Long-Term Illness = Bored Hunter Challenge (IMAGE HEAVY)

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Long-Term Illness = Bored Hunter Challenge (IMAGE HEAVY)

Unread post by Kurasu »

I have been rather sick for several weeks now, and unable to focus on things like raids, heroics, and... really anything more dedicated than grinding and the like. Aloicious has been my saving grace, but recently I had an idea for a different hunter challenge. I've only just started, but so far been having a ball with it. :)

Newly-started goblin hunter (I've never leveled as Horde, so it's nice to see the quests from this side!) who, every five levels, has a mandatory pet-change. So far, my limitations are: no doubling up on skins *period*. Ever. No doubling up on families until no other choice remains (and *never* allowed back to back). The next pet must be chosen out of the zone that I dinged the 'five levels' in, and preferably a nearby 'random' beast unless that would double up.

So far, this is turning out to be fun. It's letting me get a feel for a variety of pets that I may not otherwise have tamed. :) After I am finished with each pet, I'm putting them in the stable to act as reminders to myself of what I've tamed, and memories so far.
Last edited by Kurasu on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Long-Term Illness = Bored Hunter Challenge

Unread post by Rhyela »

Wow, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. :lol: You should post some stories/pics of some of the ones that stick with you the most. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I don't really have any good stories as of yet. As I said, I just started a day or so ago. :) But thus far, the pet progression has been:

LilPinchy, the goblin starting crab (1-10). Obviously this was an exception to the 'five levels' rule since you have to be level 10 before you can swap out.

Shiara, the Jungle Panther (level 10-15)

Jack, the Greater Tallstrider (level 15-20)

Skybury, the Barrens Vulture (level 20-25)

And finally Grumbles, the Elder Ashenvale Bear (level 25-27)

I'm going to finish my Ashenvale quests first (probably working on Loremaster because I love me some lore) before going to Stonetalon, but I'll likely be getting my level 30 while I'm in the area. Not a huge selection of tameable beasts there! Should be fun to see which the closest one to me is. :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

This is a really neat idea!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, sending my wishes that you're back on your feet soon!

This is really a fantastic sounding idea though, seems like a lot of fun! I'd love to hear about all the pets you end up trying out as you go. :)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I hope you feel better soon Kurasu! :)

This idea sounds like a lot of fun, if you don't mind, I think I may try it with one of my baby hunters. ^_^

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

Sounds fun! I hope you are feeling better soon!
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

I am more worried about you "long-term illness" than pets.

Is it curable. (is it something like the flu-like crud that has been going around)

Or... is it RREEAAALLLYYYY long-term... like the 'C' word or something.

Hope you start feeling better soon.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Kurasu wrote:I have been rather sick for several weeks now, and unable to focus on things like raids, heroics, and... really anything more dedicated than grinding and the like. Aloicious has been my saving grace, but recently I had an idea for a different hunter challenge. I've only just started, but so far been having a ball with it. :)
Oh man, that sucks. Get well soon!
Pent wrote:I am more worried about you "long-term illness" than pets.

Is it curable. (is it something like the flu-like crud that has been going around)

Or... is it RREEAAALLLYYYY long-term... like the 'C' word or something.

Hope you start feeling better soon.
Umm, there's only one 'C' word that comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure it isn't an illness...
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

'Cancer' is technically an illness. ;) But no. They're actually not sure what it is. Just some 'mysterious pain' that I'm still getting all sorts of tests to identify. The main suspicion at the moment is an ulcer or some sort of other infection. They've done x-rays and a CAT scan, so if there were signs of anything unusual, they would've let me know I'm sure. The 'long-term' part is only because they don't know what it is, other than treating with ye basic Pain Management.
TygerDarkstorm wrote:This idea sounds like a lot of fun, if you don't mind, I think I may try it with one of my baby hunters. ^_^
Go for it! I'm actually really enjoying it. It makes you think and plot a bit with where and how to level. :) Like for me, instead of going to Stonetalon after all, I dinged 30 in Stranglethorn, so I could get myself a monkey. I've never had one! Quite a lot of fun.

Almost level 35 now, done with Northern Stranglethorn, and trying to decide whether to follow the breadcrumbs to The Cape Of Stranglethorn, or see where the various boards send me. .... I think I'll check the boards. :)
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Kurasu wrote:'Cancer' is technically an illness. ;) But no. They're actually not sure what it is. Just some 'mysterious pain' that I'm still getting all sorts of tests to identify. The main suspicion at the moment is an ulcer or some sort of other infection. They've done x-rays and a CAT scan, so if there were signs of anything unusual, they would've let me know I'm sure. The 'long-term' part is only because they don't know what it is, other than treating with ye basic Pain Management.
Well, I never refer to cancer as the 'C' word, since another word already holds that designation, hence my confusion.

I hope that it's only something minor, and not too expensive to take care of!

_____

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Cialbi wrote: Well, I never refer to cancer as the 'C' word, since another word already holds that designation, hence my confusion.

