Rak'Shiri changed colors

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Re: Rak'Shiri changed colors

Unread post by Pent »

Mania wrote:And Pent, your questions are interesting but perhaps a little academic for this discussion. Feel free to start a new thread to discuss the reality of hunter pets and our emotional connections to them. ;)
Dang it... I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper.

I'll drop the discussion because I am spent, and I don't want to start a whole other topic that will probably be locked within the first six hours from unruly participants not listening to what each other is saying.

Evidently it is a touchy subject even though I am only see it in black and white. :|

Get it? Black and white... kinda like Rak'shiri's new skin. :P
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:
the pet that I had
I can relate to this.
I had a pet, King B, named Sorrow. I loved him. I learned to play with him by my side.
At 71 I abandoned him to tame a new Northrend pet. I don't know why.
Ever since, I've missed him, badly. I tamed a new cat once, and even named him Sorrow, but he wasn't the same.
I tried several more times. It never worked.
I've moved on and tamed new pets, but I've come to a conclusion: As much as I loved both the skin and the pet, what I missed in the end was the memory of the pet I had. No new identical cat can fill in for Sorrow. He's gone. He'll always be gone. And as depressing as that may sound, I got new pets and, because of Sorrow, grew bonds with them, too. No matter how many new cats I tame, none will be the cat that taught me how to play, but he's still there in my memory. And as much as I miss the memory Sorrow, no cat can ever be that memory. I've moved on as a person and I'll never feel right with Sorrow by my hunter's side again. The pet that I had is exactly that - a pet that I had. Not have. Never have.

Yeah. And now I remember it's a game, and feel like a dork. >.>
Then I might suggest that if retaming doesn't work, then you have changed as well. Your huntering since that time has shaped your character, and your pet might feel that distance as well.

Kinda like when you see an old flame from years ago, and you go get lunch, but it's awkward, and you realize that you both have changed.. and that old feeling just isn't the same anymore.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Pike wrote:Now that the discussion has segued into the idea of abandoning and re-taming, I have actually done that. I had a pink raptor named Wash waaaay back in the day who I had to abandon because of stable space issues (this was back when there were only three). It was probably a good year or two before I retamed him and now he is my Pet of Choice and has raided/instanced with me throughout all of WotLK. I love him to bits. I don't really spend a lot of time dwelling on whether or not he is "the same" Wash because that doesn't affect my love for him.
I remember that story..
Senna-Umbreon
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

Slickrock wrote: Nothing's wrong with being attached to a particular piece of artwork, or the memories that are involved with the experiences with that artwork.

But if you can make the logical leap that the particular record in the database isn't important, it's easier to move on when things change.

For Flameclaw, there are memories of the corpse-run to the BE starting zone to tame him. But I set him free when I had to, and I race-changed, and now have retamed since I could. The record in the database doesn't matter at all.

But if Duma just isn't the same for you, then you have to find some way to move on, or find a new pet to bond with.
Well, I'm starting to think this isn't worth arguing about anymore. As all I'm getting from you is that I need to pretty much forget Duma. Not going to happen. He's still important to me. And I do have other pets I've bonded with.. Maybe not as much as Duma, but I love them too. But I'll still always remember Duma. No matter what. And that's that.

Aaaand I'm done with this thread. See ya. *Skedaddles, hugging a cheetah plushie tightly*
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Then I might suggest that if retaming doesn't work, then you have changed as well. Your huntering since that time has shaped your character, and your pet might feel that distance as well.
I meant to include that this was exactly what I was hinting at, but I probably forgot to. >.>
Anyway, yes, that's... exactly what I was hinting at. xD

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Pike
Realm: Silver Hand (US) (A) and The Venture Co (US) (H)

Unread post by Pike »

Slickrock wrote:
Pike wrote:Now that the discussion has segued into the idea of abandoning and re-taming, I have actually done that. I had a pink raptor named Wash waaaay back in the day who I had to abandon because of stable space issues (this was back when there were only three). It was probably a good year or two before I retamed him and now he is my Pet of Choice and has raided/instanced with me throughout all of WotLK. I love him to bits. I don't really spend a lot of time dwelling on whether or not he is "the same" Wash because that doesn't affect my love for him.
I remember that story..
Now that you mention it I think I DID write an RP story for that somewhere. I am apparently out of the loop with myself.

ANYWAYS *pushes thread back on topic*

To use the example that you provided Slickrock, of a loved one growing older, well, while it is similar, that is less likely to shock you because it happens over time, bit by bit. If it happened overnight, then I imagine it would throw you for a loop at first. I think that's what happened to a lot of us Teal Kitty fans. It took me a moment to come to turns with it. If Rak'Shiri was turning a little bit more white every day over the course of several years then I imagine this thread would not be here ;)

But I'm probably re-treading old ground now. Mostly I am saying this just to get the thread back to Rak'Shiri since I helped to derail it *cough*
Slickrock

Senna-Umbreon wrote:
Slickrock wrote: Well, I'm starting to think this isn't worth arguing about anymore. As all I'm getting from you is that I need to pretty much forget Duma. Not going to happen. He's still important to me. And I do have other pets I've bonded with.. Maybe not as much as Duma, but I love them too. But I'll still always remember Duma. No matter what.
Never said you had to forget.

