Soloing Kael'thas in 5.0.4

kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dath'remar

Soloing Kael'thas in 5.0.4

Unread post by kurasiaa »

I noticed a post a while back concerning the effects on a hunter’s ability to solo Kael’thas once we lose the ability to wield both a ranged weapon and a staff (meaning we wouldn’t be able to have that immunity to all the horrible effects buff; that kind of sucks xD.) So I spent some time a couple nights ago on the PTR to see if I could work around this problem. ( I figure in MoP we’ll have it easy at level 90 with the higher stats) though being a crazed mount collector I couldn’t possibly miss 4 weeks of farming the Al’ar mount haha! I decided to use a strategy which is used by many other classes (so I can’t really take credit for this idea!) It is the very same strategy I use on my Death Knight to farm Ashes each week- 2 chances a week are better than 1 :P.
It is the one where you use a majority of the instance to kite the 4 advisers around to kill them, so that when they are resurrected all at once you are able to face them one by one and not be bombed by stuns and disorients.

I actually wrote 2 separate guides (the first being a shorter version, while the 2nd is more detailed.)... I actually wrote the larger one first, but I realized it was massive so I summarized it a bit into points xD.

Summarized version!

Need:
-Tenacity specced Turtle or Beetle pet with defensive CD’s turned off auto, for you to use manually when needed.
-Beast mastery specialization with [Spirit Bond] and [Lynx Rush] - the rest may be chosen as preferred.
-Glyph of Endless Wrath and [Glyph of Mending] – invincible pet for 15 seconds and 60% increased healing, yes please!
-PvP trinket.

Optional:
-Spirit Beast/s with you for extra heals.

Clear all the mobs from the beginning hallway, Al’ar’s room, and the mobs in the left hand side hallway leading to Kael’s room as well as all of the packs in his room.
P1:
-Activate the fight and immediately exit the room before the door locks. Run to the green marker location on the given map.
- Wait for Thaladred and Sanguiner to come to you, and kill them here (be weary of the knock back and fear, don’t end up going through the exit.)
-Head toward Kael’s room and meet the Astromancer about halfway, misdirect her to your pet (which should be on passive and follow.) Ignore her and run all the way up to the violet marker and kill her there.
-Run to the red marker and wait for the Engineer, kill him here (don’t worry about the remote Toy debuff.)

P2:
- Head from the red marker to the violet, meeting up with the weapons half way. Misdirect these to your pet and kill them all ASAP.
-Move to the violet marker (the Astromancer’s corpse) and wait for the advisors to be resurrected.

P3:
-Kill the Astromancer as quickly as possible, using your PvP trinket to get out of the first disorient.
-the rest of the advisors will come to you; next you will face the Engineer; who needs to die fast.
- Kill Sanguiner when he reaches you.
- Slowly kill Thaladred while making your way toward the black marker.

P4:
-Kael’thas will make his way to you, position yourself and pet like this.
- Stay out of line of sight of Kael while your pet is melees him and uses Kill Command and Lynx Rush on CD.
-You can either ignore or kill the phoenixes, I would ignore them however, as they don’t hurt much.
- When you have seen Kael yell ‘Obey me’ or ‘Bow to my will’ you can safely come out and DPS him as well as heal your pet for roughly 15-20 seconds, don’t push it too long. Before you LoS again, have a fresh MD go to your pet.
-If your pet is in danger but are still waiting for a MC cast, don’t risk running out to heal; make use of your pets defensive CD’s such as Shell Shield/ Harden Carapace, Cower and most importantly your glyphed Bestial Wrath which will make your pet unkillable for 15 seconds.
-This phase will end when his health reaches 50%.

P5:
- Kael will run back to his room, just wait around for his RP to finish (Heal up with a Spirit Beast heal if you need, or let [Spirit Bond] do the job.
-You will be teleported to the violet marker when Kael casts Gravity Lapse which throws you in the air allowing you to swim through it.
-Make sure your pet is on passive and follow while you swim all the way back to the black marker.
-Wait for Kael to reach you and then begin to fight him as normal (no more LoSing needed.)
-Try to keep his aggro on your pet because he can hurt a lot with his fireballs (you can interrupt some of these if you have [Silence Shot.]
-Ignore the phoenixes again and just DPS Kael until the 2nd Gravity Lapse occurs. When it does just put your pet on passive and follow again while you swim away from him to avoid Nether Vapours.
-Rinse and repeat until dead!

