Gc on Swapping Pets

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Gc on Swapping Pets

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If our pet dies, can we use Feign Death, drop combat, and instantly bring out one of our 5 different pets in that short window of being out of combat in an Arena Match?
No, because you have to dismiss a pet before you can summon a new one. You also need to rez a dead pet before you can dismiss it. It's possible that allowing all of that in combat is fine since it would take so long to actually pull off and in the meantime you could just have rezzed your pet (or healed an injured one rather than dismissing it).

On the other hand, dismissal no longer affects happiness in any way since the new model is you can swap them more regularly. Your pets just have to learn not to get all emo about it.

Ok I get the fact that if our pet is killed and we could just FD and pop another one, it would make a pets death much less relevant than it should be, but for me, the idea of having to rez your pet, then dismiss your pet, is a rather time consuming and clunky sounding mechanic.

Currently on live, one just uses the call stable to swap pets over, and as one zones out the other zones in? Clean, easy, fast. The whole "you have to dismiss you pet 1st thing" really contradicts their theory of "you can just call you pets on the fly". And as for "On the other hand, dismissal no longer affects happiness in any way since the new model is you can swap them more regularly", Say what?
Does they really think that in live, we ever stopped and thought, Hmmm I don't think I'll dismiss my pet, I really don't want it to suffer a happiness loss. I'll just leave it out and hope it does not chain pull the dungeon when I jump down here. It's really a weak version of a "shit sandwich" as I call them.

Hows to make a shit sandwich!

* Firstly you must have something that's not so savory, this can be either an idea, bad news, or something generally not overly pleasant that you wish to present to someone/s (this is commonly known as the shit in the sandwich)

* Second step is to wrap the shit in something else, aka. the bread. This is often needed to make it look better, disguise the taste, and make it a little more digestible. This "bread" is generally 1/2 baked ideas of things that are shiny and distracting. In order to make your sandwich, you will need 2 of these

*Third, you then need to wedged your unpleasantness (shit) firmly between your 2 shiny things (bread) creating a satisfying shit sandwich that is much easier to eat up.... Nomnomnomnom.

====================================================================
WOW Check It Out ! ! ! Cool New Call Active Pets Ability ! ! !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's really just the same as call stable, but much more awkward and clunky to use
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Will No Longer Have To Worry About Pet Happiness With Dismissing ! ! !

Wow that sandwich tastes GREAT ! ! !

I do get the whole "swapping dead pets" for a live one with the conditions only of being out of combat, a little silly. But why can't it simply be that you can swap pets instantly while out of combat, with the condition that the pet must pet alive, would this not be much easier and far less clunky? (this is pretty much what it is on live atm, swapping the cooldowns for the prerequisite of your pet being alive)

So what are your thoughts? :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Gc on Swapping Pets

Unread post by Sukurachi »

all I can say is that I've never been terribly impressed with GhostCrawler's comments regarding ANYTHING related to WoW.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Shrug, the fact remains that if we're good about dismissing a pet, we can summon a different one in an arena match now. Puts us closer to warlocks, though they can still swap even if their pet dies. Considering that we have a whole arsenal of pets to choose from now, though, it's actually almost a fair tradeoff. Hell, we could even START a match with no pet and summon a different one depending on the opposing team's composition with no real penalty (except maybe buffs) since our summons are isntant.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Since I tend to find the notion of being able to swap out pets on the fly rather cheesy, I haven't paid any attention to the new stable/call pet system. I run with a certain pet, I make the decision as to what that pet is before leaving a town and stick to that decision. I have always personally held the view that Hunters are not Warlocks and we have a stronger, closer, more respectful bond to our pets and as such don't freely throw one away and call a new one on a whim.

So, to me, whatever the new system, it's irrelevant as I won't be using it in my game.
Kalliope

Anansi wrote:Since I tend to find the notion of being able to swap out pets on the fly rather cheesy, I haven't paid any attention to the new stable/call pet system. I run with a certain pet, I make the decision as to what that pet is before leaving a town and stick to that decision. I have always personally held the view that Hunters are not Warlocks and we have a stronger, closer, more respectful bond to our pets and as such don't freely throw one away and call a new one on a whim.

