Earth in 100 Million Years (My Theories)

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Earth in 100 Million Years (My Theories)

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

These are my theories on what life will look like in about 100 Million years. I personally do not agree with the Future is Wild, a show that talks about life 100 Million Years in the Future, so I will tell you all my own theories.

Geology
Geology has already been theorized, so I shall show you what the map looks like.

As you can see, the Continents have changed quite a bit with many of them being flooded and places like Asia and Eurasia being very mountainous. The Ice Caps are mostly, if not completely melted, meaning the world is VERY wet, and somewhat hot. This means that the animals that I will theorize will have to fit these environments and will survive well in said environments.
Seeing as that was pretty quick, let's go onto plant

Plant Life

Plants are a pretty easy category, and is probably the simplest, next to Geology.
The Earth, if you noticed, is flooded in many continents. So, this means that there will be many plants that can survive in or around water in a hot humid climate will thrive.

Plants with that can survive in marshes will thrive in this new found era, as most of the Earth will be flooded. Asia will be covered in plants that can survive in mountainous regions, such as Monkey Puzzles, will thrive. In the Valley surrounded by Asia and Eurasia, will have small trees and bushes evolved for a flat environment.
Antarctica, seeing as it has a barely an ice cap left, will grow forest with plants that are mostly cold resistant, such as Conifers and other forest plants.

Animal Life
Animal life is incredibly diverse, so I'll probably have many ideas for it. I'll list the animals that I theorize on there continents, here it goes!

Worldwide

Conchogigant
This is possibly the largest creature in history. Resembling a Hadrosaur (A Dinosaur), it can grow up to 200 feet in length and can live up to 100 years. They get there name Conchogigant because of the huge plates that form a shell like structure on back, neck, tail, thighs, and chest. These plates are formed from enlarged bones were they are placed, like the backbones and the shoulder blades.

Conchosaurs
Conchosaurs are a what Conchogigant is, except these ones are smaller and come in many varieties depending on the continent. They, like Conchogigant, have plates on there body and resemble Hadrosaurs. They all travel in massive herds and eat massive amounts of plant matter.
North America - Plotosaurus is a semi-aquatic Conchosaur that swims in the Mississippi Mangroves to feed on fruits and sea grass.
South America & Antarctica - Ammosaura is an animal that likes to roam the sandy beaches of the Amazon Bay and the coastline of Antarctica to lay eggs and forage for food.
Africa - Dendrosaurus is an animal that climbs large trees like the Baobab to escape being eaten by predators like Titantyrannos/Brachtyrannos and Dromosuchus.
Eurasia - Agrostosaurian is an animal lives in the Eurasian grassland and feeds almost only on grass. It's extremely common, and you can find them in herds ranging into the 1,000s.

Ornithorarus
Ornithorarus is a bird that had evolved in a way like no other. Instead of evolving from a common ancestor like all other birds of it's time, it evolved from a recent reptile. And, thus is very reptile in appearance. It does not have the evolved hand like most birds, but instead, has a fully functioned hand. It resembles that of a Pterosaur mixed with a toothy Albatross. It's one of the largest birds ever, with a 40 foot wingspan and 20 feet from head to tail.

Anserionych
These animals were created from genetically changed Chinese Swan Geese to resemble Dinosaurs. They have slowly evolved to resemble the Therizinosaurus, except without the long sharp claws. These animals are about 60 feet long and 70 feet tall. They tend to travel with Conchosaur herds for protection. However, they are not fully protected, as many predators live in the new continents.

Cetosaurs
Cetosaurs are a reptiles that were previously thought to be extinct, Euryapsids. They resemble Plesiosaurs, an animal with a long flexible neck and a gnarly grin. The come in many shapes and sizes, the most common being an animal called Allotriosuchus, which originated in Antarctica. The smallest, being the Brachysaur, lives only in Africa and is able to live some time on land. These animals eat anything and everything, as they are opportunistic feeders.

