10.2 Guardians of the Dream: Beasts Thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

10.2 Guardians of the Dream: Beasts Thread

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Edit: This is now a summary of everything we've found on the PTR for patch 10.2. To view all new tameable models and additional information, check out Petopia's homepage and click on the Guardians of the Dream banner.

Lesser Dragonkin
- There is now an updated model for the Faerie Dragon, found only (currently) in the Emerald Dream. Very smooth and amphibious in design.
Bear
- Bristlebruins, bears with leaves and flowers that match the seasons, are now available. The white wintry look is not available...yet?
- Something thorny... see below.
Birds of Prey
- Introducing the majestic somnowls, owls with incredible customization. Antlers, ears, eyebrows, tail lengths, colors, and so on. Sadly, only a few combinations are tameable, but they have so many possible options. Far too many, really.
- Those old fiery kaliri models from Warlords of Draenor finally make their tameable debut in the Emerald Dream.
Cats
- That's no druid form; dreamsabers are tameable cats wearing bramble armor! They come in four looks, but only one is not available...yet?
Crabs
- The updated diamond skin added so long ago has found a home in the Emerald Dream. This was the last unused crab skin without a shell!
Feathermanes
- If you're a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, then surely you know of the owlbear. Well, to go along with World of Warcraft's owlcats, we finally have owlbears in the umbraclaws!
Raptors
- We've had dinosaurs. We've had birds. Now, we have... cats? Dreamtalons are a wildly unique type of raptor, mixing in a little bit of tiger, and coming in some wild color combinations.
Rodents
- The newest addition to "critters we can tame" is a skunk! There's only one right now, and it's a rare, but hopefully this won't be the only one.
Serpents
- The rock cobras of Zaralek Cavern make a return with a surprise; their bodies can come in MANY variations similar to other lava creatures! One new cobra has been discovered, using yellow flames, an orange glow, and purple particles.
Spirit Beasts
- We've been spoiled this time; there's the flaming somnowl Nah'qi and the loa Kimbul's own daughter, Sul'raka! Neither are rare spawns, and their locations and tricky tame methods have been discovered rather quickly.
Stags
- Dreamstags are the newest addition to the stag family, bringing a few antler and skin variations.

Thorn Beasts
- You wanted them in Battle For Azeroth. You wanted them for years. Now, you can finally have some! Coming in three variants, those being bear, cat, and stag, you can now have your own Drust beasts. They have a wild requirement to tame however. Aroim and Wain have figured out the puzzle;
1) Kill Bristlebruins, Dreamsabers, or Dreamstags in the Emerald Dream until you get a Thorn-Laden Heart. There's one for each type, and they're unique.
1b) Use the map linked here to go to a spot where there are plentiful spawns of all three beast types in close proximity.
2) Take the heart(s) to Drustvar in Kul'tiras, and find Athainne. You will get a Moontouched Thorns item for each of your hearts, corresponding to their type.
--Note: Athainne's spawn is, as we currently know, tied to realm time. She appears at 7pm realm time, and disappears at 10pm. Further information is being investigated.
3) Take the thorns to Ulfar in his den, and talk about "I have seen some animals..." to reveal a new dialogue option, giving you a Thornspeaker Ritual Knife that matches the animal.
4) Seek out a unique NPC; Argyr, Liliuna, and Astera. They will resemble a Bristlebruin, Dreamsaber, or Dreamstag, respectively. Kill them, and use the dagger to spawn the Thornborn variant.
4b) Note that the color of the NPC will determine the color of the spawned tameable Thornborn variant. See the entries on Petopia for the colors that spawn.

The old first post:
So, the first teaser dropped for the upcoming 10.2 patch. You can watch it here on the official World of Warcraft channel. We're a few days off from getting to play it ourselves as of this post, but from the trailer, the following new beasts were seen;

- Stags with glowing green eyes and antlers made of wood, with the antlers coming in multiple variants
- Horned (antlered) owls with glorious racks, which also appear to possibly be a new druid flight form glyph and (possibly dragonriding?) mount
- Possibly a tameable version of the Ursoc skin (at least the orange variant) from the Emerald Nightmare raid
- Potentially new bears, or maybe owl bears considering the PvP equipment they wear.
- Press Release: Raptor lynx cat... things.
- Bear with flowers in its mane.
- Concept Art: Stag with unique antlers and glowing hooves.
- Concept Art: Brown sprite darter with green wings, pink-bellied sprite darter with evening-colored wings.

