- Posts: 2702
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm
- Flash images are disabled here.
- Animated GIFs are acceptable so long as they don't cause seizures. I have sensory issues and I am prone to migraines, so please be kind to me (as well as other readers).
- I've tried to be pretty liberal in setting file size limits, but remember that some readers are on slow connections and please try to keep file sizes down when you can.
- If you have a specific image in mind that doesn't meet these guidelines, drop me a line and we'll talk about it.
- If you see an avatar or an image in a signature post that seems to be going a bit overboard, please don't hesitate to contact me about it. You can use the ! Report button, send me a private message, or send me an e-mail.
- Because these guidelines are new, there may be older posts or signatures that don't quite meet the guidelines. This is not the fault of the poster! It's my fault for not having everything in place when I opened the forum. So don't yell at anyone, just let me know about it and I'll take care of it.
- Images used for avatars should be 50-100 pixels in height and 50-100 pixels in width.
- Avatar images shouldn't be any larger than 50KB in file size.
- Images used in signatures should be no larger than 800 pixels wide and 300 pixels high. (These guidelines were chosen to try to give members some flexibility in their signatures. I'd really rather not see every post end with an 800x300 image.)
- Signature images shouldn't be any larger than 300KB in file size.
- You can only use one image in your signature. (This is entirely so I can use the software's file size checking.) In most cases, merging multiple images into one is quite easy, and the community here will be happy to help.
- Images that are embedded in posts using the "img" BBCode should be no larger than 800 pixels wide and 600 pixel high.
- Images that are attached to a post as an attachment do not have explicit size requirements because the software will create a thumbnail (a smaller version that readers can click on to see the larger version).
- Images that are not embedded at all but only linked to (like this: Big Lizard) can be any size you like.
- Be sensitive to what forum and thread you are on before you post too many big pictures all at once. On the Stories & Art forums that is probably fine; on Pet Discussions it's probably not.