different types of raw fish roe, served with toast, huge dollop of smetana on top, raw chopped onions, black pepper and fresh dill. Dear lord, let me have it now.
2. Then comes the foie gras with cranberry jam.
3. And finally, my mother's lamb with those lemon soaked potatoes of delicious heavenliness. Basically, it's a leg of lamb that has been rubbed with all sorts of herbs and spices including cinnamon, stuffed to the brim with garlic and soaked in fantastic cold pressed olive oil and millions of lemons. Then she boils potatoes, fries them a little, throws them in the baking dish and they suck up the juices until they literally are saturated with the flavour of olive oil, lemon, herbs, spices and garlic. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream.
Re: Favorite holiday food
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:40 pm
by Seilahyn
Danielfboone wrote:My mom makes the best stuffing with sausage meat in it.
This sounds rather delicious.
Mozag wrote:3. And finally, my mother's lamb with those lemon soaked potatoes of delicious heavenliness. Basically, it's a leg of lamb that has been rubbed with all sorts of herbs and spices including cinnamon, stuffed to the brim with garlic and soaked in fantastic cold pressed olive oil and millions of lemons. Then she boils potatoes, fries them a little, throws them in the baking dish and they suck up the juices until they literally are saturated with the flavour of olive oil, lemon, herbs, spices and garlic. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream.
Dear god that made my mouth water. I'm sitting here, hungry, waiting for dinner to get done when I read that. The turkey is done early, so the rest of the food isn't prepared yet. (I know, I know, why aren't I helping? I am, just taking a break!)
Wish I had some home made family food I looked forward to during the Holidays. We really don't have anything special. Normal turkey on Thanksgiving, ham for Christmas, and a pork roast for New Years. Although if it gets right, the white wine roast for New Years is pretty darn good. My dad makes my nanny's filling recipe for Thanksgiving, but I don't particularly care for it that much. It has some pretty big onion slices in it and I'm not a fan of onions. I'll eat a small bit of it, but that's it. He tends to over do it a bit, and by over do I mean burn/browning it.
Pumpkin pie is good. Pumpkin bread and roll are yummy as well. Do pomegranates count? They're a fall goody, hehe.
Ooh! I do love the Christmas hard candies, especially the raspberry hard candies filled with raspberry. I only really see them out during Christmas time.