In similar animal collection news;
- Armored stag mount(s?) from renown
- Large antlered owl mount from unknown source
- Color variants for the Netherwing Drake dragonriding mount
- Sprite Darter dragonriding mount
- Bear PvP mounts

And of course, some things we can expect to likely never have;
- A flaming serpent with a cool hood that's only got a buried model (raid boss)

Returning beasts that were shown;
- Ghostly green moths (likely not new models, but I included a screenshot anyway)
- Lava rays
- Magmammoths
- Ohn'ara eagles
- Ducks
- Vorquin (dark brown color, possibly new?)

When the ptr goes live, let's do our best to try and make sure the devs hear that we want to tame ALL THE THINGS! Get those voices heard, but don't be annoying about it!

Press Release images:
[url=https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/11 ... eam-Reveal]Press Release Images[/img]
Attachments
Beasts-Of-the-Dream.png
Beasts-Of-the-Dream.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 93382 times
Last edited by WerebearGuy on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: 10.2 Guardians of the Dream: Beasts Thread

Unread post by Jangalian »

I'm still desperately holding out hope for the red vulpin model! I'm hoping they slide one of these beauties in to tame at last....

( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

Hopefully new pets, really, a fire kitten for example...
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

PTR can be downloaded, but as expected, it's not available for testing yet.

@Tsukina
Agreed, I hope we can get the fire cat form as a pet. I don't use it on my druids because I love the tiger artifact skin too much, so it'd be nice to have a flame cat somewhere. Also, where is that skunk image from? I desperately want to pet the skunk.
EDIT: Nevermind, I always forget to check MMO-Champion.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Is it a raptor? Is it a cat? No, it's...what the hell is that thing? I hate it and love it at the same time.
what-the-hell.png
what-the-hell.png (1002.6 KiB) Viewed 93336 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Some nice ingame closeups of a potentially new bear and one of the many stag variants. The stags use the same animations as the vorquin, at least as far as I could tell in the video.
WoW_Dragonflight_10.2_Emerald_Dream_Friendly_NPCs_020.jpg
WoW_Dragonflight_10.2_Emerald_Dream_Friendly_NPCs_020.jpg (910.88 KiB) Viewed 93334 times
WoW_Dragonflight_10.2_Emerald_Dream_Friendly_NPCs_019.jpg
WoW_Dragonflight_10.2_Emerald_Dream_Friendly_NPCs_019.jpg (974.32 KiB) Viewed 93334 times
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Owlbears you say!?
Of course I'm loving the owls I love birds. Just trying to spot stuff that's ferocity.

That armored bear pvp mount. It's not a bear.
It's an owlbear. At least i'm pretty sure it is. I'm judging it by the eyes being different than any other bear type.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Yeah, a very high chance of an owlbear. Especially with one of the battle pet models on mmo champion showing a baby owlbear. While they will likely be bears, part of me is hoping they'll be carrion birds purely so we can provide hysteria with a bear model.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

All those beasts look amazing, especially excited for the new big fey dragon, looks even better than the Feywing, hopefully they’ll be mine to tame, the other beasts look amazing, especially the bears and the cat raptors, I predicted the bears would look like that, half plant with flowers, half bear, the stags and owls also look phenomenal, if there’s owlbears, I’d be able to call it a tameable moonkin, and we need more half owl stuff
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

The fire cats have a new model, look at the way it walks in the picture and the high rez flames, and the weird beasts are indeed raptor cats, here’s a baby
IMG_2989.jpeg
IMG_2989.jpeg (660.4 KiB) Viewed 93249 times
IMG_2990.png
IMG_2990.png (4.8 MiB) Viewed 93249 times
Zetsoban