So, to me, whatever the new system, it's irrelevant as I won't be using it in my game.
Definitely agreed on this bolded point, which is why I'm fine with us having to res our pets before calling a new one. It makes SENSE, in the great scheme of things. We're not warlocks and we DO care about our pets. I just like looking at all possible options we have as a PvPer who dabbles in the arena. I do enough bitching about locks being able to fel-dom instant pets...but really, that's no different than Heart of the Phoenix...although I maintain that bringing a ferocity pet into the arena is not the best idea in most cases. At any rate, these changes/decisions mean that other hunters in the arena won't be stuffing their five active slots with all crabs/spiders, so I'm happy. Cause THAT would be dumb. (And yes, there had already been talk of that.)

I have to disagree about swapping pets on the fly being cheesy, though. I'm on a PvP server and I want my PvP pet (Orpheus!) with me before I get to an instance, and a raiding pet (Hector/Atalanta) with me inside. Being able to call stabled pets has made pre-raid PvP a lot more fun for me. It's much nicer not being crippled by having a pet without a snare. I know it makes no difference on PvE servers, but on a PvP server, a hunter has to be practical in addition to caring about their pets, or they're just going to get camped. Were I entirely stubborn, I'd always have my bear at my side, but having a bear out is pretty much an open invitation to get attacked, so I can't do it....at least not unless I'm looking to fight as a distinct disadvantage.

YouTube Edition

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Kalliope wrote:I have to disagree about swapping pets on the fly being cheesy, though. I'm on a PvP server and I want my PvP pet (Orpheus!) with me before I get to an instance, and a raiding pet (Hector/Atalanta) with me inside. Being able to call stabled pets has made pre-raid PvP a lot more fun for me. It's much nicer not being crippled by having a pet without a snare. I know it makes no difference on PvE servers, but on a PvP server, a hunter has to be practical in addition to caring about their pets, or they're just going to get camped. Were I entirely stubborn, I'd always have my bear at my side, but having a bear out is pretty much an open invitation to get attacked, so I can't do it....at least not unless I'm looking to fight as a distinct disadvantage.
What I meant about swapping pets on the fly was a constant switching out, which I should have made clear. Being able to trade out one pet for another is fine, it's fairly sensible and is a nice quality of life improvement. What I consider cheesy is swapping around pets constantly as though they were a potion or gear piece.
Kalliope

Anansi wrote:
Kalliope wrote:I have to disagree about swapping pets on the fly being cheesy, though. I'm on a PvP server and I want my PvP pet (Orpheus!) with me before I get to an instance, and a raiding pet (Hector/Atalanta) with me inside. Being able to call stabled pets has made pre-raid PvP a lot more fun for me. It's much nicer not being crippled by having a pet without a snare. I know it makes no difference on PvE servers, but on a PvP server, a hunter has to be practical in addition to caring about their pets, or they're just going to get camped. Were I entirely stubborn, I'd always have my bear at my side, but having a bear out is pretty much an open invitation to get attacked, so I can't do it....at least not unless I'm looking to fight as a distinct disadvantage.
What I meant about swapping pets on the fly was a constant switching out, which I should have made clear. Being able to trade out one pet for another is fine, it's fairly sensible and is a nice quality of life improvement. What I consider cheesy is swapping around pets constantly as though they were a potion or gear piece.
Ahh yes, then we still agree on that point. :D I don't want to have to swap to a devilsaur in phase 2 of a fight, y'know? >_<

YouTube Edition

Silvarain
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary Horde, Azjol-Nerub Alliance
Location: lost in a dark isolated forest, waiting to be found...

Unread post by Silvarain »

Kalliope wrote:
Anansi wrote:
Ahh yes, then we still agree on that point. :D I don't want to have to swap to a devilsaur in phase 2 of a fight, y'know? >_<
i have 2 disagree, i dont see anything wrong with swapping pets every few minutes outside combat. i love all my pets, but not only do 4 just sit in the stable i must also release beloved old pets 2 try out (and love) new ones. i cant wait to see more of my pets fighting with me more offend. more pets = happydance :hug:
Ron: "Up next, is the world ending? But first weather with Ororo. Ororo?"
Ororo: "It's raining frogs, it's raining frogs. What can i say? Back to you."
Ron: "Thanks Ororo."

