Thoughts On Volley Removal - Survey

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.

-- --

The loss of hunters having a true "AOE" damaging ability
20%
The loss of utility that the current volley offers - pvp/los/etc.
12%
The fear of not being able to "AOE" effectively - grinding/pet lvling/old content
20%
The fear of not knowing what aoe abilities we will end up having
9%
The issue of the way it's removal was handled
17%
The issue does not really bother me.
18%
Other
4%

Total votes: 135

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Thoughts On Volley Removal - Survey

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Now that we have had time to think and digest the fact that volley will no longer be around, whether for good or bad, I was just curious to, if any, peoples main concern to its removal. This is not about QQ, just for us all to get a general idea of what each other are thinking, as a little hunter community :) .

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Silvarain
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary Horde, Azjol-Nerub Alliance
Location: lost in a dark isolated forest, waiting to be found...

Re: Thoughts On Volley Removal - Survey

Unread post by Silvarain »

sometimes when im out skinning/mining i get jumped by mobs who..., well, just dont know any better. volley/viper is a nice way to drop them quick (and keep my mana) and move on to the next node before some other miner gets to it hehe. i wonder just how the removal of volley will effect some professions now that i think about it...
Ron: "Up next, is the world ending? But first weather with Ororo. Ororo?"
Ororo: "It's raining frogs, it's raining frogs. What can i say? Back to you."
Ron: "Thanks Ororo."

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It doesn't really bother me. I know they've got something else planned, and I'm perfectly okay with a change in direction from constant AoE spam like we have now.
RakuRaku
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by RakuRaku »

Vephriel wrote:It doesn't really bother me. I know they've got something else planned, and I'm perfectly okay with a change in direction from constant AoE spam like we have now.
I agree with this.
Mr. Perfect
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mr. Perfect »

The issue does not really bother me.
I don't really like using volley, since it's a channeled spell. Activate spell, choose ground, stare at magic arrows falling from the sky. Pretty freaking boring after doing some sort of shot rotation. :|
Mr. Perfect - A nickname fraught with peril.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

While I trust Blizzard enough to change multi into something else useful, I just don't see the point of playing to "realism" now, this many years after volley's been around. All I can say is that Fan of Knives isn't very realistic either, so that should also be removed, in all fairness.

I don't really care too much about how the news was released, since that's all window dressing anyway. Provided that Blizzard actually has a true master plan here, and one that is balanced, I don't care if they screw up in the PR department.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

RakuRaku wrote:
Vephriel wrote:It doesn't really bother me. I know they've got something else planned, and I'm perfectly okay with a change in direction from constant AoE spam like we have now.
I agree with this.
Me too. They're not trying to gimp any class, they're trying to make sure it feels different to play a hunter than it does to play a mage or a warlock. If all our aoe is a channeled "rain" then, well, what's the difference? I'd rather have them focus on making multishot better.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Jaraii
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Jaraii »

Also, this brings us away from just spamming a button that doesn't fit the class. I mean, how does making arrows appear in a given spot have much of anything to do with a bow/gun? One thing i thought they'd eventually do is make an animation where the arrows arc up from our raised weapon to the target spot, but oh well.

Due to the lack of AoE situations in cat though, I don't think I'll miss the spell I hate the most.
I know why I'm smiling, but why is everyone else??

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

I'm more curious as to how multishot is going to shape up. I'll be reserving my final judgement on the matter once I see the final form of Multishot.
That said, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little sad to see volley go. Much fun was had shooting magic arrows from the sky as my turtle (or gorilla back in the day) kept aggro on himself.

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Jaraii wrote: One thing i thought they'd eventually do is make an animation where the arrows arc up from our raised weapon to the target spot, but oh well.
I must admit I'd hoped we'd get the volley animation used in ICC by the trash before Sister Svalna - that looked like real volleys of arrows!

