Best Pet for PVP or BG

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Best Pet for PVP/Battle Grounds

Bird of Prey
15%
Spider
11%
Silithid
37%
Ravager
4%
Bat
15%
Wasp
11%
Nether Ray
7%

Total votes: 27

Andiama
Realm: Gnomeregan

Best Pet for PVP or BG

Unread post by Andiama »

Of these, which do you think is the best for PVP or BG?
Saturo

Re: Best Pet for PVP or BG

Unread post by Saturo »

I'm gonna say Silithid. It's got a nice root, which also deals minor damage as a dot (keeping rogue out of stealth, in other words). Just make sure you micromanage when it's cast, it'll be pretty ineffective if it roots an enemy while they're still too far away to hurt.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

Where's the hyena at?

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

If you're not BM, Spider. The web is lovely to hold unruly melee in their place. <3

If you're BM, the silithid. Web + damage + ginormous Klendathu bug running towards you = WIN :3

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

SOMEONE ELSE HAS WATCHED STARSHIP TROOPERS! OH YOY!

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Was like my favourite film growing up! All the other little girls were watching My Little Pony, my dad showed me the world of the Sci-Fi Channel. <3

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Wait a second, chimera's aren't up there either! What the crap? C'mon now, I find it hard to take this seriously when you don't have two of the best PvP oriented pets' on the list.....

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Wait a second, chimera's aren't up there either! What the crap? C'mon now, I find it hard to take this seriously when you don't have two of the best PvP oriented pets' on the list.....
Maybe it's just his/her personal list, and doesn't want a Hyena or Chimera? =) Just a thought. ^^

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Tyuriwen wrote:
Was like my favourite film growing up! All the other little girls were watching My Little Pony, my dad showed me the world of the Sci-Fi Channel. <3
:)

My dad wouldn't show me the Sci-Fi channel, he'd yell insults about "damn nerds", but that's how I became tech-savvy enough to wire the satellite dish trough my room. Whenever I wanted to watch Sci-Fi, the downstairs TV would inexplicably stop working.

Wasn't fun when he noticed what I had done, but it started my interest in computercircuits and the like.

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Tyuriwen wrote:If you're not BM, Spider. The web is lovely to hold unruly melee in their place. <3

If you're BM, the silithid. Web + damage + ginormous Klendathu bug running towards you = WIN :3
I popped in to say this. Well, minus the Klendathu part, since I've no idea what a Klendathu is. I assume it looks like a silithid. >.>

Hyenas are also great, as Palla pointed out. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

Silithid or a bird for me please!

I love the disarm on the bird. It really helps on pallies and Dks

But if your BM the poison web is amazing :D
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

I've been debating this one.. there is no one good answer, as it depends on whom you are fighting.

Do you want a disarm, root, casting-slow, stun, or....

Another way to look at this is see what class gives you the most trouble, and pick a pet to counter what they do.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Hyena's are great for the slow, and still being able to pour on damage from being ferocity. Chimera's are basically better, having a ranged slow that ignores armor on a low cooldown and does good damage. Two of the best PvP pet's you can find because of having slow's on low cooldowns, make's kiting much easier.

As are as this list goes? Silithids. Ranged snare with pretty good damage. I love it.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

/sigh at people that don't know what Klendathu is. Sometimes, we true nerds are few and rare...

Slickrock

As far as dps goes, it's Chimera>Bird of Prey>Silithid

But if I ever find Aotona, the choice is made for me. :D
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

what about hyena? they're my fav along w/ cats & spiders

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Jadvya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US

Unread post by Jadvya »

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:Wait a second, chimera's aren't up there either! What the crap? C'mon now, I find it hard to take this seriously when you don't have two of the best PvP oriented pets' on the list.....
This! If you want a pretty much constant slow and the great-for-PvP Cunning tree, and you're BM, chimaera is the way to go. Hyena, if you're MM/SV, but BM has worked wonders for me, so far.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I wanted to say chimera as well, then voted silithid since I've never worked with one, so...I said what they hey! Click eet!
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I clicked on all of them, lol. They're all good in certain situations.

Bird of Prey - Disarm will work wonders against warriors (especially during Bladestorm) and DK's, but won't do much against a caster
Spider - IMO, great at lower levels, but once you hit 80, it seems that everyone has a snare-breaking ability
Silithid - If you're BM, these are great with the DoT+snare, but again, not as great at higher levels (at least in my experience)
Ravager - Stun is pretty good against anyone, but it's melee range, so your pet has to be right on them to use it, whereas...
Bat - Their stun has 20-yard range on it, so you can stun that caster from a distance. But, it has a longer cooldown than the Ravager's stun.
Wasp - Good DPS, and great against rogues especially. I actually liked the wasps but hated how their butts move when they fly, so I got rid of it.
Nether Ray - Great against casters, not as great against melee.

So, yeah, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally can't say that one is better than another (except for Silithid > Spider, but that only applies if you're BM), so it all depends on which pet will be best for the situations you find yourself struggling in the most.

If I were you, I'd also look into hyenas and chimaeras, as stated above. Hyenas have Tendon Rip on a relatively short cooldown. It's not considered magic or a snare, just like Hamstring, so if I'm not mistaken, the only things that work against it are I think Blink and Blessing of Freedom (or Hand of Freedom...whatever it's called, I ain't a pally). Chimaeras are great for BM because their ability has a very short cooldown, so your foe is essentially slowed at all times. Plus, their huge wingspan could be helpful if your pet is beating on someone that's beating on you, and they can't see what they're doing because they have this big flappy thing in their face. :P Ok so maybe that's not the case, but it seems funny. :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Slickrock

Rhyela wrote:Plus, their huge wingspan could be helpful if your pet is beating on someone that's beating on you, and they can't see what they're doing because they have this big flappy thing in their face. :P Ok so maybe that's not the case, but it seems funny. :D
That's a good point, especially if they are a clicker, the hitbox is huge and you can block them.