More BM artifact variants

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Re: More BM artifact variants

Unread post by Rikaku »

Vephriel wrote: I am bummed out about not liking the gun models though because if there's one thing I enjoy doing it's working to unlock things as a bit of a completionist, and having no real reason to unlock all of my artifact appearances is kind of a downer.
Veph hit the nail on the head for me. I love unlocking things or having a 'goal'. When I'm hearing Blizzard tell people "well if you don't like the artifact, transmog it", it kinda irks the crap out of me. No offense, and I understand you can't please everyone. But don't tell people transmogging is the answer or solution when it really isn't. You're still telling us to essentially 'transmog' over an entire experience (not just weapon) when that's the solution you give.

If I had been told "well BM you get locked into an artifact, but here's your choices: Bow or Gun." I'd be happy even if I thought all the models weren't to my liking, at least I get a bow to flow with my characters design and history.
Quivering wrote:I know many artifacts are new, and have new story written just for them. I get that, but this feels so forced. "Techno-magical" made me cringe when I read it for the first time, but thats just my opinion.

What really gets me is the fact they are focusing so much on fantasy, yet a dwarf sharpshooter (MM) using a bow (a Windrunner bow of all things) is one the most fantasy breaking thing I could imagine. And a night elf beast master using a gun? I know they had to lock in the artifact weapon class in order to go forward with this idea, I get that. I just dont understand how a beastmaster using a bow breaks fantasy, but a night elf using a gun doesnt.

I have a feeling were gonna see a bunch of BM hunters transmogging to old weapons, because they have no option for a new bow/xbow model to use.

NAIL HIT. AGAIN. So much of this.

It irked me a lot sitting at the panels there and listening to them say "we want the fantasy to feel right" and all this other stuff, but then tell many of us Hunters in the same breath "YOU'LL LOVE THE ARTIFACT BECAUSE IT FITS THAT FANTASY."

It really doesn't, and you're forcing it. Honestly, if I remember lore correctly, majority of the Hunter-races in Azeroth use Bows or Crossbows. The singular only reason I can imagine that gun was the 'given choice of BM hunters' is because Blizzard is in love with the mental image from the opening cinematic where a Dwarf is wielding a gun, with his bear companion. And maybe if I was a dwarf or an engineer, a gun would be the clear choice; but a gun is not the weapon my Night Elf would use. So this whole "forced" feel just makes me angry, instead of just objectively disappointed in the design.

Vephriel wrote:Hrkkk seeing those bow models just makes me even more envious of the other specs. They're SO much more awesome than the guns. ;A;
Yep, same feeling. When I saw all the weapons on the Legion Webpage that showed all the weapons the classes and specs will be receiving; and then the awesome panels showing the color/elemental/etc variants....

BM's looks so lackluster compared to that. These weapons don't at all look nearly as legendary as these other weapons. I'm sorry, but it looks like we're getting questing gear if Ulduar was a quest hub =/ All I can do is hope that these aren't the polished/finished products or that a later patch will address more variants.

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I personally love the gun, the base and "improved/advanced" versions especially. It's hard to find a gun that looks like a nice, elegant rifle without too many bells and whistles or something else going on. A lot of guns look like enormous, ridiculous cannons, or a musket, or fires some sort of crystal-thing. But here, we get a simple-yet-beautiful bolt-action rifle. Nice colorful bits, but not so over-done that it's off-putting, like the green drop rifles from Pandaria which seem to be based off lever-action Winchesters. Amazing model, but none of the color sets were particularly appealing, so I had a hard time liking them. The True-Aim Long Rifle from ToC5 is a great example of a weapon I thought was handled well.

Even with BM feeling the most "natural" I think a gun suits it well. Having to handle a beast seems like you'd have less time to concentrate and line up a good shot with a bow, while a gun, despite still needing time to aim well, doesn't really require the same focus. Considering the base is even cut down like a carbine, it's even better. Lightweight and easy to maneuver. Fire, call out some commands while you work the bolt or do what you have to. A marksman, on the other hand, has all the time to set up without worrying about controlling some animal... just taking aim, firing and nailing some guy outta nowhere. The emphasis on marksmen staying still in WoD (and keeping sniper training in Legion) further enforces hauling a big ol' ranger bow everywhere.

