#saveourstriders

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

#saveourstriders

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Since we can basically all agree they need to give the bug the same treatment as the robot which is take the equipment slot away so it retains its water walking ability but can’t use anything else I think it is time we as a community band together.

As a community we have shown that if we make a big enough stink Blizzard does listen Hati is an example when he was first announced as going away hunters and non hunters banded together as one to #savehati even Wowhead had it on the front page so it was big news and the end was hunters did get the good boy back.

So now I ask the community let us put our differences aside and as one speak up for the bug we can call it #sos, save our striders.

I bet if it works the same as it did for Hati then they will listen and not take away its water ability and treat it as same as the robot.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Re: #saveourstriders

Unread post by Niabi »

I'm not much of a fan of the waterstrider personally, and would love it if my favorite mounts had the ability to run on water. I see them everywhere! They are the only ground mount that can run on water at the moment aside from those affected by DK and Shaman abilities. I'm in favor of the added diversity and utility the upcoming changes would bring.

Tear me a new one in the comments if you want but this just how I feel on the subject.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Saffron
Realm: Bronze Dragonflight EU

Unread post by Saffron »

Personally I can't wait for the change, I don't have a water strider even though I have the rep for them. I just think they are too ugly to be in my stable so i end up using water water potions instead.

I can see how its annoying for people that have them though but they have been around for several years so at least they got a lot of use out of them. But it will be nice to see people charging across water on a variety of mounts :)

Just a shame Hati doesn't have a water walking option.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I agree that the strider should keep their base water-walking ability, I see no reason to take that away, but I'm afraid I'm not bothered enough about it to cause a fuss when we're getting the ability regardless, and in a more varied form.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I’m really not bothered by the water strider losing its ability. We gain far more than we lose by Blizz making it so that most mounts will be able to run on water. It sucks that Blizz has removed the ability, but it is something that they have been wanting to do for a while now.

Besides, if they didn’t, then why even use the new water walking shoes aside for using a different mount? You could just use one of the other pieces of equipment and use the water strider whenever you get to water.

I don’t think that this is worth creating a movement for. Blizz was never against Hati, I don’t think. They just needed the time to create the questline for him. We just made it clear that we cared about him. There are not as many people that truly care for the water strider and there are many that, like Blizz, would prefer diversity.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

At first with this I was a bit miffed-I worked my tail off to get that waterstrider and I use it all the time.

But consider-hunters (waterwalkers), DK, warlocks, Shaman, etc all have (had) a water walking ability at some point. Going from my water walking shaman to my warrior got irritating when I had to pull the waterstrider out instead of just keep on running, yes, but may classes already have the ability.

Besides, I will be honest, I only use the 'strider because it is water walking. Give me that ability on anything else-like when I am on my shaman-and I will certainly use it.

Also, with this happening I can put water walking on my two seaters and carry my friend instead of listening to her sigh and huff in irritation when I keep going and she has to swim. Despite my encouragement, she is never going to sit through the grind of getting the waterstrider, she does not have the time or effort to dedicate to that-so this at least allows me to keep using that ability, while carrying her-without having to listen to her frustration-which I am all for!

Also, my understanding is that the item that grants water walking is going to have the same rep requirement as the waterstrider itself? If that is the case, you still have to do the achievement to get waterwalking, but can now have a different look if, like me, you are getting a bit tired of the little bug.

Yeah here it is:
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Shade wrote:Also, my understanding is that the item that grants water walking is going to have the same rep requirement as the waterstrider itself? If that is the case, you still have to do the achievement to get waterwalking, but can now have a different look if, like me, you are getting a bit tired of the little bug.
That's why I don't get why some people are up in arms over the whole thing. The item is from Anglers rep, and I'm willing to bet it will be Exalted required, same as the mount. Maybe they will place it at Revered. Maybe. I would be extremely surprised if it was Friendly or Honored honestly. Regardless if people want to walk on water with their mount they will have to do the rep grind just like for the mount anyway, so why be upset the mount will lose it? And another thing, I never understood why people refuse to do the rep grind for the Anglers, it's just 3 daily quests that can be done in under 30 minutes most of the time. It's ridiculous how easy it it. :?
ImageImage
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Not only that, but you can buy rep tokens for the Anglers with badges during MoP TWs. I have had a few guildies that got to exalted that way.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

The fact remains that letting Water Striders keep their innate ability but barring it from using another equipment slot at the same time is the real choice.

Yes, some people would take the route of having an advantage by being able to use their Water Strider on the water and the Barding on any other mount for example, but that's just part of the choice. If that's what they want, they should be able to do so. If they don't have the self-control to instead use water shoes on other mounts because they already have the Water Strider but dislike how it looks, that's their issue. Blizzard shouldn't need to handhold you.

Currently, what they're doing is essentially dictating how you should play, because being conflicted about what equipment to take or choosing to run with a slightly more advantageous way to play at the cost of getting to water walk on every other mount is considered "the wrong decision," so they should instead make that decision for you preemptively.

And in the end, all they'll do is make water walking the main/best option, because a lot of people are now likely to choose that over any of the other options.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Not playing wow but I am just curious. .If I remember correctly an alt with no reputation could use the waterstrider. Can a low lvl alt use the water walking tricket /what ever it's called or do they need the reputation?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Tårnfalk wrote:Not playing wow but I am just curious. .If I remember correctly an alt with no reputation could use the waterstrider. Can a low lvl alt use the water walking tricket /what ever it's called or do they need the reputation?
That was the intention. A character with the reputation can pick the equipment up for (I think it was 1k gold) and mail it to an alt.

And so far, it seems like the equipment is intended to be per character, rather than account-wide.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Honestly, I hate the whole mount equipment thing in its entirety. The strider is just part of it. I wish they had actually done something creative for once, like having mount families with specific, special abilities a la pet families. That would actually have been interesting. This is just more disposable, uncreative kododung.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The water walking boots only cost 50g, so it really isn't that bad to buy them for alts.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I personally don't feel like it's that big of an issue. Being able to walk on water is infinitely more useful than being able to pick herbs without dismounting, in my opinion, so I can see why they cut the ability out. Sure, it'll kinda sting to not have access to it at lower levels, but I'm excited at the idea of not having to hop on a different mount when I need to run over to some world quest that's way off across the water on some island or something.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

PrimalTazza wrote:Sure, it'll kinda sting to not have access to it at lower levels
What are you talking about? If you have a level 100+ character, and have the Water Strider, you can buy the item and send it to a low level alt to equip it starting at level 20 so that all it's mounts can walk on water. Level 100 unlocks the mount equipment system account wide, and so far having Exalted with the Anglers means you can buy the Water Strider, as well as the Water Walking item that is account bound and only requires level 20 to use. Everything is good to go! :D
ImageImage
Shaiandra
Realm: US WrA [A/H]

Unread post by Shaiandra »

Hey! Speak for yourself, but I love Hexapos! I had fun hunting him and I don't want him losing his ability. I can do without the barding since its easy enough to make and I can just switch as needed. I honestly use Hex more than barding anyways. The waterstriders aren't ugly darn it! -grumps-

But yeah, give me the choice, I want my pet to keep his perk! I can live without barding.

To skies unflown,
To waters unexplored,
To paths not yet walked,
To creatures who have yet to run beside me,
I say to you, this challenge you give, I accept and conquer.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Shaiandra, are you talking about the hunter pet or the mount? Because the pet isn't losing anything, it's just the mount that will lose the water walking ability by default.
ImageImage