Isle of Giants - Populated New Tames (Warning Large Images)

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Isle of Giants - Populated New Tames (Warning Large Imag

Unread post by Slickrock »

Vephriel wrote:
Qraljar wrote:
Danielfboone wrote:I'm actually glad the Pterrorwings are not tameable. They look ridiculous in my opinion. That stupid looking head with the huge teeth and the enormous talons on the wings look dumb as well. I'm amazed that they made the other Dinos look so awesome and failed so horribly on these. I don't even want one as a mount.
Good that you have such a vivid view and opinion, but I actually love these more than all the other models. They actually look ferocious to me. I hope they make them tameable.
They're by far one of my favourite models ever made by Blizzard. I would kill to be able to tame one, but I'm glad I can at least get a mount and maybe the possibility of a minpet. Either way, I love them. :D
Well, they are exaggerated, but are certainly interesting.

I don't think they would work at all as pets do to the wingspan, but I certainly like the idea of them as mounts, assuming they stay with the proto drake animations and not one on the other really annoying flight animations.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Well, they are exaggerated but are certainly interesting.

I don't think they would work at all as pets do to the wingspan, but I certainly like the idea of them as mounts, assuming they stay with the proto drake animations and not one on the other really annoying flight animations.
Their heads look like the snapjaws from Donkey Kong Jr. All the other Dinos on the island look somewhat realistic but the Pterrorwings are just ridiculous. The Un'Goro model looks 10 times better.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Danielfboone wrote:I'm actually glad the Pterrorwings are not tameable. They look ridiculous in my opinion. That stupid looking head with the huge teeth and the enormous talons on the wings look dumb as well. I'm amazed that they made the other Dinos look so awesome and failed so horribly on these. I don't even want one as a mount.
I think a certain alien dragon-creature would like a word or two with you.
Danielfboone wrote:
Well, they are exaggerated but are certainly interesting.

Their heads look like the snapjaws from Donkey Kong Jr. All the other Dinos on the island look somewhat realistic but the Pterrorwings are just ridiculous. The Un'Goro model looks 10 times better.
No, not really.
I hate to say it. I don't want to be "that guy," the guy who gets offended at everything (because I don't).
But I think that you ought to find slightly nicer ways of voicing your opinions. I've glared at your posts in the past when you dissed insect or flying pets (which are some of my favorite tameables) and now I can't help but defend my new favorite model of the expansion (especially since I just made it my signature.)
Everyone has an opinion, and the internet is a wonderful place to put your opinion. However, this is a forum about hunter-pet love, not hate. I am far from innocent in the realm of "not saying anything negative about any new addition, or existing one."
But I'll give you an example. I personally despise undead pets, and yet many here adore them. If a new undead pet were added, I would nod and move on. It's fine to say "euch, those bones look disgusting!" but not to completely and utterly denounce the pet.

Another detail about this: I think it's fine to voice an angry complaint against a new raid boss or design or something. However, for pets and companions and mounts, I urge you to use a little more discretion. :roll:

Again, I'll probably have people who disagree with me for typing this: but I suppose everything I've typed comes down to one old phrase: to each his own.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

All I'll say at this point, as I said to someone in a PM recently:

- it's all good if you dislike a new model. It'd be boring if we all loved and hated exactly the same things.

- but if you post your dislike in an extremely dramatic or abrasive manner then you are likely to invite less than subtle replies. Things tend to escalate from there.

To their credit, most people on this forum see those traps coming and tend to side-step them these days. It's one of the reasons we have such a good forum overall :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

i think those new beasty dragons look totally BA.and though i am sadened by the porcupines spirit beasts i will not go all out on spiting on them.and i think i would have been happy with another cat spirit beast but its just me.glad there are others that like these pets but atleast to you who do love them there will be no fighting from me for one at least.i mean if you think about it be horrible if EVERYONE went after the red serpent how bad it was the day of it relsease.sometimes its best to have ppl just go nah to a new pet that others think is hot so we don't have to fight EVERYONE in the game to get that 1 beast.

relooking at the tames i have noticed not only the stone like dire horns and the whiteish devilsours are missing.unless i missed the white devilsour to.
Eternallylostx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Main is on Wyrmrest, alts on Mok'nathal

Unread post by Eternallylostx »

I think the blue one will look adorable with tamed size.

