Suggestions for our Lurker.. ;)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Re: Suggestions for our Lurker.. ;)

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I'd love to see hunters be able to pick specs again. I was just posting what I'd read on the forums a few days ago when a thread about it popped up.
ApiBiru

Unread post by ApiBiru »

Dewclaw wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:29 am I read on the forums recently that it was because players going against hunters in PVP wouldn't be able to know fully what they were up against if pets could be any spec.
Hot Take, PvP player wanting to min-max their fight, ruin WoW for the rest of us.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Please make the Pureblooded Cloud Serpent tameable! :) thanks!
Baihu
Realm: Barthilas; Ner'zul

Unread post by Baihu »

Tbh, the spec switching is mainly I think, so people can switch a Cunning pet to either Ferocity or Tenacity, cos Cunning has the least benefits whereas the other two specs has all important survivability one way or another. The best solution is prolly to bake in Leech or Fortitude of the Bear to all pets, or to buff the benefits of Cunning pets if they're the obv weakest spec of pet.
Umbriel of Halaa
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Umbriel of Halaa »

Umbriel of Halaa wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:00 pm Thank you for adding the otters (although I still think mustelid-type creatures should be their own family rather than classed as rodents). What I said about model updates still stands, especially that runehound (which I seem to recall not even having a swimming animation; please at least switch them to a reskinned version of the new darkhound model). And I still want voidhounds (and mandragoras); and let's also add vorquins, woodpeckers, magma slugs, mantacorns, and hornswogs.
Thank you for the additions that have been made so far. Anyway: I still want voidhounds and mandragoras; and you can add razorwings to the list now, too (they could fall under the pterrordax, feathermane, or scalehide family). Ottuks, the new skunks, and maybe marsuul should be their own separate family; and adding badger options would be cool. As for the extant rodent family: let us have giant rats (aside from those mawrats) and/or giant squirrels. And every pet model from Wrath or earlier needs an update, really.

Also? More dogs. The soul-eaters would make for a good hound model.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Because I mentioned it in another thread and it got stuck in my head, I'm posting this nonsensical idea here too.

Pet Family: Critter
- Unlock Method: Some kind of plot about dryads wanting to teach critters how to protect themselves.
- Allow the hunter to tame critters, AKA those small lil' fellas that always die to AoE.
- Alternatively, allows the hunter to call a battle pet out from their battle pet collection.

Critters have been a massive thing since the very beginning, ranging from rodents like mice and rats to crazy things like demons and cows. Critters are by far the most diverse selection of NPCs in the game simply due to how many different models are labeled as such. They're non-hostile, easily killed, and are used as ambient creatures in many ways. When you think of a hunter however, you imagine a burly dwarf with a bear, or a towering tauren with a tallstrider. Maybe an orc with a wolf, or a human with an abomination composed of dragon corpses stitched together and reanimated... Yeah, that's a thing. Hunters already have such an insane variety of tameable beasts, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, but critters are a type of beast too, yet they get no love from the class that's all about taking care of animals!

As a family, critters would not have an ability. They would not provide run speed, attack speed, a defensive, a heal, or anything else. They'd simply be a vanity tame that is capable of fighting and being affected by hunter abilities (such as Bestial Wrath). They would not be considered Ferocity, Cunning, or Tenacity. Instead, they'd be their own Critter class. The Critter class would not provide anything for a hunter. They would simply have the usual pet abilities like Growl, Smack, and so on, but they would not provide additional on-demand defense, a powerful haste buff, or a means of escaping crowd control. They would not be exotic, which means we would not need to be Beast Mastery specialization to use them.

Assuming battle pets are allowed to be summoned, here is my argument towards allowing ALL battle pets rather than having to sort through everything. First off, critters are critters, and all battle pets are critters. Be they small animals like squirrels or magical constructs summoned by mages, they are small and defenseless in the face of real danger. The dryads have shown to care so much for critters that they would likely not be bothered tending to small abominations and demons. All life is precious to them, after all. Second, there are so many battle pets that it would be a monumental task to hand pick everything. There are humanoids in the flying battle pet category, actual dragons in the dragonkin family, zombies in the undead family, and so on. Why bother taking the time to sort them when ALL life is precious? Finally, this would also lead to allowing players to put their battle pets to good use outside of the minigame. You can't tell me that you wouldn't like your favorite battle pet to fight at your side. You can't tell me that seeing a hunter with Deebs at their side wouldn't be awesome. Battle Pets already have everything they need to be used as hunter pets aside from a family.

