Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Message
Author
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 7056
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 pm
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance
Gender: Female foxen
Location: I am "here" or so the directory tells me.
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#241 Unread post by Makoes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

I know Xakaal, it really does look like a turtle.

Image

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?


User avatar
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 am
Gender: Female

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#242 Unread post by Rikaku » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Cerah wrote:Ever notice that before Pitch and Sambas were released, every maned lion in the game lived in Kalimdor? It makes you wonder where the Alliance got their inspiration from (since Kalimdor wasn't "discovered" until Warcraft III), or where all the Eastern Kingdom lions went.
Probably because the game is "chaotic fantasy", and like most fantasy things (heck even RL kingdoms) lions are used as a symbol of power and royalty. Look how many European kingdoms and families had lions on their shields, when as far as I know, there are no lions in Europe.

But its still a good question.
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Rikaku wrote: I'm totally the opposite. I feel bad for the Horde getting a Scorpion (cause I still don't see how Horde = Scorpion) when Alliance got a sweet lookin' lion... cause yeah, Alliance Lion does make sense. But Horde Scorpion? Doesn't make sense at all to me.
I apologize for going off topic, but I wanted to indulge my reason for why the Horde mount is a scorpion. When you actually think about it, it's a suiting choice. Like the scorpion, the Horde are tough and thick skinned and they don't take crap from anybody.

The lion is suiting to the Alliance not only because it's the symbol of the Alliance, but because many of the Alliance races are Light-faith based races who seek to uphold justice and tend to come off as being majestic--qualities typically associated with lions.

That's really basic reasoning, but I think the scorpion looks awesome for the Horde and makes sense to me.

That makes sense. I certainly don't see it in a flag, but the traits do make sense. :)


User avatar
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm
Realm: WrA
Gender: Irrelevant
Location: Internet

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#243 Unread post by Nubhorns » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 pm

If we're making useless speculations...I can't see a scorpid at all. There aren't enough 'points' to serve as legs, so you'd end up with a two(or four, if it did some serious contorting) legged scorpid. The bottom line is that scorpids don't really represent the Horde(or Orgrimmar, as that's who the Horde symbol belongs to really) - but you know what does?

Wolves.

Down to the Frostwolf crest where our favorite boy Thrall came from, wolves and worgs have played a pretty big part in shaping and representing the Horde. Fiercely loyal, vicious in combat, a tight-knit 'family' - it fit what the Horde used to be - and might still be - for the most part.

So if you really squint, you can 'kinda' see a wolf. I say kinda because you probably wouldn't unless I gave that speech up there and outlined it:

Image
^ Failed scorpid, wolves.

That said, I don't really buy any of it. A symbol does not have to be a stylized animal, and a mount does not have to be what a symbol may be - Stormwind humans don't ride lions, they ride horses. The Tauren crest doesn't have a kodo on it, and the Draenei crest is suspiciously lacking in elekks. I consider the fact that the Frostwolf crest has wolves on it and Orcs ride wolves as a coincidence, although a particularly obvious one because, c'mon, Frostwolf Clan. Come to think of it, Orcs were riding wolves back on Draenor.

Stormwind uses the lion crest because, as it was mentioned before, lions are seen as noble, powerful creatures - something the kingdom of Stormwind considers itself.

I would take the Winged Lion, Celestial Steed and to some extent Guild Mounts with a healthy grain of salt. Not everything, I have found, really has a Lore explanation, and most attempts to form Lore for them wind up dragging real life logic into it. Logically speaking it would make more sense to ride lionesses if you were going for fierceness rather than laziness, and that would probably make more sense for the Horde anyway - the Alliance generally rides herbivores, with the exception of a few. That said, I believe the Lion mount came to be from lions being seen as powerful, noble creatures - just like the reasoning behind the Stormwind Crest.

And RE 'lions on Kalimdor' - there are a lot of headscratchers like that, although not so easily explained. How did the Dragonmaw clan know what a Dragon looked like prior to doin' the whole Demon Soul thing with Neltharion? Were there Dragons on Outland, much like there were wolves, or did they change their clan name after? The world may never know~

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||


Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17411
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#244 Unread post by Lisaara » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!


User avatar
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm
Realm: WrA
Gender: Irrelevant
Location: Internet

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#245 Unread post by Nubhorns » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Jessibelle wrote:Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)
I didn't see it as arguing, really, I was just speculating like everyone else. Sorry if my post came off as aggressive! :P

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||


TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 14480
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)
Gender: Female playing both genders
Location: WoW

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#246 Unread post by TygerDarkstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

You're right Nubhorns, wolves would make a lot of sense for the Horde, more specifically, the orcs, whom already ride them, as you pointed out. :) And after you pointed it out, if the Horde symbol *had* to be an animal, it does sort of look like a wolf. And also as you said, the symbols don't need to symbolize animals at all. The night elves' is a tree, the forsaken's is a stylized Sylvanas, etc etc.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Horde guild scorpion mount is a sort of reference to the new Clash of the Titans movie since the scorpions look remarkably similar (minus the tent thing on the back of the WoW mount). Either way, the scorpion mount is a totally unique mount, which I think is awesome. :)

And Jess, no one is arguing, it's just a discussion.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]

User avatar
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:53 pm
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand
Gender: Female
Location: In various dungeons, hoping for rare mount drops

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#247 Unread post by Cerah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Rikaku wrote:
Cerah wrote:Ever notice that before Pitch and Sambas were released, every maned lion in the game lived in Kalimdor? It makes you wonder where the Alliance got their inspiration from (since Kalimdor wasn't "discovered" until Warcraft III), or where all the Eastern Kingdom lions went.
Probably because the game is "chaotic fantasy", and like most fantasy things (heck even RL kingdoms) lions are used as a symbol of power and royalty. Look how many European kingdoms and families had lions on their shields, when as far as I know, there are no lions in Europe.

