Will gnome lovers also love Goblins?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Will gnome lovers also love Goblins?

Unread post by Royi »

I love Gnomes, hands down my favorite class in Warcraft. One thing though that they're missing... is that they're not apart of the Horde, which happens to be my favorite Faction in Warcraft. I'm still hoping for a new plot twist in which in order for the Gnomes to retake Gnomeregan fully, they need the help of the Ice Trolls which then eventually splits them into the Tinkertown Alliance Gnomes, and the Gnomeregan Horde Gnomes... Oh to dream.. :)

Just curious, are Goblins going to be the perfect answer for me? I think I'm planning on faction switching to a Goblin for my hunter come cata, I just don't know what they're going to feel like.

For people who have been able to play as a Goblin, do they feel like Hordish Gnomes? The new racials seem super neat, but I just like the feeling of playing 'small characters'

~i know these are dumb questions but i'm bored right now.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Saturo

Re: Will gnome lovers also love Goblins?

Unread post by Saturo »

Goblins are nothing at all like the real gnomes. Sorry. They're awesome, sure, but nothing like gnomes.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Antares »

I'm a gnome-hater but I love Goblins. Does this count? :P

Goblins are slightly taller than gnomes and you can therefore see details in their armor. Automatic +1 pt. there.

Huntmaster Blightrunner, <Neverender> Thorium Brotherhood -- lvl 110 Forsaken SV Hunter

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

If you're going for that "tiny terror" feel, I think the goblins will do ya will, yes. I haven't played one, but they do seem like they're the Horde's answer to the gnomes... But why not just play one through some levels before faction changing? Then you'll quickly know if it's the feeling you're looking for. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Hmm, it' kinda wierd to compare the two in a way. There's a lot that's similar about the two races, but so much that is different. What's the best way I can put it...
Warcraft Gnomes kinda feel to me like they came out of a cheesy 1950 sci-fi. They use ray guns and teleporters and all sorts of technological marvels to help their lives. Usually these contraptions do this by the most round about way possible (I need to fit into this small hole... I know, I'll enlarge the world until it's big enough for me to fit in!)
Goblins on the other hand feel almost Cyberpunk/Steampunk... or some dystopic variation there of. They're a little more modern, for better or for worse. Think of them as ferengi from Star Trek... only with more exploding things. Don't get me wrong, I find them very fun to play. But they're not just slightly bigger, greener gnomes.

All I can suggest is to play thought the first 10 levels or so of the Goblin starting area when you get the chance. That'll give you a perfect picture as to what they're about.

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Saturo wrote:Goblins are nothing at all like the real gnomes. Sorry. They're awesome, sure, but nothing like gnomes.
Which is why they're awesome, ofc.
Sarayana

Worba wrote:
Saturo wrote:Goblins are nothing at all like the real gnomes. Sorry. They're awesome, sure, but nothing like gnomes.
Which is why they're awesome, ofc.
:lol:

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Well they are both small.....
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

cowmuflage wrote:Well they are both small.....
Yes but gnomes seem so much more puntable... practically begging for a wedgie really... whereas goblins have all these big nasty, uninviting teeth...
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Antares wrote:I'm a gnome-hater but I love Goblins. Does this count? :P
Hehe, same here. x) I've always despised Gnomes, but I really like the Goblins.

In any case, I never once had any Gnome thoughts while playing my Goblin in beta, so I really don't find myself comparing the two.
Sarayana

Well, the goblins are steampunk, funky, edgy, and the very antithesis of cutesy. Gnomes are not. ;)

That being said, sometimes I want cutesy. :lol:

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Moonlost wrote:Gnomes...use ray guns
Gnome hunters? :shock:

Yeah as Sara said, i'm planning on that too, playing a few levels just to make sure i like the characters, I plan on doing 1-10 with both Goblins and Worgen to go through the starting zones...

I really like the "tropical foresty" feel to the Goblin starting area too, Always had a love for STV and ZG.

