Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kateri
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 am
Realm: Thunderhorn

Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Kateri » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49 am

i was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about them adding more slots to our stables? with 4.2 i already have almost all of my slots filled in my stable, and i only have one non rare pet (my oil coated wolf for crit buff because its the closest i can get to a rare wolf that i dont have to be BM to use)

User avatar
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:06 pm
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders
Gender: Female
Location: Tumblr, probably.
Contact:

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Aeladrine » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:24 am

No one knows yet, but if they do you can rest easy knowing that it will be all over these forums the second someone finds out. 4.3 isn't even out on the PTR yet, however, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the news.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Image
Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog


Kateri
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 am
Realm: Thunderhorn

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Kateri » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:06 am

very true. Thank you for the reply :-)

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:43 am
Realm: Lightbringer
Location: Over there <--

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Yaone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:12 am

It only took em a few years to get what we got, but I would be eternally grateful if they did this.

User avatar
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 am
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore
Gender: Female

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Lupen202 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 am

Lol, it's funny how when we finally get more stable slots it still isn't enough for us xD.

Image
Neiara - Vulpera hunter - Burning Blade (US)

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |


User avatar
Royi
 
Posts: 3688
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:08 pm
Realm: Ysera
Location: Under a Rock

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Royi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 am

Yeah no news yet. Search "stable slots" or something like that and you'll find a lot of topics on this matter and the debate over it (amongst hunters).

IMO - 25 is more than enough. Otherwise there would be many cases that the Azeroth Animal Control would have to be called in for Pet-Hoarding ~ Spinoff Reality TV show would then be created of course...
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~

User avatar
Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 am
Realm: Baelgun
Gender: Male
Location: Haddonfield, IL

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Gelannerai » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:59 am

I certainly hope they will, given the rate of new species/rare spawns that Blizzard churns out (especially if they continue the trend of the rares in 4.2 being extremely Hunter-specific).

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by CrystalKitten » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18 am

I hope that they don't. Just because then, what's the point of having limited spots anyways? Also, it's bound to take up server resources. How many people will just collect pets, taking up resources, and possibly bogging down servers, just because now we can have many many pets?

My hunter has been around forever (literally, since I think a few weeks after release), and I don't even have one whole page filled up yet. Even already... I don't use all my pets as much as I'd like. I think I need to start a nice rotation system. Probably start rotating one of my spirit beast slots out every so often so that my other friends can come out and play (for the moment, I like having an empty spot, "just in case").

Think of it really though, do you really NEED 30-40 pet slots? How many people would actually use that many? The current number could be logical. It gives you enough slots to get almost every special pet ability, allowing us to be versatile, and/or have a few different specs. I think the only way they'd need to add more spots, is if they add more families, which have completely unique special abilities. And even then, only enough so we can keep being as versatile as we are with our pets.

Even if you like collecting... Collect screenshots or something instead. Afterall, if you're just going to camp it in order to use it for a week, then stable it indefinitely when the novelty wears off, or you find something else shiney, is there really much of a difference between camping for a pet, and camping for a screenshot? heh.
Image
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave

User avatar
Airwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:26 pm
Realm: Scarlet Crusade (A)
Gender: Female

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Airwyn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:29 pm

I just want 30. Then I'll be happy I swear!

Image

Airwyn on Scarlet Crusade US

Amazing sig made by Ashaine! Thank you!


talonkylor
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:28 pm
Realm: Drenden
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by talonkylor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Airwyn wrote:I just want 30. Then I'll be happy I swear!
Ish... lol

User avatar
wickedhunter
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 am
Realm: gorgonnash
Gender: male

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by wickedhunter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:16 pm

they should make it so we can have as many pets as we want considering pets is a HUGE!!! part of our class. Pets is the main reason i went with being a hunter to begin with

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by CrystalKitten » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:46 pm

wickedhunter wrote:they should make it so we can have as many pets as we want considering pets is a HUGE!!! part of our class. Pets is the main reason i went with being a hunter to begin with
I disagree... every pet probably takes up a sizeable amount on the server (at least.. considering you'd then have let's say an average of 50 pets per hunter.. and thousands of hunters per server.. that could end up being WELL over millions of pets taking up space). And now, those pets have other data saved with them as well, unlike the very very early stages... We have their names, as well as their specs, and who knows what else might be stored in the database. Honestly.. if we could have as many pets as we wanted..I just.. can't even describe how that would make me feel, heh.

