Hunter arrows in Cata ... any news yet?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Hunter arrows in Cata ... any news yet?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I don't know if someone has talked about this yet, or if I'm simply really really dense and haven't seen the immense threads dealing with it, but...

I'd love to know how Cata deals with ammunition for Hunters.
I know they're supposed to do away with it... but... HOW?
Do we buy one arrow of the type we need?
Do we simply use a level-specific arrow that appears "as if by magic" in our abilities?
Can we still use a weaker arrow if the need arises? (yes, I've actually found uses for using weaker arrows at times)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Saturo

Re: Hunter arrows in Cata ... any news yet?

Unread post by Saturo »

No arrows whatsoever. The slot is being completely removed, and no relic or such either. Just no more ammo. Cheap solution, but necessary.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

dare I say it?
"eww!"

but does that then mean that Engineers will no longer be able to make ammunition for money?

and that some Hunters will not have better arrows due to having learned certain recipes or having Engineer friends/guildmates?

is there talk of changes still to come to how Hunters will handle their ammunition?

Will it entirely rely upon our weapon, then?

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Since they're removing all ammo completely, no, Engineers will not be able to make them. All the DPS will come directly from our guns. I really doubt Blizz will go back on this, it's a needed change, even tough it takes away a heavy part of the incentive to roll engineering.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

I think Engineering will still be awesome without ammo. There are more scopes to be made for starters (I forget where I saw a list of them so I can't link) and Engineering is just plain cool. Nobody takes Engineering to make money, if you're really looking to make money with professions, Engineering has never really been on the list.

As for how Hunters will handle their ammo, the answer is simple, we won't - there's no ammo to manage. I'm assuming existing weapons will have their DPS upgraded accordingly to compensate for no ammo.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, at least I regain at least three slots in my bags!
(now, I KNOW I'm not the only one who goes out questing with like, three stacks of arrows, 5-6 stacks of pet food, a couple stacks of stat food, scroll upon scroll of various tats... some of which I can't even really use, and extra underwear for when I run into Fel Reaver)

"Step on no pets!"

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

I have no sympathy for engineers not making money off of ammo. No one felt sorry for me when Blizz made my lw quivers obsolete. Or the riding crop. Or the.... Engineers got a buff to their income when blizz started making the engineering mini pets BoE.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Engineers will get to make BOWS. That's a whole new market!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Kalliope wrote:Engineers will get to make BOWS. That's a whole new market!
Yes, but bows suck. Guns, however...

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Has anyone seen any of the bow patterns?
Are they WORTH the trouble?
Will they BE trouble to get? (ie: 12,309,482-person raids against a level 1,000,000,000,000 boss for a .000000001% drop rate?)

I don't really mind the "no make money off ammunition" thing.. I was actually NOT making any money off ammunition, but was definitely wasting all of my patiently-mined Saronite to make arrows for the entire guild.

I really hope that at least a few of the bow/gun patterns are trainer-learnable. All of my Hunters use bows, and it gets frustrating to need to find those quests that reward you with half-decent bows, and to have most of the drops you get on the way be too low-level to be of any real use.

"Step on no pets!"

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Crossbow are pretty epic too, thanks.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Anansi wrote:I think Engineering will still be awesome without ammo. There are more scopes to be made for starters (I forget where I saw a list of them so I can't link) and Engineering is just plain cool. Nobody takes Engineering to make money, if you're really looking to make money with professions, Engineering has never really been on the list.

As for how Hunters will handle their ammo, the answer is simple, we won't - there's no ammo to manage. I'm assuming existing weapons will have their DPS upgraded accordingly to compensate for no ammo.
(I find myself quoting you a lot.....) Exactly what Anansi said. I've never taken Engineering in the hopes of making money, it was always a, "Yay, what odd trinket can I make next?!" type of thing (I've always loved Gnomish engineering). I'm sure we'll get other fun things in exchange, so no need to worry. Besides, mechanical bows does sound pretty nifty (though I'm with Saturo, guns are far better!). And on that note, I just want to see more guns, period. Seems like most end-game ranged weapons are bows or crossbows. I want some awesome guns, man!!!

My favorite gun in the game: http://www.wowhead.com/item=39688#screenshots:id=109709
Mmmm, just looking at it makes me want to stroke its shiny barrel..... <3 Yeah, I know it's not super-fancy, but it's sexy nonetheless.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

Rhyela wrote:
Anansi wrote:I think Engineering will still be awesome without ammo. There are more scopes to be made for starters (I forget where I saw a list of them so I can't link) and Engineering is just plain cool. Nobody takes Engineering to make money, if you're really looking to make money with professions, Engineering has never really been on the list.

(I find myself quoting you a lot.....) Exactly what Anansi said. I've never taken Engineering in the hopes of making money, it was always a, "Yay, what odd trinket can I make next?!" type of thing (I've always loved Gnomish engineering). I'm sure we'll get other fun things in exchange, so no need to worry. Besides, mechanical bows does sound pretty nifty (though I'm with Saturo, guns are far better!). And on that note, I just want to see more guns, period. Seems like most end-game ranged weapons are bows or crossbows. I want some awesome guns, man!!!

My favorite gun in the game: http://www.wowhead.com/item=39688#screenshots:id=109709
Mmmm, just looking at it makes me want to stroke its shiny barrel..... <3 Yeah, I know it's not super-fancy, but it's sexy nonetheless.

...lol Rhy..LOL - I prefir bows over guns arent they making it where a certain profession.. I forget which 1 can make bows?

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Kalliope

Nevar wrote:...lol Rhy..LOL - I prefir bows over guns arent they making it where a certain profession.. I forget which 1 can make bows?
Kalliope wrote:Engineers will get to make BOWS. That's a whole new market!
:P

I do agree with those saying that engineering is awesome beyond its ability to make ammo as well. Parachute cloak, hand rockets, and rocket boots are enough win for me

YouTube Edition

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Seriously, what is with people usig the rockets? The haste is a much better tinker...
Anyhow, yeah, I don't go Engi just for the ammo, the tinkers are nice perks, same with the dala AH. But the ammo was neat. I'd always carry saronite in my bags, same for shadow now. A bit of a shame to lose it tough.

Kalliope

Saturo wrote:Seriously, what is with people usig the rockets? The haste is a much better tinker...
Hmm, I had thought that was more for rogues and such. The extra instant burst from the gloves is nice....and it's what the resident min-maxing hunter in my guild went with, so I trust him. ;)

YouTube Edition

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Well, it's the best tinker for MM at least, or autoshots hit often and heavily.

Kalliope

Saturo wrote:Well, it's the best tinker for MM at least, or autoshots hit often and heavily.
This is probably true for an ideal no-moving situation, but most fights require movement, which favors the rockets. Works either way. :)

YouTube Edition

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I went engineer for exactly one reason: THe rocket launcher.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

As a Troll Hunter, I prefer bows for the +1% crit racial, but whichever gives the highest DPS is nicest!

Have we seen the data on the bows Engineering can make? I'm seriously considering dropping Leatherworking for Engineering.

As for the no ammo thing, this means I get a whole extra bag! Yes, I use an ammo pouch still, 28 slots each filled with stacks of 1000 Iceblade Arrows. Excessive, absolutely, but I never run out of ammo!