Y u no tank? ---A Blog from too much free time---
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 am
Let me start by saying that I have been a hunter since B/C days. I have always loved the feeling of being an awesome agile archer sending fourth some slick cat, powerful wolf, or lumbering bear to chase down and rend my foe.
However I have always had moments while playing, watching myself distance myself from my enemies as a ranged attacker, and like Robert Barathian I found myself saying .....Piss on that, I want to hit somebody!
One of my favorite ideas of myself when I think of playing a fighter class is going in with a weapon in one hand, a shield in the other. Well that is fine and dandy when you are soloing, but try and join a group as DPS with sword and board and watch how fast you get kicked.
So you think, maybe I could tank. I mean the idea is pretty awesome. You standing toe to toe with a huge enemy, blade in one hand, shield blocking the blows being struck. Keeping the squishy DPS and heals safe....If only it was that true....or easy.
Instead you have to try and un clusterf*** situations that were not your fault. Sure you can keep the attention of 3 mobs, but hey, the Warlock just panicked when something attacked him, and he just feared the mob into a convention of baddies. Is it the locks fault? Ohhoho no. It was yours Mr. Shiny pants. Healer goes afk in the middle of the fight and you die. "Well why don't you have better gear?"
Another standard that tanks are held to is knowledge of every single bosses battle rotation. You are expected to know that random boss 4c, when he hits 40 percent health pulls a claymore from behind a bush, then fires a Kamahaha blast out his ass. No other party member is expected to do that kind of homework. But you are, because you are the tank.
So it comes down to this when you play a melee combatant. Be a glass cannon, or be a tank...well being a tank is too much, much too much, so I guess I will have to settle for being the guy in the back firing the arrows
However I have always had moments while playing, watching myself distance myself from my enemies as a ranged attacker, and like Robert Barathian I found myself saying .....Piss on that, I want to hit somebody!
One of my favorite ideas of myself when I think of playing a fighter class is going in with a weapon in one hand, a shield in the other. Well that is fine and dandy when you are soloing, but try and join a group as DPS with sword and board and watch how fast you get kicked.
So you think, maybe I could tank. I mean the idea is pretty awesome. You standing toe to toe with a huge enemy, blade in one hand, shield blocking the blows being struck. Keeping the squishy DPS and heals safe....If only it was that true....or easy.
Instead you have to try and un clusterf*** situations that were not your fault. Sure you can keep the attention of 3 mobs, but hey, the Warlock just panicked when something attacked him, and he just feared the mob into a convention of baddies. Is it the locks fault? Ohhoho no. It was yours Mr. Shiny pants. Healer goes afk in the middle of the fight and you die. "Well why don't you have better gear?"
Another standard that tanks are held to is knowledge of every single bosses battle rotation. You are expected to know that random boss 4c, when he hits 40 percent health pulls a claymore from behind a bush, then fires a Kamahaha blast out his ass. No other party member is expected to do that kind of homework. But you are, because you are the tank.
So it comes down to this when you play a melee combatant. Be a glass cannon, or be a tank...well being a tank is too much, much too much, so I guess I will have to settle for being the guy in the back firing the arrows