The Goblin Capital is going to be on an Island isnt it?
Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

I can't stand playing a gnome. However, I find myself loving the overall look and feel of the rough-around-the-edges goblin though. :D
If I don't race change, I'll surely be rolling a goblin alt.

Worba wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Well they are both small.....
Yes but gnomes seem so much more puntable... practically begging for a wedgie really... whereas goblins have all these big nasty, uninviting teeth...
"It's a bad idea punting a goblin. He'll sue you for everything you're worth, bribe himself onto the jury, bribe himself into being appointed Judge, and then bribe your mother into testifying against you.

Then he'll steal your kidney and leave you the insurance bill. Then he'll shoot you in the kneecaps."

That's a quote of something I read in a post (on the subject of punting) on the official forums. :lol:

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Vephriel

Also, original Goblins used the Dwarf skeleton/frame, so if anything you could compare them to those in terms of stature, not gnomes. ;)
Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Antares »

Goblins definitely have the steampunk going on. I would also consider them very "Sci-Fi-y" in that they have cars and subs and ray guns...They have pretty much the same inventions as gnomes...But there's are more direct. Instead of enlarging the world to make yourself smaller so you can get into the whole...How about just making the hole bigger?

As they say:

[Goblin Engineering] If it doesn't blow up when you use it, how do you know it worked?

Huntmaster Blightrunner, <Neverender> Thorium Brotherhood -- lvl 110 Forsaken SV Hunter

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

I still think Goblins should get a +Engineering skill instead of Alchemy too, I think its fair to have 2 classes with +Engineering
Sarayana

I agree, I can't see a better profession than engineering for, well, any class of goblin. :lol:

Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

Well, while I can see why people like Gnomes, I personally never have. I did once have a female gnome warlock who RP'd as a half gnome/half dwarf, and she was a very evil little girl. Very fun, I actually do miss her sometimes. SOMETIMES.

While I like the "small" race idea, I couldn't get past how horribly they outfit Gnomes; the armor looks very small and detail-less, and the helms are just simply WAY too big. Gnomes = chibi anime to me, sadly.

BUT! And it's a big one. >.>

I was thoroughly prepared to go Alliance for Cata, as I have loved werewolves for years. I was afraid Goblins would be the new cutsey, silly race of the Horde.
Recently, a kind friend let me log onto his beta and go through the starter zones on each new race. I obviously did Worgen first, and let me tell you, I was sorely disappointed. Of course it's personal taste, please remember, but I not only didn't care for the Worgen quests / zones, I actually despised them after a while. Horribly, horribly boring. Very upset and disillusioned, I made a Goblin- and I haven't looked back. Goodbye, dreams of a Worgen Warlock; hello Goblin Shaman / Huntress / Priestess / probably something else! The ingenuity of the quests, the interesting phasing, the NPC scripting, the attention to detail on the quest writing, the (sometimes AWFUL) puns, the ears flopping as you run.... Oh my gosh they are so cute while being SO hilariously vicious!

EDIT: I think I somehow got a bit sidetracked into worgen vs goblin.. sorry about that.
On topic, I perceive Goblins as very different from Gnomes. They don't have huge chibi heads, the armor is flattering on both genders, the EAR FLOPPING SQUEEE!, and their outlook on life and attitudes toward each other and other races is VERY different. Gnomes want to be left alone to tinker to satisfy their curiosity; Goblins want to be in the thick of EVERYTHING, learning and doing (and making a profit!) to satisfy their curiosity.

I think this sums up how I feel both about Goblins and Gnomes: While Gnomes pretend to be insane, Goblins really are!
Last edited by Ikult on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vephriel

That's an excellent interpretation Ikult! I approve. :D The Worgen area is certainly lovely in appearance, I'm such a fan of the gothic London vibe, however you're right in that the quests seemed...dull somehow. I can tell I'm going to have so much fun on my future Goblin shaman. ^.^
Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

*chants* Goblin Shammy Goblin Shammy!
Have you seen their shammy totems?! *faints from the awesomeness*