Something that concerns me.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Something that concerns me.

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

By the time I'll hit 80 on my hunter, I'll be able to start playing with the big boys. Since I am much more into raiding and would rather not do any pvp at all, that is what I will do. Only problem that concerns me is the whole 'wolf' thing. I know that in many huge cases, wolves both BM and MM/SV wise are the best answer to raiding and I will likely run into those kind of people that will say, "Wolf or nothing." About 3/4's of the hunters I've seen in major cities in my realm run around with wolves which seems stale already; I've only seen a few with spirit beasts. I already have my five pets and I have no intention whatsoever to ditch one of them for a wolf even if it sounds like I have to. Don't get me wrong: I like wolves but not as much as I love cats or scorpions. Also, I am planning out my talents wisely to where things should work out no matter what pet I might use in a raid. So I am wondering if I am even making the right decision for pet choices and should just suck it up and prepare for anybody like them in the future. I know that pet choices from the heart are always wiser to choose and yes, I love my animals.

I do hope that if it's true that Howl or a similar ability will be put into the ferocity talent tree for all ferocity pets to have than just wolves, then I will be happy.
Saturo

Re: Something that concerns me.

Unread post by Saturo »

In your sig you have Arigara, and as far as I know Kitties aren't very far behind wolves. But really, as MM or SV your pet is such a small part of your DPS that petchoice will have no effect at all, besides the wolfbuff. Go for the Silithid if you want to, spider if you prefer that, or birdie/wormie if that's your preferred one.

Besides, you can always say that [Pet of choice] gives a special debuff, and that it's better than the wolf in this or that situation. As long as they don't have a highlevel hunter they won't call your bluff.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Actually, I need to get rid of that sig and make another one. It was a sig I made for my hunter is the private server I was at for a little while and those are the pets I have there (name of private server is on my realm name under my icon after Madoran). I really have a black and red spider (not like the one in the sig), Mazz, the bright-blue scorpion, Araga, and an indigo wind serpent. I actually like my wind serpent because he went with me to solo WC at level 40 night before last because I wanted leather to sell for cash, and he was actually quite good.

Also, I am not going for either MM/SV. At least, not mostly. BM all the way for me. However, I meant for wolves to work with either because that's what I read under some person's article about which is the best ferocity dps pet.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Wolves are the best raid pet right now, there is no getting around that unfortunately.
However, that is not to say you do not have options. Wasps and Raptors make solid secondary options, and following them the rest of the Ferocity tree is pretty much on par. Wasps are an excellent choice if you do not have a Druid casting Faerie Fire or a Warlock casting Curse of Weakness as Sting provides a minor armour debuff. The DoT Raptors provide is better than the Cat's Rake ability.
So your top three are Wolf, Wasp and Raptor, with Cats in fourth place followed by the rest of the Ferocity tree.

Hopefully Cataclysm will provide some broader options so not every raiding Hunter has the same pet family.
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

My gm lets me run with whatever pet I want. Granted, we're not hard core raiding, but I'm happy. :)
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

That makes me feel a little bit more comfortable with the situation. I just hope in the guild I am now we have a gm that probably doesn't raid but will do so once in a while so he will probably accept anything.

I don't want to ditch my pets for anything and I am not fitting to make another toon because of the leveling rate. It can take me weeks to stay on one level doing other things before I level some more. I'm not one of those people that can hit 80 in a week. That's insane.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Devilsaurs Are still on top of Wolves for Personal and Combined dps as a BM as far as I know, but really any Ferocity pet will suit you fine.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Like I said in another thread, I raid with a raptor. Rogues like the bleed, it does more dps than a cat, and I'll be frank, I get more dps out of it than a devilsaur WITHOUT annoying the everlovin' crap out of your melee by blocking their line of sight all the time. (Ever since I tried to do HHoR on my furywarrior with a hunter with a devilsaur I refuse to use the bastards out of consideration for my fellow players. Because if I have to try not to die while all I can see is giant red lizard butt one more time, I'm gonna stab someone...)

But also, like I mentioned elsewhere, your choice of pet is not, in any way shape or form, going to make or break your raiding experience. (If it does, your raid group has a lot worse problems than your choice of pet.) So use what you like, imo.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

One thing I have noticed with raptors is that even though I can get them to do more dps than a cat just by bringing him out, the only way I could ever get mine to pass my DS in damage was when I manually hit SR when CS popped, insuring that I got the buff out of it.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Gimlion wrote:One thing I have noticed with raptors is that even though I can get them to do more dps than a cat just by bringing him out, the only way I could ever get mine to pass my DS in damage was when I manually hit SR when CS popped, insuring that I got the buff out of it.
That makes sense. Being able to manually utilize your pet abilities in conjunction with other procs is a skill that will elevate your DPS.
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I've been running around as Surv with a warp stalker for awhile and nobody has said anything.

Maybe that's just my realm, but IDK, if people complain you can ignore or snap back with something.

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

Really Nacht? Devilsaurs have never bothered me as melee. Ever. And pet's in general are a good locater for where you NEED to be, since a pet will always be behind the boss or mob. Put yourself inside the devilsaur, and yer good. Personally, raptors just don't do it for me. My cat does better DPS then my raptor hands down.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Cats always had their prime to begin with. Before LK, they were the number one pet to have from what I remember.

It's too bad my favorite scorpions had to be nerfed. Their poisons used to do more damage than now when they stack. At least one good thing about them now is their poison stacks with other DoT's or at least Serpent Sting so it adds a bit more damage. I like DoT's for a reason.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Any guildie that says wolf or nothing, needs to chillax, go outside and live some real life for awhile.

NO ONE can tell you what pet YOU want to use.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net