Page 1 of 1

Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 am
by Saturo
Can it be done? There doesn't seem to be a "Cancel Subscription" button, like for normal accounts, and that trialaccount happens to have a character with a super-duper-name of absolute awesomeness. That I want on another account.

Would I need to send Blizz a mail? Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:24 am
by fatman
There isn't any "cancel". The trial account automatically cancels itself when the trial period is over. The "cancel account" is used to close active accounts (my opinion) and stop the billing process.

As for asking a GM to delete a trial account's character so you can use the name, they won't do it. Maybe you can ask a GM to "give" you the name when a certain amount of time has passed but that's it. I've read that Blizzard GMs can give you another character's name under certain conditions from the official WoW forum. Characters inside closed/canceled/hibernating accounts, even if they're just trial accounts, can't be touched, as per Blizzard policy.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:27 am
by Kayb
You can't.

I've tried before, contacted Blizz and they said it can't be done. I'm sure it is possible for them to actually do so, but they wouldn't do it for me.

I guess you want the name on the same server the trial account happens to be on right?

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:57 am
by Saturo
Yup. Also, I have two US trials, and I'm not sure which one to start payments on, as I don't know which holds the character in question, so closing one of the accounts should either delete the character in question, or leave me with the account that holds the character. If it can't be done, I guess I'll just be stuck without any options.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:07 pm
by Teigan
I have nothing useful to offer, but I'm really curious what the name is?

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:08 pm
by Saturo
Well, you see, I have a level 2 warlock on Nesingwary... Named Saturo...
And if I were to start paying at the wrong account, I'd kill myself.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:18 pm
by Teigan
Understandable! Though suicide may be too strong of a reaction..:P

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:19 pm
by Saturo
Hmm... Guess I could always run up to Blizz and punch them in the face too, but...
A bit far to run, you know...

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:11 pm
by Gala
you could probably send a GM a ticket and ask them to free up the name for you since it is on a low level, inactive character. That was how i got the name Gala when i decided to name change.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:11 pm
by Teigan
I picture "Blizz" as a large white bear. Now being assaulted by a tiny angry gnome. :lol:

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:20 pm
by Saturo
Well, I could do that. But then I'd bes tuck for days without an answer, and they might not even do it...

Either way, next month I might be on Nesingwary as well.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm
by Mania
You may be able to contact Blizzard and ask for confirmation as to which account has the right character or it. You'll need to prove that you started both accounts (e-mail addresses, maybe? the trial codes?) but I suspect that since you want to start paying on one of the two they'll be willing to help.

You may have to spend a couple hours on hold with the billing department to get there, though.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:25 pm
by Saturo
Yah, probably. The accounts are both on the same battle.net, so I guess I have enough proof.

IMO, they should just implement a way to cancel a trialaccount.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:56 pm
by Adam-Savage
I'm not even sure you can delete a normal account. Unless they changed it by now.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:29 pm
by Saturo
AdamSavage wrote:I'm not even sure you can delete a normal account. Unless they changed it by now.
You can, but they changed the wording. It's called "Cancel Subscription" now. It deletes all of your characters, along with the WoW account.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:45 pm
by Adam-Savage
Ok I wasn't sure I was replying correctly as I do recall they wouldn't delete amounts before.

Re: Cancelling an expired trialaccount

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:01 pm
by Sarayana
I'm fairly certain it doesn't delete your characters. Blizz is extremely averse to character deletion since they hope you'll return to the game. "Cancel Subscription" simply places the account in a limbo, awaiting reactivation.