Memories are wonderful.

Trying to live in them can be a problem. If a retame doesn't work for you, just cherish those memories.
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

I have to say it does make me sad that Rak'shiri isn't the old minty model anymore. I've always been drawn to Rak, and I've tamed and released it many times over. Like I said in a different thread, I really wish that King Bangalash had this skin instead, or that the white tiger Frostsabers around Rak's spawn point could've gotten this skin instead. But I'm very happy for anyone who has been wanting the skin.
Slickrock

Pike wrote:To use the example that you provided Slickrock, of a loved one growing older, well, while it is similar, that is less likely to shock you because it happens over time, bit by bit. If it happened overnight, then I imagine it would throw you for a loop at first. I think that's what happened to a lot of us Teal Kitty fans. It took me a moment to come to turns with it. If Rak'Shiri was turning a little bit more white every day over the course of several years then I imagine this thread would not be here ;)
We are gonna get a lot of that with Cata.

And those gradual changes can be shocking too. Just try on a pair of jeans you haven't worn in a year or two.. :shock:
Slickrock

Razzy wrote:I have to say it does make me sad that Rak'shiri isn't the old minty model anymore. I've always been drawn to Rak, and I've tamed and released it many times over. Like I said in a different thread, I really wish that King Bangalash had this skin instead, or that the white tiger Frostsabers around Rak's spawn point could've gotten this skin instead. But I'm very happy for anyone who has been wanting the skin.
Now I will agree that upgrading King B would have made more sense....
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Razzy wrote:I have to say it does make me sad that Rak'shiri isn't the old minty model anymore. I've always been drawn to Rak, and I've tamed and released it many times over. Like I said in a different thread, I really wish that King Bangalash had this skin instead, or that the white tiger Frostsabers around Rak's spawn point could've gotten this skin instead. But I'm very happy for anyone who has been wanting the skin.
Well, there is a thread on the suggestions forum urging them to make just that sort of change. They listened about restoring Gezzarak to tamable status...maybe they'd listen if we made that kind of noise about this too. It's linked in this thread, if I recall.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Tahlian wrote:
Well, there is a thread on the suggestions forum urging them to make just that sort of change. They listened about restoring Gezzarak to tamable status...maybe they'd listen if we made that kind of noise about this too. It's linked in this thread, if I recall.
Considering how close it is to Cata's release, I highly doubt they're gonna switch him back or do anymore huge changes.

Not saying it hurts to try. Just saying don't hold your breath or get your hopes too high about it. Personally, I think they've spoiled us rotten.
Last edited by Lisaara on Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Taluwen wrote:
Tahlian wrote:
Considering how close it is to Cata's release, I highly doubt they're gonna switch him back or do anymore huge changes.
Wouldn't count on that. Look how close we are to release and how much we've gotten in the past few days. :) Anything is possible!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

*points to her comment which she edited* :)

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

I just don't think we can count on it being "too late" for changes at this point. These gigantic, sweeping changes to pet skins may be cosmetic, but when you change something on that large a scale, you need to set aside time for additional fixes before the actual launch.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'd count it more on being after the launch cause the skins aren't really a huge focus. There's bugs still needing to be fixed that are much more up there in priority.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

Taluwen wrote:I'd count it more on being after the launch cause the skins aren't really a huge focus. There's bugs still needing to be fixed that are much more up there in priority.
Oh, of course. But SOMEONE put in all the suggestions for the skin changes, so that same someone is probably paying attention and may slip in some more tweaks.

Besides, we're STILL missing a shale spider non-exotic ability. Pets aren't totally done anyway.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:
Taluwen wrote:I'd count it more on being after the launch cause the skins aren't really a huge focus. There's bugs still needing to be fixed that are much more up there in priority.
Oh, of course. But SOMEONE put in all the suggestions for the skin changes, so that same someone is probably paying attention and may slip in some more tweaks.

Besides, we're STILL missing a shale spider non-exotic ability. Pets aren't totally done anyway.
This is definitely true! I forgot about that. You got me there, Kalli. Hehe!

I really think possibly Rak'shiri can stay mint and Shy becomes the Dawnsaber color and the White Tiger Mount model goes to either King B or the regular Frosty models.

LisaaraPokefarm

Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

Shy would be pretty as a Dawnsaber :)

Still, pets are not done... so I can only hope Rak will remain with his handsome aqua coat.

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Astratia wrote:Shy would be pretty as a Dawnsaber :)

Still, pets are not done... so I can only hope Rak will remain with his handsome aqua coat.
I think so too. :3 It's the only saber model I've yet to see ingame besides the mount.

LisaaraPokefarm