But its still a good question.
Actually, there were lions in Europe -- they just went extinct on that continent during Roman times (maybe too many were used in gladitorial games). Even if there weren't, Africa has been known to Europeans practically forever. North and South America, however, were not, which would be the closest real-world equivelents to Kalimdor. You don't see any European countries having, say, a Pronghorn Antelope on their coats of arms. I'd say something more "American", like a Bison, but they actually do have those in Europe.

Maybe when WoW humans weren't teaming up with high elves to kill trolls, they were killing all the Eastern Kingdom lions. Such a compassionate, nature-loving species, humanity.

Image

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!


User avatar
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 am
Gender: Female

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#248 Unread post by Rikaku » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Nubhorns wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)
I didn't see it as arguing, really, I was just speculating like everyone else. Sorry if my post came off as aggressive! :P

No one's arguing and no one came off aggressive imo.

This is actually an interesting topic, and hey! I learned something, I had no idea there were lions in Europe. And hey, I wiki'd some stuff and apparently there were lions in California at some point! So... go figure right? XD

And back on the Horde thing, I could TOTALLY see a wolf. Wolves are how I always envision the Horde (personally). Even though Alliance is usually correlated to Stormwind and thus Horses, I think anyone whose pvp'd or been around the Alliance will notice that honestly saber cats are the most popular mounts amongst the Alliance (of the faction mounts, not rare mounts). Maybe that's why the Alliance will never have a wolf mount; it's the secret flagship mount of the Horde....


Man, damn my friends for being Alliance. I wanna ride a Black War Wolf :(


TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 14480
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)
Gender: Female playing both genders
Location: WoW

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#249 Unread post by TygerDarkstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 pm

I personally hate the wolf mounts because they use the worg model which means they have a gimpy run. Which is a real shame since they look so cool and it's totally badass to ride a wolf. :P

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17411
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#250 Unread post by Lisaara » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Rikaku wrote:
Nubhorns wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)
I didn't see it as arguing, really, I was just speculating like everyone else. Sorry if my post came off as aggressive! :P

No one's arguing and no one came off aggressive imo.

This is actually an interesting topic, and hey! I learned something, I had no idea there were lions in Europe. And hey, I wiki'd some stuff and apparently there were lions in California at some point! So... go figure right? XD

And back on the Horde thing, I could TOTALLY see a wolf. Wolves are how I always envision the Horde (personally). Even though Alliance is usually correlated to Stormwind and thus Horses, I think anyone whose pvp'd or been around the Alliance will notice that honestly saber cats are the most popular mounts amongst the Alliance (of the faction mounts, not rare mounts). Maybe that's why the Alliance will never have a wolf mount; it's the secret flagship mount of the Horde....


Man, damn my friends for being Alliance. I wanna ride a Black War Wolf :(
Interesting as it may be....it's not about this mount and is way off topic. Might wanna split this into a different topic. ;)

Also I'll highlight my point....in the quote. I never said it was out of hand.....keyword is highlighted.

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!


User avatar
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 am
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)
Gender: Male
Location: I have no idea

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#251 Unread post by Chimera » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 pm

I really hope this guy comes out with 4.1 seeing as i expect to see 4.1 released the week before Children's Week because of new Childrens Week rewards which is the end of this month *heres hoping!!*

Image
Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |


Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17411
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#252 Unread post by Lisaara » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 am

Xakaal wrote:I really hope this guy comes out with 4.1 seeing as i expect to see 4.1 released the week before Children's Week because of new Childrens Week rewards which is the end of this month *heres hoping!!*
So it is! I hope so toooo!

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!


User avatar
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 am
Gender: Female

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#253 Unread post by Rikaku » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:36 am

Jessibelle wrote:
Xakaal wrote:I really hope this guy comes out with 4.1 seeing as i expect to see 4.1 released the week before Children's Week because of new Childrens Week rewards which is the end of this month *heres hoping!!*
So it is! I hope so toooo!

I'm positive it'll be out before then. The PTR updates have slowed down dramatically the last 2 weeks, wouldn't surprised if 4.1 is next week. At least I hope it is.


Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17411
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#254 Unread post by Lisaara » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 am

I've noticed. I hope it'll be out soonish.

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!


User avatar
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2755
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)
Gender: male
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#255 Unread post by Sukurachi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:54 am

I think having a new mount might JUST be enough to get me leveling my lowbies again.
My god, I'm so superficial!

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.


Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17411
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#256 Unread post by Lisaara » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Sukurachi wrote:I think having a new mount might JUST be enough to get me leveling my lowbies again.
My god, I'm so superficial!
I think we all are in a strange sense.

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!


User avatar
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 am
Gender: Female

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#257 Unread post by Rikaku » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:42 am

Jessibelle wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:I think having a new mount might JUST be enough to get me leveling my lowbies again.
My god, I'm so superficial!
I think we all are in a strange sense.
I know I am. My guildies and I can't get over it XD


User avatar
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2755
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)
Gender: male
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#258 Unread post by Sukurachi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 pm

ummm.. how soon is "soon"?

"are we there yet?"

"can I has cheeseburger mount?"

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.


Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17411
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#259 Unread post by Lisaara » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:24 pm

Lmao Suku. XD

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!


User avatar
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2755
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)
Gender: male
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

#260 Unread post by Sukurachi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:49 pm

oh thank god I didn't hold my breath!!

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.


Locked