/sigh... Arpen and spreadsheets.
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:11 am
So I use spreadsheets to make sure I am doing the best thing for my DPS. I check armories, inspect people, and do tons of research. I know the Arpen softcap is less for BM hunters than MM, which is my secondary spec. I am gemmed agil for MM, and was gathering my gear up to hopefully get to the point of being able to gem Arpen. I got rid of all my non exotics save for Gezzerak, whom I can't really raid with, so I am locked into BM for the most part, and am perfectly fine with that. The thing I am not fine with is the problem that has me stumped, and anyone I talk to- regemming full Arpen will be a DPS loss for me. I was a bit under the softcap for BM, but figured, eh, what the hell, and when I first ran it through, it was only a 2.4 or something upgrade- not worth the money or time to regem.
I made my Rock-Steady Treads today, and when I compared agil vs Arpen, the Arpen came out on top by a little, so I went with that since it was fresh sockets. When I played with the gems in the spread more, the agil game out higher by a little than Arpen every time in every lot except the boots. I did get confused, however, because in one run, the spread showed my high lvl items (Onslaught Cloak, Sanctified gloves, but oddly not Longstrider's Vest) having the arpen gem as a slight upgrade, and then when I tried again later, a DPS loss...
I did the math, and by my train of thought, by gemming full Arpen, minus the meta/Nightmare Tear, would bring me almost to the Arpen hard cap when NES procs, which is what we want, ideally, at least from the media I read. My guildmate told me to try Rawr, and see the results. I like the interface, and at first it showed the Arpen as an upgrade, once I applied the raid buffs, or so it seemed, the Arpen was a downgrade. It still suggested Arpen gemmed gear as my upgrades, so I don't understand why my estimated DPS went down (even if only a few points).
I would swap the gems in my good gear if it was an upgrade, but it just wasn't showing that way. I don't know if I am missing something or not. Any help? Hope it's not something blindingly obvious...
Edit-- armory link:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Suicune
I made my Rock-Steady Treads today, and when I compared agil vs Arpen, the Arpen came out on top by a little, so I went with that since it was fresh sockets. When I played with the gems in the spread more, the agil game out higher by a little than Arpen every time in every lot except the boots. I did get confused, however, because in one run, the spread showed my high lvl items (Onslaught Cloak, Sanctified gloves, but oddly not Longstrider's Vest) having the arpen gem as a slight upgrade, and then when I tried again later, a DPS loss...
I did the math, and by my train of thought, by gemming full Arpen, minus the meta/Nightmare Tear, would bring me almost to the Arpen hard cap when NES procs, which is what we want, ideally, at least from the media I read. My guildmate told me to try Rawr, and see the results. I like the interface, and at first it showed the Arpen as an upgrade, once I applied the raid buffs, or so it seemed, the Arpen was a downgrade. It still suggested Arpen gemmed gear as my upgrades, so I don't understand why my estimated DPS went down (even if only a few points).
I would swap the gems in my good gear if it was an upgrade, but it just wasn't showing that way. I don't know if I am missing something or not. Any help? Hope it's not something blindingly obvious...
Edit-- armory link:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Suicune