Philo Turtle
Philo Turtles are aquatic turtles that have seemed to conquer the world. They're quite adorable animals, and thus have captured the heart of the Titantyrannos' as a primitive pet, as there calm and gentle nature and adorable face makes them great pets. Titantyrannos will build complex pens to keep there Turtles by making small streams from river runoffs and then knocking down trees around it. The Turtles will, of course, hop onto the logs and escape, but will come back for food, shelter, and affection. There modern relative is the Fly River Turtle or the Pig Nosed Turtle, a very cute animal already.

North America

Ornithosauro
Ornithosauro is a medium sized raptor-like creature that lives to hunt around the Mississippi Mangroves. They originally evolved from genetically modified chickens, and thus still cluck like them. They're the main predator of North America, hunting Pithecocheirotherium and Conchosaurs by jumping on there sides and slashing violently. They're eaten by Cetosaurs if they venture too close to the water, as the species in the area grow exceptionally big.

Pithecocheirotherium
Pithecocheirotherium is a strange animal related to the squirrel. It has a large, hamster-like face, large monkey-like hands, and a fat bulky body. They live in the Mississippi Mangroves and Amazon Bay, as the fruit only grows there. This, has led to them to there soon demise, as they will concentrate in large numbers out in the open, making them easy targets for predators like Ornithosauro and Gigantocetesaurus. These animals also hold there young with there front legs, making there bellies vulnerable to animals and thus, getting themselves eaten.

Gigantocetesaurus
Gigantocetesaurus is the largest Cetosaur alive. They are also the only cetosaurs with fully formed hind-legs, which they use to hunt there prey such as Conchosaurs, Ornithosauros, and Pithecocheirotherium. They grow up to 50 feet long (That includes the neck, which is small for a cetosaur), and will come on land and hunt Conchosaurs with ease, and even steal food from Ornithosauro. They, unlike most Cetosaurs, lay eggs in the sand of the Mississippi Mangroves, which will only hatch when the nest is flooded (Much like the Fly River Turtle today).

Antarctica and South America

Allotriosuchus
Allotriosuchus is a large cetosaur that lives on the rocky coast of Antarctica. They are able to go into the dense forest and flat prairie to hunt for there main target: Giant Arthropods. Arthropods have seemed to take Antarctica for themselves, as the dense forest that supplies a healthy amount of oxygen can make them into giant sizes. Allotriosuchus lives in other continents as well, were it hunts many other animals including other cetosaurs like the Brachysaur of Africa. They will also, suprisingly, hunt Conchosaurs, despite there size. (They're usually only 30 feet in length).

Arachnogigant
Arachnogigant is a giant spider that feast exclusively on Conchosaurs. It creates a giant pit out of the sand on the beaches of the Amazon Bay and Antarctic Coastline. It's covered in spider silk, which traps entire herds of the animals for it to feast on. They live in large packs, comprised of males, as a whole herd of Conchosaurs cannot feed a single spider. Females will generally find a pack of males, eat a large collection of there stored food, and then mate with the leader. A pack leader is determined by a large blue streak on there abdomen, which glows at night to help navigate the landscape, as they have very poor vision at night.

Gigantodracomyi
Gigantodracomyi is a large dragonfly about the size of a small owl. It lives in large swarms led by a male with many, many, many females (Much like a pride of Lions). They will swarm larger animals (Except Allotriosuchus, which eat them) and bite them, which causes a large amount of bleeding and eventually makes the animal fall over dead. They lay there eggs in the blood of there prey, which attracts flies and mosquitoes for there young to eat. The blood however, quickly dries out, and thus the females must carry there young to the next kill to survive.

