In-Game Cinematics

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: In-Game Cinematics

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Yeah I've had for a long time had the stance of "if it was that important they'd put it in the game somehow".
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

cowmuflage wrote:Yeah I've had for a long time had the stance of "if it was that important they'd put it in the game somehow".
I think thats true for the most part. Although after I read "The Shattering" I felt like I wouldn't know anything about the paladin - tauren relationship or the dwarf kings without reading it. There's probably a quest somewhere that explains it but at the time I remember thinking "gee how would you know this without that book?!".

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

LupisDarkmoon wrote: (On the genocide thing, Tyrande is a little scary. Though I'm getting pretty wary around Varian ever since the Lords of War episode where... Okay, so Maraad has just told him about warlords that fought impossible odds to save their people from the ogres, who have enslaved, tortured, and killed them in droves. He's even told Varian about the one that was a pit fighter. Ring any bells, Varian? Noooo, apparently not, because "So they're all monsters" is a thing he actually says. He apparently has no ability to see the warlords as anything but mindless killing machines despite having these heartstring pulling stories told to him.)
This. After that line, Maraad tells him a story on the loyalty of one clan. But I swear Varian was not convinced that orcs are anything less than monsters.

"This wolf still has teeth." I loved that line :3 can't remember which warlord said it but it gave me chills! Kilrogg? No. Wasn't Durotan...who was it?
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Hellscream I think. Uh who ever that Warsong one was. I think.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Yup, Grom Hellscream it was, just before he miketysoned that ogre, omnomnom :P

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I loved that little umbrella that ogre had XD
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Cow, I want that umbrella. XD Why can't we have fancy umbrellas?! XD

That aside, regardless if you like it or not, the books are canon. HOWEVER, I wish they would put some more stuff in the game rather than in the books. Even just something to summarize wtf happened in the books. A small cinematic or questline...something! Cause people who can't/won't/don't read the books won't know anything that happened.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Junrei wrote:
Azunara wrote:
Junrei wrote:I know, I thought it was a little overboard but it seems if you take Warchief and take someone under your wing that screwed up royally, you're responsible for them.
And yet people say Thrall is innocent and Garrosh chose his own path. ;)
I don't think Thrall was in charge of those charges. It never says who decided them.

Thrall made his errors but Garrosh did choose his own path too. Neither are innocent...only one decided to correct it.
No, I'm just laughing because you said if you take in someone as Warchief and they screw up, you're responsible for their actions. Like Zaela and Garrosh...or Garrosh and Thrall. He may not have laid the charges, but by your argument he's still responsible. (I'm mostly teasing you now, don't worry about it. I'm being silly.)

As for the books, yeah I agree with the approach that if I have to go buy the book in order to find out what happens, then it's not important. First off, that's stupid. Second, not everyone is going to do that. If it doesn't come up in game, then it doesn't matter and I don't really consider it immediately relevant or 'lore-worthy'. More flavor texts than anything.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I don't accept the books as canon at all. To be honest that's the stupidest logic that Blizz has going for them. If it's canon have it in game or not at all. Case in point. Remember that guy Rhonin? Leader of the Kirin Tor and all the jazz. Last I checked he was still alive in game but according to book lore he's dead. So yeah... I don't believe a word of lore from the new books.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Lupis, you tease! :P *swats at* I was jus' sayin' that's apparently how it's being done. I think it's stupid, granted, but that's apparently how that's going since Alexstrasza is being brought to testify, though there's a chance he did do the stuff to his own orcs. I wouldn't put it past him, tbh, but that's just speculation. Don't make me headbutt you...

Yeah I mean...don't get me wrong. I love the books, truly, but I want more in the game, even cut scenes. I'll take em! Just something to reflect what generally went on in the books!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

Kenna wrote:I don't accept the books as canon at all. To be honest that's the stupidest logic that Blizz has going for them. If it's canon have it in game or not at all. Case in point. Remember that guy Rhonin? Leader of the Kirin Tor and all the jazz. Last I checked he was still alive in game but according to book lore he's dead. So yeah... I don't believe a word of lore from the new books.
The books are very much canon. Rhonin is dead Valleria makes reference during the isle of thunder opening quest chain as well as few other points during the isle of thunder. Saying the horde will pay for taking her husband from her. "death"

Reason Rhonin is still "alive" in Dalaran is because blizzard would have to add in a new npc in Rhonins place and have to do new dialogue as well as voice recordings. "Ulduar stuff"
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

I really wish they'd work more on making the world react to what happens in the books. Important things happen in the books that go completely ignored in the game world, because they never update anything! I don't even remember how long it took for Theramore to be the smoking wreckage it's supposed to- ...wait, is it even gone yet?

