A guide to taming Arcturis!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Re: A guide to taming Arcturis!

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

Hey, new face here. :)

I tamed him some days ago, after camping the spot on and off from when the patch came out.
Saw him the first time I got there, but there were a draenei hunter there, and I'm sure she had camped a long time, so I just congratulated her and started camping myself.

After a while of constant camping, I gave up, and HS'ed. But some days later, I had some extra time very early in the morning, so I went to the spot again, and there he was, and no alliances around. So I threw a freezing trap and started taming. But because I panicked, I stood on top of the trap, so he didn't go into it, and started hitting me - really hard. lol
Had to FD, heal up, and try again. This time I got him.

I'm not sure it would have turned out that way if I hadn't been alone there.

So my advise to those of you that hasn't been lucky yet, would be that you log in early in the morning, and try.
I think when I tamed him, it was around 6 in the morning.

Good luck. :)

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

honlittle
Realm: khaz'goroth

Unread post by honlittle »

Nice guides posted. IMO BM(lvl 80) specced nowdays r really for show!!! As a dedicated hunter having 3 BM specced in my stables really a waste of space. Cant use BM specc to raid or else my butt will be kicked out of the raid for being the lowest dps around! Nope i m not opening a worm of can, cause nobody can convienced me BM(lvl 80) can out dps a MM or SV of the same eqp. Keeping my stables for 3 inactive pets? even though its a waste of stable space, i m keeping my finger crossed tat in the coming game BM can match equally or lesser 10% than MM or SV. So getting another blue bear in my stable? No thanks atm.
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

I have 3 spirit beasts and a worm all are BM pets, right now BM has 0 use though my old BM specc did 6k dps when i was gem and enchanted right :) but ofc due to lack of dps i had to go MM so i got to use my wolfie again i dont think you should give up BM is and can be a nice specc it can do nice dps! just my guild wants me doing 8k not 6k D: though we all play for fun so BM or MM they dont care just since ICC and 'progress' being best specc is nice for your guild as soon as we down each wing i go back as BM :x though the prof has got me in a hard place :/ i guess girls giving tacts isnt welcomed to some ... they one day im not in core group D:
arcturis is worth getting hes rare nice looking and is nice to use :)
i ditch skoll ... yeah nice to look at but i never used him :/ and hes so easy to retame if blizz would be so kind to give us more slots :/ bah back to dating blizz hunter developers!

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

Nice guide, thanks! i'm going to try taming him this weekend after I dual spec BM.

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

BM is fine in heroics and there are actually fights in raids where it will outperform the other specs. A fight that requires a lot of movement and consequent interruption of shot sequences will favor BM since the pet is immune to almost everything a boss will do and will keep his considerable dps going all the time while the Hunter is running around unable to shoot. I am raiding as both MM and BM and sometimes BM is the better of the two. The current Festergut fight is a prime example since not only does the pet keep his damage going while you are running back and forth for spores, but you also can break the puking debuff with Wrath or be immune to it if Wrath is up when the debuff hits you. I do at least 10% more damage in that fight as BM. There is absolutely no way you will do 2k more dps as MM or SV over BM. The max difference in a perfect fight with no movement (how many of them are there?) is only 1k for a highly geared Hunter and that difference can completely disappear in some real encounters. I only dual specced into MM when we started ICC, I raided everything else in WotLK as BM and did very well, regularly beating out the other Hunters in my guild who were SV or MM.

As far as taming Arcturis goes, he's like the other Spirit Beasts and will pounce on you from a distance. I have tamed Gondria and Skoll and both of them jumped over my trap and landed right on me. I managed to keep the tame going and got them but I'm level 80 with all 245 level or higher gear.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

Just wanted to say that I've managed to grab Arcturis... didn't do any "hardcore" camping... just logged my lvl 74 hunter on in the area and checked a few times a day till I got him.

13:35 UK time - Bloodhoof EU

Now I can continue leveling up! :)
Jadesong
Realm: Windrunner

Unread post by Jadesong »

I got Arct a while back, and I must say, I have gotten FAR more comments about him than any other pet I have. The other spirit beasts don't attract nearly as much attention, and few realize King Krush is rare.