Heliconchopesti
Heliconchopesti is a huge cockroach. Despite the name, they are not the animal that lives in garbage heaps and carries multitudes of diseases. Instead, they live solitary lives and evolved from a cockroach that did just that. The part of there name Heliconcho means Spiral Shell, this is because they form a giant spiral shell buy sticking it together with there spit. They can use these shells as a home, a tool in a mating ritual (They will impress a mate by making a shell quickly with the prettiest pieces they can find), a currency for bigger/smaller shells, and a home for there young. They feed on the plants in the forest, and thus do not exist on the small Antarctic prairie, were most of the predators reside (Except Allotriosuchus).

Africa
All of the animals listed also live on Madagascar, but are only in a smaller form.

Dromosuchus
Dromosuchus is a large crocodilian about the size of a Lion, and it acts like one too. It lives in huge prides of up to 50 members with one male leading the whole group and multiple females. Male Dromosuchus' sport a large blue crest, containing pigments that will spread throughout his body when he is about to mate, which is quite often, as these animals live in large prides.

Dromobovine(s)
Dromobovines are named so because of there ability to run. They come in many colors and sizes, but all intermingle on the African Savannah and herd together to find food. Dromosuchus' love to eat them, and herd them into tight corners of hills and rocky canyons so they can devour them in great quantities. These animals are the most diverse animal in Africa.

Onychocetus
Onychocetus is a Dolphin... on land. Because of the waters becoming warmer, the fish that could not adapt began to die out. That included many of the Dolphins food sources, so they had to move back onto land to survive. What they had evolved into was still dolphin-like, but has the legs of a sloth and a horse and the claws of, well, a sloth. It moves on it's knuckles (It's Claws) much like how a horse moves on it's hooves. It's two back legs are very small, they're still developing to land of course, and it's front legs are very large and very powerful. With it's sloth-like claws, it has the ability to climb trees, a great evolutionary advantage to finding food. This animal only lives near the sea in the once large Sahara Desert and now expanded Mediterranean Sea.

Ammohipp
Ammohipp is a relative of the horse that resembles a small, fat Rhinoceros with a shovel-like appendage and feet with goat-like hooves. They make there home in the Mangrove Swamps like the Onychocetus, and thus have evolved to dig dip into the Earth to prevent predation. They (The Ammohipps) will go into the Mangrove Swamps and dig into the sand and dirt at the bottom to make a tunnel. These tunnels can go up to 1,000 feet under the sands, but are not indestructible, as Onychocetus can dig into them and eat them.

Brachysaur
The Brachysaur is the smallest Cetosaur in existence, the largest, being the females, are 3 feet in length. It lives in the Mangrove Swamps with the Ammohipps and Onychocetus eating leftover food and other delicious morsels. Females will use the leftover tunnels of Ammohipps as a nursery for there young, which is a very long and very painful process. Females will carry the baby for one year until it grows have the size of the female. Once she is about to give birth, she goes to a quiet secluded spot and gives birth there. The pup will probably stay in the spot for at least a month, as the baby is born with a large yolk sac in it's stomach and will feed the baby for a long period of time.

Titantyrannos
Titantyrannos as the name implies is a large carnivore that reigns over Africa like a Tyrant. They are highly social, highly intelligent (They're self-aware, which rivals that of early humans), and having shear size (Females being 70 feet in length and males being 65), making a very deadly animal. These animals share the same ancestor as Ornithosauro, genetically modified chickens. Only this time, they create an evolutionary master piece. Seeing as these animals are very intelligent, they can feel pleasure during mating, which is makes then quite prolific breeders. Sadly, there birth rate is quite low, meaning they usually won't have young. What happens is that the female will lay a mass of eggs (A painful process, as she has around 50). These eggs, in the womb, would break and the yolk inside would conjoin with the growing babies' yolk to feed it more and more and last longer in the womb until it would be 1/4th the size of the mother and almost fully developed. The mother will eat the eggs and mate soon after her ''false birth'' for nutrients and to increase the likelihood of becoming pregnant. They only mate to produce young for a few months a year, mating through the rest of the year are solely for pleasure.

