Alliance or Horde?

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Alliance or Horde?

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Ok Petopians here is your chance...
I mostly play Alliance because when I made my Night Elf Death Knight my then ex gf was big on ugh Blood Elves and we at the time were on our downward way and to spite her I went Alliance though I do play Horde have one in guild also one on Blackwater Raiders. What do you guys mostly play and why, Horde...Alliance...or both.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Alliance or Horde?

Unread post by Lisaara »

Alliance, baby! All the way!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Horde mostly. I find the Alliance stories to be really boring and I have zero love for any of their leaders. Lore wise and design wise. Also I enjoy the Hordes colour scheme more too. Red will always beat out blue for me.

Also I can't play a talking cow in the Alliance ;)
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm with Cow on this, the Horde have always been more interesting to me. I love the races and the back stories, I just don't find the Alliance plots as compelling. And yeah, the Horde colours and symbol are much more fun to have. ;)

That being said, I still have some Alliance alts since it's hard to play the game for 9 years and not check out the other side every once in a while. The heart of the game will always be the Horde for me though. :) I only focus on my main character in terms of doing achievements, gear, and anything of note in the game. Alts I generally make when I have the urge to do something different for a bit, they're just for fun.
Last edited by Vephriel on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Horde. I agree with Cowmuflage, the storyline on the Alliance side is dull and boring to me.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Horde, here! I appreciate Alliance plenty, but Horde has always matched me way, way better than Alliance. Partially the races- there isn't a single Alliance race I'd choose over a Horde race. I have a huge bias towards rougher, more beastly fantasy races- I think it comes from growing up watching orcs/goblins/anything not elf-dwarf-human be the evil guys. I always felt like that was really unfair, so when I got to play them and see their lore? Oh, man, sign me up.

Of course, it helps that I also vastly prefer their lore, politics, aesthetics, zones, towns, quests, mood, mounts... ...I really just love Horde a lot. They hold my interest a LOT better than Alliance. Pair that with my bias towards the underdogs/less "perfect" races (I am fully aware Alliance races are incredibly flawed too, but the general Alliance attitude makes me writhe), and I'm hard to drag away from my precious Horde.

I guess I've just never been able to get interested in Alliance races. I tried very hard, especially with Worgen (that was a mistake), Draenei and Dwarves, but... I just can't do it.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I play both. I don't have a strong feeling for either faction, but I do prefer certain races: all the druid races and Pandaren.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Arthur »

Alliance.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I've played both myself.

I started as a blood elf hunter because my brother wanted me to play on his side and I liked the look of the blood elves the most. It was alright, I found a guild that I liked and fit into and had fun for about a year. Then I talked my friend into joining and she wanted to try Alliance. I said okay, told my horde guild that I was making an alli alt with a little guild, nothing special-mostly put the guild together so my buddy and I could use guild chat to talk while doing instances etc.

My horde guild didn't like that I had a friend to play with, even though I checked in nightly to see if they needed anything. They also said I was trying to steal members by saying 'hey if anyone has an alli toon I made an alt guild for us if you wish to talk on that side'. And so I was kicked from the guild. Needless to say, after all the work I put into the guild (I was even their webmaster!), to be kicked out because I wanted to try the other side with my best friend... Oh that made me furious and hurt.

So I faction changed all of my toons to the Alliance and didn't look back.

Its been about 3-4 years now since then, and I have made a pair of horde toons when I started to get bored, so I've been back there since the whole rude guild thing, and have had fun playing horde side again, though I thought that guild had poisoned me to it for awhile there.

Out of the two factions, I much prefer alliance zones and questlines. Story wise they are not all about conquer this conquer that, and I find that suits me more. As to players, at least on my server, the Alli side is MUCH more mature. Sure we still have trolls in trade chat and rude SOBs that I would prefer never to meet, but it is not nearly as bad as the chats and people on the horde side. I go and ignore a pair of trolls in alli trade chat, whereas I just turn off horde trade chat because it can get so vulgar.

Community wise, it feels, at least on my servers, that the alliance is mostly adults with a smattering of hormone-crazed teenagers, while as the Horde side is mostly hormone-charged teenagers and a smattering of adults.

And thats really what I have strong feelings for on picking a faction, how the people conduct themselves.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Alliance. I've had a similar experience to Shade when the playerbase at large felt older Alliance-side, even though I know plenty of older Horde players.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Alliance. I have never been able to get into my horde characters that much. I used my free level boost on my Tauren, but I hardly play her at all.

I just love my Draenei too much and I fit in with the Alliance so well.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Horde. I never could click with alliance.
Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Horde. Always, now, and forever.

