Spider Starter Pet Now for Undead Hunters?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Spider Starter Pet Now for Undead Hunters?

Unread post by Arwyn »

I''m watchin Total Halibut's vid on the revamped Forsaken Starter Zone Quests and his hunter is running around with a black widow spider and not a bat. So is this going to to be the official starter pet for the Forsaken now?
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Re: Spider Starter Pet Now for Undead Hunters?

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

God I hope not. I would love to roll an undead hunter, but if I was forced to use a spider for ten levels I think I'd die.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Good thing you're already dead then?

This was spotted a while ago and has been confirmed several times. Yep, it's a black widow.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Is sad. Aw well it'll just be around to level 10.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

The Spider is a better choice I think. Not only will it be more useful for leveling, flying pets are notoriously annoying and being saddled with one for 10 levels could be more than intolerable.
Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Bellatryx »

Yeah.. spider might be better than bat.. just think of it when you're running around..

*flap flap flap..flap.. flap flap flap*

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Personally I'd rather have the spider for 10 levels then the bat. I'd think the bat would get annoying after a while. But that's just me. :)

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

TobiasX
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by TobiasX »

It's worth keeping in mind that for the first 10 levels of your hunter your pet won't actually be < *name*'s Pet > but < *name*'s Companion >. You will have no control over your pet until you reach level 10, it will be a helper that follows you around on defensive. Once you reach level 10 you will gain it as a pet and the spells to tame any replacement you would like.

If I had a choice of any pet I would probably have gone for one of the infected wolves as they seem appropriately undead to be a forsaken hunter pet but a spider of bat would be a nice second choice.
Sorcha Ravenlock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Sorcha Ravenlock »

eeep... all those poor people with anachnophobia (sp?) who wre planning on rolling a Forsaken hunter :(
Ten levels of "eeeek! it's following me, make it stop, make it stop! Why does it keep following me! aargh, the legs, no not the spindly legs!"

I thought it was smart of blizz not to start anyone out with a spider since it's such a known phobia, they must have changed their minds.

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Sorcha Ravenlock wrote:eeep... all those poor people with anachnophobia (sp?) who wre planning on rolling a Forsaken hunter :(
I must admit I've stayed away from spider pets for precisely that reason. Fortunately for me, I wasn't planning on rolling an undead hunter!
Nakari
Realm: EU-Destromath

Unread post by Nakari »

Sorcha Ravenlock wrote:eeep... all those poor people with anachnophobia (sp?) who wre planning on rolling a Forsaken hunter :(
Ten levels of "eeeek! it's following me, make it stop, make it stop! Why does it keep following me! aargh, the legs, no not the spindly legs!"

I thought it was smart of blizz not to start anyone out with a spider since it's such a known phobia, they must have changed their minds.
People with arachnophobie should stay the hell away from the forsaken starting zone either way, if a spider pet following you around bothers you, I don't think you'll be thrilled to clear out a mine full of even bigger (an much less friendly) spiders.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Sorcha Ravenlock wrote: I thought it was smart of blizz not to start anyone out with a spider since it's such a known phobia, they must have changed their minds.
Given the sheer amount of Spiders in the game, I really don't think arachnophobia registers in the development agenda. Besides, Spiders are awesome and Forsaken Hunters should be thankful to Blizzard for giving them the chance to experience such a wonderful pet!
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Nakari wrote:

People with arachnophobie should stay the hell away from the forsaken starting zone either way, if a spider pet following you around bothers you, I don't think you'll be thrilled to clear out a mine full of even bigger (an much less friendly) spiders.
GUH. This. And this new development disappoints me so, so much.

I don't mind killing spiders. They are dead and I can move away from them quickly. Which is fortunate, because there's a lot of spider-killing in the game.

But a widow following me around for 10 levels? No. Freakin. Way. I had enough trouble as it was when I rolled my NE hunter and had to temporarily tame a spider for her level 10 hunter quests. The little bastard followed me around and his legs were twitchy and UUUUUUGH.

But I want an undead hunter! I was SO psyched to learn there could be undead hunters! I really, really, REALLY hope there is a way to dismiss your intro pet or something. I'd rather level solo for 10 levels then have to have a hairy eight-legged horror trailing around me X_X I suppose I could sic it on something and let it die, then run for it, but I'd feel cruel doing that even if it is a spider...GAAAAAGH.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Sorcha Ravenlock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Sorcha Ravenlock »

VelkynKarma wrote:

I don't mind killing spiders. They are dead and I can move away from them quickly. Which is fortunate, because there's a lot of spider-killing in the game.

But a widow following me around for 10 levels? No. Freakin. Way. I had enough trouble as it was when I rolled my NE hunter and had to temporarily tame a spider for her level 10 hunter quests. The little bastard followed me around and his legs were twitchy and UUUUUUGH.