Wild critter or battle pet, this is all easily doable. It's just summoning an NPC that takes the appearance of the chosen miniature animal. To make it easier for players to realize it's a hunter-controlled pet, the tamed critter/battle pet would have an icon over its head with the hunter class symbol of a bow and arrow. Or perhaps a paw marker of a different color than battle pets and legendary battle pets. They would provide no increased stats or strategic value outside of being a little smaller and easier to click around. If battle pets are allowed, it could be done by right clicking a battle pet and selecting "Hunter Summon". For Beast Mastery and battle pets, there could be another option as "Hunter Companion" for those talented into Animal Companion that want two battle pets as their hunter pets. The critters/battle pets could also be handicapped so that they have low health, making them less viable for long-term content like raids and PvP.

This concept is based on the inclusion of tameable beasts with critter models, such as the worms from Pandaria, as well as the ability for those in the Night Fae covenant to transform into critters with Soulshape. This is purely for fun.
Kilroy

Unread post by Kilroy »

Was thinking while doing some quests in Pandaria that I should tame a dragon, and after playing around with them I found the veilwing animations kinda weird. Am I alone? I'm not a fan of the way they fly while idle and are grounded to move and attack, feels like that should be reversed.

Also why no more tameable monkeys since Cataclysm, even after adding a perfect new model for it? :(
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Seeing as how the next expansion "The War Within" is coming out relatively soon, I figured it's a good time to throw in some much-needed attention to the concept put forth a while back regarding raid tames. Once TWW launches, it will have been two full expansions since Battle for Azeroth, which means the restriction on raid bosses being tameable is finally lifted for that expansion. So, here's my argument for each raid from Battle for Azeroth.

Uldir
This raid introduced hunters to the concept of blood beasts. The Blood-Soaked Tome of Dark Whispers is available from defeating Zul on normal, heroic, or mythic difficulty, and allows hunters across your account to tame blood beasts. As of right now, this class of pet is limited to crawgs and ticks, which is a shame since it's a fun concept. Crawgs are mutated offspring of Krag'wa the toad loa, and ticks are... well ticks exist. Thing is, that's all we got. There were smaller ticks that used the crocolisk/basilisk animations, but they were relegated to battle pets. In the halls of Uldir however, there are two candidates for taming as blood beasts; Fetid Devourer and Spawn of G'huun.

Fetid Devourer is one of the bosses you must kill before you can approach Zul. It is a hydra composed of a lion, a vulture, some kind of reptile, some kind of hoofed animal, and a whole lot of fungus. Lorewise, these were all parts of long-forgotten loa that were experimented on by the titans. My first choice would have been to call it a hydra, but it's an amalgamation of multiple animals. It COULD be a spirit beast, what with being made of dead loas. However, I fully support the concept of it being a blood beast since Uldir is the source of the ability to tame them, and Fetid Devourer is a little too unique to just be lumped in as a hydra.

Spawn of G'huun is an add that spawns during the mythic G'huun encounter, appearing when any minion is slain. They move towards a random player, and jump inside of that unfortunate player to make them a host to more adds. This uses a unique worm model, being a smooth grey creature with a prominent horn, mandibles, and striking bloody jaws. I've been enamored by this thing since I first saw them used in the mythic affix "Infested", which is where these lil' fellas made their debut prior to Uldir's release. These would clearly be a challenge tame, since they move towards a targeted player at high speed and despawn when they touch that player. They are susceptible to crowd control of course, but you'd have to manage the spawning and positioning of these worms because that fight has a lot going on, especially in mythic. Currently classified as an aberration, but changing it to a beast is an easy fix.