Brachtyrannos
Brachtyrannos is basically a smaller breed of Titantyrannos except it lives only on Madagascar and mainland Africa. It shares a universal ''language'' with Titantyrannos, and thus can speak with them and communicate. They will sometimes team up to hunt Conchogigant and Anserionych herds in great numbers. Brachtyrannos is 30 feet long and 10 feet tall, much smaller than it's giant relative.

Eurasia

Titanornith
Titanornith is a gigantic relative of the Flamingo, standing at 20 feet tall. It indeed resembles a Flamingo (Besides the bottom beak being shovel-like to scoop up food). It feeds on shrimp, fish, and insects that live in and around the seas and the salty lakes in the Eurasian Deserts. It, unlike Flamingo, rarely flocks in large numbers, as this attracts predators with all the noise and smell.

Brontornith
Brontornith is named because of it's massive wings causing a sound that sounds like thunder, as it's wingspan is 40 feet in length. This giant bird is thought to have evolved from the Vulture, and eats things like thorny bushes, grasses, and the carrion of Ammocetus', a giant land-bound whale that lives in the Eurasian Desert.

Onyornis
Onyornis' claws (A weapon on the back of it's leg) are extremely long and extremely dangerous. It will hunt full-grown Conchogigant, despite it's small size of a 10 foot wingspan and a 5 foot body length, simply by swarming it in a large flock and slashing in the corners and cracks of it's tough armor. When they take one down, almost every bird get's it's share of food, and the larger ones will come back to protect there kill from other gangs. These animals resemble huge Gulls with a large white mane, and of course, large claws on the wings and feet, which they use to hunt down prey.

Ammocetus
Ammocetus was a land-locked whale that had nowhere to go except... the land. They have evolved to have a shovel-like head to swim through sand and soil and has extremely long teeth that filters animals like they did when they were in the water. It is a common prey source of Onyornis and Ornithorarus, as they are slow and sluggish, making them easy targets to be ripped apart and eaten.

*This topic has gone through a massive overhaul of animals. The version here may look different from before!*
Last edited by Crotalus Horridus on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Turgus
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravencrest

Re: Earth in 100 Million Years (My Theories)

Unread post by Turgus »

I like how the map looks, however in 100 million years the continents will not resemble the continents that we know.
(I am very skeptical of your map, even though it looks cool)

This is due to the fact that the continents are each moving different directions (most of them, and some only slightly) at a speed of between 1 cm and 10 cm a year.
While this distance is not great, over a 100 million years that distance becomes between 621 and 6210 miles.
This distance could be up to 1/4th the circumference of earth, so Mexico could be where Washington is, Hawaii could be where Japan is, etc.
Not to mention the oceanic plates sub-ducting under the continental plates which will change the positioning of the major oceans.

Add in a couple of ice ages which change the shape and elevation of parts of continents (creating lakes, inland seas, etc) and I imagine we would not even recognize our own planet in 100 million years.

-edit-

I also forgot to mention sea level, as the majority of recognizable continental shapes are created by pieces of land that lie only a few feet above sea level, so a shift in sea level, either up or down would also change how each continent looks.

Found where you you got this from.
Even though it came from Science, I am still very skeptical, the continents look way too similar to today.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Turgus wrote:I like how the map looks, however in 100 million years the continents will not resemble the continents that we know.
(I am very skeptical of your map, even though it looks cool)

This is due to the fact that the continents are each moving different directions (most of them, and some only slightly) at a speed of between 1 cm and 10 cm a year.
While this distance is not great, over a 100 million years that distance becomes between 621 and 6210 miles.
This distance could be up to 1/4th the circumference of earth, so Mexico could be where Washington is, Hawaii could be where Japan is, etc.
Not to mention the oceanic plates sub-ducting under the continental plates which will change the positioning of the major oceans.

Add in a couple of ice ages which change the shape and elevation of parts of continents (creating lakes, inland seas, etc) and I imagine we would not even recognize our own planet in 100 million years.