Honestly though, why would you NEED endless pets? You couldn't possibly use them all. In which case you'd just be collecting them to say you had/have them... in which case my "tame for an hour, screenshot, and set free" idea is much better... In that instance y ou can say "I took the challenge/time to camp and tame it! And look! I collected them all!" without hogging up resources on the server, or having endless numbers of unused pets in your stable...

I honestly think that blizz should decide that unless they add a significant number of new families with unique abilities, they'll not add any more slots. And announce it... I mean.. if you REALLY have to collect them all.. You can always just make another hunter!
Image
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave

User avatar
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm
Realm: WrA
Gender: Irrelevant
Location: Internet

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Nubhorns » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 pm

I think this can be merged/directed towards the PTR thread concerning the same topic. :) There are some very good arguments put forth for both sides on that thread - as well as some good information.

We have no official word on more pet slots, though, nor do we really know how easy/difficult it is - the best you can do is contribute your 2 cents and wait.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||


User avatar
wickedhunter
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 am
Realm: gorgonnash
Gender: male

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by wickedhunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 am

CrystalKitten wrote:
wickedhunter wrote:they should make it so we can have as many pets as we want considering pets is a HUGE!!! part of our class. Pets is the main reason i went with being a hunter to begin with
I disagree... every pet probably takes up a sizeable amount on the server (at least.. considering you'd then have let's say an average of 50 pets per hunter.. and thousands of hunters per server.. that could end up being WELL over millions of pets taking up space). And now, those pets have other data saved with them as well, unlike the very very early stages... We have their names, as well as their specs, and who knows what else might be stored in the database. Honestly.. if we could have as many pets as we wanted..I just.. can't even describe how that would make me feel, heh.

Honestly though, why would you NEED endless pets? You couldn't possibly use them all. In which case you'd just be collecting them to say you had/have them... in which case my "tame for an hour, screenshot, and set free" idea is much better... In that instance y ou can say "I took the challenge/time to camp and tame it! And look! I collected them all!" without hogging up resources on the server, or having endless numbers of unused pets in your stable...

I honestly think that blizz should decide that unless they add a significant number of new families with unique abilities, they'll not add any more slots. And announce it... I mean.. if you REALLY have to collect them all.. You can always just make another hunter!

different skins bro main reason i wished they would do that anhd why would i make another hunter for that when i have a hunter for it already

User avatar
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 2532
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 am
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Gender: Male with both gender toons
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Kurasu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:47 am

wickedhunter wrote:different skins bro main reason i wished they would do that anhd why would i make another hunter for that when i have a hunter for it already
The thing is, this isn't Pokemon. It's not 'Gotta tame 'em all'. Our pets are a major part of our class, as in they have buffs and attacks that they/we bring to the party. The idea isn't to catch and collect every pet in the game. The idea is to cherry-pick your favorite skins and *use* them. Pets aren't like companions and mounts. They're not just window-dressing. It would be like having the ability to carry as much armor and as many weapons around with you as you want without having to take up bag space.

My stable is full, but there's always space that I can open up with pets that will be replaced by a 'shinier skin' or released as something I just didn't bond with. Sure, it means I can't show off my Karoma any more, but if I never used it, why keep it around when there's something that comes along I want more?

If you want to be a collector, that's cool. Collect. But the rules of the game shouldn't change *that* much to allow collecting. Thre's always screenshots, as mentioned above. :)
Come see Kurasu's stables!

User avatar
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 1129
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:35 pm
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Anyia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:32 am

Kurasu wrote:The thing is, this isn't Pokemon. It's not 'Gotta tame 'em all'.
I'm not so sure of that distinction anymore. With the latest 10 "challenge tames", if you want to be able to prove that you've completed said challenges, that's ten slots right there. It's not like in Classic where you could spot a Rhok'delar and instantly know someone had completed the hunter epic quest challenges. Personally I'll just go with helping other hunters get their tames as my stable is already full (though Skarr might have an in). So far I've only homed a Kirix, but that's a start! :)

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by CrystalKitten » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 am

Anyia wrote:
Kurasu wrote:The thing is, this isn't Pokemon. It's not 'Gotta tame 'em all'.
I'm not so sure of that distinction anymore. With the latest 10 "challenge tames", if you want to be able to prove that you've completed said challenges, that's ten slots right there. It's not like in Classic where you could spot a Rhok'delar and instantly know someone had completed the hunter epic quest challenges. Personally I'll just go with helping other hunters get their tames as my stable is already full (though Skarr might have an in). So far I've only homed a Kirix, but that's a start! :)
That's why I said collect screen shots. Keep one slot open.. Tame, keep for a few days, take some shots, etc, and then release. I honestly don't see how I could EVER use even 25 pets. And what's the point of KEEPING something just to say you have it? Get your proof, then make room for the next, heh.
Image
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Monica Gems » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Yeah, 30 would do it. I get yelled at for not having core hound (our other hunters do, does it matter?, and 1 or 2 other skins I'd like to have but just don't have room for.