Battle of Dazar'alor
This raid is unique in that both Alliance and Horde players get to see different versions of some fights, as well as alternate events. One boss that portrays this well is Grong, a massive white gorilla who gave up his intelligence and individuality in order to help the Alliance put a stop to the war with the Zandalari Trolls. This boss was unique in that it was very different for each faction. The Horde fight the living version of Grong, while the Alliance fight the revived Grong the Revenant. This enormous gorilla also has a very unique appearance, having been given a realistic model that more closely represents the physique and mannerisms of a real gorilla. This big fella would pose a small issue however; only Horde would have access to its living appearance, while only Alliance would have access to its undead appearance. Likewise, Alliance would ideally need to know how to tame undead to be able to tame Grong the Revenant. This would mean that, for a player to have both appearances, they would need to do a faction change. A very small boost in sales for that service would happen, because I'm sure there's a small group out there who'd gladly swap factions (more than once, too) just to get both looks. Regardless, these two appearances would be much-needed love for a classic pet family that has received very little love over the years.

The Eternal Palace
This one's a bit of a stretch, but I'm still going to suggest it. In the darkest depths of this raid lives a massive eel known as the Blackwater Behemoth. Resembling a horrifying mix of eel, anglerfish, and the extinct mosasaur, this frightening titan of the deep was a challenging raid boss that took place underwater. That's... sadly all I can say for it. It's just a big prehistoric eel. We have multiple examples of tamed eels, ranging from the magical mana serpents to the freaky abyssal eels. Adding another floating eel to the squad wouldn't hurt!

I'd also suggest Orgozoa and its minion Zoatroid, but we don't have a family for this kind of cephalopod abomination. Sad.

Those are all of the relevant raid beasts I could see becoming available as pets once The War Within launches.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I just got Dragonflight Keystone Master: Season 3. Got the Verdant Armoredon mount, which is a green armoredon with huge splintered antler/horns. Make this fella be a rare spawn or something for us to tame! Give our big scalehide boys some unique looks!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

^ I kind of want some sort of idea follow up for armoredons.

Give all armoredons 2 new horn variants, one from the inferno armoredon, and one from verdant armoredon.
Give armoredon pets the mount running animation and attack animation, those stiff runs and kodo attack animations keep me away from them
Give the new run to the new thunder lizards as well, the kodo run sucks
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:16 am Fetid Devourer is one of the bosses you must kill before you can approach Zul. It is a hydra composed of a lion, a vulture, some kind of reptile, some kind of hoofed animal, and a whole lot of fungus. Lorewise, these were all parts of long-forgotten loa that were experimented on by the titans. My first choice would have been to call it a hydra, but it's an amalgamation of multiple animals. It COULD be a spirit beast, what with being made of dead loas. However, I fully support the concept of it being a blood beast since Uldir is the source of the ability to tame them, and Fetid Devourer is a little too unique to just be lumped in as a hydra.
If they made Fetid Devourer tamable I'd be so happy. It's one of my favorite models in the game.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Timerunning Pandamonium is an opportunity to do a Hunter Pet taming pass!

Pandaria has so many awesome models that fall into several pet families but aren't yet available for taming.

Since beavers can be tamed now, there are some models that would be great additions such as the Barbtail Beaver or Shadowtail Beaver.

And of course the Green, Gold and Blue Cloud Serpents have several locations that could get an update and / or added so there are some neutral mobs available for taming.

I'd love to see an option like an emit like /roar or even just a few mobs that are flying around wild be swapped to neutral instead of friendly.

