Shadowlands General Discussion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Shadowlands General Discussion

Unread post by Wain » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:57 am

Cool! Good luck! :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm super curious as to how they'll handle certain class abilities...will BM hunters need to be max level to tame exotic beasts? I'd like to them to at least bring back picking specs pet families. I find myself not using certain pets anymore cause of the locked spec thing right now.
Make a reploid happy, leave a comment! http://maximumoverdrive.deviantart.com
Also check out Avalon Daydreams for prints! https://www.etsy.com/shop/AvalonDaydreams[/center]

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 am

MaximumOverdrive wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 pm
I'm super curious as to how they'll handle certain class abilities...will BM hunters need to be max level to tame exotic beasts? I'd like to them to at least bring back picking specs pet families. I find myself not using certain pets anymore cause of the locked spec thing right now.
It'll be interesting to see. I kinda agree regarding pet specs - on paper it seems interesting to differentiate families by giving them different specs, but in practice it spoils a lot of them. There was a reason the class designers moved away from that some years ago and it seems weird they just went back to it, especially when it was the kind of regression that nobody was asking for.

As far as exotics goes, hopefully they’re tameable at lower level. But as I’ve said in the past I would prefer to see that category removed entirely as it’s a little redundant when hunters can tame all kinds of weird and crazy things that *aren’t* exotic, yet only some hunters can tame things that are classified as exotic but are actually pretty mundane.

If we want to keep some pets only for Beast Masters then one option would be to make all families open to all hunters, but classify a subgroup of each as special or exotic or whatever. Take turtles, for example: the majority could be tameable by anyone, but maybe only BM could control a fancy fire turtle or the glowing stone one.

Spirit Beasts could remain a family composed of only exotic pets, or they could be split up and each merged into the family it’s associated with. So, a number of families could end up with “spirit” members which get extra powers and are BM only, but which still take their core abilities from that associated family. That would also mean that creatures like spirit moose no longer end up with nonsensical abilities like Claw and Growl, which were created with the assumption that spirit beasts were cats.

GormanGhaste
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:15 pm

I like the idea of everyone being able to tame everything, but BM hunters get 'exotic' abilities for each family.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 am

GormanGhaste wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:15 pm
I like the idea of everyone being able to tame everything, but BM hunters get 'exotic' abilities for each family.
Agreed :)

WerebearGuy
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong, Borean Tundra

Unread post by WerebearGuy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Ignoring current exotics, what sort of interesting abilities could each pet family get? My choice for rodents would be Sunder Armor, because HUGE SHARP TEETH. It'd also make Rodents worth using, poor forgotten family.

Crawgs are the best hunter pet. Prove me wrong.
Oh wait...you can't!

ImageImageImage
Name the game these characters are from, and I'll be amazed.

Tårnfalk
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Azol-Nerub ~ Tårnfalk #2397

Unread post by Tårnfalk » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm

WerebearGuy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm
Ignoring current exotics, what sort of interesting abilities could each pet family get? My choice for rodents would be Sunder Armor, because HUGE SHARP TEETH. It'd also make Rodents worth using, poor forgotten family.
And also include rats, mice, beavers (is that a rodent.. ohh well fits in the grp), rabbits, hares, prairiedogs and so on

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Flight Rising Lair