Dire Horns?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Re: Dire Horns?

Unread post by Equeon »

Myzou wrote:I always saw exotic pets as the pets that show some sort of sentience. The only ones that doesn't qualify to this is worms. However, as Jormys are in this family, and do show SOME sentience in the Northrend questing, it goes to reason this was why.

Devilsaurs may just be more intelligent than Dire Horns. I always viewed Exotic Pets as pets that required more dedication to bonding with, and a deeper emotional connection.

Plus, Direhorns are most likely weakened from all the troll voodoo, and were probably recently revived with the Thunder King's resurrection, so it goes to reason their mind wouldn't be as strong as they were.
To be honest, I just viewed them as pets that were a bit "tougher" to tame. Like, Beastmasters were trained in special taming and handling skills that other specs lacked.

For example... Water Striders and Silithids are more "unnatural" and insect-like, requiring additional skills in order to befriend them.
However, wolves and eagles, for example, are some of the few pets that people can "tame" in real life.

I realize there are a few exceptions to this idea, but I still think it works.
For one thing, Devilsaurs are massive and terrifying meat-eaters.

Dire Horns, I'm guessing, are territorial but obviously herbivores.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

I'm curious Melissa, when Direhorn uses that Armor Plating, does it continuously slam it's tail to ground?
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I figure that Devilsaurs were exotic because they were 15 stories tall before you tame them. lol The Raptors aren't. They're roughly man sized and you encounter them at level 4 or 5 when out questing.

Good find on the Dire horn! I'll get a green one if one's available. I'm not diggin the brown/yellow one.

Melissa
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring EU

Unread post by Melissa »

Aggannor wrote:I'm curious Melissa, when Direhorn uses that Armor Plating, does it continuously slam it's tail to ground?
Nope... It just raises it's tail up for the duration of the spell... A friend pointed out it kinda looks like he's trying to poop >.> ........ I have weird friends sometimes T_T
I have a Tumblr!
I no longer main my Hunter; Legion changes have unfortunately put me off from the class. However I still plan to stick around for the community here ^^
My Current Main! (Updated once more as I switched factions!)
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

Exotic Pets in real-life tend to range from dangerous to extremely dangerous depending on what the person is owning. Things like pet Crocodiles (Zoological specimen is a more common term) are very well able to kill you in the blink of an eye. However, with the proper handling, you can reduce that risk to almost nothing by careful handling and heavy socialization. I see exotic pets in WoW in the same way, as something like a Devilsaur would also take proper handling from someone considered an expert in animals (Aka, Beast Master Hunters).
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Actually, Equeon, did you know that Triceratops, in recent discoveries, now suggest the majority of the horned-family were omnivores?

Quote: "And finally, the weirdest part. After examining the beak and jaws, paleontologists reached the conclusion that Triceratops may have been partially carnivorous, probably scavenging after T-Rex, or even scaring smaller predators away from their kills. Its strong jaws were able to crush bone and flesh as easily as they could grind plant material. The result would be an incredibly bizarre-looking, intimidating beast that behaved more like a giant wild boar or an entelodont (a carnivorous pig-like creature) than the placid vegetarian of classic imagery. We simply will never look at Triceratops the same way now."

Source: http://listverse.com/2011/02/22/top-10- ... they-were/

Scroll down the list to number 1.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

PorrasouxRex wrote:Actually, Equeon, did you know that Triceratops, in recent discoveries, now suggest the majority of the horned-family were omnivores?

Quote: "And finally, the weirdest part. After examining the beak and jaws, paleontologists reached the conclusion that Triceratops may have been partially carnivorous, probably scavenging after T-Rex, or even scaring smaller predators away from their kills. Its strong jaws were able to crush bone and flesh as easily as they could grind plant material. The result would be an incredibly bizarre-looking, intimidating beast that behaved more like a giant wild boar or an entelodont (a carnivorous pig-like creature) than the placid vegetarian of classic imagery. We simply will never look at Triceratops the same way now."

What. :shock:

Well, I think they're still herbivores in WoW... probably? I am so surprised at this.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

PorrasouxRex wrote:Actually, Equeon, did you know that Triceratops, in recent discoveries, now suggest the majority of the horned-family were omnivores?

I'm glad you brought this up, Porrasoux!
I'm currently under the belief that Ceratopsians in general were omnivores, as many herbivores today will feed off of other dead animals on occasion
(Hippopotamus and Camels are a good example.) Another thing is that Triceratops Horridus by no means was a gentle herbivore. I've said this before in another thread, but a test was done seeing if a Triceratops could actually charge things. They used materials to symbolize the animals. A substance (Can't think of the name!) as the Triceratops Horridus' skull that's almost identical to characteristics of what would've been an actual skull, and things such as steel honeycomb and leather as the stomach of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. What they found was that the animal would shatter the weakest point in it's skull if it charged at something (This doesn't matter, really) like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but what they found was that the horns could go straight through all of the wood, the steel honeycomb, and the leather.

