Skitterflame, not so hot?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Querl Dox
Realm: Warsong / Nesingwary

Skitterflame, not so hot?

Unread post by Querl Dox »

I'm not sure if this has been brought to attention here yet but...

So as everyone here probably knows, Skitterflame our darling red spider, has her debuff "Too hot to tame" as part of her challenge.

A few days ago I was browsing the strategy for the various lava spider rares, when I came across Skitter. Looking at the comments I noticed that many hunters managed to tame her without the need to take her energy down, some even taming her at 100%.

So this morning, before leaving for class I decided to check on the spiders, and to my surprise I saw Skitter boredly bathing on her usual lava pool. Curious I decided to test to see if the Wowhead comments were right, and to my surprise, I managed to tame her at 98% energy.

What I did was throw a Ice Trap in front of her, pull and cast Scare Beast. Then tame. Piece of cake really.

So I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, because she obviously had the "Too hot to tame" debuff on her while I was taming... actually I'm pretty sure it was a bug. I'm just a bit worried because it kinda defeats the purpose of her challenge. What do you guys think?

Anyway here's my lil' Skitter (renamed Tsuchigumo), I love the fact that she goes so well with my Hunter's hair color. Heh

Ralyne - 85 Blood Elf Hunter - Warsong US / Quington - 85 Worgen Hunter -Nesingwary US
Dragon Cave
Magistream

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Moon Guard US

Re: Skitterflame, not so hot?

Unread post by Serenith »

I've tamed Skitterflame just by hitting scare beast and tame. And all times I have seen people try to lower the energy to remove the buff or whatnot, Skitter has died... and it was due to the buff not going off and the energy reaching 0. Very strange, and kinda silly that you can hit tame while Skitter is being scared (With the "Too hot" buff). It does feel like it defeats the challenge, and it was the easiest tame for me out of all the new rares. But hey, who needs a challenge when you want a pet you like? To each his own, cause personally I don't think I would love a pet any less if there was no challenge involved. (But I can understand feeling a sense of pride for accomplishing a challenge)

And you're right, Tsuchigumo looks very nice with your hunter ;)

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Querl Dox

Serenith wrote: It does feel like it defeats the challenge, and it was the easiest tame for me out of all the new rares. But hey, who needs a challenge when you want a pet you like? To each his own, cause personally I don't think I would love a pet any less if there was no challenge involved. (But I can understand feeling a sense of pride for accomplishing a challenge)
Oh yeah! Some pets I really love, like Deth'tilac, I wouldn't think twice about taming it even if a challenge wasn't involved (but what a pain it was to tame the big guy, haha).

It's mostly because I just LOVE challenges, and when Blizzard added "challenge pets" it was like my birthday, christmas and the carnival all rolled in one! :D

Ralyne - 85 Blood Elf Hunter - Warsong US / Quington - 85 Worgen Hunter -Nesingwary US
Dragon Cave
Magistream

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Moon Guard US

Unread post by Serenith »

As much as I would like to say that, since I like the feeling of accomplishment, the problem I had was people would ruin it for me for certain pets. Otherwise, I don't mind the challenge.

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

That's really odd. I tamed Skitter yesterday but never noticed when (or even if) the buff dropped off. I didn't remember what % energy Skitter had to be under either, so I tamed at something around 46%. By that point, Skitter's attacks were like being gently prodded with a wooden spoon. I remember taming her on my other hunter had been a much closer call - Skitter was eventually at something really really low like 9 energy but was still destroying my face, and the tame completed with me only having 300hp.

On a related note, what is Anthriss' challenge even supposed to be anymore?? The last time I tamed her, I tried finding a lava pool I could "swim" in, and there were none. I ended up being able to tame her just by being able to live just barely long enough - I died right as it finished and she "despawned". Yesterday when I got her on my new hunter, the lava pool thing was a failure again. I only had 114k hp (less than my other hunter by a lot), so what I did was pop a prismatic elixir, deterrence and pray. I didn't have a speed potion, but the elixir helped JUST enough. The tame finished, I died a split second later, and the paladin who had been trying to kill Anthriss during my tame attempts ressed to find his attempts at evildoing had been foiled.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Querl Dox

Swampfox wrote:That's really odd. I tamed Skitter yesterday but never noticed when (or even if) the buff dropped off. I didn't remember what % energy Skitter had to be under either, so I tamed at something around 46%. By that point, Skitter's attacks were like being gently prodded with a wooden spoon. I remember taming her on my other hunter had been a much closer call - Skitter was eventually at something really really low like 9 energy but was still destroying my face, and the tame completed with me only having 300hp.

