faerie dragon mount?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Re: faerie dragon mount?

Unread post by Silivren »

cowmuflage wrote:I don't see how seeing lots of people with a mount will "ruin" it. I see heaps of people on mounts I like and I would not call it ruining them.
Thats my point, I still love my Heart of the Aspects, and while I dont have a cloud serpent seeing everyone riding on them doesnt make me love them any less.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

That's the same thing as saying a common hunter pet is lesser than a rare pet. Who cares if 15 other people have the same mount? This is WoW, there is almost always going to be somebody with the same thing you have unless you sit at the cream of the crop in PvP and PvE. All achievement based mounts lose their "specialness" the second the content isn't current and becomes easier to obtain. I don't understand the mentality that if someone bought a mount off the store that somehow makes it lesser of a mount.

I work hard for my money in real life and sometimes it's nice to go spend it on new, shiny things for my preferred hobby (WoW in this case). Why should that be compared to a little "work" put in by somebody in game? Most of the mounts obtainable in game aren't necessarily "hard" to get either, they just require a little time and hitting a good streak of RNG, same as hunting down a rare pet. That doesn't make it better than something easier to get, imo.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Makoes wrote:well, they are only everywhere for a short bit. Look at that aspect dragon, first month or so that was all I could see people on, now they are all on cloud serpents. Hardly see any of the kirin mounts now. Its like new pets, you see em everywhere then people revert back to their favorites.
From my personal experience, they stop using it because they see that everyone else is using it. You can't really say that about other mounts-I don't see the new rep rewards, or archaeology, or even older, easier-to-get raid/dungeon drops like Ashes and Raven Lord being used any less often, just because more people have it. I think it's about the mindset of how easy/hard the drops are to get in the first place.
Doctress wrote:
Equeon wrote:There's nothing worse than having an amazing mount ruined by seeing 15 people all flying around on it in Stormwind or Orgrimmar.
What makes store mounts mundane to many is that any old chum with $20 can get one. There's no skill involved, and purchasing things for real-world money is looked down on by some.

These will probably be reputation rewards from the 5.3 Alliance. So I guess everyone wins.

...I'm sorry but I do find your statement completely offense. I work in the real world for money to afford the mounts/things I buy from the store(that isnt to say people who can grind in WoW dont deserve rewards too). I have just as much right to nice things as someone who has time to grind the rep and do the raids when I really dont that often. The fact you dictate theres no skill involved also makes it seem that you think that people who have store mounts lack skill which is also quite offensive. Bottom line is that if you really LOVE the mount you dont CARE who looks down on you for buying it, I sure dont. I ride my Heart of the Aspects all over the place and to hell if someone else has him too, good for them. In the grand scheme of things you should NEVER look down on someone because they buy something from the store, its just plain rude. You never know that may be the only truly cool mount they can get, and they shouldnt be judged for it.
I myself have nothing against players who buy store mounts. I bought the Heart of the Aspects too, (although I rarely use it nowadays) but most store mounts that I see have been met with negative responses.
The Celestial Steed, despite its silly nicknames, seems to have held up the best against these store-mount haters. These haters can fall into a bunch of different categories...

Those who think the mounts are ugly. Plain and simple.
Those who dislike the "ease of access" to the store mounts.
-> Raiders who are jealous of the high-quality animations and overall look of a purchasable mount, whereas they "had to work for theirs." See Celestial Steed vs. Invincible.
-> People who can't afford the store mounts and don't have any cool in-game mounts either.
-> Average people who don't think that an attractive mount should be bought from the store.
Those like me, who just get sick of seeing the same mount all the time. Sure, 6 months after the release, the hype will die down, but until then every other person is riding around on a Shiny McNewdragon.

If these things don't bother you at all, then please, go ahead and buy it! But it is my personal opinion that making a mount widely available cheapens its "wow" factor. Like I said before, the 5.1 and 5.2 rep mounts are used all the time! But the relatively small (WoW-wise) effort to obtain them is all it takes to make it a little less common.
Last edited by Equeon on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I would prefer it to be the 5.3 version of the Grand Wyvern/Grand Gryphon because it would fit so well!

