Targeting irregularity

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Targeting irregularity

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Since patch 4, I've been noticing that I very (too) often "auto-target" another mob just as I kill one.

I thought it was just me, but I came across another thread on Allakhazam, and it seems that others are also finding this.

It's sort of along the lines of: if you have a spell to cast and your mob dies before the spell is through casting, instead of getting an error message about a dead mob, it will auto-target the next nearest living mob (if there is one), then drop the spell you were casting and begin to auto-attack THAT mob.

This is very frustrating as a Hunter, since your auto-attack is a good solid ranged attack! Meaning, the mob can be QUITE far.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

datgrl
Realm: Alexstrasza

Re: Targeting irregularity

Unread post by datgrl »

I'm so glad you posted this. I have been trying to find other info about this and I missed the thread you mentioned on allakazam. I have looked all over the Interface menu in game to see if there is a way to turn this off. I did uncheck 'auto-target' but it does not seem to have helped. Is there anything else I can try? I don't want to be on a run or raid and have this auto-target thing happen. I've slowed down my shots just to be sure that I don't do exactly what you describe. So, I'm not hitting as much and not stacking, either.

Kim
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Yeah, that bug has returned. We were struggling with it in early Wrath (I always hovered my finger over escape at the end of trash pulls just in case, but man! The number of accidental pulls the hunters in my raid were "responsible" for was crazy!) and I'm very, very sad that it's back. Only consolation is that we now overpower pretty much anything in the game (for now) so it rarely results in a wipe. >.>

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

Hmm, there is an option (interface > combat, I think) that turns off autoshot when you change target. I don't know if that has any bearing on the bug, which sounds alarming, but it's what popped into my head. Or you might have that clicked already and it's not helping, of course.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

The Insect Man wrote:Hmm, there is an option (interface > combat, I think) that turns off autoshot when you change target. I don't know if that has any bearing on the bug, which sounds alarming, but it's what popped into my head. Or you might have that clicked already and it's not helping, of course.
That was enabled on some of my toons after the patch, but my first step after a patch is to go through the interface menu and make sure everything is as I want it. I'm still experiencing this bug. :(

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Very glad to see this bug back. It made Hunters very popular last time around, and now that it's coupled with Hunter players learning to play their class again and thus being prone to sub-optimal performance, this can only be good news for us! Better yet, it seems this bug is attached to Auto Shot? Last time I think it was pretty much tied to Steady Shot if I recall properly. So I guess in order to intervene we need to be sure to move the second our target dies?
Tygamoon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Tygamoon »

I've got it too (of course) and there also seems to be something funny going on with name plates...

A mob will be in front of me and not show a name plate but something 12 yards away and off to the side will have one. This is extremely frustrating! I've used game name plates for all my dungeon and pvp encounters because I seem to glaze over the little red names that are normally up.

Is there something in options that I'm missing that can cause it? I've looked and looked and still haven't found anything. I'd really hate to need a mod to fix it; especially something so simple as this UI element :(
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

I had the name plate issue. Downloaded a nameplate addon just to get the functionality I was used to from the Blizzard interface - that came with its own problems so I had to get rid of it. From yesterday, though nameplates seem to have been fixed. Now I have to track down the 60 honour that appears to have gone missing....

Ah patch day....
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

"Are you suffering from irregularity? Well take the Activia Fourteen Day challenge and find that your irregularity just disappears!"

*queue side effect and no promises banter.*

"Activiaaaaaaah!"

Sorry. I read irregularity and this was the FIRST thing in my mind. Seriously.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

That reference is REALLY good.

*snerk*

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

*Bows*
Kalliope

(my counter-reference, not so good >_>)

YouTube Edition

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Do you hear that? Yeah.

Whoosh.

Totally the sound of your reference going right over my head. xD Don't feel bad, I miss a lot of references.
Kalliope

It's the same ad. xD (Maybe different ones air here...)

YouTube Edition

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

/console bloattest 1

Should fix the nameplate problem.

And yeah, I've been getting this a bit; I tend to try and strafe around as a mob dies just to avoid it : /
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Acherontia wrote:/console bloattest 1

Should fix the nameplate problem.
Ah, thank you!!! That had been giving me such a headache, espeically in dungeons.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Lol np, my guildmate Tahlian found it on an EU post linked from a US post so I can't quite take credit--but enjoy :D
Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

Yep, the "shoot another target" bug is ANNOYING. If I've touched a steady shot and my target dies, I auto-target something else and attack. Drives me INSANE!

Heyyyy thanks for the nameplate fix!!