On a related note, what is Anthriss' challenge even supposed to be anymore?? The last time I tamed her, I tried finding a lava pool I could "swim" in, and there were none. I ended up being able to tame her just by being able to live just barely long enough - I died right as it finished and she "despawned". Yesterday when I got her on my new hunter, the lava pool thing was a failure again. I only had 114k hp (less than my other hunter by a lot), so what I did was pop a prismatic elixir, deterrence and pray. I didn't have a speed potion, but the elixir helped JUST enough. The tame finished, I died a split second later, and the paladin who had been trying to kill Anthriss during my tame attempts ressed to find his attempts at evildoing had been foiled.
I think Blizz intended for the lava thingy to be the "challenge" but the real challenge is taming Anthriss in the area she is, she's the only Spider that's literally in your face, so I'm pretty sure a lot of doing quests there end up killing her just because, or other hunters taming her end up being ganked. At least that's what I think :P

Dragon Cave
Magistream

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I agree, the fact that Anthriss is so exposed makes her a real challenge. The lava thing doesn't work anymore though, according to my efforts and some of the efforts of others that I've read about. That aside, she has been the last 4.2 rare that I've acquired on both my hunters, simply for the fact that she is right there in the open, everyone sees her, thus she gets killed a LOT. And I guess that's what I like about her. Sure, there are tons of little spiders with her skin running around that are easy as pie to acquire (and who are of course just as beautiful and make just as good pets). But I feel bad for Anthriss - she spawns just for people to say "OOH LET'S KILL IT!" She may share a common skin, but she just wants to be a hunter pet! :D
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

This is actually a known bug, (at least I think it is?), where the buff completely drops after using scare beast. I'm not sure what causes it, and I actually thought it was fixed, but as far as I know, it's been talked about at least to some degree here before.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Yeah, Anthriss' location makes me a sad panda. I still cross my fingers that one day they put Kirix there just for giggles. I can only imagine the glorious punting carnage.

I didn't even realize Skitter was bugged and used scare beast between traps, so I did him the regular way. >_> Oh well. <3 my lava spiders. A rainbow of awesome.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Skitterflame must have a glitch or bug or something.. thats odd and defeats the whole challenge really. For anthriss are you sure your in the right lava pool? Its not the first one in front of her but the one thats close to solix's cave so its that second one on the right with the little rock sticking out. Its the only one I think you can swim in, the others are to shallow.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

for the first month or so of MF i think blizz saw that the challenge of the rares not getting killed by everyone was a challenge in of itself.

now with less people there its not so bad. was able to tame 5 of the 6 spiders and skarr while waiting for Solix to spawn. never saw skitterflame in two days of camping.
Dr. Rockso
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Dr. Rockso »

At this point in the Molten Front release now i just kill skitter when hes up for a few reasons

1. Its an ez 25g
2. if you want to tame him there are common spiders that look exactly like him in the same area
3. being this late in the release on the molten front people have been given ample time to tame him if they really want him
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Eh, I beg to differ. Someone might want to try the challenge tame. And there are always new hunters hitting 85.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

I agree with Novikova. My hunter has yet to take Skitterflame, and I would gladly pay someone 400-700g to not kill it. And as Novikova said, some people are in it for the challenge tame. Which is one reason I spent over 30 minutes working to get Kirix tamed...

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Dr. Rockso
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Dr. Rockso »

You also have to look at in this perspective its also a challenge to kill it and some people see that and want to try it and get reward with 25g for doing so. The pet has been out for some time and really 25g off one mob, its a little hard to get mad at people about when the mob has a common skin like skitterflame. I could understand if it was a unique skin but this one along with Kirix and the yellow spider are common.
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

Dr. Rockso wrote:You also have to look at in this perspective its also a challenge to kill it and some people see that and want to try it and get reward with 25g for doing so. The pet has been out for some time and really 25g off one mob, its a little hard to get mad at people about when the mob has a common skin like skitterflame. I could understand if it was a unique skin but this one along with Kirix and the yellow spider are common.
Honestly, I disagree with you. I would pay a lot of gold if I could tame Skitterflame, for the challenge. I also have to point out, that yes the pet has been out for a long time, but I have a friend who has yet to tame Anthriss because of people who gank, and wishes to tame. And also, what about people who make hunters, or other hunters? Maybe they want a Skitterflame for their collection. I get where you are coming from, but I disagree with you.

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

meepitco wrote:
Dr. Rockso wrote:You also have to look at in this perspective its also a challenge to kill it and some people see that and want to try it and get reward with 25g for doing so. The pet has been out for some time and really 25g off one mob, its a little hard to get mad at people about when the mob has a common skin like skitterflame. I could understand if it was a unique skin but this one along with Kirix and the yellow spider are common.
Honestly, I disagree with you. I would pay a lot of gold if I could tame Skitterflame, for the challenge. I also have to point out, that yes the pet has been out for a long time, but I have a friend who has yet to tame Anthriss because of people who gank, and wishes to tame. And also, what about people who make hunters, or other hunters? Maybe they want a Skitterflame for their collection. I get where you are coming from, but I disagree with you.
I'm with Meep. I just got my second hunter to 85 a week or so ago and was very excited to add Skitter to my collection. He was one of the last ones I found. And while I do see your point of view, I also don't think it's a worthwhile "challenge" if you kill him every time you see him (you already know you can do it) when you could just whisper hunters asking if they want it. I am sure they would tip you more than a 25g drop for the help.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary