WHAT THE HECK!!

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
William099
Realm: Cenarius/Eitrigg

WHAT THE HECK!!

Unread post by William099 »

Just got done reading through the power changes on the cataclysm pets, is anybody else as upset as I am about how much weaker most of the powers are now? For crying out loud the moth power no longer heals, the Core Hound lava breath no longer does damage (since when does lava not cause damage!) and they got rid of the raptors bleed and the scorpions poison thats so dumb!!!

Of course maybe there is an upside that I am missing if anyone wants to enlighten me.
Altheaus
Realm: Lightnings blade

Re: WHAT THE HECK!!

Unread post by Altheaus »

yes there is an upside...all pets do the same base damage now... you can play with your fav pet or you can bring a missing buff/debuff to the party/raid.. how ithis not good O_o
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Instead of everyone being forced to keep a Wolf, all pet damage has been normalized, and they've been given useful buffs that bring utility to raiding and soloing. :) There's no longer that huge gap between one pet family and all the others, so as Altheaus said we have more choice in which pet to bring. ^^
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I understand why they made these changes and I support them.

But I have to admit that as a solo quester who always hunted with whatever pet I wanted anyway (at least in Wrath) I do miss the idea that scorpids poison things and core hounds blast things with lava.

*shrug* Mathematically it works out and I think that's the more important consideration here. (And graphics, but they aren't touching that so far as I know.)

I definitely understand what you're saying, though. ;)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

At least core hounds do still put a lava debuff on their prey; scorpids don't actually poison anything anymore.

Although hey, you can always look at it from the perspective of "my scorpid poisons my opponent's hand, causing him to drop his weapon!"

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the changes. :D
There's nothing quite as cool as seeing more variety in the pets hunters are using for raids/heroics now, be they bringing a certain buff/debuff or it just being their favorite pet. I LOVE that for once, spirit beasts are finally more than show pets in Dal. These changes are nothing but good progress for the hunter community. ^_^

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Araniis
Realm: Doomhammer

Unread post by Araniis »

In all honestly, I was worried that all the hunters would go right back to Cats, seeing as their buff that they give us is Horn of Winter (And seeing as we LIVE off of Agi, more of it is ALWAYS desired) and I was pleasenly surprised to see that that wasn't the case. Heck, for me and my guild, I almost NEVER bring out my Cat, simply because we nearly always have about 3 Death Knights in our raids. My first pet, my RAPTOR, is actually more desired because we nearly never have a Warrior or Offensive Druid. Same can be said for Core Hounds, another pet that people thought we were going to be seeing everywhere. It's more like 'Hey, I've got this option available to me!'

Yeah, it does kinda feel a bit weird that Scorpids don't poison things anymore (Though I'm kinda iffy with nearly ALL of the defensive pets getting PVP like abilities) but in general, we're better off now with our pets then we've ever been before. No more will we be forced to take a single pet over another just because it does the most DPS. Admittedly, this means that I'll probably NEVER use my Oil Covered wolf again other then to show him off, but I still enjoy being able to raid and what not with pets I NEVER thought would see the light of it.
Artemisia
Realm: Moonrunner/Thrall

Unread post by Artemisia »

I like the changes to the pets. I have a handful of pets that I love like the Fox, Owl, Bear and Scorpid, and now I have incentive to have them. I like that Exotics get two abilities (though I'm not a BM Hunter). This makes it possible for me to really love my Hunter where it use to be that I chose what worked best for groups and had the highest damage.
Formerly Seidouyumi
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm actually with everyone else and am happy with the changes. :3 I like me wolves but I much prefer my spirit beasts and the new buffs/debuffs. It gives us variety and less of a chance of someone to dictate what pet you can and cannot use.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Personally, after using the "new pets" for a little while, I would have been happier if they had gotten rid of ALL special pet skills. Then we would have been truly free to bring any pet we want. I've already been told to teleport out of a dungeon and go get a different pet. So, you see, nothing has truly changed. We STILL can't bring the pet WE want.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

FuzzyDolly wrote:Personally, after using the "new pets" for a little while, I would have been happier if they had gotten rid of ALL special pet skills. Then we would have been truly free to bring any pet we want. I've already been told to teleport out of a dungeon and go get a different pet. So, you see, nothing has truly changed. We STILL can't bring the pet WE want.
Really? I would've told them 'deal with it unless you're gonna pay my subscription from now on.'

