A thought regarding Madexx

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

A thought regarding Madexx

Unread post by pengupuff »

I camped Madexx all night just to have him spawn on top of me, and part of the thrill and anticipation stemmed from not knowing what color I would get. I really, really like this idea of having a rare mob that can spawn with one of many skins.

I know a lot of you will disagree since you have your hearts set on one color and won't settle for less, but hear me out.

I used to have Loque'Nahak, but got turned off of him, partly because literally every hunter and their MOTHER managed to snatch him up on my server. Even now with all the new available pets, it seems that an unnaturally large amount of hunters run with Loque on my server, and while I'm happy for them, it made my individual Loque seem less special considering the pain it was to get him in the first place.

A rare mob like Madexx kind of prevents this from happening though. While several hunters might all have Madexx, their pets will vary in color and thus retain some level of individuality. It's a very attractive idea, and one that I wouldn't mind seeing in future rares.

Thoughts?

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Eldanalune
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: A thought regarding Madexx

Unread post by Eldanalune »

I agree with you. To a point, Pengupuff.

I can understand your frustration at seeing a good number of hunters on your server running with Loque'nahak. Yes, Loque's tame is a pain in the ass. And you usually hope and pray that you are one of the rare few that can run with him. It does make you feel pretty damn good that you beat out the competition. That your Loque is one of the few. Or your Gondria...or whatever you have that seems special.

But speaking as a former Master Creature Handler from (the original and only) Star Wars Galaxies, I can say this with the utmost confidence and belief in what I say. It doesn't matter how many handlers have Loque'nahak. Yours, the one that is yours, whether it looks like another's or not, is still special in its own way. You put your time into waiting for Loque to spawn. You spent countless hours sitting in one spot and flying around, forgoing anything else just to bring Loque home. Just like the rancors and crimson razor cats I tamed, there were hundreds of others like them. But mine were special because I spent the time to tame them and raise them.

They may look exactly the same, Pengu. But it isn't the look that makes them special. But what you did to aquire that pet that makes it special.

As philosophical as that sounds, its true for any pet you have. Real life or in game. Each has their own personality. And each is an individual.
"Always be aware. Or was it oblivious? I can never remember."
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I suppose you raise a good point; there ARE pets I have kept just because I grew attached to them, and not for their rarity alone (i.e. Araga, even after the Shattering when her skin became common). I guess my problem was I tamed Loque JUST to show off, JUST because he was another spirit beast that was shiny and impressive, and when he became as common as any other pet on my server, the whole attraction I had to him faded away.

Regardless of the Loque analogy, I generally like the idea of a unique mob that can spawn in one of many colors. It adds a new level of excitement to camping for me. It's like biting into a Nestle Wonder Ball; you don't know what will be inside, but whatever it is you know it'll be delicious. Not to say Madexx is delicious.

I don't know where I was going with this.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Jin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar EU

Unread post by Jin »

I think it was a great idea by Blizzard to make him come in different colors. It makes him special and will, imo, make it fun to see hunters with a different scorpid and give another dimension to the rare-hunting! :) I just wish he was a little bigger after tame.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain »

..as a side question, which color did you get?
Lorelaine
Realm: The Maelstrom EU

Unread post by Lorelaine »

as another side question, where on the map did you find him? :)
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

(I found mine on the eastern side of the peninsula. Night sky blue version, near the greenery.)
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I got the black and red version. Details on where I found him and around what time are in this thread on the second page:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7456

Also there's a screenie. ^.^

Check out my stable!

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

pengupuff wrote:I camped Madexx all night just to have him spawn on top of me, and part of the thrill and anticipation stemmed from not knowing what color I would get. I really, really like this idea of having a rare mob that can spawn with one of many skins.

I know a lot of you will disagree since you have your hearts set on one color and won't settle for less, but hear me out.

I used to have Loque'Nahak, but got turned off of him, partly because literally every hunter and their MOTHER managed to snatch him up on my server. Even now with all the new available pets, it seems that an unnaturally large amount of hunters run with Loque on my server, and while I'm happy for them, it made my individual Loque seem less special considering the pain it was to get him in the first place.

A rare mob like Madexx kind of prevents this from happening though. While several hunters might all have Madexx, their pets will vary in color and thus retain some level of individuality. It's a very attractive idea, and one that I wouldn't mind seeing in future rares.

Thoughts?
As to the comment on Loque-who cares if everybody else has it? I got my Loque because I saw him on Petopia when I was researching the game and I decided that I had to make myself a hunter just to get him. Many, many hunters on my realm have him-but so what? I got him because I wanted him-not because he is 'rare'. Its the same with all my other pets. I'd personally have the 'rares' be a little more common because they look so gorgeous for the most part that so many people are after them and it is hard to get one for yourself. I love my Loque, Sambas and Karoma-but I also love my Tol Baradin fox and my hunch-backed orange tiger-and those two are pretty common. I don't care about what everyone else has, I just want the pets that I like the look of.

As to the different colors I had a similar thought-but make the diff colors a little more or less rare-like red is a bit more common then say blue, or such. That way people who want that skin can get the more common color or if they are determined to get just the rarest hold out for another color. Or something.

Sleepy, got three hours of sleep after camping and getting my Sambas last night so I might not be making sense.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

/sigh

I figured someone would take offense. >.<

It's just my personal feeling on the spirit cat. As I already explained, I tamed Loque JUST to show off, not to develop any sort of connection, hence the reason why I lost interest when everyone else started popping up with him. I'm happy that you love your Loque, that's great, I wasn't attacking people who like Loque. I was just voicing my own experience with the spirit beast, and was in no way generalizing everyone else's experience with him.