I hope that it's only something minor, and not too expensive to take care of!
I am seriously not trying to derail the thread or anything, but I am at a loss right now trying to think what the other 'C' word that you thought I might be talking about was... :|

I hope it isn't "uncalled" for here.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Kurasu wrote: Go for it! I'm actually really enjoying it. It makes you think and plot a bit with where and how to level. :) Like for me, instead of going to Stonetalon after all, I dinged 30 in Stranglethorn, so I could get myself a monkey. I've never had one! Quite a lot of fun.

Almost level 35 now, done with Northern Stranglethorn, and trying to decide whether to follow the breadcrumbs to The Cape Of Stranglethorn, or see where the various boards send me. .... I think I'll check the boards. :)
This does seem like an interesting take on leveling, and since I'm such an altoholic, I think it will be fun. ^_^ Now I just need to decide whether to do it with an existing hunter, or roll a new one. *Thinks*

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

The 'C' word is vulgar, hence why I refer to it as the 'C' word out of politeness. I'll leave it at that, so as to stop derailing this.

_____

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Finally decided to take to Western Plaguelands, as the quests were just perfect for me. Within a couple quests, I dinged 35, and wanted to go get one of the Mastiffs (which were right in the area). Unfortunately, all the spawned mastiffs were level 36. :( So instead I nabbed one of the foxes they were chasing.

With the amount of XP I'm getting in WPL, though, I may yet ding 40 as well, and end up picking up one of the mastiffs anyway! I'm already halfway through level 37, and only 24 quests out of 45 for the achievement.

11:00PM second-to-last quest in Western Plaguelands, I did indeed ding the big 4-0. As I said I would, took a few steps outside Andorhol and picked myself up a Mastiff for my next five levels. Now it's to the EPL. And I suspect a bat is in my future...
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Another few hours of leveling, another 'big 5' ding, this time in the EPL. As my ding was way over in Terrordale, I considered grabbing myself a plagued swine instead of a bat. However, I realized that there was another option just a few steps away, if a little more work than grabbing a swine.

A trip into the Terrorweb Tunnel, poking at a Crypt Horror, and I now have a lovely red beetle for myself. And it's off to The Badlands. I believe choices for pets are quite limited there, but at the very least there are wolves, one of which I have never had.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

The next leg of my challenge is actually taking a little bit of finegling. The Badlands had very few quests, only getting me to level 48 just barely by the time I finished rolling it over. The only option for going elsewhere in EK was to Searing Gorge... but quite frankly, I detest that zone. It's just very difficult to get around without flying. However, at level 49, my options opened up more.

Up to Searing Gorge, I quested until I dinged 49, and then moved to a more user-friendly zone: Felwood. I would much rather quest Winterspring, but unfortunately the lowest level beast in the area is a level 52, which means if I dinged 50 there, I wouldn't be able to obtain my zone pet.

I intend to do as much of Felwood as I am able, before all my quests go grey. After that, I am again crossing the ocean and this time going back to Swamp Of Sorrows: a zone that I have always wanted to do as Horde in order to see the zone through their eyes.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

:( That sucks about Badlands, Kurasu. Here's to hoping things will go better for you through Felwoods. I do agree that Winterspring would be a good place to go though--there's so many beasts to choose from once you're at the right level. :D

Who knows, maybe you'd happen to stumble into Rak'Shiri. ;)

[/center]
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I'm not finished Felwood yet, but at level 52, and without any more quests in my book, I decided it was time to move on. If I decide to finish Loremaster, I can always come back later. For my Felwood pet, I grabbed hold of one of the owls. Still managing to keep my 'no duplicates'! I'm so far pleased. :)

Swamp Of Sorrows only has 25 quests for the achievement, so I may come up short of level 55. Was hoping to go directly from Swamp Of Sorrows to Blasted Lands, but it remains to be seen how well I'll do.

One thing I have been considering is the late level stuff. Level 60-70 means only two pets for the entirety of Outlands (three max), while 70-80 means the same for Northrend. And 80-85 means I'll only be allowed *one* pet for the entirety of Cataclysm content, in a time when the levels will be coming a lot more slowly. So I'm considering: should I reduce the time between pets for Outland, Northrend, and/or Cata? Outland should be quick enough leveling that I won't end up missing too much, but what about Northrend? And Cata, almost definitely.

What do folks think? One pet every three levels from 70-80, and one every level from 80-85? Or am I pushing it a bit too much? ;)
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Kurasu wrote:What do folks think? One pet every three levels from 70-80, and one every level from 80-85? Or am I pushing it a bit too much? ;)
If you want to test out as many pets as you can, and still manage a bond with some of them, this sounds pretty ideal! I'm not sure whether every level from 80-85 is good though, since the levels from 80-82 seem to go pretty fast. So maybe a pet for two levels from 80-82, and when the leveling slows down, a pet every level (82-85).