I'll definitely be sticking to BM for Titanstrike.
Last edited by PrimalTazza on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Definitely agree with the above. I can appreciate how for some classes it's ideal for the the relic to vary with spec, but I think hunters are a prime example of where it's better not to (for the two ranged specs), but rather offer the different option on the player's preference of bow vs. gun and vary the relics / powers depending on the spec. The reactions of most posters here would be addressed if they did it that way and I think it'd make a much more interesting and far less forced story if they did.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Honestly at this point I'm more ticked off by the quest chain than the weapon's looks itself, even if I'd personally prefer a bow. It's just that after seeing other class' weapons and bits and pieces of their quest chain, I'm just really bummed that as a BM hunter I'll be dealing with Mimiron... which makes no sense when BM hunters are the more primal and savage spec that feels most at home in the wilderness. From the class preview released today: "beast masters are drawn to the perilous primal world, invigorated by its dangerous and untamed nature. Primitive landscape becomes home." So how exactly does an artifact created by Mimiron - an engineer - make sense?

It'd be so much more fun if we went out into the wild with our beast at our side to find our artifact, perhaps dealing with Rexxar or even Nesingwary. They said class identity is a big focus this expac, but it seems like they're totally going against that statement here.

Things can always change of course, but the chance of Blizz totally rewriting the artifact quest chain seems very unlikely.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Lupen202 wrote:Honestly at this point I'm more ticked off by the quest chain than the weapon's looks itself, even if I'd personally prefer a bow. It's just that after seeing other class' weapons and bits and pieces of their quest chain, I'm just really bummed that as a BM hunter I'll be dealing with Mimiron... which makes no sense when BM hunters are the more primal and savage spec that feels most at home in the wilderness. From the class preview released today: "beast masters are drawn to the perilous primal world, invigorated by its dangerous and untamed nature. Primitive landscape becomes home." So how exactly does an artifact created by Mimiron - an engineer - make sense?

It'd be so much more fun if we went out into the wild with our beast at our side to find our artifact, perhaps dealing with Rexxar or even Nesingwary. They said class identity is a big focus this expac, but it seems like they're totally going against that statement here.

Things can always change of course, but the chance of Blizz totally rewriting the artifact quest chain seems very unlikely.
Agreed. :/ I just feel no draw or interest toward the BM artifact, lore, or quest chain, which is a real letdown. I'm certain there are people who do like it and I don't want to dissuade them. Man though, I'm glad I have an alt to do the MM quest chain on because I can't wait to learn more about Alleria. I couldn't care less about Mimiron.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Vephriel wrote:
Lupen202 wrote:Honestly at this point I'm more ticked off by the quest chain than the weapon's looks itself, even if I'd personally prefer a bow. It's just that after seeing other class' weapons and bits and pieces of their quest chain, I'm just really bummed that as a BM hunter I'll be dealing with Mimiron... which makes no sense when BM hunters are the more primal and savage spec that feels most at home in the wilderness. From the class preview released today: "beast masters are drawn to the perilous primal world, invigorated by its dangerous and untamed nature. Primitive landscape becomes home." So how exactly does an artifact created by Mimiron - an engineer - make sense?

Agreed. :/ I just feel no draw or interest toward the BM artifact, lore, or quest chain, which is a real letdown. I'm certain there are people who do like it and I don't want to dissuade them. Man though, I'm glad I have an alt to do the MM quest chain on because I can't wait to learn more about Alleria. I couldn't care less about Mimiron.
Agreed with both of you. I'm not sure how Mimiron ties in with being "drawn to the perilous primal world" and Hunters who find "primitive landscape becomes home". I just don't. Rexxar would've been a great candidate for that line. IDK about Nesingwary since he's really more of a trophy hunter than someone whose in love with the primal world; but heck he'd still make a lot more sense then Mimiron.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have an alt run the MM quest chain just so I can see the background with Alleria, cause that's going to be awesome.

Wain wrote:Definitely agree with the above. I can appreciate how for some classes it's ideal for the the relic to vary with spec, but I think hunters are a prime example of where it's better not to (for the two ranged specs), but rather offer the different option on the player's preference of bow vs. gun and vary the relics / powers depending on the spec. The reactions of most posters here would be addressed if they did it that way and I think it'd make a much more interesting and far less forced story if they did.
Agreed. I would be totally happy and fine going forward if I could have a bow; even if it was Alleria in my quest story and she has nothing to do with BM. As I said before, its not like Mimiron is that closely tied to us either lol