Dead boss!
Last edited by kurasiaa on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Soloing Kael'thas in 5.0.4

Larger, more rambley version :P

First up my talents that I used... I probably could have picked better, but these seemed to do fine. I used the Beast Mastery specialization.
The major ones that I would like to point out would be the third tier (the heals and damage reductions.)
I found [Spirit Bond] to be amazing!! It certainly makes a big difference. With the regen now being 2% every 2 seconds as appose to 2% every 10 seconds it makes a great choice.
[Exhilaration] is very nice too, it makes for a great emergency heal (healing 30% of your health and 100% to your pet.) This can occur once every 2 minutes.
Even though [ Exhilaration] is great I still find [Spirit Bond] to be the best choice, if you work it out – within the time frame of those 2 minutes you actually will have 60% regen every minute...So 2x 60% xD. (A lot of it would be over healing though, but the constant ticking of it means you’re always regenerating health.
As BM, if you glyph Bestial Wrath, you pretty much have an invincible pet for 15 seconds; So I think that this makes up for the emergency button xD.

As for glyphs, mine were a bit dodgy since I didn’t have all of them available. I would have to say that the [Glyph of Endless Wrath] is a must have. While your pet can still take damage, it is unkillable while under the effects of Bestial Wrath.
I assume the other best choices would be [Glyph of Mending] – increasing the heals done by Mend Pet by 60%... and possibly [Glyph of Animal Bond] – increasing healing done to you and your pet by 10%. I may be wrong, but just by assumption xD.
The minor glyphs aren’t too important, you can go with whatever floats your boat really : P.
I suppose with Revive Pet only being a 5 second cast though, you could use the glyph of Revive Pet so that you do not suffer any pushback, in case of a mid combat pet death. That or you could just use Deterrence and Revive Pet if it works xD.

Any who, getting on with the fight... As mentioned earlier, a majority of this strategy was not created by me.

Of course you will want a tenacity specced pet for this (turtles and beetles still remain the best tanks due to their shell shield / harden carapace. Note- I always have these abilities as well as Cower or Spirit Mend so that I can use them manually for the best effects.
I also decided to bring 3 spirit beasts with me...a bit much haha! But it’s good to have at least one so that you have some extra heals for phase changes ( think of the transition between P4 and P5, plenty of free time to summon another pet or two to heal up if you’re damaged alot from bad RNG.) It’s great since Spirit Mend has an individual CD on each pet.

I equipped myself with a PVP trinket in case I really needed it, mainly for the 8 second disorients from the mage + Kael. Only use it if absolutely necessary, you don’t want it to be on CD when you’re disoriented and your pet is about to go smoosh!

To start with you want to make sure that you have cleared all the mobs from the beginning hallway, Al’ar’s room, and the mobs in the left hand side hallway leading to Kael’s room as well as all of the packs in his room. (I don’t think you would have to kill Al’ar, I don’t believe he would aggro... but I did kill him anyway xD.)
Also, since we don’t spend any time fighting within Kael’s room you would think you would not need to clear those mobs, though it’s good to do so anyway to be on the safe side; as I have experienced those packs joining the fight while on my Death Knight...But then they reset; a bit weird but entirely up to you xD.
P1: Firstly once you’ve started the fight, you will need to immediately exit Kael’s room before the door locks. You’ve got plenty of time to run all the way to the entrance of the instance... Thaladred is a very slow walker and you will probably end up having to wait yonks for him haha! You will want to position yourself in such a way that when Thaladred arrives he won’t knock you backwards right out of the instance; having your back against a wall is fine.
Once he is dead all you need to do is wait some more for Lord Sanguiner to arrive (He will come faster since he runs at a faster pace.) Again you need to make sure you don’t get feared out of the instance haha.

