Rares should be different than Commons?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Make Rares Different than Commons?

A.Make rares have a unique skin for the zone.
3%
B.Make rares have a unique model for the zone.
1%
C. Make rares have the Silver Dragon portrait remain after tame.
12%
D. Make rares 10% larger than their common counterparts.
4%
E. A and C.
4%
F. A, C, and D.
12%
G. C and D.
3%
H. All of the Above.
12%
I. None of the Above. We like things the way they are.
38%
J. Other (please specify in your post)
10%

Total votes: 68

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Re: Rares should be different than Commons?

Unread post by Ziarre »

IDK about Spirit Beasts...I have a feeling those are an exception to the rule. Meant to have their own skin, more or less their own model (GC and Skoll are iffy there, Karoma I'm counting as Grimtotem Wolves weren't meant to be tamed). They're something above and beyond the rest, and I like that about them...not out of a sense of 'special snowflake'-ness, but because they're Spirit Beasts. Mysterious, elusive, unusual, no matter how many of them roam a city.

Maybe I'm romanticizing them a bit much, though.

Edit: Okay, so Gondria doesn't have a totally unique model either. Whee for brain farts.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Rarako wrote:
Sorry hun, I was not trying to sound insensitive. Yes I camped my rares, I was killed by others for being a possible HK, I was killed by others for camping something they wanted, I was killed by others mid tame after tagging my rare, I had my tame killed out from under me many times, I was "late to the party" on some spawns (it was all hugs and cheers for the lucky hunter though ^_^), and on rare occasions I have stumbled across my new pet.

While I like hunting for pets I also wish there were more alternatives to a long haul camp as you suggested making the spawn times shorter, having more pets be obtainable in instances like the Amani Dragonhawks, through quest chains such as Gezzarak, or some other means. I don't like the thought of hunter being SOL just because they can't play very often, it's one of the reasons why I think adding the elite tag in game would be a good idea (also one of the reasons a few folks are on my friends list with the rare they're after and a contact number as the comment). Bliz probably would not like the backlash they would get if they put some "rare" skins in places where it would be easier to get them (see Madexx) because those who have the rares might feel cheated, but if the elite tag was reapplied those who camped would be content and others who didn't want/have the ability/have time to camp would still be able to get the pet skin that they wanted. See? All kittens and rainbows! :D
And I didn't want to sound like a raving, frothing loony but I guess that's what I get for posting before my morning soda. I think the best compromise is a shorter spawn timer and maybe a nice portrait tag or bigger size on the rares.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Starzein
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Saurfang

Unread post by Starzein »

I voted for keeping things the same but i did so because im a bit of an elitist, I recognize the rares that have unique skins and i will always complement a hunter who has one but I dont think making that obvious is needed. I believe it adds depth to our class having certain items (pets) that are harder to find or obtain but at the same time having no real benefit apart from the feeling of accomplishment one gets when you finally tame it. By adding a silver dragon or a larger size to me would take away the magic of collecting rares, I am proud of my Aotona on my server i have not seen another hunter with one out and i get alot of whispers when i have mine with me not many people will farm for a rare thats not exotic and gives no benefit above the non rares in the family but add a silver dragon and every hunter who wants a bird of prey will have Aotona or Olm, and for the dragon portrait not because they like the skin or because like me they collect a certain family and want them all or to give themselves a challenge.
Those of us who love our pets (and well we are all on a pet forum so i guess most of us here) dont need a tooltip to tell us what is cool or unique we just need to see the pet, sure you can now get a madexx look-alike in one color thats easy to get but you can buy gold and power level a toon to 85 as well yet most of us still play this game make our own gold and do it for the fun not the end result, for me its about the hunt not the trophy at the end. My unique pets shine because they are unique, not because theres a sign above them that tells everyone "this was hard to get bow down to me".
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:
Rarako wrote:
Sorry hun, I was not trying to sound insensitive. Yes I camped my rares, I was killed by others for being a possible HK, I was killed by others for camping something they wanted, I was killed by others mid tame after tagging my rare, I had my tame killed out from under me many times, I was "late to the party" on some spawns (it was all hugs and cheers for the lucky hunter though ^_^), and on rare occasions I have stumbled across my new pet.

While I like hunting for pets I also wish there were more alternatives to a long haul camp as you suggested making the spawn times shorter, having more pets be obtainable in instances like the Amani Dragonhawks, through quest chains such as Gezzarak, or some other means. I don't like the thought of hunter being SOL just because they can't play very often, it's one of the reasons why I think adding the elite tag in game would be a good idea (also one of the reasons a few folks are on my friends list with the rare they're after and a contact number as the comment). Bliz probably would not like the backlash they would get if they put some "rare" skins in places where it would be easier to get them (see Madexx) because those who have the rares might feel cheated, but if the elite tag was reapplied those who camped would be content and others who didn't want/have the ability/have time to camp would still be able to get the pet skin that they wanted. See? All kittens and rainbows! :D
And I didn't want to sound like a raving, frothing loony but I guess that's what I get for posting before my morning soda. I think the best compromise is a shorter spawn timer and maybe a nice portrait tag or bigger size on the rares.
Yeah. That's all I'd want. and maybe in parentesis below the portrait it says (Rare: Jadefang) or something.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine