Unique Pets... Not So Much?

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unique Pets... Not So Much?

Unread post by Equeon »

Okay, I'm getting my information from the 5.0.4 PTR, which takes 10 minutes to get into a server and has disconnects every 3 minutes, so I can understand if these changes aren't final. But when looking through all the pets (took me 4 disconnects to do!) I found that there are many, many duplicate looks and I find this disturbing.
It's one thing for, say, the Emerald Shale Hatchling to be a common version of the previous shale spider, one thing if the common "parrot" pet has the same exact look as the very rare Hyacinth Macaw... I'm not gonna complain about those right now. But why make duplicates of brand-new wild pets?

For example, there are about 4 or 5 different companions, wild or not, with the Strand Crawler "red crab" skin.
Petopia tells me that there are 5 different "regular crab" skins and at least 10 "spiky cata crab" skins.

When creating new wild companions, what exactly is the purpose of loads of identical skins, while still leaving viable companion skins unused?
I'm fine with one or two overlaps because of similarities between zones or wishing to make some pet looks available more easily, but it's ridiculous for so many to be the same.

Some more examples are: "blue moth" skin seems to be used in at least 8 different companions, as does the "Dung Beetle" skin and "Crunchy Scorpid." There are actually only 3 different skins used on all of the scorpid/scorpion companions, while 9 different skins exist (not counting the 5 armored scorpids and amber scorpid, which would also work great as a minipet!)

You'll be seeing a lot of those three looks once pet battles come out -- a LOT.

I'm really bothered by the fact that some of my favorite colors will never be made companions, while there are dozens of duplicate looks. If I didn't disconnect so often by the PTR, I'd make a list of which looks overlap.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Unique Pets... Not So Much?

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I haven't tested it on beta, but I believe many of the wild pets will be color-changers, so they may come in more colors than what is shown in the pet journal. I know I'm personally on the lookout for the brown silithid beetle skin, to match my hunter pet.