Ashenvale's Ghostpaw Runner... spirit wolf ability....

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Ashenvale's Ghostpaw Runner... spirit wolf ability....

Unread post by Pent »

I am not sure if this is on the live servers or not, but I could not find anythig about it anywhere so I'll ask (or inform) people here.

I was playing the beta and I was flying around Southern Darkshore just looking to see if I saw any striders (or the Strider Clutchmother) around.... I didn't find any striders anywhere I looked in Darkshore but as I was flying back to Zoram'gar Outpost I noticed something very strange...

I am sure most of you know about the Ghostpaw Runner wolf model in Ashenvale and how it is REALLY white... well... what I saw was a Ghostpaw Runner fighting a Wild Buck and when the Runner started to lose health it morphed in a Spirit Wolf. I noticed the skill, "Ghostform", it used and it said, "Additional Abilities Unlocked".

So I did what any normal hunter would do... I jumped off of my mount and knew I had no time (or the hate I needed) to tame, so I threw a Beast Lore at it... tameable. As soon as the NPC fight was over the wolf turned back into the regular Runner skin.

So I waited...

Finally after 15min or so I saw another fight going on and as soon as the wolf changed I threw a Tame Beast at it to get some hate (I couldn't hit it or it would probably die from one hit), cancelled the Tame, shot the Buck, and then put Tame Beast back on the spirit wolf... ...now my heart was racing.

Well... as soon as it was tamed it reverted back to its original skin... :cry:

So I abandoned it and went on my way...

I am only posting here about it to let people know about the morphing and to see if anyone else has heard of that.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... 184418.jpg
Last edited by Pent on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Ebonrook
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US)

Re: Ashenvale's Ghostpaw Runner... spirit wolf ability....

Unread post by Ebonrook »

Oh man... Blizzard seems pretty intent to flaunt all these ghost wolf mobs in front of us. Good try though, Pen, and thanks for sharing.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Why do they insist on doing that? /sigh
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wow, great find! Even if it didn't turn out to be a tameable ghost wolf, I still commend you on testing that out. :) I think the fact that they have such a transformation is very interesting and worth keeping tabs on regardless.
Hawkshadow
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by Hawkshadow »

did you by chance try the trick that was used when the worgen tameable? have to be surv spec for the sleep shot. figure out what % health he morphs at, put him to sleep then time your tame so the second he is tamed is when he morphs into ghost wolf. not sure if it will work and you will prob have to use low level spells.....and prob a low level bow >.>

test it out and see tho =D
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

ive never seen it... something to look into for sure!
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

i wonder if they did that to see if anyone would notice and find a way to tame it with that skin?
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Hawkshadow wrote:did you by chance try the trick that was used when the worgen tameable? have to be surv spec for the sleep shot. figure out what % health he morphs at, put him to sleep then time your tame so the second he is tamed is when he morphs into ghost wolf. not sure if it will work and you will prob have to use low level spells.....and prob a low level bow >.>

test it out and see tho =D

I'll leave that up to someone else. I did tame the worgen back then and it was a pain.

My hunter is L.80 so even if I threw pebbles at it it would probably die in two hits, but I am sure a L.20 hunter could mess with it and figure it out.

Here is something to think about... if it does work Blizzard would probably let you keep it considering I don't foresee the Spirit Wolf becoming a playable race in the near future.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Or easier way; Hibernate-damage-hibernate-damage-hibernate. Sleeping an animal afik produces no further threat or pulls the mob off the hunter, aslong asd the hunter whacks away.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I wonder if they are place holders and the wolves in live will eventually be the ghost wolves... But it seems unlikely.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

mpd_84 wrote:i wonder if they did that to see if anyone would notice and find a way to tame it with that skin?
Hah! I wouldn't be surprised... >.>

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I'm still curious about the ghost wolf that was spotted in the worgen starting zone...if it's like a Tauren spirit guide or if it's a tameable pet. Seeing these wolves take on a ghost wolf form really makes me wonder if Blizzard is toying with us...

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Kalliope wrote:I'm still curious about the ghost wolf that was spotted in the worgen starting zone...if it's like a Tauren spirit guide or if it's a tameable pet. Seeing these wolves take on a ghost wolf form really makes me wonder if Blizzard is toying with us...
Hmm... I have been through the Worgen zone twice almost.

Worgen Rogue all the way through til it warps me out, and Worgen Hunter to about half way through...

I have never seen the ghost wolf there unless I am just not remembering it... which is a good possibility considering what else I have been doing on the beta.

Kalliope

pentupanger wrote:
Kalliope wrote:I'm still curious about the ghost wolf that was spotted in the worgen starting zone...if it's like a Tauren spirit guide or if it's a tameable pet. Seeing these wolves take on a ghost wolf form really makes me wonder if Blizzard is toying with us...

Worgen Rogue all the way through til it warps me out, and Worgen Hunter to about half way through...

I have never seen the ghost wolf there unless I am just not remembering it... which is a good possibility considering what else I have been doing on the beta.
There was a brief video link posted in the foxes thread that does indeed appear to have a ghost wolf tossed into the background of it.

It could just be part of a quest or something.

YouTube Edition

Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

maybe you have to punch it and when it changes when you have agro tame it :P
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Kalliope wrote:
pentupanger wrote:

There was a brief video link posted in the foxes thread that does indeed appear to have a ghost wolf tossed into the background of it.

It could just be part of a quest or something.
Ahh, I just watched the video and I remember it now. Sadly it isn't tameable... especially since the area it is in is an instance (not dungeon... think DK starting area).

It is a NPC that you talk to in order to complete a quest and start a new quest.

Kalliope

pentupanger wrote:Ahh, I just watched the video and I remember it now. Sadly it isn't tameable... especially since the area it is in is an instance (not dungeon... think DK starting area).

It is a NPC that you talk to in order to complete a quest and start a new quest.
Thanks for confirming that - and bummer. -_-

YouTube Edition

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Did you happen to notice whether or not this wolf had an ability in its spell book to reflect it turning into a ghost wolf? Cold it be a new wolf ability?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Makoes wrote:Did you happen to notice whether or not this wolf had an ability in its spell book to reflect it turning into a ghost wolf? Cold it be a new wolf ability?
^^^ This. Maybe it's an ability when it's in battle like furious howl, spirit strike, etc.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kalliope

http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=78837 and http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=78703 seem to indicate that it's a cosmetic change only at this time.

YouTube Edition