Is it POSSIBLE to play a Hunter....

Hisae
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Is it POSSIBLE to play a Hunter....

Unread post by Hisae »

....as a mage?

Got this theme in mind but wanted to run it by my fellow hunters and see what you think? I want a mage but I've forgotten how SQUISHY they are. (Trying out a pandaren mage right now.I am loving the pandaren robes they get and I really do want Dragonwrath, but if I can't learn to play one again that legendary staff is out of the question.)

I started thinking that can a hunter be a mage/summoner type? What pets would be good suggestions for Mage/summoner like powers? This is new territory and I'm trying to not think of Final Fantasy or any game I love that has summons/magic abilities so I can be my own ORIGINAL hunter/mage/summoner. :)

Thank you! :hug:
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: Is it POSSIBLE to play a Hunter....

Unread post by Krysteena »

Well. If you wanted a hunter that focused more on summoning could I recommend a blood elf? They're all magicky and that. For pets, I reckon the rune dogs, corehounds and mana serpents would be good candidates.

So you could have a blood elf who was once a hunter. Something happened and she lost her pet, and it caused her to go to the darker side of her society. Some things happen and she focuses on summoning. However, unlike the demons her other pupils summon she summons beats that she twists and bends to her will, forcing them to serve her. Her hunter past makes an appearance, and she perhaps bonds with one or two of the beasts she summons? So instead of twisting them to her will they stay by her side by choice?

I'm tired, so can't explain things well. I'll rethink it during the boring classes tomorrow for you :lol:
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Spirit Beasts and potentially various spectral, elemental-y, and gem beasts would look cool as well, in addition to those Kayro suggested. For transmog, it should be relatively easy enough to find a good mog that makes you look somewhat like a mage. Though tbh you might look more like a shaman instead. I'm not really sure of all that's out there that could come together to make such an outfit to suggest anything unfortunately but Mogit is an amazing addon that can help you if you don't already know of/use it :3

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Seconding the pet suggestions so far. Any spirit beast would look great, as well as drakeadons, the white core hound, arcane serpents and rune dogs. The gem owls could look neat too, like the sapphire one. You could also use pets that use magical attacks; wouldn't fit the summoning idea that well, but they would still have an affinity to magic. Chimeras, dragon hawks and wind serpents to name a few.

You can do a lot with transmog. I haven't really looked through many weapons lately (and I'm not on my computer right now) but I know there are quite a few bows and crossbows with nice looking magical effects. There are also quite a few kilts you can use; since you're going for a Mage look and we can't use robes, kilts are a pretty nice alternative even if the choices are limited. I think the frozen forest kilt is the most Mage-like and would be a great item to build a set off of.

I recommend the add on mogit for putting together a set if you don't already have it :D
Last edited by Lupen202 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Olm the Wise and other gem-like owls would probably work really well. I think i recall seeing an olm style skin flying around the mage tower in hellfire or something. such birds are often associated with magic ^.^
spirit beats of course- perhaps a chrome hound? I also support the suggestion of arcane serpents and rune dogs. other possible choice could be hunched/gem cats, glowing rune crab, dragon hawk, shale spider and fire spider.

less likely choices could include: outland basilisk, nether ray, moth, spore bat, fox and maybe even a chimera- if your mage is into keeping experiments-gone-awry as pets.

also if you keep an eye out for shaman kilts you could probably make build up an xmog set that makes it look like you are wearing a robe. :)