Huolon and Nalak: two of my hardest tames yet

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
XTJ10
Realm: Velen

Huolon and Nalak: two of my hardest tames yet

Unread post by XTJ10 »

WoWScrnShot_070823_144241.jpg
WoWScrnShot_070823_144241.jpg (756.59 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
name some of your hardest tames in the comments!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Huolon and Nalak: two of my hardest tames yet

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I like this topic. Gets me remembering things. My hardest tames would have to be Guardian of the Elders, Ivory Cloud Serpent, and Old Ardeite. No pictures right now since I'm not online to screenshot them, so this is a "dude trust me" kind of post as a result.

- Guardian of the Elders: Back when it was discovered that special NPCs kept their names when tamed, such as rares and important quest NPCs, I did the crazy task of grinding a neutral panda up to 65 (at the time) to unlock Exotic Beasts and check if this beast kept its name. At first, it didn't, so I left my panda there to check every so often. A good while later, it began to keep its name. Thing is, someone later discovered Zhao-ren kept its name too, and my neutral panda was already past that quest (literally the quest before the Guardian, OOF). So, I leveled a new panda to tame both. At this point, the level squish happened and Exotic beasts required level 35 (significantly higher, percentage-wise). So, I did the grind again, following in Doubleagent's footsteps by mining and herbing everything in a path I was comfortable with while also abusing account-wide pet battle quest turn-ins to get free exp. Eventually, I became the only hunter that leveled a neutral panda hunter up to tame a very uniquely named quilen. Then my hard work was made null and void because Blizzard dropped the level for exotic beasts to 10. Oh well, I still did it when it was hard. Twice, even. I have the right to be smug about that.
- Ivory Cloud Serpent: When the Sliver of N'zoth was introduced, it was quickly found that we could tame friendly NPCs with it in specific locations. I was on a low-pop server at the time, and my shards were often fairly empty, so I decided to try my hand at taming this white noodle. Had a few scares at times, but I managed to tame it twice so I could ride the matching mount and look stylish. Now that the sliver is nearly impossible to get due to a bug preventing the item from being made available (is it still bugged, I wonder), I kind of have a soft legacy tame. Doubly so because it is still named "Serpent" from when Cloud Serpents were oddly put in the serpent family. When they were moved to lesser dragonkin, the white noodles (as well as all of my other cloud serpents at the time) kept the serpent's bite ability in addition to the claw ability. Neat little thing nobody will ever actually see in content, of course.
- Old Ardeite: This one was only tameable at the start of Shadowlands. Because of its position as a quest NPC, and the fact that taming it broke the quest temporarily, Blizzard patched out its ability to be tamed. Kept mine though, and it even has the name.

Regarding Nalak and Huolon; they really were a pain to tame. Did you use Chromie Time for both of them, or were you crazy enough to do it in the normal timeline? I took the easy route and did Chromie time for mine.
XTJ10
Realm: Velen

Unread post by XTJ10 »

i just went at night
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Lucky. Every time I went to them, there's always at least one other person. Congrats on doing it the right way without resorting to cheap tricks!