Humans: Grand Gryphon / Orcs: Grand Wyvern
Night Elves: Faerie Dragon / Trolls|Undead(?): Bloodwing (Bat)

And maybe Blood Elf/Worgen/Gnome/Dwarf/Draenei/etc/etc themed mounts in future smaller patches! I think that'd make it a good and cool consistent series of mounts for this war-themed expac!
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Silivren

Qraljar wrote:I would prefer it to be the 5.3 version of the Grand Wyvern/Grand Gryphon because it would fit so well!

And maybe Blood Elf/Worgen/Gnome/Dwarf/Draenei/etc/etc themed mounts in future smaller patches! I think that'd make it a good and cool consistent series of mounts for this war-themed expac!
The only thing about that statement that I'd think maybe something to note is that one of the bat mounts if I remember correctly was white with blue on it. That to me screams alliance, I dont know why but it didnt feel very..horde to me. You could be right, theres just that mount in the back of my mind.

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Qraljar wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... loBz__2XGg#!

Updated video of the Faerie Dragon mount! Here you can see the mountspecial and the way it changed colour!

The whole time I just kept thinking ...

Damn you Blizzard! I'll just hotwire my retirement savings/401K directly to you then! /throws money at screen.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Bangeall »

I adore faerie dragons, absolutely adore them. At first, after seeing the picture, I was a little dismayed by its bizzare head and eyes, but the video is making it grow on me more and more. The wings and tail are beautiful, and if it retains its colour-changing abilities in live that will be quite novel.

What I'm wondering, though, is if this is a theme mount, as in Night Elves - Faeire Dragons and Undead - Bats, why not re-model hippogryphs? Nothing screams Night Elf like a hippogryph. More than likely because they wanted to make sure the Alliance also got something completely new, but it would be great to see a hippogryph that didn't have that 2-D wing effect from the back. That being said, however, I am finding this mount increasingly charming. And Doctress, you are right, it does make one think of How to Train Your Dragon.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Doctress wrote:
Qraljar wrote:I would prefer it to be the 5.3 version of the Grand Wyvern/Grand Gryphon because it would fit so well!

The only thing about that statement that I'd think maybe something to note is that one of the bat mounts if I remember correctly was white with blue on it. That to me screams alliance, I dont know why but it didnt feel very..horde to me. You could be right, theres just that mount in the back of my mind.
There is a normal beast bat model, a normal bat mount model and an epic bat mount model. However, the epic bat mount model can get other skins, but the main skin for it is obviously supposed to be the skin called "undead" as it turns to that everytime I select the mount in WMV.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They really do look gorgeous animated. This is my favourite model so far, by far!

I was a bit surprised they're using it for a mount, though. The model looks fantastic as a tiny beast but I feel it looks just a tad creepy and ungainly at full dragon size. I'll reserve my judgement for now, though.

And I'm fairly sure the colour-changing is deliberate, at least for now. I've never seen a model that has been accidentally coded to change colours before, and it would fit the faerie dragon theme for it to do something freaky like that :) It really does look beautiful.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Silivren

Qraljar wrote:
Doctress wrote:

There is a normal beast bat model, a normal bat mount model and an epic bat mount model. However, the epic bat mount model can get other skins, but the main skin for it is obviously supposed to be the skin called "undead" as it turns to that everytime I select the mount in WMV.
Ok, that makes sense. I can see where you're coming from now, I dont have WMV. I do think the white one would make a gorgeous mount as well! I'd love to see your idea go through.. a Worgen mount that isnt a saddle-less horse with a unique mount special. :lol: They're pretty models dont get me wrong but quite lackluster compared to the art that was released way back when of the boar looking creature.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

If the color changing is deliberate TAKE ALL MY MONEY

Although I am a bit bummed that this does seem to fit well if it were the Alliance equivalent of the Horde Bat mount (5.3 version of the wyvern/gryphon) since I main horde but I guess my silly little worgen can fly around on it. :)
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I never thought they would make a faerie dragon into a mount. I love the look of the wings and the fact it color changes. Although I wish it was a slower gradual change between colors. It changes way too quick in that video imo. The head freaks me out too. If they size down the head and/or eyes a bit then it might look not so creepy.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I'm... gonna go with Blizz Store mount.
The last mount we got from the Blizz Store was also on a non-tier patch, and it was very VERY unique. This has that same feel to it.
These also are EXTREMELY different from bats, with he gryphons and wyverns, those two mounts are set-in-stone racial mounts and they generally have the same feel to them, the bat and the faerie dragon are completely different, though. One faction would be getting a skeleton not used for mounts before and the other would once again be stuck with the (as for now) drake skeleton with a few custom animations.
And let's look at the Swift Windsteed again, that mount is basically the new stag animations with a few custom ones. It just fits.

