Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Tahchi

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by Tahchi »

Cheers for all the hard work!

My personal 'want' list:

I want a Bakar for sure, probably 2, maybe 3 variations.
A brown Ottuk.
One or more Flowering Crystalspines.
A gold or red Slyvern.
A pink salamanther with gills.
A blue and green Peafowl.
Maybe a beaver, if the model is scaled down; they're just too big for my taste as they are at the moment; I hope the older beaver models will become tameable as well.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

This is a Mighty big list of pets, but these are all that i want, I occasionally change my mind, but those are the specific looks I am dying for

I want these if their families are swapped and or if BM is fun again
Last edited by worgpower on Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

My wishlist is smaller than I thought. Just means it will be quick to get em all, assuming they don't forget to fix any mislabeled pets. I'm also unsure if I'll want the ice bears, since the renders don't take into account any sort of ingame lighting. I feel like they won't look the same ingame as they do here. Now, the real question; what older beasts got flagged tameable? I wish I could go answer my own question, but no alpha access.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

We still have a few leftover creatures from bfa, pandaria, and shadowlands, hopefully when the beta gets into a much later stage, more creatures should be flagged tameable, we still need a family of Seals
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Updates for the Dragonflight model preview guide.

- I removed all the mix-and-match colour variants for magmammoths and phoenixes for now. For the mammoths, especially, there were too many. I still have the data and will look at some less intrusive way of presenting it.

- I added little notes to most models.

- I've ordered most of the looks so now they're grouped by the same geoset variation. For example, in the bruffalons it'll now list all the colours for the variant with big antlers and large nose horn, then all the colours for big antlers and smaller nose horn, etc.

I'm considering adding an extra level of complexity to the way models and looks are handled, which I didn't want to do but the amount of variations is just getting too messy. What I think I'll do is add a "model variation" level of category, below that of model, so I can, say, create a thunder lizard model variant for "electric plates, electric nose horn, and spiked tail" and link all the relevant looks to it. Then, when it comes to displaying models with variations I can use the variation names as subheadings, and then simply display the colour under the look thumbnail again. It creates an extra degree of categorisation (which I wanted to avoid) but reduces the amount of garble on the thumbnails, so I think it'll be a net improvement.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

For a "less intrusive" means of showing them, how about a separate page parallel to unused looks? Something like "Unused Model and Texture Variations", and slap in things like moths and amani bears since they've got a silly amount of possibilities. As for complexity with models that have multiple variations, here's maybe a ridiculous idea; keep one "main" skin (such as Bruffalon with all horns), and have it so that when you hover over that model's icon, it gives a very clear notice that there's alternate models?

I made up a quick and dirty example of what I mean. I'm sure this would be a ton of extra work, but the organization could potentially make up for that. It'd also help alleviate the issue with those thunder lizard names a bit, since you'd be under the "Blue Primal Thunder Lizard" category, meaning the names would just involve the horn and spike combinations.
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (182.53 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Any model examples that don't make it into the game on launch could be moved to the previously mentioned "Unused Model and Texture Variations" page.

EDIT: You basically said what I just posted lol. The heat's getting to me over here on the East Coast of the USA. The extra level of complexity would absolutely be a welcome addition, from a viewer's standpoint. Categories and sub categories add an extra level of organization that makes for a much cleaner look. Plus, it would help those with crappy computers/load times by reducing the number of images on one page, considering the Pet Looks page is kind of huge in terms of images it has to load at one time.

My Flight Rising lair

Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

TBH those Fanged Bears look like the druidic form for playable TUSKAR!!! Just wishful thinking.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

They’re the hidden artifact Druid bears, but the markings, shoulderpads, face paint, and the bones on the back have been removed, yet they forgot to remove the braids and nose ring, they’re the same as the wild versions of the kul tiran and zandalari bear and cat forms, and the owlcats which also still have braids, I hope the spiked ursoc model also gets added since the form is natural and has no armor

Edit - the bears still have facial markings
Last edited by worgpower on Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I have to say, from the images. The rhino's look terrible.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

The rhinos are very beefy compared to the old model, and I love it, they look good in the model viewer
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I didn't really look past the new rhinos' heads, but now that I have, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? Their legs are so unreasonably thin.
Screenshot 2022-07-24 165259.png
Screenshot 2022-07-24 165259.png (198.61 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

My Flight Rising lair

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

How do they carry all that weight haha, blizzard with their mistakeable creature portions
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Rhinos truly are the Dracthyr of pets this time around; models desperately in need of being burned to the ground and swept away, never to be spoken of again. After seeing those legs, much like seeing everything about the Dracthyr, the models were ruined for me.

My Flight Rising lair

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I main survival so it doesn’t concern me as much, I really hope everything will look better ingame, and I also noticed that wotlk rhinos also have super tiny legs, but it doesn’t look as extreme as the new rhinos, and as for dracthyr, where’s the option for body type no. 10
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The weak rhino legs were very noticeable to me, too, but I really like the rest of the model. They just look like they had polio as kids. The thunder lizards are a bit the same, but it doesn't stand out in the images I took.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I do have to agree. A lot of the beasts looks like they took old rigs and manipulated them just a bit and then upgraded their skins to higher def to make new critters. I have no problem with time saving tricks, but the end product shouldn't end up looking wonky when you do so. Some of the necks and legs on a lot of the beasts just don't look good. :(
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

What looks awkward to me is when the head seems far too big for the model, like the new thunder lizards. I imagine it's something to do with adding new assets onto the existing rig and needing more room to fit them over or something, but they just end up looking a little misproportioned. >.<
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Vephriel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:46 am What looks awkward to me is when the head seems far too big for the model, like the new thunder lizards. I imagine it's something to do with adding new assets onto the existing rig and needing more room to fit them over or something, but they just end up looking a little misproportioned. >.<
That's what I noticed, too. The legs and the head just do not look right at all.

Excellent job on the images, Wain! :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:13 pm My wishlist is smaller than I thought. Just means it will be quick to get em all, assuming they don't forget to fix any mislabeled pets. I'm also unsure if I'll want the ice bears, since the renders don't take into account any sort of ingame lighting. I feel like they won't look the same ingame as they do here. Now, the real question; what older beasts got flagged tameable? I wish I could go answer my own question, but no alpha access.
At this point in the Alpha, I am highly doubtful that anything in past xpacs has really been touched. It's possible, but usually that is done much later on with the taming pass and/or the addition of new pet families.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Now you point out how big the rhino heads are it's really noticeable. It feels like the draenor pigs. Slapping a new model onto a different rig and hoping for the best. The new model seem to be using weird animations, as it's run looks more like a gorilla. The new thunderlizards look Way to compact for what they are. Like they are trying to fit into a sort of pre set animation box.

Excuse my scrathwork
As it stands I feel like the head's going to clip through everything...
I might just stick With my current thunderlizard. The herbivore looks more intimidating than the ancient powerful dragon kek.