Check out my stable!

Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

Taming just to show off is pretty pointless. Eventually other hunter will track it down and tame. Should have seen it coming ;)
Wut?
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

>Implying none of you have ever camped out in org/dal for 3 hours with a shiny new pet just to let the influx of whispers file through.

Be honest people.

I'm actually a little floored that anyone's getting all taken aback because my opinion of a bundle of polygons differs from theirs. I understand that it's easy to get attached to our virtual companions, but they are only polygons. Their "personalities" are perceived by us. They aren't real. If I want to tame a fake virtual pet then kick it to the curb when it becomes too common, there is NOTHING morally wrong with that. So get off my case.

Quick edit: I don't even know how the subject got derailed. I wasn't even bashing on Loque. I was using that personal experience as an example to support my belief that having a unique rare mob with multiple colors that may spawn is a great way for hunters to further express their individuality.

Check out my stable!

Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

Having a differing opinion than yours =/= getting on your case. At all.

But I agree, more color changer rares would be pretty neat.
Wut?
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

i think alot of people go through things like that weather it be loque, gondria, arc, or even araga. people loose interest in pets all the time wheather it be, because more people have the same pet, loss of interest or it doesnt suit their needs. people are going to have their own feelings on pets and why they tamed them.

there is no reason for anyone to take offence to the OP's first post at least i dont think so it was his(her?) opinion on loque and i know i respect that. i have seen peolpe talk other hunters down because they didnt have a spirit beast, and i have seen it happen because they did. if someone wants a pet because at the time dang-near noone has them and when more and more do they let them go it is their choice, now if that hutner turns around and taks down to hunters who have the pet, then yes it is wrong.

So OP, i have to agree with you on madexx, i am really happy they made him spawn different colors, i think that was a great idea that blizz had and knowing that its a pretty even number of chance on color and is so random makes it better i think, and again IMO, if they made one color "spawn" more then the other people would be upset. again IMO.

Also to the OP, glad you got madexx, i am going to be looking for him at some point in time soon lol ben looking on and off, i got sambas last night after a day long camp xD hopefull i will have some luck tonight with madexx since night/early morning is always the best time to look lol.

* hugs OP* no worries i wont judge you :D

*shares cookies with everyone*

and since more post before i posted this, i will admit, when i got ghostcrawler and sambas i sat in org forever getting a whole butt ton of whispers on them.

and to say what the op did was pointless is wrong juding people from something like that is silly, now if he said " hey i killed louque every time i saw him up so noone would have him or i kill loque cause so many have him!" then yeah..... thaty would be seriously pointles... everyone does something for one reason or another and if it is not greifing anyone, hurting anyone putting anyone down, or even making it hard for someone to get the pet, then geez let them be.. putting the OP down is pointless

I saw we all just talk about madexx and his changes colors and what color everyone wants xD
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

ON TOPIC: I was really just hoping this would blossom into a discussion about how this whole process with Madexx could be utilized with future rares.

What kind of rare pet would you all like to see with multiple color possibilities?

Check out my stable!

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Grats on your tames Siliverin, sounds like you've been busy. :O And good luck with Madexx, I hope you get him soon. He's definitely a stunning pet.

And you're right... after I cemented the fact that Loque just isn't for me, I have actually helped 2 hunters get him since then. :O So it all worked out in the long run.

I think a spirit beast with Madexx's model would be neat. I like the idea of unconventional spirit beasts that shy away from fool-proof models like cats and wolves. That's why I'm so excited to hit 85 so I can start looking out for Ghostcrawler. I mean, a spirit crab!? Pretty strange and awesome.

Check out my stable!

Nadarrus72

Unread post by Nadarrus72 »

Can someone put up the coordinates for his spawn points?
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

Thanks :D yeah i have LOL i went for ghostcrawler when Sambas wasnt up ealier that day, so i got them both in one day xD and that is really cool that you helped people get loque!! i think more pets rare, spiritbeasts or norm had changing colors would be awsome! well g2g gettin srs in class
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

I'd love to see Loque in different colors, to be on topic /and/ mention loque. Sometimes in various instances he gets cursed to a blueish purply black, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
Jin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar EU

Unread post by Jin »

That's a great thought, what if more of the really rare ones came in different skins? :)

I both agree and disagree with the rare/common thing tbh. I try to tame pets I like, most of the times those are in fact rare but I think that has more with the fact it often feels like Blizzard put more effort into their looks than some desire to be unique, because lets face it, noone will be unique in WoW and even things like TLPD will be common after long enough time. I dont mind use a common pet or a rare that "everyone" has but only to a certain degree.

When it goes so far that EVERYONE has it I will get something else. Like when you had to have a cat for raiding and it went weeks between the times you saw a hunter with something else than a cat. Then suddenly you need to have a wolf and over night all cats were gone and everyone had a wolf. I think Loque too was a good example, when I first saw him on MMO Champ before release I fell instantly in love with him. I camped him and got him and loved him.

Then more and more and more hunters started to use him. Named him stupid names. Said things like "lol I hate BM and spirit beast suck" while having him out. The entire situation was so obviously "we must tame this regardless if we like him or not because its the only spirit beast" and that kinda made me not wanted to be part of it. (Nothing aimed at you pengupuff :))

I think that Blizzard after so many year finally managed to give hunters enough viable options for pets that it will be a varied sight and to let people choose what they like. At least I really hope so! :)