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I like the gun, and I like Mimiron (although that's because I imagine my gnome priest is a devotee). But I can entirely understand why being pigeonholed to a gun for BM or a bow for MM would be really frustrating. It's like the opposite direction that xmog and racial redesigns went.
I know the rule right now is that you can't transmog artifacts onto other weapons, but I think there's a strong case for BM/MM being able to do so. It's not like other players won't be able to tell what spec the hunter is.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I really think that would be the best solution. They could keep all the lore and story they've already written, but allow transmogging of the bow and gun only. You'd still have to go to the trouble of getting the artifact skins for the other spec.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wow yeah, what on earth does Mimiron have to do with Hunters at all, let alone Beast masters?? puzzling. guess thats what the quest will reveal.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I'm pretty thankful MM is my main spec atm (even though I'll keep BM as my off) as the gun and it's story is pretty sucky. I agree with most people in this thread as it doesn't make any sense to be locked into a gun and story that holds little relevance to most BM hunters.

I usually lvl as BM but I guess that might be hard to do this time round? This might of been asked before but if you do the questline as MM and switch spec does your bow turn into the gun? Or do I need a "back-up" weapon for my off-spec?

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Pewmew
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: aegwynn

Unread post by Pewmew »

Something that adds to the appearance problem is that many of the better looks are probably locked behind hard unlocks.

Challenge modes, rated BGs, arenas, quest lines, raids, and other tasks will have artifact models attached to them.

I don't want to be forced to PVP just because the artifact look I want is gated behind a PVP challenge. :geek:
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Castile wrote:I usually lvl as BM but I guess that might be hard to do this time round? This might of been asked before but if you do the questline as MM and switch spec does your bow turn into the gun? Or do I need a "back-up" weapon for my off-spec?
You'll need a back-up weapon to use until you do the quest line to get the BM gun, as the bow is tied to the MM spec as far as we've been told.
ImageImage
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Castile wrote:I usually lvl as BM but I guess that might be hard to do this time round? This might of been asked before but if you do the questline as MM and switch spec does your bow turn into the gun? Or do I need a "back-up" weapon for my off-spec?
You'll need a back-up weapon to use until you do the quest line to get the BM gun, as the bow is tied to the MM spec as far as we've been told.
Ah ok so you can essentially get both artifacts? Thats good to know atleast.

Shadowlands

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Castile wrote:
Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Ah ok so you can essentially get both artifacts? Thats good to know atleast.
All 3 of them since we get tri-spec! Though I kinda feel sorry for someone who plays a druid and want all artifacts, gonna be one hell of a ride since they have quad-spec. :shock:
ImageImage
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

And the opposite being true of Demon Hunters who only have two specs. They will get it very easily. I'm definitely rolling a DH but I am still up in the air about the tanking spec.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

still really bummed about this. Almost bitter actually. I absolutely love unlocking things and unlocking artifact skins seems really fun but i cant stand guns. The eagle eye one could maybe fit one of my alts if it came in a black and orange color but that's as close as it gets for me.
I really do love some of those bow designs but i will, unfortunately, be mogging over my gun and missing out on an entire content feature this xpack because i know if i unlocked the gun looks they would never see the light of day. :(

i wish specs with some of the more similar fuctioning weapons could have the choice to choose between those artifacts instead of getting stuck with something they don't like.

i feel like they are getting so wrapped up in class identity that they are forcing us to lose our own identity.

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

SylviaDragon wrote: i feel like they are getting so wrapped up in class identity that they are forcing us to lose our own identity.
This line pretty much sums up how I feel about both the artifact and pet thing for MM.

Shadowlands

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

I LOVE the new guns.. especially for dwarfs, the gun is a excellent choice, and there are some there that would be good for horde, others for alliance.

The bows.. are terrible. it's basically one bow that gets gradually upgraded, and an ugly crossbow. Who wants an xbow that looks like an old Steelhawk variant? The guns have distinct different looks.. the bow is all the same.

I can't see how everyone likes these bows... they are boring, don't fit on anything other than a BE, and look pretty much just like every other elven bow.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Castile wrote:
SylviaDragon wrote: i feel like they are getting so wrapped up in class identity that they are forcing us to lose our own identity.
This line pretty much sums up how I feel about both the artifact and pet thing for MM.
I'd say they are setting a new baseline.. the changes we are seeing should carry us through the next few expacs if they build a good foundation.
Account has been closed at user's request.
yaginoashi
Realm: Uldaman

Unread post by yaginoashi »

I don't get how the bm artifact is going to be a gun lol .....we are not riding down foxes across the old English Moore.. I think our artifact should maybe be a special pet or some sort of pet taming device... Just an opinion tho