LisaaraPokefarm

Malazee
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Malazee »

Anyone trying to tell you that you need to bring a certain pet for a dungeon is insane. Unless I'm trying to do an achievement that requires specific coordination, there is no situation in which I would feel obligated to bring a pet other than the one I like most, nor would I put up with someone trying to tell me to do so.

Raids are (understandably) a different story. And even so, if all the buffs your pet can do are already covered, you still have the chance to bring whatever pet you want.

Overall it's a very nice system, and at the very least, it's a major improvement over the previous system.
Last edited by Malazee on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Malazee wrote:Anyone trying to tell you that you need to bring a certain pet for a dungeon is insane. Unless you're trying to do an achievement that requires specific coordination, there is no situation in which I would feel obligated to bring a pet other than the one I like most, nor would I put up with someone trying to tell me to do so.

Raids are (understandably) a different story. And even so, if all the buffs your pet can do are already covered, you still have the chance to bring whatever pet you want.

Overall it's a very nice system, and at the very least, it's a major improvement over the previous system.
Exactly! You said it best.

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I don't want to get rid of special pet abilities. :( They make them unique. I do wish Aotona's pet family got some love though, since I <3 my birdie more than I could have imagined. It is nice that I'll be able to bring whatever I want. I just wish every other class's stuff didn't OVERWRITE mine. >_< Why can't mine override theirs? Sheesh.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

Honestly, as a priest, I HATE that pet buffs seem to override fort (at least the lock's imp does, dunno about a silithid because I haven't been grouped).

To me, aura-based buffs should not overwrite casted ones. We were doing throne of the four winds, and for those that don't know, the raid is split up between three platforms, so I'd buff... then the lock would get his imp out, and everyone would lose fort. Then we'd split, and 2/3rds of the raid didn't have fort anymore. :(

Malazee
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Malazee »

As I priest, I hate that as well... that's why I berated all of our regular warlocks until they learned to turn their imps' blood pact off. ^_^
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

ummeiko wrote:Honestly, as a priest, I HATE that pet buffs seem to override fort (at least the lock's imp does, dunno about a silithid because I haven't been grouped).

To me, aura-based buffs should not overwrite casted ones. We were doing throne of the four winds, and for those that don't know, the raid is split up between three platforms, so I'd buff... then the lock would get his imp out, and everyone would lose fort. Then we'd split, and 2/3rds of the raid didn't have fort anymore. :(
This is when you tell the lock to either use a different pet or turn off fort. >_< Cause yeah, they can do that.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

The only thing that really bothers me is that my Devilsaur no longer gets huge. Bringing a buff or function to a group is more important to me than upping my personal dps 5%.
William099
Realm: Cenarius/Eitrigg

Unread post by William099 »

Hmmm thats all really interesting okay glad its not quite as bad as I thought. Devilsaurs no longer get huge? I was just outside Stormwind today and saw a devilsaur shrinking from huge back to normal size in a dual. Never had anybody try to dictate what pet I could/couldn't bring but I def would not take it either. They still took alot of damage abilities away from the pets though. So even though the powers don't do damage they are better because they balance the pets in comparision to others basically? Thats why its an improvment?
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

They still can still go big-red, but monstrous bite used to increase their size more. But yes, that's why it's an improvement. If your group is min-maxing, and is missing a buff/debuff, hunters are the adaptable class that can switch pets and fill the role. And if you're not min-maxing, you can bring whatever pet you think is the neatest.