Unread post by Zetsoban »

I just read the patch notes, didn't see anything about swapping pet specializations :(
I hope they're adding it soon, since the whole pet recognizability in pvp argument is bogus. A lot of silhouettes/skeletons are shared across families and specializations. This will gain more ground if the cat raptor is added to the Cat family.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:02 pm Yeah, a very high chance of an owlbear. Especially with one of the battle pet models on mmo champion showing a baby owlbear. While they will likely be bears, part of me is hoping they'll be carrion birds purely so we can provide hysteria with a bear model.
God please! I'd actually be able to use one then. Also I freaking love owlbears as a concept.
Something i'm actually confused about and this kinda comes down to lore now.
Are the faerie dragons a different kind of dragon that count as "True" dragons. Since they only consider the 4 legged ones as true dragons (hatchery daily completion lore) Or they at least dont consider Wylderdrakes as real dragons, and I'm pretty sure they consider slitherdrakes animals.
Yet we can tame fairiedragons. So, how's that work?
Zetsoban wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:20 pm I just read the patch notes, didn't see anything about swapping pet specializations :(
I hope they're adding it soon, since the whole pet recognizability in pvp argument is bogus. A lot of silhouettes/skeletons are shared across families and specializations. This will gain more ground if the cat raptor is added to the Cat family.
Probably not something they'd add on a patch. That's an expansion feature that is.
I think they'd double down on it since that's what they said about observers for warlocks to. But shrug. Is what it is. You can always just have the crap pet as your secondary.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

The antlered owls are called "Somnowl", and are a bird of prey. They do NOT fly; they run along the ground.
The stags don't seem to have a common name, but are stags. They come in yellow and green with two different antler types; large and short.
New woody cats, "Dreamsaber". They come in purple, light blue, and green.
WoWScrnShot_090723_183930.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_183930.jpg (435.98 KiB) Viewed 93163 times
WoWScrnShot_090723_183943.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_183943.jpg (460.54 KiB) Viewed 93163 times
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_090723_184100.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_184100.jpg (457 KiB) Viewed 93163 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

"Bristlebruin" are the leafy bears. Autumn brown and leafy green only, it seems.
There are owlbears, and they're feathermanes. Only found blue ones so far.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_090723_184536.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_184536.jpg (466.77 KiB) Viewed 93160 times
WoWScrnShot_090723_184810.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_184810.jpg (293.9 KiB) Viewed 93160 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

The weird cat lynxes are "Dreamtalon", and are raptors. They come in blue, green with red stripes, and white. Maybe more colors.
Found some black "Umbraclaw" mobs too. A nice black, for sure.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_090723_184944.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_184944.jpg (436.08 KiB) Viewed 93158 times
WoWScrnShot_090723_185212.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_185212.jpg (592.95 KiB) Viewed 93158 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:42 pm The antlered owls are called "Somnowl", and are a bird of prey. They do NOT fly; they run along the ground.
The stags don't seem to have a common name, but are stags. They come in yellow and green with two different antler types; large and short.
New woody cats, "Dreamsaber". They come in purple, light blue, and green.

WoWScrnShot_090723_183930.jpgWoWScrnShot_090723_183943.jpg
That tiger looks awesome, along with the other things you tested, hopefully we’ll get to see a close up shot with the cat raptors and if there are new fey dragons, do those too
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Not tameable (yet?), but found some fish that use the store mount's rig. Blizzard, please!
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_090723_185656.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_185656.jpg (387.61 KiB) Viewed 93147 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Tameable fire kaliri! Also non-fiery version!
WoWScrnShot_090723_190040.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_190040.jpg (377.16 KiB) Viewed 93144 times
WoWScrnShot_090723_191023.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_191023.jpg (438.04 KiB) Viewed 93133 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:00 pm Tameable fire kaliri! Also non-fiery version!
WoWScrnShot_090723_190040.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090723_191023.jpg
Coolest kaliri colors are officially added, not going to tame one, but they’re amazing to interact with