-edit-

I also forgot to mention sea level, as the majority of recognizable continental shapes are created by pieces of land that lie only a few feet above sea level, so a shift in sea level, either up or down would also change how each continent looks.

Found where you you got this from.
Even though it came from Science, I am still very skeptical, the continents look way too similar to today.
I couldn't really find any maps of the Earth in 100 Million Years. But, this one had the best quality to it and was the most common one I found. And seeing as the Earth is getting much warmer, I don't see Earth having any Ice Ages for a while. A long while.

So unless another one pops up, I'll stick to it.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

poor Greenland and Australia
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Slapperfish wrote:Wait, no invertebrates? What happened to all of them? Did they finally realize they were too successful and died to their own needs? Or did they evolve into sapient beings and travel into space to come back in another era? What haaaaaaaappennnnnnnnned D:
I've completely overhauled some of the animals and added new ones, including some giant bugs! :)
Turgus
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Turgus »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:
I couldn't really find any maps of the Earth in 100 Million Years. But, this one had the best quality to it and was the most common one I found. And seeing as the Earth is getting much warmer, I don't see Earth having any Ice Ages for a while. A long while.

As for the temperature being too high for another ice age I am skeptical of such assertions.

While I have seen a few articles that suggest that this might be a possibility I have also seen a few articles that suggest that higher temperatures actually proceeds ice ages, and that ice cover is not what pushes the planet into an ice age but it is a combination of factors including high temperatures, CO2 concentrations and deep water temperatures which inhibit and stall the various long standing systems like the global conveyor belt which in-turn causes a precipitous change in climate and eventually leads to an ice age.

Of course the jury is still out on this as both schools of thought are looking at new datum and testing their hypotheses, but it is a very interesting field to look into to be sure.

And yes, I agree we won't see an ice age for a very long time as it is a 100,000 year cycle which is well beyond our short lifespan.

Sure it might be in small amount of time in geologic time, say 5,000 years, but that is how many human generations?
Where was our species just 5,000 years ago?
Running around in loincloths and killing things with sticks and rocks.

You can speculate and imagine a world far into the future to your minds content, and it happens to be a very cool world if you don't mind me mentioning it, but I figured I should chime in and make sure everyone knows it is just that.

Of course that may be completely unnecessary.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Turgus wrote:
Crotalus Horridus wrote:

As for the temperature being too high for another ice age I am skeptical of such assertions.

While I have seen a few articles that suggest that this might be a possibility I have also seen a few articles that suggest that higher temperatures actually proceeds ice ages, and that ice cover is not what pushes the planet into an ice age but it is a combination of factors including high temperatures, CO2 concentrations and deep water temperatures which inhibit and stall the various long standing systems like the global conveyor belt which in-turn causes a precipitous change in climate and eventually leads to an ice age.

Of course the jury is still out on this as both schools of thought are looking at new datum and testing their hypotheses, but it is a very interesting field to look into to be sure.

And yes, I agree we won't see an ice age for a very long time as it is a 100,000 year cycle which is well beyond our short lifespan.

Sure it might be in small amount of time in geologic time, say 5,000 years, but that is how many human generations?
Where was our species just 5,000 years ago?
Running around in loincloths and killing things with sticks and rocks.

You can speculate and imagine a world far into the future to your minds content, and it happens to be a very cool world if you don't mind me mentioning it, but I figured I should chime in and make sure everyone knows it is just that.

Of course that may be completely unnecessary.
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate that. :)

Ice Ages are pretty weird, to say the least. The Cretaceous Period was quite hot and had a high level of carbon dioxide, and that if they keep rising today, then we can have a Cretaceous-like lifestyle in 200 years. High carbon dioxide levels and hot temps seem to deter an ice age from forming, if we look before and soon after the age of dinosaurs.

Of course, we may never know what causes Ice Ages.