What can you derive from this? Well, you can derive the fact that these were not gentle herbivores but most likely semi-aggressive omnivores that would fight something they didn't like without hesitation. Of course, most of the time it would be rather calm and peaceful, though.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Well the Dire horns don't look to be "Just" A triceratops either. They look like a Triceritops that got it on with an Ankleasaur, and maybe a bit of Stego thrown in. lol

They're what ever wow says they are.

As for "Real" Tri's. I always looked at that beak and just assumed they scavanged as well.

Dagonium
Realm: Frostwhisper

Unread post by Dagonium »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:I've said this before in another thread, but a test was done seeing if a Triceratops could actually charge things. They used materials to symbolize the animals. A substance (Can't think of the name!) as the Triceratops Horridus' skull that's almost identical to characteristics of what would've been an actual skull, and things such as steel honeycomb and leather as the stomach of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. What they found was that the animal would shatter the weakest point in it's skull if it charged at something (This doesn't matter, really) like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but what they found was that the horns could go straight through all of the wood, the steel honeycomb, and the leather.
And in WoW, I can survive being eaten, stabbed, crushed under foot and all round maimed. But hey, magic.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Dagonium wrote:
Crotalus Horridus wrote:I've said this before in another thread, but a test was done seeing if a Triceratops could actually charge things. They used materials to symbolize the animals. A substance (Can't think of the name!) as the Triceratops Horridus' skull that's almost identical to characteristics of what would've been an actual skull, and things such as steel honeycomb and leather as the stomach of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. What they found was that the animal would shatter the weakest point in it's skull if it charged at something (This doesn't matter, really) like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but what they found was that the horns could go straight through all of the wood, the steel honeycomb, and the leather.
And in WoW, I can survive being eaten, stabbed, crushed under foot and all round maimed. But hey, magic.

When in doubt, magic.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Snowy »

Crotalus... You're insanely good at going off-topic. If you want to talk about the real Triceratops, make a new thread about it. :roll:

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Snowy wrote:Crotalus... You're insanely good at going off-topic. If you want to talk about the real Triceratops, make a new thread about it. :roll:
Hey now, I was the one who brought it up.

*Puts the thread back on the track*

I hope Dire horns get more than one ability, like a horn toss, physical damage increase, or a stun. : /

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Personally I've never been too bothered about the abilties pets have, but I do hope they have something that makes them worth the questline other than their looks.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Considering the Spell Deflect does not directly affect the Hunter, like a Sporebat's spell haste, it goes to reason they'll have another ability, even if they aren't Exotic.

Honestly? I'd love if they gave them the stamina or the stats buff. To me, Stamina fits them.

And I really wish people would stop expecting them to give them something to make them better than any other pet family. They generalized pets to prevent people from having to use one pet *cough* wolf *cough*. Why would they go back on that and introduce a pet you'd be forced to use to be optimal?
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Myzou wrote:Considering the Spell Deflect does not directly affect the Hunter, like a Sporebat's spell haste, it goes to reason they'll have another ability, even if they aren't Exotic.

Honestly? I'd love if they gave them the stamina or the stats buff. To me, Stamina fits them.

And I really wish people would stop expecting them to give them something to make them better than any other pet family. They generalized pets to prevent people from having to use one pet *cough* wolf *cough*. Why would they go back on that and introduce a pet you'd be forced to use to be optimal?
I'm suggesting they have an ability similar to the Rhino's, or a stun using that tail.

Just because you have to do something special to tame them, does NOT mean they get something that other pets couldn't do/an advantage over them.

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

That wasn't in reference to you. :P It was in reference to a few people here and in other threads who keep saying they think Direhorns should have, well, as Snowy put it above my post, an ability that makes doing a quest to tame them worth it.

I already said to you I could see them having a stun like a wasps. :P I just think we need more pets with a stamina/stats buff, personally, considering we only have 1 pet each for those, and they're both exotic. ;P Just like everyone else, just my opinion. xD
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Ickabob »

I managed to sneak onto Thunder Isle and snag myself a Dire Horn too!

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Ickabob wrote:I managed to sneak onto Thunder Isle
Explain in detail. I wish to explore this new special land and tame all ze dinosawrs.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Ickabob »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:
Ickabob wrote:I managed to sneak onto Thunder Isle
Explain in detail. I wish to explore this new special land and tame all ze dinosawrs.
How to Get to Thunder Isle
1. Queue for the new LFR (I chose Last Stand of the Zandalari) and zone into the raid.
2. Die inside the raid.
3. Resurrect at the spirit healer. (You'll have to take the rezz sickness.)
4. Explore the island!

NOTE: This isn't the official method to get there, so you *might* get in trouble. I'm pretty sure we aren't even supposed to be on the island. Do this at your own risk!