Edit; It's a sentiment thing. I can easily give sentiment reasons for all of my pets, but irl, I'm not a pack rat; I'm the first to get rid of stuff if I won't use it anymore. The pets are part of us, and are special. To herpaderp toss them out like dirty socks isn't something we enjoy doing.

User avatar
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 am
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by Nanluin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:29 pm

After all of the years (and expansions) with just a handful of stable slots, I have to say that I am still *wallowing* in the luxury of having 25 total slots available, combined with the ability to have up to five pets on constant "call". Thank you, Blizz for the Hunter love shown there!

At the same time, as more rares, and more taming challenges are brought into the game (I hope there will be more, anyway), I'd love to see more stable space gradually made available too, as each tame will often represent literally hours of game-time spent patrolling and camping in addition to the off-game time spent researching strategies and such. That little pet ID and associated talent spec(s) is the only proof that you have that you actually accomplished the tame (screen shots can be photo-shopped). For roughly the same reason, Lok'delar and Rhok'delar will always have a place in my bank, as well as my old Dungeon 2 and Tier 1 full sets -- those pieces represent a *tremendous* amount of game-time investment, and thus have legacy and value to me.

That said, I made do with only four pet slots for a very long time, and I can do the same with 25 slots just fine too. I've already had to make some hard decisions in order to make room for the five Patch 4.2 pet challenge-tames that I wanted to do, and will make more when the "Ooooh, new shiny!" bug hits me again.

It's all a matter of style and personality, really. The argument that giving hunters more stable slots would somehow overload servers or take up too much of Blizzard's computer storage space is a red herring. Storage space is cheap, and if more people stay in the game and *pay* Blizzard to become the equivalent of in-game Pokemon collectors, then Blizzard can make room for that and reap the profits from it. It will just be one more way that the paying client-base can keep coming back for more. If it's not your personal play-style, then simply don't buy the extra stable space -- which I'm sure is how more stable slots would be implemented, like buying extra guild bank tabs or extra bank bag slots.

-- Nanluin
Last edited by Nanluin on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Re: Anyone know if they will add more slots to the stable?

Unread post by CrystalKitten » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Storage space is cheap
This is true, however, it's not JUST the physical space. I've done some web development, and the larger a database gets, the slower it gets(searching especially, which I imagine would be happening very very frequently), and more cleanup maintenance it needs(so.. possibly more longer maintenance like we used to have). Now, I wasn't all that great at database management, true, however, you can only make something so efficient before it's gonna start to bog down anyways. Sure, this doesn't SEEM like a huge problem, but considering that there's who knows how many hunters out there.. and even just half of them go all "Woo! I'm gonna buy 100 stable slots cause I wanna have all the rares!" that would increase the database load by a LOT. I'm not saying that blizzard couldn't find a way to make it work. I'm just saying that there are technical limitations to everything.

I wouldn't be adverse to occasional stable size increases. But doing it (or asking for it)with every single patch just because "OMG NEW SHINIES!" is a bit much. I don't know, that's my personal play style. I'd feel a bit cheapened I think if I didn't have to actually THINK about which pets Iwanted. Part of what makes the ones I have special is the fact that I've decided they are the ones I'm going to keep... If I could just fork out some money (and.. I don't see blizz doing that.. it would be another extra cost on hunters ONLY, which blizz has completely done away with.. arrows.. pet food.. etc) and have essentially unlimited pets, I wouldn't think about WHY I need or want that shiney new model/skin...And I'd just tame at whim.. especially with how easy gold is to make while doing even just dailies in Cataclysm. But yeah, occasional stable increases, if there's a GOOD reason for it, like new families.. or maybe add another 5 or 10 for every 20 or so rares added or something..

I'm just curious.. All those of you that have full stables, and "need" more, how often do you actually use all of your pets?
Image
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave

Post Reply