I think Blizz fixed the transparent issues that they had with Gondria, and got Arct right.
Max
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Outland PvP

Unread post by Max »

been trying for a while now (6 hours straight) 20h total, still have not spawned! -.-
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

rumor goes twice a day he spawns once in the morning once at night

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Deathstalker
Realm: Illidan

Unread post by Deathstalker »

Hi, All

New Hunter to the forums. I've been BM for about 4 weeks, since the GF has been wanting a certain dress from AQ20 (pink one). So having a spec that I could solo in was needed. Anyways, I thought for the hell of it I just go look around & see if any exotic pets we're around since my week has been full of fail. Wipes in ICC, heroics, loot jacked, etc. So I make my way from Shol. B. & make a round at each spot, no Skoll, no Loque, no Gondria. On my way to G. Hills I fly down the river path that I thought Arcturis would be. No sign of him, so i check the map one last time, head over to that spot & low & behold, guess who's just waltzing back & forth at 2:27am :o I drop down, set my trap & try taming him as I'm screaming in my GF's ears from joy. 4 times the Tame failed even though it finished, :? so now I'm freaking out because if someone comes over & kills him, I'll just end my WoW career here & now :evil:

So from freaking out, after my fourth attempt, my GF states "Uh, hello silly! Did you let go of that gorilla you've been carrying around?" :shock: I hit call pet; stabled pet, move my gorilla to the open slot. Throw down a freezing arrow & let the image do the rest :mrgreen:

First Time Around: Tamed in roughly 3-4minutes. 5th attempt's a charm, Love This Guy! (working on a name) GF got her first chance to give me the /facepalm :oops:
Rethei
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by Rethei »

GRRRRSSSSSS

I almost had Arcturis last night! So i hit 74 on my hunter last night while questing in Grizzly and i just remembered that Arcturis is 74. So i flew to where he spawns and waited for about hour 1/2. About 10 mins before he spawns a 80 alliance hunter flys by and camps the spot as well.

Well when he spawned i immediately flew down and in a mad panic started to tame him....without using a freezing trap and me being a dummy forgot he was elite so naturally i died, with 1 sec left on the tame $^$%^&$%&#^$#&^$#. I rez back only to see the hunter had tamed him.

Grrrrrrssss, been camping his spot for over 6hrs now :/
Props to Karathyriel
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Unread post by Jakkra »

thanks for the guide... I finally jumped on the bandwagon and am camping him at this very moment >_< I think he's the most beautiful of the spirit beasts, and I have a soft spot for bears, since my other main is a druid tank :P

EDIT- plus, who doesn't want a bear that can stealth and sneak up on people?!
Gozu
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Gozu »

:| Forgive my rant but I need to. After hours of camping I was pushed off the hill by some lvl 80 horde who already had a stable full of spirit beasts (he/she sat there pulled them out and played with them behind me). I knew it was going to end in a fight and the bear would be dead.

If someone already has a spirit beast seriously what compels them to get another and another and another. Too much Pokemon? Isn't it like filling your stable with 5 different colored cats? Just so stupid. They are all the same! If you have 2 or 3 already & there's someone already camped out there just have an ounce of kindness in your heart & let someone else have a chance to have one too. Please. /rant
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Jakkra »

I'm sorry you had to encounter someone as inconsiderate as that =\

As for he/she having all the spirit beasts.. it might be the thrill of the hunt (or tame rather) that drew them to getting them all. Maybe they truly are in love with the pets, but they could also just be getting them to flaunt. Who knows. And sure, they do have all the same abilities, but each has a unique look. I personally wouldn't go out and tame them all, but to each his own.

I came across nice and stupid people while camping for Arcturis. Not an hour into my first day of camping, I saw a night elf druid fly over and stop to greet me. I waved back, and they did the emote that asked me to wait. A few minutes later, a night elf hunter flies in, dismounts, and has an Arcturis of his own. He proceeded to try talking to me through the customizable /emote, but it just ends up, "So-and-so makes some strange gestures". He never once tried to attack me, but wished me luck, and flew away. I felt like he was reassuring me that it was the right spot, and tried to pass on some tips.

