Gnome hunters!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Gnome hunters!

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:A tauren would fit in the mouth of a devilsaur just as easily as a gnome. So I also still fail to see the validity of the "too small" claim.
Exactly. Compared to a giant beast, all races are negligibly different in size. I believe the game isn't meant to be taken that literally or seriously, as much of it would just fall apart under close scrutiny. And with gnomes I think they decided long ago, the more absurd the better :) If you like them, enjoy the fun :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Exactly. I mean, gnomes automatically magnify the size of their mounts for no reason so...

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Xota wrote:A tauren would fit in the mouth of a devilsaur just as easily as a gnome. So I also still fail to see the validity of the "too small" claim.
Oh well...
A Tauren would fit into a devilsaurs mouth, yeah, maybe.
But you wouldn't need a devilsaurs mouth to put a gnome in! A simple cat would do the trick.

I remember being at my friends house, his son was playing his gnome warlock while we were watching.
Suddenly my friend said: "Turn around, there's another mob behind you!"
Turned out the "mob" was a rabbit! (True story!)

You know why gnomes are laughing and giggling all the time?
The gras is tickling them under their arms while they're running.

Or, as a friendly Tauren Warrior put it: "Gnomes? Aw, c'mon! They always stick to my hooves when I step onto one!"

So yes... Too small!

Edit: I just remembered >>THIS<< from way back in time! ;)
Careful! Very large image!
Last edited by Karathyriel on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I don't know, I think those arguments are steeped in racial prejudice. It's 2015, people. It's time to accept that all races -- yes, even gnomes -- can be hunters.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Equeon wrote:It's 2015, people. It's time to accept that all races -- yes, even gnomes -- can be hunters.
From a players point of view, I couldn't care less, to be honest.
But from a role players point of view, some race/class combos make me wanna cry tears of shame.

Forsaken Hunter is the most ridicoulous combo for me. Walking corpses with loyal, living creatures? Make my brain hurt.
I learned to live with Tauren Paladins because they are Sunwalkers, not Paladins.
Orc Warlocks are also a combo I can't get myself to like, just because of the orcs past.
Gnome and Goblin Hunters make me squint in a little pain but then, after all, everyone needs to eat and get leather and stuff.
Death Knights should all be humans, maybe Forsaken for he horde. Everything else is a big nono for me.
Oh, and I would absolutely rage at Tauren Rogues. ;)
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

BM artifact is from MIMIRON and last time I check Mimiron is a mechagnome or something, so Gnome hunters are not far-fetched at all!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Gnomes were responsible for inventing guns, targeting scopes, night vision goggles... A goblin-invented gun would be more likely to take its owner's arm off instead of hitting the target.

Given that they're actually reducing the focus on pets a little (remember Marks? Anyone?) it makes perfect sense. Besides, I know a lot of scientifically minded people.... engineers, chemists, so forth, and they ALL value their pets highly.

The remaining 'missing classes' are, basically, entirely focused on what amounts to religious reasons... Forsaken can't be paladins because they are disconnected from the Light. Goblins can't be druids because they would rather wreck nature than be one with it. The only thing holding tauren and draenei back from being rogues is the fact that no one has invented rubber horseshoes yet. Hunter is like warrior... it is at its core a really -basic- sort of class. As a previous poster said, everyone needs to eat, and you need leather for all those gyrocopter and chopper seats. 'Gnome sniper' is even represented in game already.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

If Gnomes can't get a mecha pet, please let them have BEAVER(riverbeast) pet. Beavers are like gnomes; cute and industrious!
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

I would like to point out that the 'too small' argument is also pretty weak when looking at other classes Gnomes can be.....The Warlock. Last I checked, those Perma-Doomguards are bigger then Devilsaurs, if not equally sized. If a Gnome can summon a gigantic, hulking demon from the Nether and keep it permanently under control, I don't see why they can't tame a big, ol' Devilsaur.

If this is real, I'm glad for those who wanted it. I myself probably won't roll one...cause...Horde. ;}

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Hah, nevermind doomguards. What about abyssals/infernals? An abyssal put a giant hole in an AIRSHIP.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Ridiculousness is just part of the gnome shtick imo. A gnome hunter is no more ridiculous than a gnome warrior swinging those teeny axes and somehow doing the same damage as a super-muscled orc or tauren.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yayyyyy! I'm so happy it's finally happening! I have a feeling the robo-chicken is just a placeholder, or maybe it is a hint of things to come!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Oona

Unread post by Oona »

Bendak wrote:Yes!!!

As for the mechanical pets... he might just be having a bit of fun until they decide their starting pet. Though it would be hilarious if it actually was.
At last! No longer needs to get to Toshley Station and step into the transporter to play a Gnome hunter!

And as for the "too small argument,Gnome Warlocks have been controlling humongous demons for year with no problems...the Wilfred's incident at the Grand Tournament notwithstanding of course.

And if the robot chicken is not just a place holder,I would be delighted if they create a new type of tame able family,Mechano Beasts.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I personally don't like the idea of gnome hunters (and I totally get the RP Bhando raises) but from a player point of view I have nothing against others using them. I do think we are getting to the point where race/class difference are getting abit too broad. I kinda liked how certain races were affilated with certain abilities/class mechanics and it's becoming abit of a free for all...just my opinion however.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Castile wrote:I personally don't like the idea of gnome hunters (and I totally get the RP Bhando raises) but from a player point of view I have nothing against others using them. I do think we are getting to the point where race/class difference are getting abit too broad. I kinda liked how certain races were affilated with certain abilities/class mechanics and it's becoming abit of a free for all...just my opinion however.
Those types of restrictions make sense for some classes (pally, warlock, DH, etc) but hunters? really? Considering how many gnomes we see in game with rifles, there's no reason not to have them. Hunters should be ubiquitous like warriors.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Slickrock wrote:Hunters should be ubiquitous like warriors.
They are now.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Bhando wrote:
They are now.
Good. :D

That's the way it should be, really. There's no magic, holy, or demonic powers to be conquered that would justify restricting the hunter class from any races.
Just picking up a bow or a gun and developing a bond with an animal. (And now that's not even necessary, so you can play as the classic gnome sniper now!)
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Equeon wrote:
Bhando wrote:
They are now.
Good. :D

That's the way it should be, really. There's no magic, holy, or demonic powers to be conquered that would justify restricting the hunter class from any races.
Just picking up a bow or a gun and developing a bond with an animal. (And now that's not even necessary, so you can play as the classic gnome sniper now!)
I have to rant about this.
Lore is what restricted the class to the races. BEs didn't have a Warrior class till Cata. I'm not sure why Undead can be Hunters when you can find Undead in-game that talk about how living animals won't go near them (not sure why hoomans didn't start with Hunter as a class, guess it was the max 6 classes nilla had and Hunter just couldn't be fit in). But I guess it doesn't matter anymore as Blizzard has murdered the lore time and time again to satisfy the "it's too hard, make everything the same" generation that plague the forums (to clarify I said the forums not these forums). I mean really Taurens were given Pally and Priest only because they had the fewest classes of any Horde race, they made up that worship the light crap for them on the fly, they only worshiped nature/ancestors before Cata. But Undead who already had Priests were given Hunter because they already had the other classes and couldn't be given Pally because Taurens were getting it cuz you know Loken forbid the classes have well established lore behind them and make sense. They could have left Taurens as is and given Undead Pally, but no they had to even out the races to make the babies happy. Yes I am one of those people who miss the TBC Hunter pet mechanics, WotLK was ok they still had unique abilities, but Cata started the decline to the auto-matic-buff-bots they are now, along with the dumbing down of classes (not joking they got rid of ArP because "it was too hard to figure out" and got rid of pet talent tress because "people didn't even know pets had a talent tree") all because the cry babies wanted everything easier and the same.
End rant.

Personally I don't care if Gnomes get Hunter as Gobs have Hunter as they are just green Gnomes with better racials. :mrgreen:

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Slickrock wrote:
Castile wrote:I personally don't like the idea of gnome hunters (and I totally get the RP Bhando raises) but from a player point of view I have nothing against others using them. I do think we are getting to the point where race/class difference are getting abit too broad. I kinda liked how certain races were affilated with certain abilities/class mechanics and it's becoming abit of a free for all...just my opinion however.
Those types of restrictions make sense for some classes (pally, warlock, DH, etc) but hunters? really? Considering how many gnomes we see in game with rifles, there's no reason not to have them. Hunters should be ubiquitous like warriors.
I never said hunters should be restricted from gnomes...I just said things are getting abit broad overall. I even said in my comment that I don't care if other people want to play them... :roll:
Rawr wrote: Lore is what restricted the class to the races.....along with the dumbing down of classes (not joking they got rid of ArP because "it was too hard to figure out" and got rid of pet talent trees because "people didn't even know pets had a talent tree") all because the cry babies wanted everything easier and the same.[/
This was kinda my point. I won't quote your whole rant Rawr but I agree with most of it. The only difference is I liked how they made lore for the Tauren Paladin's but everything else was kinda "here have this class" without much thought into it. Undead hunters are especially one class this is guilty of. Why would something that hates the living want a pet!? (unless it was diseased or undead)...one of the reasons I played wow to begin with was the complicated talent tree's and restrictiveness of the class/race system.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Actually, my guess with Undead hunters is that they really, really wanted to allow them because of characters like Sylvanas, and the pet was more an unavoidable extra. Then again, not all undead must hate the living. There is that guy in Undercity with all his pet cockroaches! ;)

However it does remind me of this brilliant old comic (from Vanilla days, I think):

Attachments
comic-2006-09-darden-large.jpg
comic-2006-09-darden-large.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.