That's the thing. The books make these huge sweeping changes and then the game can't follow through with them. Theramore's a quest area, so they can't really destroy that. Rhonin has quest text so can't really kill him easily. Korialistrasz, too, has important text and he needs to be around even though he's dead.

Just- come on. If you're going to have all those important lore bits happen, make them happen in the game that people came to play, not the books that only a few people bother reading. Otherwise a whole lot of people are not going to have any idea what's happening in lore- and that's not their fault, because unless you're a fan of that style of book, reading the books is agony.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:I really wish they'd work more on making the world react to what happens in the books. Important things happen in the books that go completely ignored in the game world, because they never update anything! I don't even remember how long it took for Theramore to be the smoking wreckage it's supposed to- ...wait, is it even gone yet?

That's the thing. The books make these huge sweeping changes and then the game can't follow through with them. Theramore's a quest area, so they can't really destroy that. Rhonin has quest text so can't really kill him easily. Korialistrasz, too, has important text and he needs to be around even though he's dead.

Just- come on. If you're going to have all those important lore bits happen, make them happen in the game that people came to play, not the books that only a few people bother reading. Otherwise a whole lot of people are not going to have any idea what's happening in lore- and that's not their fault, because unless you're a fan of that style of book, reading the books is agony.
*remembers Krasus/Korialstraz*
;-;
Actually, in one book it speaks of Krasus actually being able to breath fire. No. I'm not being stupid. Of course dragons can breath fire -.- well. Some. However, in 'Night of the Dragon' Korialstraz is weakened and as such can only be in his elven form. In this form he stretches his mouth wide (I tried to imagine it, and got some odd alien creature stuck in my head) and breathes fire. At what point do you see dragons in disguise going around burning things with their fire breathing abilities? Never. I can think of many times when it'd be a good idea to follow suit in Krasus' ways. But NOOO. Apparently, just Krasus can do that. And has he done this since? Nope. There's so many flaws in the writing that the books can't be in sync with the games. That's how people miss out on lore. The game doesn't apply to the books. Krasus is dead. You still see him standing around Wyrmrest Temple. It just bugs me...

Poor Krasus. You fought bravely ;-;
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

SetsunaChan wrote:
Kenna wrote:I don't accept the books as canon at all. To be honest that's the stupidest logic that Blizz has going for them. If it's canon have it in game or not at all. Case in point. Remember that guy Rhonin? Leader of the Kirin Tor and all the jazz. Last I checked he was still alive in game but according to book lore he's dead. So yeah... I don't believe a word of lore from the new books.
The books are very much canon. Rhonin is dead Valleria makes reference during the isle of thunder opening quest chain as well as few other points during the isle of thunder. Saying the horde will pay for taking her husband from her. "death"

Reason Rhonin is still "alive" in Dalaran is because blizzard would have to add in a new npc in Rhonins place and have to do new dialogue as well as voice recordings. "Ulduar stuff"
And you can claim to believe that canon but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. Anytime you have to go to outside sources for lore in a game you play, the business is doing it wrong AND it's not like they can't change it. They have the money. And as Lupis said thats the problem with making sweeping changes in, what is in my opinion, very poorly written books. So you keep your opinion and I'll keep mine.

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Just wow...

Just because Garry had daddy issues and greenJesus jealousy, we are supposed to excuse all he did?
Account has been closed at user's request.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Slickrock wrote:Just wow...

Just because Garry had daddy issues and greenJesus jealousy, we are supposed to excuse all he did?
Read our first page or two of discussion because nope, that's not really what we're trying to say! General consensus is, overall, "Garrosh messed up bigtime but Thrall is to blame too". Which is why some of us were so angry- Thrall gets to walk away from this guilt free. Which is BS. Garrosh definitely takes a good amount of blame, but that Thrall got to say "no it's ALL YOUR FAULT" goes against... heck, an entire book worth of lore.

Then again the books are iffy lore wise so *shrugs*

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Disagree. Thrall has plenty of issues, but Garry is responsible for his own actions.

Or do I get a pass because my dad was a drunk?
Account has been closed at user's request.