Right after Sanguiner is killed you need to start heading back toward Kael’s room to meet up with Grand Astromancer Capernian, Note- It’s good to use Aspect of the Cheetah here to speed things up a bit.
By the time you meet the mage you will probably be entering the hallway after Al’ar’s room; misdirect her to your pet (which should be on passive so that it follows you) and continue all the way up to the tiny hallway right before Kael’s room. Lean right against the locked doorway till the mage follows you into the hallway and kill her (Don’t worry if you get disoriented, it won’t kill you xD.)
Next you need to run to the red marker on my map and kill the engineer there. Either you or your pet will end up with the Remote Toy debuff but it isn’t too much of a worry.
P2:
Its weapon time now! Run back toward Kael’s room and when you meet with the weapons target the Cosmic Infuser and multishot to misdirect them all to your pet. Just kill them as fast as you can, once that’s done move to the Astromancer’s corpse and wait for her to be resurrected.

P3:
When the mage has been resurrected just smash her ASAP! The Engineer will arrive soon and you will need to kill him quite quickly too. Again you will probably have another Remote Toy debuff, but that’s okay. Next up Sanguiner will arrive, he should go down pretty easily. Finally Thaladred will reach you, work on him slowly while making your way toward the black marker on my map.

P4:
The moment Thaladred dies or when P3 ends Kael’thas will come for you ( You will want to avoid still having any advisor’s up when Kael comes though... not good!
You may wonder why I chose this placing in particular to kill Kael- I chose this spot due to the low roofing (Sometimes when he casts Gravity Lapse he likes to leave you to plummet to your death; but if the roof is low you cannot get thrown very high, thus avoiding a heck of a lot of fall damage :D. There is a hallway rightoutside his room also has this low roof; I experimented fighting here... but he actually ended up teleporting me back into that room when he used Gravity Lapse... and so I ended up separated from my pet. This was no good, so I like to take the safe side and fight further down. Not only that, but it gives me a little more breathing space and preparation time between the transitions from P3- P4 and P4- P5.

Any who, Kael’thas will head your way, you want to position your pet something like this while you hide around the corner out of sight of Kael... (Yes this screenshot is from the closer hall way, but you get the idea: P
Thing is, with no staff you will often get disoriented for 8 seconds, but as long as you aren’t in sight of Kael and he doesn’t aggro onto you, you should survive fine. Sometimes he will randomly run to you though, so it’s good to have your finger over the Feign Death button just in case he does. If you see him coming you’ll have to press it damn fast to avoid any accidental mind controls!
Basically what you do here is just stay out of line of sight of him while using your pets Kill Command and Lynx Rush on cooldown, this allows at least some damage to continue while you’re standing there waiting. You can either ignore the phoenixes or kill them, they don’t do much damage at all.
When he yells ‘Obey me’ or ‘Bow to my Will’ this means he has casted mind control and that it is safe for you to come out from the wall and DPS him for around 20 seconds ( I believe it’s 30 seconds all up, but I try to avoid staying out too long just in case.) Rinse and repeat this until Kael is at 50% health; it shouldn’t take you long if your pet is attacking and using Kill Command.

P5:
upon reaching 50% Kael’thas will run back to his room to start his little RP floaty air thing =P, so you have a lot of time to kill any remaining pheonixes. If you need any heals you can always pop out a spirit beast and heal up, but if not then [Spirit Bond] will take care of it. Once he has finished Kael will head back toward you... but when he reaches roughly the area you killed the Astromancer he will cast Gravity Lapse. This will teleport you to his location but just swim away ASAP and make sure your pet is on passive and on follow to avoid nasty Nether Vapours!! Keep going until you’re back to your previous location. No more mind controls here so you can DPS him freely (you will still be disoriented though – remember to use your PVP trinket wisely!)
You will probably have a second gravity lapse, but you know what to do. Just swim away once again with your pet being switched back to passive and follow. Rinse and repeat and you should have a dead boss!

I did actually think of another thing that could be done, for P4 you could actually equip and use the Staff of Disintegration. This would mean no disorients, but the phase may go for a tad longer; you could just hide behind the wall most of the time and let your pet eat away at the boss, popping out to heal him during safe times ( only after you know a MC has just been casted. ) While you’re behind the wall and your pet looks in danger, remember you’ve got 3 CD’s, Shell Shield / Harden Carapace, Cower and the invincible pet button Bestial Wrath! Also Readiness is handy too if you need a second emergency Wrath.
Last edited by kurasiaa on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

This is pretty cool! I didn't even realize he could be soloed. Thought you needed at least three people to do it.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

great guide. i wonder if he will be very trivial to solo when you're level 90

i dislike all the mechanics for that fight though, way to complex for a simple mind like me
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Eh... I tried many times before the patch, and the best I got was his second Gravity Lapse. Then, my pet accidentally ran to him, got low health debuff, died, and Kael'Thas murdered me.