As long as Blizz manages to turn multi shot into something that can mostly cover the niche currently occupied by volley I don't mind. In fact, I think it'll take more time to adjust to a New Improved Multishot than the lack of volley. After how-many years of running the mental sequence of "multi off cooldown, is there more than one target, is there a sheep within spread range" I imagine the change will feel a bit odd.
Kalliope

Anyia wrote:
Jaraii wrote: One thing i thought they'd eventually do is make an animation where the arrows arc up from our raised weapon to the target spot, but oh well.
I must admit I'd hoped we'd get the volley animation used in ICC by the trash before Sister Svalna - that looked like real volleys of arrows!
We actually had that earlier in LK, but it didn't go over well and was removed quickly.

YouTube Edition

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Kalliope wrote:We actually had that earlier in LK, but it didn't go over well and was removed quickly.
What? When? How could I possibly have missed that given all the aoe pulls in LK? *most puzzled*
Or was this right at release before I started running instances? Just curious...
Dvatori
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (A)

Unread post by Dvatori »

The thing I'll miss most about it will be no longer being able to contribute ambiance to impromptu discos in IF.

C'est la vie.

Proud owner of Nyx; an Original Grimtotem Spirit Guide.
Avatar and Signature Wolf by the inimitable Ket Shi.
My Squiby Eggs!

Kalliope

Anyia wrote:
Kalliope wrote:We actually had that earlier in LK, but it didn't go over well and was removed quickly.
What? When? How could I possibly have missed that given all the aoe pulls in LK? *most puzzled*
Or was this right at release before I started running instances? Just curious...
I *believe* it was after launch, but it could have been the end of BC too. It was Naxx or Uld at the latest.

YouTube Edition

Kaswryn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: (US) Lothar+Grizzly Hills (A) Alleria+Khadgar (H)

Unread post by Kaswryn »

Kalliope wrote:
Anyia wrote:
I *believe* it was after launch, but it could have been the end of BC too. It was Naxx or Uld at the latest.

Here's a video of a hunter using the older Volley. The comments pretty much explain the "didn't go over well" part of why they changed it ^-^;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jU28lrIcC8

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Thanks for that! I guess it might've been late BC before volley did useful damage and that's why I never noticed it. Comments not withstanding, I still reckon that animation was better than the old/current one. Not that it matters now with the Cata changes :)
Undra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Undra »

There's jsut too much we don't know and all we have to go on is a sudden change with the promise that Multi will be different eventually. Blizzard has a bad habit of changing things without a fix right on it's tails, and even though some of it can be excused because this is all beta, it's still jerking around everyone who is watching cataclysm develope.
Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

I mostly don't like how the removal was handled. Recently the Blues have something very irritating in their tone, no matter what they talk about. Probably due to high stress levels, so I hope things will get better again.

I also voted "other" which in my case means "everything and nothing". XD On the one hand, yes, I think about our AOE abilities, utility, soloing etc without volley. On the other hand, I'm not actually worried. To me, getting freaked out over anything that happens in beta is like crying over milk that hasn't even been spilt yet. And especially with hunters there's so much change happening that it's pretty much impossible for me to know what's good or bad until they're done and I can try things myself.

So, I'll just wait and see. ;)

Lok'tar ogar!

Mockingbird
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub (EU)

Unread post by Mockingbird »

Sarayana wrote:
RakuRaku wrote:
I agree with this.
Me too. They're not trying to gimp any class, they're trying to make sure it feels different to play a hunter than it does to play a mage or a warlock. If all our aoe is a channeled "rain" then, well, what's the difference? I'd rather have them focus on making multishot better.
+1 for this.

as long as they do a decent job giving us a viable tool with multishot, I'm not particularly attached to the volley mechanic/graphic.

I don't PvP enough to need it for LoSing/rogue finding, but I appreciate it's a concern for those who do.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I don't give a poop about the graphics. I DO care that it will make AoE farming a bit more tedious.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.