Stabled pet talent wipe.

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Stabled pet talent wipe.

Unread post by Xota »

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is there an addon yet that will cache your pets' talents before you stable them and retrain them when you put them in one of your active slots? It seems like kind of a nuisance to wipe pet talents, but one that should be easily worked around.
Sekhmet
Realm: Bronzebeard

Re: Stabled pet talent wipe.

Unread post by Sekhmet »

At current, I know of no such addon. I have an easy time remembering my pets' talents because they're all the same. But I certainly understand the plight of having to respec pets everytime you bring them outta the stable.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I also tend to use the exact same talent build for each of the 3 trees, and I've got them memorized so I can spec them in no time at all. It'll be a minor nuisance I suppose, having to respec your pets, but I can't see it as anything more than a quick delay while you pop in the talents. Once you know the spec by heart it'll be easy to throw it together when you need to.
Lohuran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sentinels (RP)

Unread post by Lohuran »

My stabled pets' talents weren't wiped in the PTR. D:
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Honestly, in the future I can see Blizzard doing away with the whole talent-wipe on Stable if enough people complain. x) It seems like such a needless feature, just a minor hassle that doesn't really have much purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they decided to remove that aspect.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Lohuran wrote:My stabled pets' talents weren't wiped in the PTR. D:
Mine were. That would either be a bug or you're mistaken. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Someone remind me about this in a week or so, and I'll see if I can hack up an add-on for this too. It should be fairly easy I think.
Sharilar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Sharilar »

I don't know if it's a bug, but I have yet to have a stabled pet lose it's spec, and I've done a bit of swapping around yesterday and today. Maybe that didn't make it live?
Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

Sharilar wrote:I don't know if it's a bug, but I have yet to have a stabled pet lose it's spec, and I've done a bit of swapping around yesterday and today. Maybe that didn't make it live?
No, it definitely made it into live. I've been messing around with my stables a lot and I've had my talents wiped. But to be honest, Im not sure what the criteria is for it, because sometimes the talents will remain the same. It seems really buggy now.

To be honest I hope they take this out, just because it is just an inconvenience. Either that or I will use an addon if one is made to remember them. :) Either way I'm happy since I have so many pets now!
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
oedura

Unread post by oedura »

Vephriel wrote:Honestly, in the future I can see Blizzard doing away with the whole talent-wipe on Stable if enough people complain.
At the very least, it would be nice if they could implement a "default talents" device that you could set for each tree that all of your pets from each particular tree would automatically learn when you take them out of the stable to use them.

I use the same talents all of time, anyway.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I haven't encountered the pet talent wipe yet, despite juggling pets in and out of the stable. *ponder*
Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Note that the stabled pet talent spec wipe is almost certainly there specifically to save space in the WoW character storage back end.

Since the start of Wrath, Blizz already had a certain amount of storage allotted for hunter pets - enough to hold the pet name, kind (i.e. family and skin) and 2x talent spec for up to 5 pets per hunter.

When they went to expand the stables for Cataclysm, they would have known how much database storage they were prepared to dedicate to stabled pets (the previous "stable space" now being used for the additional 4 active pets we can have). With that much storage space, they could either store X fully defined pets (with their talent specs intact) or drop the talent specs and use the additional space for Y more pets, given more pet slots for the same amount of database usage.

The pet spec likely needs quite a bit more storage space than the name and kind information, so if Blizzard had gone for option A (keeping talent specs for stabled pets) we likely would have received something fairly limited, like 5 new slots. Personally, I'm happy that they opted for the additional stable slots over retaining the talent specs.

(As for whether or not pet talents get wiped - it wouldn't surprise me if Blizz set it up so they only wipe them when they need to cut down on the total amount of storage space used for the pets, so if you only have something like 10 pets total at the moment, the wipes may not trigger. That's just a guess though)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Nimizar wrote:(As for whether or not pet talents get wiped - it wouldn't surprise me if Blizz set it up so they only wipe them when they need to cut down on the total amount of storage space used for the pets, so if you only have something like 10 pets total at the moment, the wipes may not trigger. That's just a guess though)
If they did, that number isn't 10. Ursa's kept his spec before and I have well over 10 pets. I hadn't respecced in the meantime, but that's never been a guarantee.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sekhmet
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Sekhmet »

I was running around the Barrens, working on Loremaster with my hyena, Blister. When we did ICC last night, I replaced him with my trusty OCJ, ArcAngel. His talents weren't wiped. So, I checked my other 6 pets, newly stabled hyena included. None of those pets had their talents wiped either. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but I'm grateful.