Like some of you guys, I have a few Alliance-side toons from races I wanted to try out, but I could never get into the lore or quest lines, so leveling them has been very, very slow going because whenever I go to play one of them, I always end up missing Horde-side after not even five minutes of playtime. I also prefer most of the Horde-side faction leaders, while I only like two Alliance-side faction leaders (Velen and Greymane); plus, I managed to stick it out through most of Garrosh's BS (I will NEVER forgive him for what he did to my precious Klaxxi and my baby Kovok). Also, blood elves are my favorite playable race by a mile, I've always loved their lore and history, and no other race will ever pull me away from them.

When I first started out, my boyfriend and I were Alliance, but we also rolled Horde-side toons to mess around with, we both found ourselves preferring the Horde, due to the opposite effect Shade and Kalliope experienced. We found that the majority of people Horde-side were more mature while the hormone-crazed teenagers were more frequent on the Alliance-side. Also, pretty much everyone who's ever hurt me has been Alliance, while I've had next to no trouble with fellow Horde players, even though I've run into a few creeps on my own side here and there. But, yeah, I'm a Horde girl at heart, and I always will be.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Horde. I was alliance for years, but I transferred my main to horde about two years ago and have loved it. But.. it's mainly because my server is pretty dead alliance side, more so than horde.

I love a lot of the alliance races still though, and always have a bit of nostalgia. I'm not one of those people that are "OMG EW ALLIANCE"... I'll gladly have toons both side (and I do, two 90 horde and two 90 alliance, though the alliance aren't played as much).

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Kayb »

LupisDarkmoon wrote: especially with Worgen (that was a mistake)

Agree completely, the Worgen were a massive let down. Terrible models, animations, sounds, boring as hell starter zone, terrible, terrible retcon story. Ugh.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I've played both. 90% of my friends when I played were Alliance but... Well then my boyfriend started playing and I found myself massively in love with the horde side. I felt terrible because I was always guilted when I went horde or played my horde toons. I love Tauren. Massively and wholeheartedly. Troll females are cool, except they don't blink.. *shudder* I've always wanted a higher level belf because that's my boyfriends favorite race alongside Undead. I am excited to see the remodels of the alliance races as well but Tauren females I'm eagerly awaiting. :3

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Kayb wrote:
LupisDarkmoon wrote: especially with Worgen (that was a mistake)

Agree completely, the Worgen were a massive let down. Terrible models, animations, sounds, boring as hell starter zone, terrible, terrible retcon story. Ugh.
I'm hoping with the other races getting new models, they'll do the same for worgen and goblin as well. I'm sure they will eventually. Even if they came with Cata, and they're still "new" according to blizz... look at them. Even if, save for worgen female, they don't look that bad, they are nothing compared to the Pandaren and the new character models we've seen since. And if they do make them new models... I hope they change the worgen female quite a bit. Less Chihuahua for a start.

I was so excited for worgen but they just weren't anything like I expected.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I guess unlike others here, I absolutely LOVED the Worgen starter zone.
It's the only Alliance race I've enjoyed levelling... until you leave the Worgen starter area. Then it just turns into the same dull crap as all the other Alliance races.
I've actually levelled 4 or 5 Worgen, just for the pleasure of that starter zone.

HOWEVER.. I am Horde through and through. (Worgen should have been Horde )
Most of my 30 or so toons are B.Elf.
I've never really played Undead (I don't really care for the starter zone) though I DO have one waiting to be levelled; I have one or two Trolls and Orcs; one Goblin; and one Moocow. OH! and a couple of Horde Pandaren.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Kayb »

Agreed on Worgen being Horde. Yes, it would have been hard for them to accept the Horde, but I think it could have worked.

Super super basic sketchy musing on the idea...

The Worgen curse is spreading like wildfire throughout Gilneas. When Alliance forces came to their ports (not night elves) shortly after the Cataclysm, Genn begrudingly sought their aid. However, the Alliance recoiled, viewing the Gilneans as monsters who could not be saved. They openly attacked Gilneas, to kill the beasts and claim what was left to set up a staging ground against the Forsaken. Sylvannas took the opportunity to offer her aid to Genn and his people. She reasoned that the Alliance had too shunned the Forsaken as nothing more than monsters, despite having regained freewill from Arthas. Genn had little choice but to accept the offer, lest he risk an assault from the Forsaken as well. The combined Gilnean and Forsaken forces drove the Alliance out, and defeating the invading Worgens as well. In the aftermath, nearly the entire population of Gilneas was afflicted with the Worgen curse. Although it went against everything in his being, Genn joined with the Horde formally.

I would imagine that long term story stuff could involve Genn's journey hating the Horde and waiting for the right moment to abandon them, to eventually trusting and welcoming the friendship of the Horde as those who took them in when their former Alliance brethren shunned them.

Plus no stupid lore retcon about feral druids n stuff. Restore the old lore!

/end rant. sorry.

ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

cowmuflage wrote:Horde mostly. I find the Alliance stories to be really boring and I have zero love for any of their leaders. Lore wise and design wise. Also I enjoy the Hordes colour scheme more too. Red will always beat out blue for me.

Also I can't play a talking cow in the Alliance ;)