But I want an undead hunter! I was SO psyched to learn there could be undead hunters! I really, really, REALLY hope there is a way to dismiss your intro pet or something. I'd rather level solo for 10 levels then have to have a hairy eight-legged horror trailing around me X_X I suppose I could sic it on something and let it die, then run for it, but I'd feel cruel doing that even if it is a spider...GAAAAAGH.

~VelkynKarma
:hug:

I have the same with butterflies, for some reason they freak me out, both in game and IRL. I can kill them fine, but hate having them following me, even temporarily (and I've tried). It's irrational, but there it is.
Luckily a draenei hunter never clicked with me (my latest got rerolled as a Nelf) so it won't be a problem.

Hopefully you can dismiss it, or simply tell it to stay so you can run away and have it de-spawn.

Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Sorcha Ravenlock wrote:
VelkynKarma wrote:

~VelkynKarma
:hug:

I have the same with butterflies, for some reason they freak me out, both in game and IRL. I can kill them fine, but hate having them following me, even temporarily (and I've tried). It's irrational, but there it is.
Luckily a draenei hunter never clicked with me (my latest got rerolled as a Nelf) so it won't be a problem.

Hopefully you can dismiss it, or simply tell it to stay so you can run away and have it de-spawn.
Pretty sure there is call/dismiss.

But.. butterflies? Thats pretty interesting. Spiders IRL freak me out as well and kind of in game as well when they sneak up on you, or the little critters. Sadly a spider in my house just had babies so every once in a while i find a itty bitty cobweb spider wandering about. I try not to kill them because they are harmless.. just.. creepy and stealthy.

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Spiders are friends!

Seriously, they eat a lot of other pesky insects, so they're great to have in your home (species depending of course). I always rescue spiders that I find in precarious positions around the house and yard.

My parents recently tore down their shed to replace it with a new one and in the demolition process we found that one of the beams was home to a spider nest and there were lots of babies along with the mother as well as some other adults. I picked up this beam structure and moved it rather carefully to the back of the yard where I hoped they'd migrate to a new shelter (I put them near some options). The mother wasn't happy about this intrusion and she kept moving for my hand so I was continually rotating the beam around as I carried it; she didn't look like the sort of spider I'd really want to bite me.

Spiders are a very beneficial species. So, um, back on topic, good for the Forsaken and their appreciation for Spider Power! >8<
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Spiders IRL bother me a bit, but having a pet spider in game is okay. :) Of course, I make a VERY SPECIFIC POINT of taming tarantula models, cause I don't have an issue with them IRL either....but still. I think it helps that they tend to be brightly colored and much larger than your typical RL spider.

I know that's just personal experience and I'm not saying that anyone with a fear of spiders will necessarily be able to get used to having one as a pet, but it can't hurt to offer consolation, right? That you wouldn't want your spider to die is the first step in accepting him/her, even as a temporary buddy, for 10 levels. Can always attach a personality to them, like this spider was with you when you were awakened, so this is your first companion in your new life as an undead....not too far off from the reality of it, but it's a question of characterization.

(Can always think of her as Charlotte; she was an articulate little spider.)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Kalliope wrote:Spiders IRL bother me a bit, but having a pet spider in game is okay. :) Of course, I make a VERY SPECIFIC POINT of taming tarantula models, cause I don't have an issue with them IRL either....but still. I think it helps that they tend to be brightly colored and much larger than your typical RL spider.

I know that's just personal experience and I'm not saying that anyone with a fear of spiders will necessarily be able to get used to having one as a pet, but it can't hurt to offer consolation, right? That you wouldn't want your spider to die is the first step in accepting him/her, even as a temporary buddy, for 10 levels. Can always attach a personality to them, like this spider was with you when you were awakened, so this is your first companion in your new life as an undead....not too far off from the reality of it, but it's a question of characterization.

(Can always think of her as Charlotte; she was an articulate little spider.)
Its not all spiders for me.. just the ones that could kill you or harm you badly that scare me.

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

lovcat wrote:
Sorcha Ravenlock wrote:Hopefully you can dismiss it, or simply tell it to stay so you can run away and have it de-spawn.
Pretty sure there is call/dismiss.
On the PTR your starter pet is almost completely out of your control. It follows you around and acts as if on Defensive and autocasts whatever abilities it has. Your only pet control abilities are Call Pet and Revive pet.

The other night when I was testing, the "Abandon" option was on the menu, but it didn't do anything (fortunately).

It took a lot of trying to actually get my pet killed (self-healing baddie required), but once dead it does stay dead until you Revive Pet. Given that typically either you or your pet can solo mobs, it might be viable to play without your companion spider for the first 10 levels if you so choose.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I'd prefer an undead eagle. That way they could make it possible for only undead to have. Unfortunately, they're flyers.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=29894#modelviewer