Will gnome lovers also love Goblins?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will gnome lovers also love Goblins?

Unread post by Mania »

I'm not a huge gnome fan, although I might feel differently if they could be hunters.

But I despise the goblins. Not so much for what they are as for how Blizzard presents them in the first 15 levels. (For the record, I've never gotten further than that with a goblin. And I wouldn't have gone that far if I could get another character into their starting area.)

The on-the-nose hit-you-over-the-head-with-a-brick pre-determined goblin personality as represented in the first 5 levels especially leaves my nauseous.

Since I don't play gnomes, I can't easily make a game play comparison. But I have a friend who is madly in love with gnomes for their super-cute personalities who doesn't much care for goblins so far. (Although she doesn't despise them like I do.)

*shrug*Just another data point.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

I have NEVER rolled a Gnome. Im not even sure what the Gnome starting narration is. However I like the thuggish feel of the goblins. Very gangster. I have allready got my name reserved for my Gobling hunter. Capwn, or Capwnage
Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

It's really neat to hear the other side, people who aren't liking the Gobbos much. I know not everyone is going to like them- they ARE quite heavy-handed with every situation! They seem quite opposite Gnomes in most every regard except their stature.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I'm excited either way. I thank all of you for chiming in.

I'm a massive Gnome lover (hence the sig) but I think Goblins are going to blow my socks off come Cata.

I love horde so i'm pretty excited about trying a new
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I've never liked gnomes. At all. I won't go so far as to say I hate or despise them, but I don't like them. The females are too cutesy and Disney-mouse like, while the males... Uurrgghh.. They just seem stupid and arrogant to me. And, I can't STAND seeing them zoom along at the same speed as everyone else, while they have three-inch-long legs. I'm sorry, I hate being chased down by a gnome that should be crippled. The point Ikult brought up about helm size also bothers me. The only armor they look good in is Warlock t10, because it's so cute looking, it's practically made for gnomes.
I also don't like the theme of gnomes. The "Ultra-high-tech" over the top-ness of them really puts me off.
Really, I would be happy if gnomes had been wiped out. I think they're still alive because they're like rabbits, you can kill a hundred, but a thousand have been born by that time.

Now, as for goblins...
While I can relate to Mania's thoughts of the "pre-packaged personality", I must admit I simply adore goblins. Heck, I think they're my new favorite race. I love their animations, I love the fact that they aren't pretty, I love their starting zone, I love everything about them! Maybe it's because they have more arm and leg length - I like that they're somewhat lanky. Basically, overall, I love how they look.
And their theme. I love it. It's even better then the undead theme. I really have no words for it. It's simply just awesome. Probably because it's exactly the opposite of me myself.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Cryptography
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dath'Remar, Cael, Moonguard, VeCo, Ness'ary (USA)

Unread post by Cryptography »

Goblins are gnomes-with-handles for easier punting!

I have a number of Gnomes, mostly insane little warlocks. Good fun! I've yet to see goblins, not having any beta access, though I'm definately looking forward to trying them out.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Punt a gnome and you will have a ball, punt a goblin, you will loose your leg due to explosion and the goblin will sell you prosthetic legs at a very ridiculous price.
Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Bellatryx »

I actually agree with Mania. I'm kinda nauseated by the strong narrative in the first two goblin zones. Was kind of over done if you ask me, but then again they gave the same attention to the worgen but I enjoy their "personality". I guess I'm just kind of dark.

That said. I'll have a goblin something or other.. mostly for the single ladies dance. Yes, I am that transparent.

Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Antares »

Thanks for posting here, bell. I lost this thread this morning!

Just wanted to point out a prediction: Bilgewater Harbor will be the new Silvermoon, I bet. For RPers. And just awesome. From screenies, BH looks like Booty Bay should have been!

Huntmaster Blightrunner, <Neverender> Thorium Brotherhood -- lvl 110 Forsaken SV Hunter

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Bellatryx wrote:I actually agree with Mania. I'm kinda nauseated by the strong narrative in the first two goblin zones. Was kind of over done if you ask me, but then again they gave the same attention to the worgen but I enjoy their "personality". I guess I'm just kind of dark.

That said. I'll have a goblin something or other.. mostly for the single ladies dance. Yes, I am that transparent.
You know, I agree with you but... Well, I don't always let the racial zones decide what my toons will be like. If I don't like it (and I definitely don't like the goblin all being painted as greedy, manipulative little buggers) then I'll just create the character in my head and ignore the quest text that implies that I agree with or enjoy whatever they're having me do.

I'm planning on making several goblins, and I am not going to let the starting zone decide their personalities. My Nesingwary hunter will be charitable and an animal lover - and a lover of engineering and explosives. My rogue on Ysera will be sneaky and calculating. I feel like I can take the traits I enjoy from the race and mix them with the traits I'd otherwise imbue my toons with. They're my creations, after all. :) Besides, my own life has been a lesson in being an outsider by being your own self. ;)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Antares »

Sarayana wrote:
Bellatryx wrote:I actually agree with Mania. I'm kinda nauseated by the strong narrative in the first two goblin zones. Was kind of over done if you ask me, but then again they gave the same attention to the worgen but I enjoy their "personality". I guess I'm just kind of dark.

You know, I agree with you but... Well, I don't always let the racial zones decide what my toons will be like. If I don't like it (and I definitely don't like the goblin all being painted as greedy, manipulative little buggers) then I'll just create the character in my head and ignore the quest text that implies that I agree with or enjoy whatever they're having me do.

I'm planning on making several goblins, and I am not going to let the starting zone decide their personalities. My Nesingwary hunter will be charitable and an animal lover - and a lover of engineering and explosives. My rogue on Ysera will be sneaky and calculating. I feel like I can take the traits I enjoy from the race and mix them with the traits I'd otherwise imbue my toons with. They're my creations, after all. :) Besides, my own life has been a lesson in being an outsider by being your own self. ;)
I'm going to make an older Goblin Shaman who really wants to be like the older Horde Shamans, who respect the Elements and not doesn't make deals with them, like the rest of the Goblins. :)

Huntmaster Blightrunner, <Neverender> Thorium Brotherhood -- lvl 110 Forsaken SV Hunter

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

i think my goblin hunter is only going to get big pets. Just to compensate for small size in height obviously.
Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Antares »

Royi wrote:i think my goblin hunter is only going to get big pets. Just to compensate for small size in height obviously.

If I make a Goblin Hunter, I'd get the awesome demon pets: Felcore Hounds, Felboars, Outland Raptors...You know? Really "bad" pets. :) :P

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

A friend of mine from another community has fantastic artwork, and lately she's been on a spree of Goblin characters. Her artwork has been increasing my anticipation for the Goblins, each of her characters has so much personality to them.

Here's a Goblin Huntress by her:
http://aureath.deviantart.com/art/Casimira-166486548

I'd highly recommend browsing the rest of her gallery, especially the WoW fanart. ^^
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Eventually I can see trying out a goblin hunter with my own take on her personality, I suppose ... I'm just miffed right now.

That art piece helps, Vephriel. ;)
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Wow, thanks for the link, Veph. Somehow I adore goblins even more now.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Veph I love that picture, I dont like hyena's much, but thats some nice artwork there. Makes me a bit excited to transform my hunter into a gobliness. She/he is a great artist

Now I know Blizz took away one of the melee attacks hunters had, but it would be cool if (since a lot of ranged weapons have blades on them in some fashion), to have a type of "kack" attack, somewhat similar to a pistol whip (kind of like in the Halo series where you can beat people down with your weapon). Sorry a bit offtopic, just i got the idea from that picture that Veph linked.