Further in, hours in, to my camp session, I spotted a dot named "Arcturis" on my map, and dismissed the fact that it was red, and flew down in a hurry to tame my new pet. However, I then realized it was another hunter's pet, and they were frolicking around the hill, probably laughing at me. Very cruel.

Just keep at it and try to not let the jerks get to you; you will get your spirit bear. ^_^
Gozu
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Gozu »

thanks so much for the kind words Jakkra :) I was so annoyed when I posted that haha

I finally did catch Arcturis (yay) after doing some random dungeons I went to the hill to check. He was there no one waiting.

I'm not sure if this is truly a random spawn timer, or there are set times but I'll post the times I've seen him.
From others I've read they have seen him in between 19 to 20 hours spawn times, unsure if this is true.

On Kirin Tor I saw him on the hill 5:00 PM server time Feb 5 (3:00 pm PST), no one there.

Found again and tamed it 5:45 AM server time on Feb 8 (3:45 AM PST), no one there.

So.. if 20 hour spawn it would have been:
Feb 5 (3:00 pm PST)
Feb 6 (11:00 am PST)
Feb 7 (7:00 am PST)
Feb 8 (4:00 am PST)

That's really close to when I found him last at 3:45 am!

He's beautiful, like a bear made out of frosty ice. Although as a utility ferocity pet: At 74 he's not as strong as an equal 74 cat or lower lvl 70 tall strider (poor underrated striders). The way blizzard has tortured us trying to get these rare spirit beasts you would think they are master killers/hunter weapons lol! Nah he's just very pretty. I'm very happy to have been able to finally try one out though. Good luck to all still searching.
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Jakkra »

Woohoo, grats, Gozu! I love just running around with him at my side, definitely a beautiful pet. Try taking him out where there's lots of snow ;) He practically disappears. Have fun with your new bear :3
brenndog9
Realm: Saurfang

Unread post by brenndog9 »

Grrr :x ive been camping Arcticus for ages then this orc hunter shows up, shows off his spirit tiger and gets Arcticus its ppl like that who really annoy me
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

i was just flying around grizzly hills today out of boredom, and i was looking at the beasta and it said Arcturis i was like O.O and i went down and tamed him =] he is very cool, i hope i decide to keep him... lol i wanted nuramoc, but i might just trade out my wolf for Nuramoc and keep Arcturis. =]
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
krinnick
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Elune

Unread post by krinnick »

For grins and Giggles I tamed 5 Arcturis's on my alt hunter decided to name them after the planets, Saturn,Jupiter,Mercury,Neptune and Oort. my strategy is, park yer hunter where he spawns, check it when you get up, when you go to work,school, and when you return from work and before you go to sleep, taming rares is 10% luck 90% dedication. And now the question is, what do I do with 5 spectral bears. hehe, Kriad- /Steamwheedle cartel.
Kitairra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Unread post by Kitairra »

Orni wrote:
infetka wrote:Ah it's a great guild

i'm so sad about my exotic pets which are staying stabled cuz when i reach 80 i switch to marksmanship
i had the white devilasaur, and two of the hellhounds, my poor babies
i so want to tame a spirit beast but...why should i when he'll be sleeping in the stable all the time

i really hope blizzard change smth about BM cuz now it's kinda weak for raid and heroik
As much as I like Spirit beasts ... like my Arcturis.
I think they should instead turn BM into a PvP build, a strong PvP build.

Spirit beasts shouldn't be an own family. They should instead be unique beeings within their family.
This way everybody could get them and they won't be the same anymore ...

I respectfully disagree. BM needs exotic pets as much as MM/SV needs their 51 point "special shots". We are,after all,the pet specc in our class,and unless Blizz goes back on their word and gives us a "ZOMGBBQWTF" uber shot,
we need our pets more.

Better yet,just scale our armor and attack power to our pets. :shock:

Kitairra

Edit: And not all hunters WANT to PvP,and I would HATE the BM specc.
Last edited by Kitairra on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.