Signature credit to Ashaine; avatars by various people. Thanks! | Tumblr

Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Equeon wrote:But I think that you ought to find slightly nicer ways of voicing your opinions. I've glared at your posts in the past when you dissed insect or flying pets (which are some of my favorite tameables) and now I can't help but defend my new favorite model of the expansion (especially since I just made it my signature.)
I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Personally I have a tad of arachnophobia and even the in-game models give me the jibblies every now and then. Regardless, I know there are people who adore spiders and they have every right to do so, I'm in no place telling them that spiders are "the worst looking pet ever" and that they should be nuked off of the face of the earth just because I personally run away screaming like a little girl when I spot one. (Actually I don't scream, but that was added for comedy effect.) Why can't someone else get to tame something just because you don't like it but which they might love? Just don't tame it then, and move on to other endeavours. :)

Same thing with the spirit porcupines: To me porcupines in general are one of the least interesting pets in game, so I'm just not gonna tame one and move on. I can't say I'm not disappointed that we didn't get a devilsaur or raptor spirit beast but I'm happy for the people who wanted a spiritpine. It's not taking anything away from me now is it. More variety is always better, right? That way more players get to pick what they prefer from a larger list of possibilities. As it is, we only have one flying reptilian pet at the moment: the wind serpent. (And maybe the chimaera, eh?) Pterrorwings would nicely expand our list of variety in that field.

Now, on the topic of the pterrorwings. I really dig the model for several reasons, the major one probably being that their bodies and animations probably resemble more closely an actual pterosaur. (Take that with more or less salt as the in game one is still a fantasy creature.) I love their colours, all of the colour schemes are wonderful and I can't pick a favourite off the bat. I usually prefer my mounts and pets without the armours, so getting to tame a "wild version" of the model would be really exciting to me, even if we get a mount at some point.
Slickrock

Lesson being you can express love with much glee, but disdain with very few words. While I think people here get their feelings hurt way too fast when someone dislikes a pet, it is what it is.
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Slickrock wrote:Lesson being you can express love with much glee, but disdain with very few words. While I think people here get their feelings hurt way too fast when someone dislikes a pet, it is what it is.
I don't mind disdain, but when the disdain comes with "I am glad this and this isn't tameable because I don't like it" is where I have a problem with it. It's incredibly rude and self-centered. :|
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by ToxicCreed »

Guys, if we are going to rant about things please take it to the Proper Thread Thank you.

I agree with everyone that if you are going to go out on a rant about something to please do it in a more mild manner. I am of the type that I love the Pterrorsaurs as well and while they might not be 100% ACCURATE they are still portrayed just fine in my eyes. As pointed out we have the creatures from Avatar and if you bothered to look through certain Pages Pterrosaurs in general are VERY FUNKY LOOKING! Some had teeth, some had wonky as heck crests on their heads, etc. etc. etc.

Again, if you are going to utterly bash them (And this being on my own thread) I am going to kindly ask you to leave. Do I like certain pets? Yes. Do I hate certain pets? Yes. But do I go out of my way to show my utter hatred for them? No. I don't like the new spirit Porcupines myself (They just aren't my thing) but you don't see me going off on a tangent about them now do you?
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Also, one last thing about the pterrorwings ;) : the teeth are pretty similar to what you might see on a pterosaur skeleton in real life.

While it looks like we won't get to tame them anytime soon, I hope the mounts come from a rare spawn or dailies. A rare raid drop (or heroic drop) would make me sad.
Slickrock

Yoruko wrote:
Slickrock wrote:Lesson being you can express love with much glee, but disdain with very few words. While I think people here get their feelings hurt way too fast when someone dislikes a pet, it is what it is.
I don't mind disdain, but when the disdain comes with "I am glad this and this isn't tameable because I don't like it" is where I have a problem with it. It's incredibly rude and self-centered. :|
Agree there. Also applies to "this shouldn't be tameable because that messes with my RP / view of the lore".
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by ToxicCreed »

Equeon wrote:Also, one last thing about the pterrorwings ;) : the teeth are pretty similar to what you might see on a pterosaur skeleton in real life.

While it looks like we won't get to tame them anytime soon, I hope the mounts come from a rare spawn or dailies. A rare raid drop (or heroic drop) would make me sad.
Exactly! Thank you for pointing that out as well. Yeah I can see that they are a bit wonky but goodness do I love the things so much. I personally love the Red ones (Shocker there right? XD) and the Purple ones as well, they are all just so gorgeous. I can't get enough of them and can't wait to find where one drops for a mount.
Slickrock

Equeon wrote:Also, one last thing about the pterrorwings ;) : the teeth are pretty similar to what you might see on a pterosaur skeleton in real life.

Well, either way, large winged pets are a nuisance in my book, which is why I like the idea os that new feathered raptor model. Really want that one.