I'll just wait until I'm level 90 :P
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Where's the 'thumbs up' button when I need it? :)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSMzW1byN8

Kripparrian did it some time ago, without even leaving the guy's room... but you know, it's Kripp :P

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

*checks date on vid* That's definitely way before 5.0.4, which is Kurasiaa's goal here, since that's the patch that strips melee weapons from us. :)

Well done, Kura! I didn't realize that his room no longer locked. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

:hug: I love you for this guide. Think I'll try this out tomorrow :D

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Hehe yay i'm glad the guide is useful :D
-And yeah it was doable within his room ( it may still be, though I'm quite fearful of all those CC's at once haha!) I used to fight him each week in the one room, hoping to see the mount drop before the patch hit, though I didn't :(.
A light bulb came to me though! I thought ' Why not try the strategy that many of the other classes use!' and it worked quite well :D.
I'm really happy to know that it can still be done, I do wonder what it will be like in MoP though; will it be much, much easier ? xD

EDIT: Oh yeah @Kalliope - The room actually does still lock, but not right away, so you've got time to escape, it's surprising the whole encounter doesn't reset by running so far away xD.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I've tried doing it like Kripparian, and pet bugs out on the statue every time. Going to see if my wrist lets me try a different spot in the room tonight, or I might play with this strategy a bit.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Oh gosh.. I had the same problem! More then 50% of the time my pet would go nuts at that statue! Ignoring any commands given; was pretty yucky haha :(. The other times he would be fine and do as I told, it's a bit weird xD.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

I got him to the very last phase this way!

...And then he dropped me to death. :( *heads to Stormwind to get consumables and the PvP trink she, er, forgot*
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Tumblr!

kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Oh poo :(, ever since 4.3 hit he's been finding it quite funny to drop people to their deaths, so rude haha!
So for the past few months ( which have been in the one room of his) I've just been using Disengage before hitting the ground; doing this seems to reactivate the whole flying/ swimming/ air thing most of the time :P but even if it fails to do so, it would save you from fall damage if used at the right time xD.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'll try and remember that, since it seems to be my sole cause of death in that phase--this attempt I just finished he took me from nearly-full to nearly-nothing...just from tossing me up high and 'forgetting' to catch me. I was doing good this time, too! Even had time to wipe out all the phoenixes before he got finished starting phase 5.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

With disengage in p5 you counter the "drop randomly to your death part' Somehow the skill triggers the swimming stuff so you wont fall to your death after being thrown up :)

I have been using this in the current situation when fighting him in own room. after he trows me up and i get fall down again I use it when I am still quite above the ground. saves you time from swimming away from him again :P
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Yeah, I tried that, and it works decently. I even thought I'd get him down this time! But I kind of forgot about Nether Vapors and he nuked my pet.

So I sat there and had myself a little shoot-out with Kael'thas.

He won. At 3%.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Oh gosh, low percent wipes are the worst D:, but you're getting closer!
I remember a while back when I was first learning to solo him, my very first time into phase 5; I totally forgot about the vapors and my pet got squished... needless to say, it took me many, many more attempts to make it back to P5. I will never forget those vapors now haha xD
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'm looking forward to servers being back up something fierce, I tell you. I had forgotten the buff that Spirit Bond gets by becoming a talent! 2% every 2sec is much nicer than every 10sec.

Lack of staff use might make for a bit of a backslide, but I'll get there.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

kurasiaa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Oh yes, I am quite excited for the new patch to go live! I'm overjoyed at how great Beast Mastery is looking :D, it'll be so much fun to raid with it again! Another thing I'm loving is that we won't have that limited range anymore ( Though I kept forgetting about it on the PTR and often found myself flailing around to get distance again..then remembering; It'll take some getting used to haha xD.

Oh and I'm imagining all the possibilities of Stampede..especially with it glyphed to make 5 copies of your pet... 5 Loques *squeeee*....or 5 rompin stompin King Krushes!