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Sukurachi wrote:all I can say is that I've never been terribly impressed with GhostCrawler's comments regarding ANYTHING related to WoW.
This! I find he comes across aggorant/rude and just has this overall I don't give a heck what you or anyone else thinks. But that's just me.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

AdamSavage wrote: This! I find he comes across aggorant/rude and just has this overall I don't give a heck what you or anyone else thinks. But that's just me.
Normally I think he's fine but lately he's been an annoying twit, giving totally empty answers that completely miss the point of the questions asked or just making crap up. I do appreciate the greater level of dialogue he has undertaken with players, but I'd like it more if he'd just say nothing if he has nothing he wants to add or reveal rather than treating everyone like total morons.

I realise the forums are full of total morons, but he surely must know that it's far more than just the forums who read his comments looking for explanations, answers and so forth.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Anansi wrote:Normally I think he's fine but lately he's been an annoying twit, giving totally empty answers that completely miss the point of the questions asked or just making crap up. I do appreciate the greater level of dialogue he has undertaken with players, but I'd like it more if he'd just say nothing if he has nothing he wants to add or reveal rather than treating everyone like total morons.
These were my thoughts on him as well. I used to think he was a pretty cool Blue due to how interactive and forthcoming he was with players, but I honestly think the cesspool of the official forums has just got to him. I know I couldn't keep a positive attitude if I had to wade through that every day.

But yes, lately his responses have been far too irksome.
Kalliope

Just posting to agree with both Anansi and Veph. Before GC started posting, all we were getting were stock answers. We know he's not like that normally from his history; he's just been going more down that route lately. I hope it's just from the stress of meeting the deadline for Cata and dealing with the jackassery on the forums rather than a complete 180 on his attitude. :/

YouTube Edition

RakuRaku
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by RakuRaku »

I think if they introduced a possible mechanic for instant pet dismissal, that'd be cool. Seeing that warlocks get the ability to discard a shard and have instant summons.

Fallout Command
25 Focus 3 min CD
Order your pet to fall out, instantly
dissmissing them. Does not reduce
happiness.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

RakuRaku wrote: Fallout Command
25 Focus 3 min CD
happiness.

?
RakuRaku
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by RakuRaku »

Anansi wrote:
25 Focus 3 min CD
happiness.

?
Lol, I was more or less thinking the command the military uses.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

RakuRaku wrote:
Anansi wrote:
25 Focus 3 min CD
happiness.

?
Lol, I was more or less thinking the command the military uses.
You. Are. DISMISSED!
*Headshot*

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Lohuran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sentinels (RP)

Unread post by Lohuran »

I really don't see the issue here. Of course you should rez your pet before switching it out. It just makes sense. And while it would be nice to just hit another call pet button and instantly switch between one pet and the next, hitting the "dismiss pet" button isn't exactly a stretch and doesn't take you that much longer to change critters, especially when the cast time is being reduced (unless I missed something and it's not anymore).
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Lohuran wrote:Of course you should rez your pet before switching it out.

That was not the issue, and yes,Of course you should rez your pet before switching it out.

Lohuran wrote: And while it would be nice to just hit another call pet button and instantly switch between one pet and the next.

And while it would be nice, we already have the ability to do this on live atm. When you call stable, you can swap them all around, back and forth, and they just despawn and respawn as you call and swap different ones. On beta, you would have to dismiss, call, dismiss, call, dismiss, call, dismiss, call, etc. Its not that this "new feature" is the same as or an improvement on the current system, it is actually more time consuming and clunky. And regardless of how short they make the dismiss pet ability, unless it's instant, it's still a down grade to what we currently have.
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Hopefully they do something to make it easier. Then again it's blizz they have a habit of tinkering around with hunters and only months down road admitting they messed up. Kinda like the huge nerf to BM they did.
Lohuran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sentinels (RP)

Unread post by Lohuran »

Spiritbinder wrote: And regardless of how short they make the dismiss pet ability, unless it's instant, it's still a down grade to what we currently have.
Even though the current version has a 5 minute cooldown? Though I do doubt we'll ever change pets more often than once every 5 minutes in the first place, we are technically able to summon far more pets using call/dismiss in the time it would take for our Called Stabled Pet to reset, if we should have the need.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "It's not THAT bad."

At most, the new system will only cost you a few more seconds of your time, and you are able to use it as often as you like so you are always able to use the best pet for the job.