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Just a thought, but you know what I think would make it really unusual and cool? Especially in light of how I said I think it looks a bit creepy at full size...

If it shrunk you, so you're like faerie sized on a faerie dragon mount. Around the size of a current faerie dragon, or maybe a little bigger. I think that would be awesome and very in theme with it :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

I disagree. Faerie Dragons and Bats are both very iconic creatures. Faerie Dragons were a WCIII Night Elf unit, and Bats have roots with both Undead and Trolls.

Plus, this would mean that both the Bat and the Faerie Dragon are shop items, as they share similar tooltips and levels and all that. (heard it be mentioned that people said it was a Blizzard store mount because it was level 20)

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=97989

ImageFaerie Dragon
Item Level 20
Binds when picked up
Mount (Account-wide)
Use: Teaches you how to summon this mount. This mount changes depending on your Riding skill and location.
Requires Level 20
Requires Apprentice Riding

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=95341

ImageArmored Bloodwing
Item Level 20
Binds when picked up
Mount (Account-wide)
Use: Teaches you how to summon this mount. The capabilities of this mount depend on your Riding skill and location.
Requires Level 20

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Wain wrote:Just a thought, but you know what I think would make it really unusual and cool? Especially in light of how I said I think it looks a bit creepy at full size...
If it shrunk you, so you're like faerie sized on a faerie dragon mount. Around the size of a current faerie dragon, or maybe a little bigger. I think that would be awesome and very in theme with it :)
Eeee, I love this idea!
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Well, the lv 20 tooltip can just be because the mounts are account wide and therefore your lv 20+ can ride it. With account wide mounts, many mounts obtained at higher levels are usable at lv 20+.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Qraljar wrote:I disagree. Faerie Dragons and Bats are both very iconic creatures. Faerie Dragons were a WCIII Night Elf unit, and Bats have roots with both Undead and Trolls.

Plus, this would mean that both the Bat and the Faerie Dragon are shop items, as they share similar tooltips and levels and all that. (heard it be mentioned that people said it was a Blizzard store mount because it was level 20)

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=97989

ImageFaerie Dragon
Item Level 20
Binds when picked up
Mount (Account-wide)
Use: Teaches you how to summon this mount. This mount changes depending on your Riding skill and location.
Requires Level 20

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=95341

ImageArmored Bloodwing
Item Level 20
Binds when picked up
Mount (Account-wide)
Use: Teaches you how to summon this mount. The capabilities of this mount depend on your Riding skill and location.
Requires Level 20
I'm not saying at all that it's going to be a Blizz Store mount because it's level 20, there are already plenty of level 20 mounts that aren't from the Blizzard store. I'm saying my bets are on Blizzstore purely by looks and uniqueness. Yes the bats are really cool but they are already known mounts. The faerie dragon of this size and usage is very, very unique. It's not a fair match to split up between the factions.
The faerie dragon changes color randomly, that's a first for mounts everywhere, and yeah that's because it does fit the creature well, but it's still a brand new thing and a lot of people would be horrible disappointed if their faction couldn't get such a unique aspect in a mount. The bat will... most likely just be a bat. It looks badass and that's about it. But I don't think many people would complain if Alliance could get one as well. Especially now with *insert something hinted at by spoilers from sound files here.*

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Would they dare release 2 blizz store mounts at the same time? My bank... many mounts.. handle it!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Qraljar wrote:I disagree. Faerie Dragons and Bats are both very iconic creatures. Faerie Dragons were a WCIII Night Elf unit, and Bats have roots with both Undead and Trolls.
That may be so, But I'll see your alliance mo-un-ts and call your horde mo-un-ts :D

I just hope that these aren't faction exclusive, would be a real shame imo.
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­