Thanks so much!
Vorhees

Unread post by Vorhees »

I recently noticed this nice cat when revisiting Nazjatar on my Dwarven hunter.
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=154624/phantom-nightsaber

I haven't done any the Shadowlands stuff, so I didn't have the tome of bonebinding.
But, despite Beast-lore telling me it was not tamable, it listed pet skills and diet....So I figured I would drag my Forsaken hunter's bones down there and try it out.
Still not tamable though :cry:

I would love it if this model became available for those that like the undead pets.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Yah I'd love to have that as a pet, it's so awesome looking.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I hope the lurkers will see what I say here for the War Within and moving forward since feedback and suggestions are essential for the game and the hunter community, here are some ideas

Merge or Move different creatures to a family that makes more sense to them

Dread Ravens, Dread Rocs, and Plague Rocs from maldraxxus should be moved to carrion birds, A few reasons, most of these birds are only seen either sitting around or eating carrion and birds of prey is wrong. Dread Rocs and Ravens should be with their crow and vulture cousins rather than birds that hunt like eagles. Don’t forget Anzu

Bruffalons should move to oxen, not only it makes more sense, they are cows, they may have moose features, but they look much more like bovines than stags

Skill families that should be removed but the skill stays, just like undead and gargon tomes

Mechanicals, move most of the creatures to their designated body type families.

Direhorns, this is my opinion, but they should be scalehides, they have scales and thick hides, and a separate family for one model is nuts imo

New families, make some unfitting models have their own place

Weasels - fits marsuuls, ottuks, and skunks, they’re not rodents

Gastropod - move all the snails from the exotic carapids to a non exotic gastropod family with older snails and slugs being added to the family

Wyvern - Move wind riders and slyverns from feathermanes to a new family since they don’t have a single feather, razorwings from korthia will fit here

Grubs - they are larva and not worms, so they should have their own family to tame, which includes Gormlings, Demon grubs, fanged grubs, and grubs, caterpillars should also be put since they are not worms either

Creature models that can fit in older families

Skeleton horse - coursers, shadowlands was the best opportunity to add those to the coursers, but have been skipped and forgotten

Soul Eaters - one of my favorite untameables, they should either be put in Lesser dragonkin or Warp Stalkers, they are dragon like and are ethereal so either one fits

Deepflayers - I say bats since they look like mutated stone bats, the bats need more variety

Deepstriders - stags, once blizzard figures out how to code them in as hunter pets

Brutosaurs - scalehides, maybe add a few more npcs with the juvenile model which has fluid animations and would be the perfect companion

Feywings - they are the only lesser dragonkin that need to be added, add a few npcs to either the dragon isles or Shadowmoon valley in draenor that has all three colors to pick from

Wilderlings - either lesser dragonkin or wolf, they are majestic enough addition to be put in either one

Ambystans - either toads or lizards since we got salamanthers with the same animations and similar frills

Aqiri Worm/n’zoth worms - if we can have aqir flyers and cloud serpents, why not, they fit in worms

Mandagoras - hydras, with a new skill to tame them

Devourer mites, Gorgers, and maulers - blood beasts, similar lifestyle and body types, gorgers are space gorillas

Other ideas that would work

Empowered Bond - this could be either a new normal talent for all specs, or in the pack leader hero spec - every pet now has all three specialization passives, I remember that someone else had this idea but I don’t remember who, This solves pet specialization issues so we can use all pets, and active abilities don’t really matter to me so it’s a win win.

Allow hunter pets to charge with survival hunters again when casting harpoon, in legion the pet charged with you, but gone since bfa. Flanking strike is close, but not close enough

Allow survival hunters to use double one handed weapons and use maces, two reasons, play just like Rexxar, and I heard this saying multiple times, every weapon is a hunter weapon
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Some pet families are still soo small..and need more options
Crocolisk, Blood Beasts, Core hounds, wind riders, Monkeys, prob more but that is what i could come up with right now

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

I know I've already made a post about it but I'll say it once and I'll say it 100x over until the cows come home, Remove the mechanical family and make them like undead pets.

So many models are screwed over by this awful combo of Cunning + Defense Matrix (Seriously a pet that's not meant to tank gets a tanking ability???) and it's time they get put into their respective families.

Also, Please add some new models for Monkeys, Crocolisk, Dragonhawks and Warp Stalkers. It's been too long since they've received any sort of update or new model and they deserve more love.. Q~Q
taywinnet
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by taywinnet »

Allow survival hunters to use double one handed weapons and use maces, two reasons, play just like Rexxar, and I heard this saying multiple times, every weapon is a hunter weapon
This, so much this. We can technically dual-wield; why can't we use it for anything? It's just taunting us!