Rak'Shiri changed colors

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Re: Rak'Shiri changed colors

Unread post by Calomel »

With all of the discussion, I think I'll have to just camp the rare anyway and then abandon whichever one changes to white. I love my blue kitty Frostbite, even if some people consider Shy-Rotam the "poor man's Rak'Shiri". Really? Poor man's? I don't like camping for rares, period. It made me ridiculously happy to know there was a blue saber cat available that I wouldn't have to go INSANE camping for.

I'm not super elitist enough to care whether something is a rare or not. I set my heart on a particular look and tame it for personal reasons. The only rare I've ever camped is Loque, because it was necessary and forced if I wanted that model. If there were any other way to get that model I'd have done it.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

awesome im glad they did that ^^
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Calomel wrote:With all of the discussion, I think I'll have to just camp the rare anyway and then abandon whichever one changes to white. I love my blue kitty Frostbite, even if some people consider Shy-Rotam the "poor man's Rak'Shiri". Really? Poor man's? I don't like camping for rares, period. It made me ridiculously happy to know there was a blue saber cat available that I wouldn't have to go INSANE camping for.

I'm not super elitist enough to care whether something is a rare or not. I set my heart on a particular look and tame it for personal reasons. The only rare I've ever camped is Loque, because it was necessary and forced if I wanted that model. If there were any other way to get that model I'd have done it.
My words; I'll apologize for the negative connotation.

I do NOT consider Rak'shiri to be of higher "value" than Shy-Rotam. Rare hunters do, and that's where the elitist air comes from. I'm not condoning it, agreeing with it, or justifying it, but it is there.

That said, it was a bad move for Blizzard to replace EITHER of the aqua kitties with the white tiger skin because the aqua skin was uncommon to begin with. Hopefully, this will be remedied before anything makes it to live.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Pike
Realm: Silver Hand (US) (A) and The Venture Co (US) (H)

Unread post by Pike »

Calomel wrote:With all of the discussion, I think I'll have to just camp the rare anyway and then abandon whichever one changes to white. I love my blue kitty Frostbite, even if some people consider Shy-Rotam the "poor man's Rak'Shiri". Really? Poor man's? I don't like camping for rares, period. It made me ridiculously happy to know there was a blue saber cat available that I wouldn't have to go INSANE camping for.

I am with you there. The only reason I have Rak and not Shy is because this is my Alliance hunter and I tamed it back when the Shy quest was Horde only and there are like no Horde on that server. (Except for Wintergrasp, at which point I swear they all come out of the woodwork, win Wintergrasp, and then promptly log off.)

Since the change was announced I have had some people tell me that they're sorry and feel bad for me because they tamed the "easy teal cat" (aka Shy) while I tamed the "hard one" (aka Rak) and thus they feel like they cheated, and I don't understand this line of reasoning. I didn't spend forever looking for Rak. I logged in one night and he wasn't there, so I logged out, came back the next morning and there he was.

But then again I was never a pet-camper. I'll do the starter trek where I take a level 12 hunter to the other end of the world for a unique look (my fave was the time I jaunted to Howling Fjord for one of those crows) but I don't camp for rares. The only reason I have Gondria is because I happened to see it when I was flying over Zul'Drak on my way to Icecrown. =X

Edit: Okay I lied, I did camp for Humar on one of my low-levels. That one took like a week of logging on and logging off every few hours, because apparently I kept getting unlucky with the timing. I think that is the only time though... but I could be wrong >_> too many pets!
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

I wouldn't consider Shy a poor man's Rak'Shiri.
Shy is the Queen of the Frostsabers, and over 4000 years old according to WoW Lore. :) A beauty herself.

She may be easier to acquire then Rak, but you also have to grind the three more levels to get to her. Not only that but the lady fears, and hopefully her mate doesn't find you :)

Both Rak'Shiri and Shy Rotam are unique cats that shouldn't be altered :)

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

And there are other consequences.

Now there's a new skin that I am going to casually camp while leveling my DK. I assume there will be others doing it as well, since it's the only way to get that skin unless you are a NE.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I have not read all the pages, as there are 9 of them, but reading this last page kinda confused me... Is Shy or Rak being made white? If it's Rak, I'ma be rather pissed at Blizz. It's the same reason Nahth is upset about Duskstalker changing skins in http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 36&start=0. I've had my Aqua Rak'shiri for three years, and will be infuriated if I have to abandon him just to get my aqua skin back. Why can't they add a new tiger with this skin? Or possibly change a tiger that, idk, ALREADY HAS A WHITE TIGER SKIN?!?!?!?! Like King Bangalash??

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Rak'Shiri is the one turning into the white tiger riding cat model, NOT Shy'Rotam. Shy is just what people want to convert instead.
Last edited by Ariamodasu on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

*Sigh* alright. Looks like I have to get myself that damned Shy.... FML

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Well just hang onto him/her for now. Things may change..

Magnakilro
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by Magnakilro »

I think I may have another solution for this fiasco....anyone remember the tiger named Hawkbane? He was a regular non-riding version iof Rak'shiri's new colors.

My idea is....bring back Hawkbane as a riding model! Leave Rak'shiri as an aqua-blue tiger!
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Was Hawkbane a rare spawn, though? Just switching the skin from one rare to the other doesn't solve the problem of the night elf starter pet skin being the only one only available on a rare spawn, as opposed to every other starter skin that's available on a common mob - though some are, admittedly, not low-level mobs.

If he was commonly available, then it certainly sounds good to me.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

If I remember right he was just kinda there chilling with the other tigers.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Magnakilro

Hawkbane was just a lvl 70 elite...not rare at all.

Sure he's a pretty high lvl...but then...so are the draenei moths and tauren tallstriders!
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Like I said...if he's commonly available, then more power to the suggestion.

Heck, add it to the suggestion thread on the official forums. Certainly can't hurt to offer another reasonable option. I'm just old and senile and could have sworn he was a rare with a particularly obnoxious respawn timer back in BC. :D

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Magnakilro

Petopia just lists him as a retired elite, so I guess he'd be perfect for this!

Tho him being elite may cause some grief
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Hawkbane was taken out of the game quite awhile ago, and from what I read in thottbot.. it ticked off quite alot of people :lol: They removed the cave he spawned from and quite caused a commotion that cat did when he was taken out.
I personally love the aqua skin, but I also really like the black one as well. So I am pretty impartial but thats probably cause I just got Rak and havent had her for years like other people. I am hoping that they will come with a good plan with this. But they may just say "Well we made the skin readily available for everyone, so unfortunately theres nothing we will do about it. If you want the skin tame Shy, if you want the unique (to other races or not starter NE's) then tame Rak shiri.

I guess all you can do is wait and see. If it comes out that the cat will turn into the black cat, you can always make a story that she aged in Cataclysm. No longer a young cat but a wise old friend preparing to take on the end of the world.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Kalliope wrote:
erwil wrote::D Oh that's sweet!
Does the game actually remember which one you've tamed though? o.O Or do we have to retame our Raks for the new skin (haven't got Raks on beta)?
Wondering the same about Shango.
The way it's worked in the past, the game remembers which specific pet you tamed, so it should change.
So my Rak'shiri will become black and white?
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Eziwolf wrote: So my Rak'shiri will become black and white?
Yes, so far the game will change already tamed Rak'shiri to the black and white model, and the wild one. Thins may change, but who knows.

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

*Sigh* Is Shy'Rotam (Or whichever one of them is the tiger) up as a regular spawn in live atm? If it is I might just make the change now so I don't have to worry about it later.